Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / EDP Map Editor [2D]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 16:47 Edited at: 20th Sep 2009 16:12
Check the Program Announcement

Well, I've been working on this idea for quite some time, and have finaly gotten off my lazy ass and actually DONE it. At this very moment this map editor handles simple maps of 24*18 up to 255*255 tiles, which are each 32*32 pixels. Offcourse I added a layer option as well, there are 10 layers for you to put tiles on.

Progress List(=Done, =W.I.P., =Idea):
Tile Grid
Tile Positioning
Map Saving/Loading
New Map(Ereasing current on-screen data)
Tile Layers
Visible Grid
Visual Interface
Dynamic Map Sizes(Includes Scrolling)
Blocked Tiles
Animated Tiles
Game-Friendly Loading Codes

Basic Lightning

So far that's everything I can think of when I think of a SIMPLE map editor, that can be used for simple maps when you want to make a small game.

Now, here's a little screenshot of the editor with a map I included in the download(It needs more detail, but I haven't converted all the tiles over yet)

The blue and green lines define the axises of the current tile you are on, they're more a visual guideline as to where you currently are then that they're usefull though. Also note that when you have a tile ready to paste it it will move along with your mouse.

Well, here's a simple list of controls, however most things can be done by using the interface
Arrow Keys = Move around the map
S = Save Map
L = Load Map
N = New Map
Left Mouse Button = Paste tile on current Layer/X/Y
Right Mouse Button = Remove tile on current Layer/X/Y
Spacebar = Toggle Blocked

Now for the download...

Download Setup(1.12) : >>>Download<<<
All the patches can be downloaded through the Patcher, which can be launcher from the Launcher application. Do note that each patch contains every previous update as well. This is to avoid having to download 30 patches when you miss a few of them.

Serial Key(s):

EDP Map Editor[2D]
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
That looks really cool. One suggestion: Add a GUI and instead of keyboard controls, make it so you can use the mouse to move the selection cursor around

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 17:00 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2009 17:24
Well, if you read my post you'd see I'm still working on the interface part. As of right now I left it at this because I wanted to get it functional before it went shiny.

As for the mouse cursor movement, it already does that. I haven't mentioned keyboard controls for the cursor right?

It's not the world that turns against you, it's you that turns against the world.
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
I skimmed it, my bad. Tbh you don't have to bite my head off for that

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 17:20 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2009 18:47
Quote: "I skimmed it, my bad. Tbh you don't have to bite my head off for that
"

Oh, I'm sorry if it sounded rude. I was writing that in a hurry. Kind of had to go the bathroom.

EDIT : Rewrote my previous post Hopefully it's less rude this time.

EDIT2: Added a new feature I completely forgot about, the ability to make a new map without reloading the editor! Silly me.

EDIT3: Fixed the issue that it would crash on other PC's, forgot that I made it to run on a specific location Also added a new Grid feature which is always OVER your map.

New Version! (2nd of September)
*.RAR Version: Download
*.ZIP Version: Download

It's not the world that turns against you, it's you that turns against the world.
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 19:59
It looks nice. You have plans to make it more than "simple maps of 24*18 tiles", right? This could be very useful for people if you make the maps dynamic size, with some nice smooth scrolling, and export to some sort of data format.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Have an option to turn the grid off, so you can toggle it. Also you could start thinking of lighting in the level (easily added with a sprite which fades out) which would make the level look much better, but that is for a later build with more features I guess

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 20:24 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2009 23:35
Quote: "It looks nice. You have plans to make it more than "simple maps of 24*18 tiles", right? This could be very useful for people if you make the maps dynamic size, with some nice smooth scrolling, and export to some sort of data format."

Eventually yes, but at this moment I want to get it all up and running as it is. Funny part is however that the entire map is stored in just a single Multidimensional array. It's also exported as an Array, so loading it isn't hard. Just rendering the layers correctly is a bit more tricky, since we also want a player to be above a certain layer, and below the others. This however would be possible by just chopping up the render code in seperated layers. For the In-Game part I'll be using Sprites however, since that's more commonly used then Images in game. I doubt anyone would want a load of images rendered on screen every loop, while they can have static sprites.

Quote: "Have an option to turn the grid off, so you can toggle it"

Already had this planned for the next release, in which I'm adding a simple interface as well.

Quote: "Also you could start thinking of lighting in the level (easily added with a sprite which fades out) which would make the level look much better, but that is for a later build with more features I guess"

I'm not quite sure how to do this realisticly, considering at the moment it's all rendered with Images as it has to stay more dynamic then I could do with Sprites(Creating/Deleting sprites on the fly on this scale was more power intensive then pasting images ).

----------------------

New Version! (2nd of September[Update 2])

Updates:
-Added the interface, it's toggled with the Spacebar. You can NOT edit the map while in the interface mode(Just my personal preference, I hate interfaces that clog up my screen when I'm trying to edit something).
-The cursor will now move along with the layer you're on. It will no longer always appear on top.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2009 20:59 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2009 23:28
Sorry for the double post, but today I've finished a Tile Converter, the first part of the Map Loader, which loads it into images just like the editor does for use in very basic games, or just simply testing the map or maybe your own editor for collision and such.

The Tile Converter can load a tileset that's made of 32*32 tiles and will chip it up in seperated tiles into a "Tiles" folder, this folder can replace the original 'Tiles' folder that comes with the editor and Tadaa! Your own tileset in the editor!(Note that this will make you unable to properly view any map using the old tiles) Which is a pretty nifty tool if you have a huge tileset and don't feel like cutting it up manually.

I've also added a simple Keywords file to the Map Loader library for those who like their Commands highlighted.

Now, here's the example I wrote on how to load/render a map exported by this program using the Map Loader - Image.

And that's all! You can offcourse change the visibility state and fringe state of the layers as well, but I will put that in a help file at a later date.

New Version! (3rd of September[Update 3])

EDIT : I got scrolling maps to work in the editor! I however limited them to 100*100 tiles instead of letting them be dynamic sizes. Anything larger will most likely lag like hell on slow PCs. Then again I still have to optimize it not to render the stuff outside the screen.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 22:33 Edited at: 5th Sep 2009 00:10
Right! An other double post! And another release with a few updates.

Right now I've added the following features:
Dynamic Map Sizes(Min 24*18, Max 255*255)
Render only that which is on the screen(24*18 tiles)
Scrolling around the map(Currently tile based)
Changed the example and map loader library to represent the map changes

I've also changed the serial key system, meaning that the editor is functional without a serial key and all. You just can't save the maps(And no, the old Key.dat doesn't work anymore, the generation code has been modified). Since I'm not entirely sure what to do with this I'll release it like this.

Oh, and the program is now in a setup, since it has a launcher and all. I made it a little simpler to launch everything or to access stuff.

Download : >>>Download<<<

And Update 1.07, which only contains a modified version of the map loader, so that it now adapts to your screen resolution(Meaning that it will render more on your screen on higher resolutions instead of staying with a fixed size).

>>>Update 1.07<<<

Edit: Fixed an issue with the setup not correctly creating the shortcuts, PLEASE download it from the above link again and install that to get them to work properly.

Edit2:
Known bugs:
When loading a new map inside the editor and you've moved the camera the Editor crashes. This is caused by the fact that the Offset data has not been reset. This is fixed in V1.08
The above issue was also in the map loader code, this has also been addressed in V1.08.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 20:17 Edited at: 5th Sep 2009 22:50
Update 1.08

This update fixes and adds the following things:
Fixed a crash in the editor related to the Offset not resetting correctly.
Fixed a crash in the library related to the Offset not resetting correctly.
Now resizes the amount of tiles to rendered on screen to fit your resolution from the InitMap() command in the Map Loader - Img library.
Switched over to a new UI, which no longer requires you to switch between UI and Non UI mode all the time.

Here's a screenshot of the new UI in action:

Note that this update assumes you have also applied patch 1.07!
Download : >>>Patch 1.08<<<

The arrow keys are used only for moving the camera around from here on!

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
i like it. its coming along nicely.

[url]http://myportfolio.x10hosting.com/[url]
visit my site.(still in progress)
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 11:16 Edited at: 6th Sep 2009 11:17
Thank you, It really helps when people like something and actually care to comment on it. Gives me a little motivation to continue.

Anyway, here's a feature I've been working on when I was bored this morning and my router had fried itself... Blocked tiles! It's currently unfinished and the map loader can't handle them yet, but later on I plan to add commands on to retrieve wether a tile is blocked or not so people can add collision to this stuff.

Now for a screenshot(Tiles with a red B in the bottom right corner are blocked):

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
you might consider graying out the blocked ones a bit as well.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 07:44 Edited at: 7th Sep 2009 23:12
Quote: "you might consider graying out the blocked ones a bit as well."

I picked red because there's not many tiles that are completely red, so it would always be visible which tiles were blocked and which weren't. Making them gray would make them blend in with(With these tiles) the mountains for example. Unless you meant Grid-Wise, or something like that. I guess I could add a sprite over the tile that's grey and is transparent. Adding a 'save' feature to the non-registered one in the next release as well. You just can't load those maps using the loaders

Anyway! Here's the new version:

Added a version number in preperation for a patching system.
Added the block tile feature to the map editor.
Added the command GetTileBlocked(X,Y) in the library.

Download Patch(1.08-1.09) : >>>Download<<<
Download Setup(1.09) : >>>Download<<<

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2009 01:05
Looks Great! i would say make the blocked text be rgb(255,0,255), or pink. that is rarely part of a tile. what if the person has a lava tile? red wouldn't work

New Site! Check it out \/
Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
by grey i ment darken the entire block (along with maybe a white B) that way it is clear in all cases.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2009 07:23
Quote: "Looks Great! i would say make the blocked text be rgb(255,0,255), or pink. that is rarely part of a tile. what if the person has a lava tile? red wouldn't work"

Thanks! And I was kind of thinking of something similar already if I couldn't get my other idea to work.

Quote: "by grey i ment darken the entire block (along with maybe a white B) that way it is clear in all cases."

Guess I have to find a way to grayscale images on runtime then.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2009 12:37
how about a shadow layer so we could make fake shadows with tiles
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2009 18:06
Quote: "how about a shadow layer so we could make fake shadows with tiles"

There's plenty of layers... You could always just put the shadows on the layer BELOW your (for example) trees and rocks.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2009 22:36 Edited at: 10th Sep 2009 18:52
Right, I've finished adding the updater, and a release to test it on. The patch to add the updater to your current instalation is over Here. It modified and adds a few files which are required for the patcher, everything else is handled server-side.

And a screenshot to show the updater as it is right now:

Unfortunantly there are still a few minor quirks in the updater that bug me(But are not of any effect to the actual update process) that I will address in the next patch, or just a 1.10b patch.

-----

Released 1.10b
Fixed the issue where the updater's version boxes could be edited.
Added a small notification to the updater that it's actually downloading to avoid confusion.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2009 21:00 Edited at: 10th Sep 2009 21:08
Version 1.11 is now available for download through the patching system. Release notes:

Added a new library to the package, this one uses Sprites to load and render the map.
Added a new example to use the Sprite Loader, although it's basicly the same as the Image one.
Added a new Keywords file for the Sprite Loader.
Updated the Launcher and internal software to allow usage of the new files and examples.

Enjoy! And please report any bugs you encounter. I might not have much spare time but I'll fix them as quickly as I can.

Also, I had the idea of 'faking' the animated tiles, How about if I just make a command that sets wether a layer is an 'animation' layer or not, and if it IS it will be displayed/hidden on an interval set by the user? This way you can like map the second frame on the layer above the first, and then set that second layer as animated, creating the illusion you're actually using animations but while in fact, you're just rendering a layer with certain intervals.

This would be easier for me to implent, as well as save my current file structure and system. I doubt it matters much speed-wise wether I Load/Render actual Animated Sprites or just do it my way, but I'd like to hear your opinions on the subject before I do something like that.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2009 23:27
I don't think the fake animated tiles idea will fly so well. I don't think it could be too hard to make animated tiles... could it? I would just swap different frames of the animated tile at intervals. Making fake layers that will hide and unhide isn't really efficient.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 07:18
Quote: "I don't think the fake animated tiles idea will fly so well. I don't think it could be too hard to make animated tiles... could it? I would just swap different frames of the animated tile at intervals. Making fake layers that will hide and unhide isn't really efficient."

Well, I'd like to keep my file structure and such pretty much the same, although I think I might have an idea on how to make animated tiles... Like a command similar to SetAnimatedTile(Tile1, Tile2), Tile1 will be looked for wether it's pasted on the map or not, and if it is and the animation timer has passed it will shift for Tile2, and so on and so on. This would still be faking the animation since it's not actually using animations, but I guess it works.

Oh, and I doubt it's very inefficient, considering the code renders layers seperately already and can already hide/unhide them at runtime. However the new way I just made up is probably a lot easier to use, and is probably also a lot more flexible.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
would you be able to just use .gif files?

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 08:43 Edited at: 11th Sep 2009 10:33
Quote: "would you be able to just use .gif files?"

I'm not sure wether DBP supports *.gif animations or not.

Release 1.12 is now available through the patching system!
Changed the way Mouse Clicks are handled to avoid future issues.
Doubled the maximum amount of tiles the editor would load.
Clicking a tile in the Tile Selector will now set that tile to the currently used tile, you no longer need to click the arrows to switch between the on-screen tiles.
Fixed an issue where the new map option would start a new map after being canceled.

OR for the new users around:
Download Setup(1.12) : >>>Download<<<

Also, I have a question on wether people think I should keep in the Serial Key system and sell this for like, $2.95-$4.95(No idea how or where though) or remove it and hand it out for free. I do plan to add some documentation to this quite soon, considering the fact I hate unexplained software, and I just keep adding new stuff without any real explanation to it.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2009 10:03 Edited at: 13th Sep 2009 12:16
Right, I've just finished the Animated Tile system for the Image Loader, Currently you can control the animated tiles with the following commands:

EDPIMG_SetTileAnimated(Tile1,Tile2,Interval)
EDPIMG_UpdateAnimatedTile(Tile)

The first command will tell the database which tiles and interval to use, and the second one should be called inside the loop to handle the timer and the shifting between tiles. I barely changed anything to the actual rendering code, most of this is handled by those two functions.

Now off to get it to work with the sprite loader, and we've got a new release.

EDIT: The attached file shows the animated tiles in action, use the arrow keys to scroll through the map.

I also started work on the Documentation, It's not finished yet and is missing some pages but I'm getting there!
Documentation

EDP Map Editor[2D]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2009 14:08
Version 1.13 has been added to the patching system!
Added new commands to control animated tiles to both the image and sprite library.
Modified the Keyword files to represent the library changes.
Modified the Examples to represent the library changes.
Added a Documentation option to the Launcher, this will take you to the W.I.P. Wiki page.

Sorry for this double post AGAIN, but I'd like to bring this under the attention of people. I'd hate to see this topic die after the work I'm putting into this.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 19:08
Bump

I've just depleted every idea on how I would be able to sell this, and after some consideration decided to give it away for free. In the Code Box below there's a few Serial keys which you can use to activate the editor. Enjoy.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2009 13:12 Edited at: 20th Sep 2009 16:12
I'm currently working on V1.14, which will most likely be the version I'll post up in Program Announcements after this.

Currently I've done the following things:
Replaced the Separate tiles for a single tile set image.
Removed the possibility to load your maps with images(Caused by the single tile set change).
Sped up the loading process of the Editor.
Modified the way the Editor handles tiles, which should cause less speed reduction on slower computers.
Removed the Info from the screen title and moved it to a bar at the bottom of the screen.
Changed the way Blocked tiles are displayed.
Added a tag on the bottom bar which tells you if you're in tile or block editing mode.
Various other core changes to remove old(obsolete) files and their structure.
Added a valid serial key to the release by default.

I still need to modify the Library to allow usage of the tile set system(Which is actually just a simple animated tile used in a clever way ) but after that this update will be released to the public.

Check the Program Announcement

EDP Map Editor[2D]

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:21:04
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:21:04