Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Transform Cutscene Studio 2009

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2009 13:43 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2009 13:44

I've been working on this on and off for about a year now and I feel it's finally at a stage where I can post about it. The other reson for posting now is that a similar project, "Virtual Movie Studio", has just shown up on here and i didn't want my project to get completely buried by that one xD

About TCS09

TCS09 is a program that as been designed to make the creation of in game cutscenes easier. There are 2 parts to TCS09:

TCSmake This is the program that you use the create your cutscenes in. It uses a keyframing animation system which creates the frames in-between two keyframes for you.

TCSshow This is the "Loader Engine" which can be integrated into your dark basic game to run the cutscene in realtime, allowing you to make extra tweaks to the cutscenes graphical appearance from in your game's code.

Screenshots

The basic GUI layout:

The object loading dialogue:

A basic object loaded in (All objects appear on the timeline at the bottom when loaded):

A scene created in TCS which shows the 2D and 3D scene/background functions:

Features

Done
Working on
Started, but not working correctly
Idea

TCSmake
Object loading
2D backdrop loading
3D scene loading
Object handling (move/scale/rotate)
Object deletion
GUI
Camera Control mode
Timeline system
Keyframe animation
Animation support
Sounds
Saving/Loading/Exporting

TCSshow
Not started yet. I have the loading system planned out but I can't really start on this until I have the animation system of TCS complete and the Export function working.

I'll try to get a demo up sometime, but i'm not promising it'll be too soon. Any comments/crits welcome!

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Ixalite
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking really nice Cant wait to see a demo
Colonel_Klink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 01:46 Edited at: 4th Sep 2009 01:47
Hey blobby 101, looking good. I had looked at doing a cutscene creator when I first bought DBPro, but as my primary interest is in screenplay writing and indie movies I was using Antics 3D but after the company changed focus and no new features were being added, I decided on building Virtual Movie Studio instead.
Here's a heads up on your project . Well done.
Cheers
Bob

Oh my gosh! He's wearing Full Metal Pyjamas!
--------------------------------------------
Virtual Movie Studio forum: http://www.metalplateproductions.com/vms/
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 03:01
Nice, looks awsome

Cool idea tho.

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 12:39
thanks guys!

@Batty Ratty - Cheers, good luck with yours as well No point being rivals when the products have different purposes eh?

@all - working on the animation system mostly at the moment. Progress is slow but i'm getting there.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2009 22:12 Edited at: 9th Sep 2009 22:13
Got an update - got the animations working.
You can now choose whether to ignore animations for a specific model or not and you can set speed and animation mode too. The animation modes are:

Walk Cycle: makes the animation play in time with movement (speed for this is based on the speed setting and the amount of frames between the 2 keyframes)

Continuous: makes the animation play on a loop through the whole cutscene. Speed is taken directly from the speed setting

On Demand: makes the animation play through once whenever a "Play Animation" cue is hit for that object in the timeline.

Here is a shot of the new part of the settings tab for it:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Colonel_Klink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2009 02:10
Looking good. Just a question; what GUI are you using to create the settings box?

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 10th Sep 2009 04:27
I have a couple questions too.

-Is that fog or DOF?
-Can this be used for ingame/interactive animations like LL? (judging by the screenshot {1st-person view})
-I'm seeing a lot of shader stuff even though it says "dark basic" (correctly DarkBASIC). This will be compatible with DarkBASIC itself, right? (I guess DBP is a given.)

WINNER list:
Brick Break, Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK, TheComet
Thanks for the help!
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2009 22:14
@Colonel_Klink: The GUI was made with Blue GUI 2.0
@Brick Break:
-The Blur towards the back of that screenshot is actually simulated DoF on the skybox.
-Cutscenes you make in this program can be either exported as a video file, or as a .TCF which can be imported into DB with the loader engine (TCSshow). So although it can be ingame, they can't be interactive.
-I may create a version of the loader engine for DarkBASIC Classic at a later point but at the moment the only plans are for DarkBASIC Professional support.

Colonel_Klink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 02:35
blobby 101, I'm thinking I might go down the BlueGui road as well. I'm spending far too much time working on the gui than on the actual program.
Cheers

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 20:13
hah, yeah - it has saved me a lot of time. Especially the initial designing phase which can be done in the "Rainbow" design app that comes with it (and then further adjustments in code).
Was a real godsend for me

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2009 15:50 Edited at: 25th Sep 2009 15:50
Got bored and redone your logo.

Anyway looks great! Very professional. I can see this being a great asset in any DBPro users arsenal.

Attachments

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 18:16
Woah, thanks Deathead, that's much better than my original one

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2009 19:53
Update

I am adding a third part to this software: TCSedit.

TCSedit will allow you to import objects that you will use in TCSmake and export a .CSO file. This will be loaded in with the object in TCS and will contain various settings that would otherwise be quite complex to sort out through TCSmake. You will still be able to import objects directly into TCSmake but they will be lacking in functionality compared to objects that have been edited/processed with TCSedit.

For example you could achieve things like doors opening in your environment object. (as long as they were separate limbs) You would find the limb numbers in TCSedit and assign a Tag to it, then in TCSmake you would be able to add a cue to the timeline that moves that limb. It will also speed up the process of sorting out animation data in character/prop objects.

So, what do you think? I will put some shots of my current progress with this part of the software up soon

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 15:20 Edited at: 12th Dec 2009 15:21
Sorry for the triple post but i'm not dead, still working on this.

First, a shot of TCSedit:

Second, A bit of news about it.
TCSedit now fully supports the loading on a single object and the tagging on it's limbs and TCSmake now has the functionality to reference the tags in the exported .cso file. Unfortunately, my current timeline system wasn't suitable for this functionality and decided to break :S The upshot of this is that I've had to create a new timeline system from scratch. This system isn't finished yet, so I can't release a demo that you would be able to create an actual cutscene in at the moment. If anyone is actually that interested in this I might be able to release a demo either without the timeline or just with a buggy version for testing.

Attachments

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Great looking forward to this result... Keep the awesome work!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 12:06:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 12:06:34