Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [STICKY] EZrotate Basic (Free version)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 15:41
Hello all,

I recently allowed my web hosting expire since I wasn't really using it for anything. I wanted to post the free version of EZrotate up here on the forums for anyone to grab as they need it.

Enjoy!

Ron

a.k.a WOLF!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 15:52
This is for DBP only. Can you also post the DBC version here too please?

Thanks...

TDK

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 17:20
Sorry.. There isn't a version of EZrotate that works with DBC.

Ron

a.k.a WOLF!
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 20:20
Thanks Ron!

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
is there a dark gdk free one?

J T Huges
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 19:07
Cool, Thanks.

Live Long -N- Rock'n Space Cowboys
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2010 01:45 Edited at: 12th Mar 2010 01:48
Thanks for this.

Have wondered about this for ages, and trying it out has been on my to do list for as long. I feared it was complicated, but actually it's fairly simple and understandable, the DLL is very small, very easy to install (you just copy and paste the file into a folder) and it does what it does very well.

Would recommend it to anyone. Makes it easy to make, say, a rolling marble. Also, I have been for a while using a method to extract the rotation matrix from objects rotated with free flight commands, by using 3 dummy limbs per object. Pretty wasteful. With this you can do it easily without the limbs!

I did some speed tests, and it's not quite as quick at extracting Euler angles from matrices as doing it manually in DBP (when i'm passing it the matrix values, rather than using ezR for all my rotation operations), but obviously it saves on a lot of coding, and can do more than that.

Speed test code:

I'm not sure whether there is any way to pass a rotation matrix to an object in DBP. As far as I know there are no standard commands for it, but maybe it's possible with a DLL. Would be great to have an ezRotate command

EZro_SetObjectRotation objectnumber

and the reverse

EZro_GetObjectRotation objectnumber

or similar, to bypass Euler angles and give/get from DBPro the matrix, or quaternion or whatever it uses internally. I imagine it would be significantly faster.

Anyway this is free and it's really good. Don't put off trying it out.

J T Huges
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2010 16:43
Hey Mr. Tank Thanks, I'll give it a work over and see what I can do with it.

Live Long -N- Rock'n Space Cowboys
Sakuya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 16:04
So is this a smaller Version of the Original or does it contain exactly the same as the Commercial One?
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 16:11
don't blame me, but ezrotate is usefull for what?? really i don't know.

ciao faccie da sedere!
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 17:21
Quote: "is there a dark gdk free one?"

No. Sorry.

Quote: "So is this a smaller Version of the Original or does it contain exactly the same as the Commercial One? "

They are different. The free, basic version was the original dll that I wrote to help make things less confusing when using Euler angles. Before I wrote EZrotate, I was sure that the rotation commands in DBpro did not work right. I sat down and worked through learning how Euler rotation works. It is hard to visualize, so I thought it would be useful if there were some new commands that worked a little more as you would expect them too. So, EZrotate was born and released for free.
Shortly after that, I saw a lot of potential to help in other aspects of object rotation/orientation. It can be all really confusing. So, I added a lot of new functionality to my original dll and released it for sale through TGC. I still thought that some of the basic features should be free though, so I kept the free, basic version available for anyone to use. That is what is available for download in this thread.

Quote: "I did some speed tests, and it's not quite as quick at extracting Euler angles from matrices as doing it manually in DBP (when i'm passing it the matrix values, rather than using ezR for all my rotation operations), but obviously it saves on a lot of coding, and can do more than that."

The Enhanced version is MUCH, MUCH faster. I handle things completely different.

Quote: "don't blame me, but ezrotate is usefull for what?? really i don't know."

I don't blame you if you don't know what it is useful for. Some people never get into complex rotation problems in their programming. They would have no use for EZrotate. Others might understand Euler and matrix mathmatics well enough that they don't find EZrotate useful either. There is a BIG group of people in between there though that have bought EZrotate and have been very happy with the help it has given them.

a.k.a WOLF!
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 17:30
Sudden and incredible headache.
thanks.

ciao faccie da sedere!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:41:23
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:41:23