Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Battle bikes (working title)

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2009 23:12 Edited at: 28th Oct 2009 23:17
This is a concept I've had in mind for a while but still needs lots of work!!

I'm working on this a bit at a time while finishing other projects off so I'm after ideas here not just critisism...

Keys:
TAB- Target
Q- Shields (although it's impossible to die at the moment!!)
W- fire missile (once locked on target)
space- fire guns at target
UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT- drive bike

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 01:14
That's cool. Nice aesthetic. Curious but quite pleasing mechanics. z-fighting on buildings from afar. Maybe you have backface culling not enabled, or the fighting is between a separate shadow object or something. Would be nice if you could jump, but maybe the futuristic bike has sticky wheels or something. I'd like to see more of this.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 11:40
I can reduce the gravity effect a bit to allow jumping, might be nice.

I'm still messing around with a lot of settings including getting a constant movement speed/framerate ratio.

Thanks for the advise on the shadows, that might help solve the problem. The current scenery is just for testing really but the problem will be the same with any scenery I think.

It all stems from a basic concept I had in mind where a bike is suspended between two "ball wheels". The front ball pulls the bike around and the back one helps with steering. I started it using DarkPhysics spheres back and front with a set distance joint but it didn't quite work how I imagined so I stretched the concept to a managed system instead...

It still isn't quite how I imagined but I do quite like it!

I had a lot of fun playing with the homing missiles and exploding objects! I want to make the scenery destroyable too (after punching through a few walls on the Batman Arkham Demo) and have a system in mind for it (quite simple really).
Duke E
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks and plays great!

I like the controls but they could use some limits on the camera horizontal swing, sometimes it "springs" around to the other side.

Nice to see custom physics vehicles, inspiring. I have been sketching on a bike game myselfe. It all depends on if the wheels centrifugal force keeps the bike upright in DarkPhysics though .

As Mr Tank said it would be nice to be able to jump, but i think it's work in progress as you have ramps to drive up? You cap the bike to the groundplane i assume as i was able to drive in space when i left the playfield .

I have seen Shadow Z fighting on the shadows in my project also. I think i changed the camera near range to fix it, although i don't have this viewing distance to cope with. Could always disable the shadows at a distance.

Regards
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 13:07
Quote: "Nice to see custom physics vehicles"

I'm not actually using DarkPhysics to control the bike anymore (but I may try to have another go at this soon as it solves a lot of the problems I am currently having and was my original idea for this game).

Quote: "sometimes it "springs" around to the other side"

Yes this needs addressing.

Quote: "You cap the bike to the groundplane i assume"

Correct again, one of the problems I just mentioned is to do with collision. I'll try to fix this so I'm not limited in my map design.

I'll have a play with the near range on the camera as that would be an easy fix! Thanks again for the comments!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 13:10
If anyone has any ideas for the 'type' of game I am open to ideas at the moment.

I was thinking maybe it could be the "Last Battle Bike" trying to overcome an army of bad guys (RPG style); or it could be a multi-player survival game; or a battle/race game.

Ideas?
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 14:12
WHat about tony hawks meets space invaders?!
Like, you already said how fun homing missiles were.

Why not combine the fun of blasting stuff, with the satisfaction of pulling off cool jumps+stunts? Like, shooting a baddy is worth a few points, but shooting him while your jumping sideways is worth 100 points.

I don't know. I hate RPG and story based things where you can't leave your vehicle. Feels weird. Like Hard Truck Appocalypse. It's a wicked game, but not being able to leave your vehicle totally sucks.

Multiplayer would be cool.

I want robotic legs.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 18:47
Quote: "WHat about tony hawks meets space invaders?!"

I like the idea of blasting stuff while pulling off cool tricks but I'd have to do a LOT more on the mechanics for this game... let's call that a maybe (it would be fun for sure!)

Quote: "I hate RPG and story based things where you can't leave your vehicle"

Me too!! Just look at some old games like the first two "Driver" games. They were OK but when it was ALL driving it got a bit dull...
The thing is I never said you wouldn't be able to leave the bike!
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 18:51
So err, what happened to your last WIP? I thought Bildin Bloks was going well?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 19:19
It is but I didn't want to forget this idea so I started it anyway. I'm also finishing off the mini-games on Bildin Bloks at the same time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 00:08:19
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 00:08:19