Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / First Try at a Tank

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a render of a tank model I put together in a few hours. I think the model is about done unless I want to add more detail to the treads, and of course I still need to texture it (I hate texturing so much...) but what do you guys think? Suggestions? Any help with the texture?

2048 polys, worked on it about 3-4 hours, made in Blender, might animate the turret later and of course make it FPSC ready. (Will that many polys make FPSC run slow?)

Don't ask, don't tell <-< >->

Attachments

Login to view attachments
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 22:13 Edited at: 16th Aug 2009 22:15
Very nice but, 2 suggestions:
1. I think you could cut down on the cylinder polys for the wheels and the two turrets and use a normal map to make it look smooth and very cylindrical.

2. The base of the tank where the thing that spins around is attached should be up higher or something (more rectangular), right now it looks too flat and almost alien like. I could be wrong though, I forget what a real tank looks like.

Other then that keep up the good work!

Use Google first... it's not rocket surgery!
Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 22:17 Edited at: 16th Aug 2009 22:22
Quote: "use a normal map to make it look smooth and very cylindrical."

I.. don't really know how to do that

Thanks for the feedback though! I could raise the turret up a little, seems like most modern tanks have it pretty close to the base though.

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 23:04
No don't move the turret up I mean make base thicker. Right now it's really think and looks funny.

Use Google first... it's not rocket surgery!
Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 23:10 Edited at: 16th Aug 2009 23:13
Ah, alright I'll do that. (but if I make the base thicker I might have to move the turret a little anyway...)

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2009 00:25
besides that it is pretty good! with a texture and animation it could be perfect!

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm really bad at texturing.. I'm still working on unwrapping it actually. Any color suggestions? Symbols to put on the sides perhaps? Animation requests? I was just going to make the turret swivel left and right but if I should try something else let me know. (I probably won't animate the treads, I'm kinda new to animation and don't want to try something too complex)

SJHooks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2009 01:15
Quote: "I'm really bad at texturing"
Ditto.
Quote: "besides that it is pretty good!"
Agreed ^^.
Gamer X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2009 03:51
Scorple, I sent you a couple of e-mails regarding this.

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2009 22:32 Edited at: 17th Aug 2009 22:32
Nice tank! You might make the base thicker, but it also depends on how large it is in comparison to a person.

Quote: "Symbols to put on the sides perhaps? "

Camo colors with some vents or seam grooves? Flag for the owner's alliance, maybe some skulls for 'kill counts'. Serial numbers?

Quote: "(I probably won't animate the treads, I'm kinda new to animation and don't want to try something too complex) "

You could always separate the treads from the tank, and scroll a texture of treads in the appropriate direction.

There's something in this room that makes you can't speak well.
teamhalo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2009 22:57
I like it, just remove some of the cylinders in the treads. Looks good!

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I picked up a technique for making camouflage from scrap today so I'll be able to make a better texture for the tank. I'll be making some more variations of it and still need to add a few details, but here's screenshot of the tank with some urban/arctic camo.

The texture's 2048x2048, I'm not planning on making any more changes to the model itself unless someone sees something drastically wrong with it. I made one animation so far, planing on making one more.

I might also make some other textures with more basic coloring, but maybe some extra details that I won't put on the camo.

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 02:28
Looks nice, i would start taking the camo off from the tracks and cannon

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 05:11
also the antenners might wanna be black or something, and it looks kind of boring atm the cammo like takes away all the detail u have added to the model itself =/

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, the camo does make the details a bit harder to see, I'm still going to make the antennas and the ends of the cannons black, and change the coloring with the top hatches too. Haven't.. really.. made much progress on adding detail.. or making variants or the camo.. or the more basic colored versions I mentioned.. anyway I'm trying to make it look good, I'll try to finish it up in the next couple days.

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 10:18 Edited at: 18th Aug 2009 10:19
Okay, finished detailing that camo design and in the editor it was looking pretty nice (IMO), but unfortunately that just couldn't last in the FPSC, I might have to move this to an FPSC forum soon but when I got it FPSC ready I encountered several problems with the texture. This is probably the best result I got, and also the most unusual.. (IMO..)

How is it texturing 1 section but not the rest? The full model is made up of 3 objects, but in the Blender display the whole thing is textured. Is this another example of Blender's DirectX importing/exporting deficiency?

SJHooks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 18:44
IMO, I think you shouldn't apply the camo on the cannon of the tank, just leave it grey or black, but as you said it's to keep it harder to see, just saying as it looks a bit weird with a camoed cannon (IMO again)...
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 22:21
That camo design is neat. I agree with the others, though, that you should take it off the cannon.

I'm not familiar with Blender or FPSC, so I don't really know what the problem would be as far as absence of texture. Just a guess: is it just one texture map? If so, you might combine them into one. Does FPSC allow you to apply a texture in the interface, or does it just use the texture data stored inside the .x file?

It is weird that the top is textured (which I am assuming has the animation on it.) and the rest (which is probably not animated) is not...

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 23:18
Quote: "Is this another example of Blender's DirectX importing/exporting deficiency?"

Yes, it is. In order for me to get models into FPSC from Blender, I had to purchase Milkshape, export the models from Blender to Milkshape as a .obj file, and then from Milkshape to .x.

There's an update 'fix' on Blender's .x exporter here, but I haen't tried it yet, so I can't say weather or not it works.

Kravenwolf

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm guessing FPSC doesn't agree with my plan to leave it as 3 objects when I export it as a DirectX, if I combine it all into 1 object before I export it it does come out fully textured in the FPSC. The only problem with that is that I can't have one part of it animated and the rest static if it's all one object. I'll do some more experimenting but if that's the only way I can have it fully textured the animated version might have to be made up of 2 separate entities. As for the cannon texture I guess I've been outvoted, I'll change it so the whole thing is black.

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 23:21
You can have it animated as one object, just animate the selected faces, just select like all of the turret faces and animate it, that's what i have done previously.

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 23:30 Edited at: 18th Aug 2009 23:34
Really? Before when I tried animating something in edit mode and not the whole object it didn't work Guess I'll go give that a try!

...Just tried that and it didn't work

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2009 00:40 Edited at: 20th Aug 2009 07:27
Okay! (sorry for double post) Finally made some progress with texturing it, here's a look at it in FPSC.

As for overall progress..

Model -
Camo Texture 1 -
Camo Texture 2 -
Camo Texture 3 -
Basic Texture 1 -
Basic Texture 2 -
Basic Texture 3 -
Animation 1 -
Animation 2 -
FPSC Tested -

- Done
- Pending
- Not Started
- Experiencing Difficulties

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2009 01:48 Edited at: 19th Aug 2009 01:48
Those tanks look pretty slick all lined up and ready for war! Good luck getting the animations working!

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2009 01:53 Edited at: 19th Aug 2009 02:25
Thanks CoughMist! I'll get back to working on the animations later, I'm still working on some more texture variations. I'm planning on making an urban, desert, and of course classic army green variations of the camo and simple textures. If anyone wants to see any other variations just ask, I've got plenty of spare time.

Here are the camo textures I've been working on:

I think now I'll get back to getting the animations to work, but let me know what you guys think!

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, still not making much progress on the animation problem, but I did at least get a little movement to happen. So, I set the animation frames to 300 and gave it a custom default script that had an animate=1 action. Anyway after all that I fired up the test engine and two things weren't right: 1, the collisions were wrong, 2, instead of the nice animation with the turret swiveling left then right, it just sort of twitched like it was only playing the first two frames. Anyone know what's wrong?

SJHooks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2009 07:27 Edited at: 19th Aug 2009 07:50
Hey! Looking good. I'm glad you decided to retexture the cannon, it really looks better without it. The only improvement I could say you could make on texturing would be to add the bolts and the creases of the edges of the lines of where the metal is posted together. You don't have to do it, and personally I think it would be pretty complicated without doing quite some research on how a tank like yours is made... Either way it looks good, you should experiment with background objects and textures to actually make the models blend in with the background, that would be awesome in a game *You sneak thruogh the room and can't see anything, and then BAM! These tanks come out of nowhere... Reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 4, they did the same with the Gekko robots in the Shadow Moses Island stage, where they blended the Gekko in with the background snow REALLY well
Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback SJHooks. I was planning to do some metal creases and bolts, but I'm still not too great at texturing and that's require working with the UV map and I just didn't feel like doing it. I might add those and some other minor details later on. As for in-game examples, I put it in a quick test map I threw together a while back and took a couple screenshots-

I might make a small stage to put the forest camo one in later, but as we all know FPSC is a little shy with outdoor areas so making an appropriate scene for that and the desert variation may be difficult. I think I might be able to get the animation to work pretty soon thanks to some scripting assistance from GamerX.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2009 15:41
the model looks good but the texture needs something more, heres a link to an image on CG textures.
http://www.cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=19457&PHPSESSID=7dcaab23758dfac2d49462b4b72fa3d7
its a metal texture that looks really good when the layer its on is turned into a soft or hard light layer, it makes the texture look really rugged you just need to adjust the optamacy, that is if your using photoshop, if not then nice model

some have greatness thrust upon them - W. Shakespeare
Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah that could add some much-needed depth. I don't use photoshop but I think I know how to do what you're talking about. Or perhaps I could just render semi-transparent clouds over the initial texture.

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2009 23:15
The tank is coming right along! I especially like the picture of it hiding in the shadow waiting for a victim to round the corner...

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, have yet to try that rugged metal texture Mazz426 mentioned, but I did try a couple different cloud renders over it that might be good for making it look more rugged. I was originally just going to do the gray to make it look more metallic, but then tried a brownish color and and thought it made a good old rusty variation.

Haven't tried it on the forest and desert variations yet, but frankly the urban is my favorite anyway Other than that I STILL can't get the animations to work and I'm starting to think I might have to throw that idea out. Going to start working on the basic variations now. The texture portion of the project is starting to get a bit overwhelming though.. I mean I know it's not supposed to be easy but I may have jumped the gun with all these different variations I'm trying to make.

That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 04:19
honestly I think you went kinda overboard with the rust, making it a little more subtle might make it look better

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, kinda, depends what scenario you want to use it in though. If it's a long abandoned battlefield it could easily be that rusty, but if it were in an abandoned warehouse/factory it would likely be less. I'll try some different levels of transparency while rendering the brown. I'll upload the static models real soon, the textures are pretty close to being finished, but I'm not sure about when I'll have the animated ones ready. I still haven't gotten the animation to play in FPSC.

That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 05:51
well after thinking about it, the problem really isnt the RUST persay, as the fact that theres a bunch of rust on a seeminly undamaged tank, now if you had some dents or other damage on the MESH rather than the texture, then it would look more like what you are trying to obtain

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 06:01 Edited at: 20th Aug 2009 07:32
True, if it were to have that much rust it would probably have some structural damage. I'll look into it. For the time being I'll work on a variation with less rust.

As of now I have completed 21 texture variations. Tomorrow I'll see what I can do about adding details such as numbers, metal creases and bolts.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 18:17 Edited at: 20th Aug 2009 18:18
i like it, the one on the right looks like its been through hell, the sort of ones you see at war museums, nice job, but if you wanted, i could easily make the changes i said for you if you post the texture or even better i could make you a rugged camo texture that you could paste onto your one, but of course its up to you

some have greatness thrust upon them - W. Shakespeare
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 20:07
Louis: TAANK!

Anyway, looks cool. Perhaps try darkening/ wearing the parts where there are edges, just use a brush and paint along certain lines in the uv-map. It'll give it more depth.

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 00:21 Edited at: 21st Aug 2009 01:34
Making some quick adjustments to lower the poly count. The animation still won't play right so I'm going to have to leave it out of the initial release.

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 01:40
Mind if i have a shot at the texture?

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 21:49 Edited at: 21st Aug 2009 21:58
Okay for those of you that want to try editing the texture, here are all the textures I've made so far. I've decided I'm not going to look too far into adding small details because I'd really like to get this wrapped up, I was really hoping it would be done much sooner I'm going to try making individual pieces of the tank, like it hasn't been completely put together yet, or perhaps if you want the turret at a different angle than straight forward. After that I'll still have to make it FPSC ready about 126 times If you've kept up with the model until now though I appreciate it
(This is my first model over 1000 polys that I've textured btw )

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 10:28:19
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 10:28:19