Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 20:50 Edited at: 28th Jun 2013 04:32

ABOUT THE PROJECT

OpenFPS is a community project to create a complete first-person shooter game engine, and develop a game with the engine. When finished, the project will include a whole bunch of features. Since the code is open source, it will be released for free so that anyone can use it! Once finished, the engine will include a level editor, user interface system, multiplayer capability, scripting, and much more... The game being developed alongside the engine, titled Biostorm, will include multiplayer gameplay as well as a (hopefully) fun campaign mode. Quite a mouthful.

The project was started here on the TGC forums back in 2009, and is being developed with TGC software. Anyone can contribute, whether you are good at programming, music, 3d art, or anything else. We're always looking for help... No matter how much skill you have, any contribution is appreciated. No addition is too small... The goal is to have at least a few people working on OpenFPS at any given time, so that progress is always being made. So far, we've been very successful with that, but things are still far from finished. To find out how you can help, read our to-do list in this thread. Don't forget to check out the SVN (see links below) for the current project.

CONCEPT

June 1998. An agent goes missing while on a mission to the remote Saria islands.
20 years later, a new rogue island nation has appeared, and with a vial of "antiprotein", a chemical that attacks on a cellular level and kills organisms instantly; and access to a highly dangerous nuclear bomb - they are in a position to attack any nation with it. If the bomb explodes, it will spread the antiprotein, killing everyone within thousands of miles. Their demands to the UN, they will fire the antiprotein bomb at whichever developed country pays them the least over the next 2 week period. When two weeks is over the lowest payer will be eliminated, everything and everyone in the nation killed. Several countries are hesitant to spend anything, given both the economic conditions, and their own principles. However all the countries fear that one will stab another in the back at the final minute. So an international force is agreed to head to the island and dismantle the weapon, before the nation are able to fire. You have two weeks to bring the world to rest. You have the tech, the money, and the heavy weapons. But do you have enough time?

SHOWCASE

Nothing to see here... yet!

PROGRESS / TO-DO LIST
= Completed, = WIP, = Concept
= Low Priority
= Medium Priority
= High Priority

* Miscellaneous
Created Forum thread post [Thenerd]
Created SVN to manage code [Thenerd]
*Engine
Created Menu System / UI Module [Miso]
Created TBM Module [Bmaczero / Kaedroho]
*Graphics

*Gameplay

[img]https://openfps.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/openfps/Resources/OpenFPS Images/website/images/youtube0.png[/img] Video: Menu system (OLD)

[img]https://openfps.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/openfps/Resources/OpenFPS Images/website/images/youtube0.png[/img] Video: Early Game Engine
A very early demo of the game engine, along with some shaders.

[img]https://openfps.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/openfps/Resources/OpenFPS Images/website/images/youtube0.png[/img] Video: Evolution of OpenFPS
This video, generated by enderleit, shows the progress of the SVN in a visual manner. Really cool.

January 13th, 2011: Revision 200 has just been uploaded! At this point, the OpenFPS engine has a complete UI system, the start of a level editor, and more than 5000 lines of code. We are working on a multiplayer system, and game engine using Newton.

February 1st, 2010: Google Code SVN created! You can now upload code through the svn, see the links section.

January 6th, 2010:
Important! How you can help! Now up!
http://devstorm.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=116

August 3rd, 2009:
New wiki at http://openfps.wikia.com/

July 27th, 2009: We have a plot.

Quote: "A new rogue island nation has suddenly appeared, and with a vial of "antiprotein", a
chemical that attacks on a cellular level and kills organisms instantly; and access to a
highly dangerous nuclear bomb - they are in a position to attack any nation with it. If the
bomb explodes, it will spread the antiprotein, killing everyone within thousands of miles.
Their demands to the UN, they will fire the antiprotein bomb at whichever developed
country pays them the least over the next 2 week period. When two weeks is over the
lowest payer will be eliminated, everything and everyone in the nation killed.
Several countries are hesitant to spend anything, given both the economic conditions, and
their own principles. However all the countries fear that one will stab another in the back
at the final minute. So an international force is agreed to head to the island and dismantle
the weapon, before the nation are able to fire.
You have two weeks to bring the world to rest. You have the tech, the money, and the
heavy weapons. But do you have enough time?"

July 25th, 2009: Project started!

[img]https://openfps.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/openfps/Resources/OpenFPS Images/website/images/tgc_media/icon1.png[/img][img]https://openfps.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/openfps/Resources/OpenFPS Images/website/images/tgc_media/header_media.png[/img]
[img]https://openfps.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/openfps/Resources/OpenFPS Images/website/images/service-.png[/img]

[img]https://openfps.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/openfpsResources/OpenFPS Images/website/images/tgc_media/widget-svn.png[/img]

[img]https://openfps.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/openfps/Resources/OpenFPS Images/website/images/tgc_media/widget-youtube.png[/img]

if you join the team and want the banner in your sig, here is the BBCode:

[img]https://openfps.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/openfps/Resources/OpenFPS Images/website/images/service-.png[/img]

Thanks for visiting this thread! Don't be shy... leave a comment!

August 5th, 2012 - Biostorm thread test[b]

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 22:42 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 14:48
I think that the palyer should have the option of being a different type of player depending on how they like to play the game ie sniper or heavy, but someway of meaning that if theyre a sniper, they have to play like a sniper, and not go running in to houses like a heavy...

Ill help out, but im not gonna be consistent so dont sign me up. Ill just contribute every so often.

Monk

I like work. It fascinates me. I sit and look at it for hours.
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 00:14 Edited at: 9th Feb 2011 20:34
good idea, i'll add it to the first post.

Maybe the sniper is quicker and can climb tall structures, but cannot bash through doors and is weaker. The heavy class could be tougher and stronger, but slower, less accurate and not able to climb.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 00:42 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 14:48
Yeah stuff like that that would make the player think more about playing.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 00:52 Edited at: 28th Jun 2013 04:21
Quote: "
I like work. It fascinates me. I sit and look at it for hours

The Start of my FPS "

i just noticed that!
mind if I use some of the code?

Attachments

kuljot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 01:05 Edited at: 26th Jul 2009 01:10
I'M in. Just give details. I prefer programming. I"ll also be able to record sounds of electricity and stuff. So just tell us how to start. In my opinion it should be army type along the story line of cod 4.

Gateway GT5628 Quad Core Desktop Intel Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core 3072MB RAM / 500GB 7200 SATA II Hard drive DVD RW 18X multi dual NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT ....
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 01:12
Sounds like a good idea. I won't be able to devote any time for code because I really need to work on Fields, but I'll throw in some media whenever I can.

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 02:04
Ill be happy to help with programming . I must be honest with you though, I'm VERY independent in programming.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 02:07
Wasn't there already a open source DB FPS project years back?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 02:13 Edited at: 26th Jul 2009 02:15
Ah, yes..."Nox", wasn't it? Doesn't mean there can't be another of course .

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
kuljot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 08:37
Well the nerd just tell us how this is going to be orgaized. I am sort of new to the forums and never been involved in an open source project. Like is there going to be a seperate website for this or is everything going to happen in this post. So if i have media or code i just post it here. Thats kind of messy.

Gateway GT5628 Quad Core Desktop Intel Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core 3072MB RAM / 500GB 7200 SATA II Hard drive DVD RW 18X multi dual NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT ....
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 13:33 Edited at: 26th Jul 2009 13:36
Its about time that we have a project made by the community, lets just hope that the nerd is a good lead.

Quote: "Aim for Half-Life"

Well I'm definitely in then!

Heres some of my work if you want to see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHo8qCq3X70.

I've improved alot since then though.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 14:13 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 14:48
Quote: "i just noticed that!
mind if I use some of the code?"

Yeah you can use that if you want. I am still updating that every so often, it just needs rewriting at the mo.

There was another OpenFPS project apart from Nox, but that seems to have died.... http://blackout.vectramedia.net/index.php

As far as I know, none of the other communinty FPS have been completed.
I must be honest with you though, I'm VERY independent in programming."

Lol. Thats alright, you can work on terrain....

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 14:23 Edited at: 26th Jul 2009 14:28
Quote: "There was another OpenFPS project apart from Nox, and surprisingly it was also called OpenFPS... "

actually, it was openFPSC.
[edit] oh yeah, blackout! i missed your post, Monk

Nox was a great game and engine, but its sad it never got finished. i loved the style.

Quote: "Well the nerd just tell us how this is going to be orgaized. I am sort of new to the forums and never been involved in an open source project. Like is there going to be a seperate website for this or is everything going to happen in this post. So if i have media or code i just post it here. Thats kind of messy."

for now it will be on the forums, when it gets bigger and harder to maintain I might make a website where you can download and update code or versions of the game.

As soon as I have time I will update the first post (later today).

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 14:44
I tried this a few years ago. Good luck!

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd be willing to participate as a Game Designer, 2D Artist and 3D Artist.

Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 17:30
May I suggest that only free dlls are used, also no dark physics, dark lights etc...

This way everyone will be able to use it.

Nothing to see here, move along please.
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 17:51 Edited at: 26th Jul 2009 17:52

Its best to add collision for boxes and spheres too. Its quicker to setup box collision for a box than poly collision for a box. Same for spheres.

Also:

Make sure you only activate bodies that need to be activated(use SC_setObjectCollision(On/Off)), and make sure you group them and use SC_SphereSlideGroup, etc.

Another good thing to do is create a separate object for physics. Physics does not have to be near the detail as visuals, so using separate objects is alot better.

^^^ Add all of that into your collision system ^^^

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 18:52 Edited at: 26th Jul 2009 18:58
Attached is what I propose for the Game Design.

I can make a full document if this is liked, which would also clarifying on the ways classes may interact, the damages and speeds of characters etc, etc.

It's unsure what kind of FPS this is as you mention storyline, but you also have stuff about classes.

Attachments

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 19:00 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 14:49
Thats a decent design doc, especially as no real plans have been laid out yet.
One of the things that should be though of is are we going modern and realistic or slightly alienish and sci-fi.

Alien theme would have more room for creativity but I think there are load of these already and would like to see this heading down the more realistic route. Maybe the not to distant future...

kuljot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 20:46
You it would be real nice if we could make this realistic, sort of like call of duty 4. This is my first open source project so i am really excited. Do you guys think we could use sounds of electricity. I can record those today. This game should have the strategy theme of half life 2. Like we could have an electrocuted fence. This is where my electrcity sound is goign to be useful. Then the soldier or player has to somehow turn off the electrcity. Then he can move on.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 20:59 Edited at: 26th Jul 2009 21:04
You need to come up with an idea of how were going to stop multiple people editing the same source file at one time. This is really annoying as you end up with 2 different source codes, and if you use one you lose all the changes made in the other.

I can get you your own board on devstorm if you want (see sig), so you can have as many different threads as you need. Devstorm isn't launched yet but perfectly usable (its on a subdomain though). It will be moved to http://www.devstorm.co.uk in the next month.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 22:36 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 14:49
Different people working on different functions within the code, so that if multiple people work ion the code, theyre not changing the same bit, but different functions. For this to work youd probably need one person heading each section of the code.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 23:05 Edited at: 26th Jul 2009 23:12
What if someone wants to improve someone elses function?

I've tried that method before and it doesn't work.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 23:20 Edited at: 26th Jul 2009 23:29
I will think up some way to do source control, projects like this really need it. I might consider the devstorm idea, if this takes off.

Quote: "Heres some of my work if you want to see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHo8qCq3X70.

I've improved alot since then though."

if you've improved from that, wow!

here is a list of people who might work on it so far:
Monk (not consistant) - various coding.
kuljot - programming, sounds.
BMacZero - various media.
kaedroho - programming.
Dared1111 - Game Designer, 2D Artist and 3D Artist.
did I miss anything?

Quote: "May I suggest that only free dlls are used, also no dark physics, dark lights etc...

This way everyone will be able to use it."

definitely!
for physics, we will probably use newton. lightmapping hopefully will be done in the editor, probably going to be 3dws or map-scape.

kaedroho - that collision code is from another game I made, it works great for static level geometry, but that is about all. You seem much more familiar with sparkies than me!

Monk - I would probably want to lean towards a more realistic game.

Dared1111 - lol! Fat Man! No, really the design document is great. I'm definitely going to use it...

STORY IDEA!!!!!
this is the "unrefined" version, just look at the general idea...

A corrupt island nation has secretly been working on a version of what they call a "quantum bomb", a weapon that when release would attack organisms at the cellular level, killing them instantly. the nation has set a deadline - two weeks for the UN to meet their demands. two weeks before the bomb is ready. two weeks before everyone dies. two weeks for you, a member of an elite squad of top soldiers to stop them. you have the tech, the money, and the heavy weapons. but do you have enough time?

(think James Bond)

Phew! that was a huge post

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 00:17
i've set up a temporary web site where people can keep track of and update files:

can someone test them, i am not sure if the links work. can you test both?
link 1
link 2

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 00:48
Both links work perfectly

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 00:49
which one has no ads?

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 00:50 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 01:03
The seccond

EDIT: none of them. the seccond has a little line of text at the bottom. But that doesnt really matter as this is free project anyway.

Quote: "if you've improved from that, wow!"

That used my old project called UberEngine which I stopped working on in Janurary to create BlitzTerrain. I still have the code, Ill send it to you if you want?

Quote: "list of people working on it:
i will add people here who are working on the project...
-thenerd (me)"

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 01:19
EDIT: none of them. the seccond has a little line of text at the bottom. But that doesnt really matter as this is free project anyway."

no banner ad at the top?

Quote: "That used my old project called UberEngine which I stopped working on in Janurary to create BlitzTerrain. I still have the code, Ill send it to you if you want?"

i would love to look at the code!

Quote: "Quote: "list of people working on it:
i will add people here who are working on the project...
-thenerd (me)""

i forgot to edit that!

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 04:54
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 05:02
There was one of these on the RGT forums years ago. Started in 2002 if I remember correctly. Had Pincho Paxton, Timpuktu, me(striker25), and a few others that I can't remember.

ABOVE ALL get a solid design document. Wow I can't stress that enough. With a lot of people, and no direction, you will get nowhere, fast.

I hope this really works out! The three years or so I spent on Company were very cool and a lot of fun! Here is the link to the website for Company.

Good luck guys!
Greenlig

Blender3D - CS3 - VISTA - DBPro
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 05:47
I agree with greenlig. Your priorities at this moment:

- Story ideas, gameplay ideas. Know exactly what the game will do before you do it! This will be especially important in a community project because if people just start adding features willy-nilly things could get ugly.

- Source organization. Look up STATE MACHINES, it's something BatVink suggested for the last community project but I don't think we ever got the hang of it...

kuljot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 07:22
So pretty much as soon as we get our first level/ world built we can start the real programming.Let me warn you guys im not super good at programming but i can do decent work.

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 08:16 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 08:17
I can help if we use Dark Physics i already have an engine for ya

kuljot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 08:25
Hey wickedy it would be nice if you could join the project but the promblem with using your engine is alot of us don't have dark physics. Well i can't wait until this project really starts going.
Your A.i. tutorial should help here when you finish it.

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 08:35
okay, the last part will be a while, because im fine tuning the AI im going to use for the example in my own game.

kuljot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 10:19
Well hey guys when are we starting the real work. When are we starting the coding. Is anyone making the level yet?

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm going to make the brainstorm into a proper document with the clarification and enhancements on details.

Quote: "Dared1111 - lol! Fat Man! No, really the design document is great. I'm definitely going to use it..."

I named Fat Man after the Atomic Bomb dropped on Nagasaki, Japan at the end of WWII.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 12:51 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 14:49
Quote: "Story ideas, gameplay ideas. Know exactly what the game will do before you do it!"

Quote: "ABOVE ALL get a solid design document. Wow I can't stress that enough. With a lot of people, and no direction, you will get nowhere, fast."

Quote: "Well hey guys when are we starting the real work. When are we starting the coding. Is anyone making the level yet?"

We havent got a plan yet.

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 12:54 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 13:49
I really want to join in
but I dont know if I'm good enough...

but anyways, if you need any help, i'm normally doing nothing

Yours
N3wton

EDIT

MAIN MOVEMENT CODE

thats the full source code to the attached project, needs sparkys and Matrix1 Utility Plug-ins, just an advancement on the current collision code you've got, basically its sphere collisions but it has double the height, so it's like two spheres on top of each other so it has the shape of a human

Attachments

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 15:30 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 15:38
Something I should mention:
I have a similar idea to the one I'm designing -an old abandoned project, where instead of 3 classes, there are many, where the player takes on the form of an animal, with mutations like them and still with the same versatile role, so for example:

The Chameleon has a grenade which makes friends in an area invisible.

The Eagle can fly and effectively destroy helicopters, pick up enemies etc and can use from a sniper rifle to MG for different playstyles.

The Tiger has claws and does more melee damage, can tear up doors, can pounce.

The Wasp can fly and has a unique weapon which fires stings.

It would be a lot more work than the other idea but would hold the whole versatile roles thing together better.

Edit: The original document is coming on well, I just have to explain the shooting, sprinting and jumping mechanics, then I only have to explain classes and environmental features. I'll leave weapons off for now. I'll do them at a later time, thenerd and other members need to approve of the weapons of course.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 16:05
I put your old version into a word document with more info, including my storyline and level design info.
it's attached.

Quote: "I'll leave weapons off for now. I'll do them at a later time, thenerd and other members need to approve of the weapons of course."

as long as it is realistic and logical, it can be in. this is an army game, so any real guns will work.

Attachments

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 16:07
Alright, Ill upload UberEngine as soon as I get the GUI working again. I sort of messed it up.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 16:18 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 16:22
like the story?

(ignore the attachment, just fixing my sig)

Attachments

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 16:45
Story doesn't seem too original...just my feeling.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 16:55
yeah, I am more of a technical person. I agree with you - an original story is much better. I was just throwing it out there.
We really need a complete design and story before starting anything else, so i'll wait for Dared1111 to finish his document.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 16:58
I just found this lying around, notes I took from an old thread:

What Makes a Good FPS?

Non-monotonous gameplay. New strategies, new skills.

Shaders!

Large worlds, buildings with interiors.

Multiple melee attacks (kick, pistolwhip, etc).

Vehicles, but not OP or too hard to get.

Different types of missions: stealth, recon, gun

If you make noise, enemy looks and checks it out.

People in explosions disintigrate.

Lightmaps.

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!

Many many weapons.

Squads commanded by player.

Dead bodies stick around.

Don't make "good guys - bad guys" stereotypical.

Have some epic events - massive explosions, buildings collapsing.

EPICNESS - Many things moving, armies, guys everywhere, etc.

Immersion, believable story

Damaged people stay damaged! (Especially the player)

Other ways to kill people than just shooting (dropping barrels, triggering an avalance, booby traps).

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 17:02 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 17:13
cool!
I'm trying to use nox as an example, it was perfectly balanced.
i'm going to play it now

[edit] I played it.
some of the best things about nox were:
-great level - the lightmapping and music added to the effect.
-seamless gameplay - everything worked perfectly.
-the vehicle - it was great fun running over the enemies.
-a large variety of weapons: the canon, chaingun, shotgun, uzi, crowbar, and even the bulldozer made the game enjoyable.
basically the same as your list!

I hope to have these aspects in OpenFPS too, because they make for a great game.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 17:58 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 18:01
Here's the progress so far. I'll completer it either tonight or tomorrow.

Attachment attached very attachment-esquely.

Edit: I'll be sure to add most of the suggestions from BmacZero and thenerd tonight too.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 09:31:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 09:31:52