Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / 2D Dungeon Crawler in DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2009 16:28
I am currently translating an older THINK Pascal program into DarkBASIC Pro.

I had a demo of this that I altered for my own learning purposes, while programming in Pascal. These were the things I added:
statistics
HP and Stamina
Level
Depth indicator
Food (to combat Stamina loss)
Special Key Commands for...
eating food
resting
weapon swap

I am working on doing this same kind of thing, but in the Macintosh version, you could attach resources to the file (I had over 200 color PICT resources). Many of these were tiles for the demonstration.

While working with DBPro, I encountered a problem that C++/DarkGDK/Pascal can actually do: arrays in user-defined data types. I'm working on other ways to make the same things happen, but it's a little slow in development.

I have enclosed a screenshot of what I have so far.
+ Random generated dungeons of 100x100 8x8 tiles
+ a border around the map

[/url]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2009 17:41
Looks cool. Interesting hallways can be tricky so good luck with that. I enjoy rogue-likes and have thought often about doing one.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2009 12:57
I had been playing "Moria" for the Mac for years-- always trying to do my own... Then I got into "Angband" for the PC about 4 years ago, and liked the way Angband and its derivatives used tiny graphics to put together their 'steampunk' or 'horror' or 'multi-city with deep dungeon' gaming.

I wanted to do something... So I dug out my Mac demos and started reworking and translating what I had into DBPro.

I completed the alphanumeric, special tiles, and some very simple gameplay tiles... These are 8x8 tiles-- making for some gigantic exploration stuff!

More things I intend to implement:
traps
more enemies
potions and recovery spells
different foods w/ varying abilities
music and sounds
Some of the things I would like to implement:
scripting for the inclusion of additional items/enemies
MySQL databases for enemy inclusion using DarkNET (if this can be implemented)
Possible online multiplayer

If I can figure out the Online Components for this, and can include an Avatar Generator, then I will probably convert the scripting to the MySQL database inclusion.

If not, I'll work on a local 4-player version, where each player can load and save their avatars, hop-in and hop-out with a keypress and confirmation, and use a game controller...

I would also allow for each player to save either a keyboard layout or a controller layout. I've seen a couple of multiplayer games with three or four keyboards attached to a single computer. The odd thing was how the computer app was constructed to accommodate the extra keyboards to give each player a whole set of movement and action. I saw this configuration on a Mac.

Anyway, I'll drop a couple of new screen shots here, once I get something implemented for the paths.

[/url]
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2009 22:40
That's Cool! I used to play a game on the C64 back in the late 80's called Pantasia that was like that. I was hooked on that game for a long time!

If you are too young to remember a C64 it was a Commodore 64 and you could hook it up to a TV. You could also buy a monitor but they were very expensive at the time. At first you used a tape drive then they came out with a floppy drive. I paid $90.00 for mine and that was used. Commodore also came out with the Amiga. I never had that. My folks did. Great graphics computer. They used it in their video business along with Lightwave and the video toaster. They may still have a couple around!

Ahhh the good old days!
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2009 15:41
I too owned a C64. Bought it from my wages I earned one summer while working for the Rock Island Police Department!

I loved that machine! I recently picked up (about 2 years ago) those plug-n-play C64 joysticks... I own 2. Looking to mod one into a 1541 disk drive...

Anyway, this is one of those things that programming DBPro on Vista is giving me fits! Submitted a strange couple of bugs, and reported a missing program.

I have been looking forward to doing this for a long time-- making this game.

[/url]
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 00:41
Back from the brink...

...I find and rework the code a tad.

Here's a newer look at the code.

[/url]

Attachments

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 00:56
I don't have all the stuff implemented, yet.
I am working on the "pathways" part to generate paths to the rooms that are not connected.

There is a problem, though, with the screen resolution/map generation system I devised. Any assistance with this would greatly put me on the right track.

[/url]
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 01:00
I get to the screen which asks me to choose a race and it immediately closes as soon as I press a key. For example I tried both b and B for Diablo. How am I supposed to choose?

I was using 1680x1050x32 in case that is relevant.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 01:03
Our posts crossed.

What's the problem with the screen resolution/map generation system? (I won't attempt to look at the code tonight, it's just past the time when I cease to be able to get anything right. )
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 03:23
Enabled the pathways.
This is one of the greatest achievements known to programming!
(ROTFLOL!)

Anyway, I will be dropping a major screenshot soon.

[/url]
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 14:47
Will this be like Rogue?

-EdzUp
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 16:38
Very similar.
I have a background story.
It's based on my RPG, "Fine Red Mist", but it's an exceptionally LITE version... lol

I want to incorporate all of the occupations and races from it's paper and dice counterpart. I'd like to toss it around the TGC Forums for some playtesting and ideas.

Primarily, the 'dungeon map' is a form of radar.
I want to use that to pinpoint where the enemies are, but not WHAT they are. Upon encountering one, you find out what it is. An image is displayed with stats, updating as it takes damage/casts spells/uses psionics/wields weapons...

It's still quite early in the dev cycle, but I hope to improve the game. And possibly add in a host/client LAN capability for 8 players in a single dungeon.

As long as there's interest in the *online* or *LAN* stuff, I'll work on that.

[/url]
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 20:57
Green: Sorry, didn't see your posting.

The problem is with the selection of the largest game map size.
For those of you who can sport those lovely 22+" widescreen monitors, I want to be able to allow for A MUCH LARGER MAP!...

I currently have it working with 50x50 or 100x100 8x8 tiles.
I want to have it grow in size to 500x500, if the screen's large enough to support the map, the map border, and 6 to 10 lines of information. This info includes:
Enemy Stats & Health Bars
Warnings and Messages
Colored Blobs (r/g/b/c/y/m/o/v/p/n)

The other side of the screen, i.e. the other HALF, lists, in sections, Player Info, Stats, Equipped Gear, Last Time Town was Visited, Last Time Game was Saved, a Map Key, and a Quick Command List. (I am still working through the command list. lol)

If I decide to make the command set identical to MORIA, ROGUE or ANGBAND, then I may get caught up in copyright issues, though that may not be an issue.

I like certain commands that these use: <Q> for Quaff a Potion; Ingenious!

Also, here's a current screenshot of the NEW pathways algorithm. There's 30 rooms, and some are inside of other rooms; I don't have the algorithm set up for keeping the rooms separated. The larger the screen, the easier it is to have more rooms visible.

[i]Note: I may also have another issue. The way my algorithm calculates the rooms needs to be adjusted for xMax and yMax, since the DISPLAY algorithm alters these. I just thought about this one...

[/url]

Attachments

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 21:01
Green: Also, that's a little odd about the Race choosing.
I never see it. That part isn't quite implemented yet... Sorry.

The Android and Diablo are Avatar playable races. I am in the process of generating and posting the Avatar Creation stuff. Please bear with me. I am trying to locate some ways to do this.

I also have a concern: Does clearing the screen with CLS clear my images? I've been seeing this happen. Is it a coding issue, or a bug in Vista?

[/url]
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 22:19
CLS Should just clear the screen to your desired colour

-EdzUp
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah. CLS removes everything on the screen that is visible. EVERYTHING. Makes the screen completely blank. It clears the screen...just as you would expect it to do. ._.
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 01:47
That's what I thought...

The only problem I encountered with it: I tried to do the Display Choices screen with my function, after I loaded my images. I got an error telling me I had "no image loaded at" the line that PASTEs IMAGE in my ShowText() function...

No idea why... /

[/url]
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 01:58
Are you still using "set display mode" at inopportune times ?

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 06:36
Green: This is at the very start of the Game... lol
I tried to load my images, after I set the Display Mode, then did some ShowText() for the "DISPLAY CHECKLIST ..." display resolution choices.

Needless to say, it didn't work. It was giving me the "images not found error".

I reset the program back and it works fine... lol

[/url]
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 12:54
Quote: "Green: This is at the very start of the Game"

What is "this"? Are you sure you're still talking to me?

Quote: "I reset the program back and it works fine... lol"

I've completely lost track of what you've done. What has been set back from what to what?

Could you post the code you are currently using and state what problem you are trying to solve? I don't want to spend time looking through out of date code in an attempt to solve an out of date issue.
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 17:08
Green: Yes, these are in reference to your posts.
To clarify: I undid the changes to the DisplayMode section where I wanted to use my TILES for the display. That's the "reset" i was talking about.

This is what I have: (in no particular order...)
I am working on generating and displaying the Attributes, Statistics and Saving Throws.
I need to change the Avatar Creation section into smaller chunks of input:
Name
Race
Stat Reroll
Employer
Reason your Avatar's employer decided to drop you here. lol
Map of the make-shift town that you start in, with the entrance to the 'dungeon'.
Other things that elude me right now...

It's still a work in progress... lol

[/url]
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2009 17:03
Ahh!

[/url]
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2009 20:36
Quote: "Ahh!"

?
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 13:28
Sorry. My internet connection is being a tad freaky!...

I am working on making the input a little less stupid, and a little more intelligent.

I will be making the inputs as:
All on blank screens
All using text instead of tiles
All with verifications

The next part is to read the display choices from a file, check to see if the player wants to adjust the display (... or if "800x600 - Is this the resolution you would like to use?"), then change it *or* play.

Also, a Save Game feature... I want it to:
save the current player
save the current map
save other pertinent data about the game

With that said, I'd then need a Load feature... lol
I could read in the current map and depth, then determine the player and item/enemy starting positions from the map (extrapolating their locations with a calculation of [xPos, yPos] in the array, multiplied by the tile size [tSiz]).
Read the data for the avatar, and go from there...

Anyway, this is the latest version... lol

[/url]

Attachments

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 14:42
Just curious... why is this here instead of in WIP?

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 21:11
Rich: This is for some assistance. Though this is a WIP, I do not think of it as such-- it is a learning experience for me-- to convert Pascal source into DBP. Although this may seem strange for someone to do, I think this actually shines light on the other languages that can be 'borrowed from' for ideas to make games...

Remember: No matter the idea, it may have come from art, literature, or classical music-- we extract the parts we like, discard those we don't and call it 'original'. We should ALWAYS credit the original, even if it was just for inspiration. It's a morality thing...

Anyway, if you'd like, you could always pipe up and ask a few more questions. I offer advice. You're certainly free not to accept it.

[/url]
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 21:12
Also, once upon a time there were two lines of code.

Line One told Line Two to follow him everywhere...

Line Two told Line One to do the same...

What did the two lines of code create?

An Endless Loop...

LOL

[/url]
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 21:39 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2009 21:42
Looks like Halls Of The Things. That's another game I have always wanted to make. Angband looks good too.

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 01:03
Sure, I may decide to do a 3D version, though, I'm not really sure...

A veritable MAYBE!... LOL

[/url]
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 01:27
Pincho: There might be a collaboration if there's interest, but alas, this is only a test cycle and learning project for me.

I am interested in doing a 3D MMORPG, but I'm not going to throw advertisements out there for a crack team of programmers, musicians, 3D modelers, artists and other needed personnel-- especially with the economy in the crapper...

I'd like people to tell me that they would be interested in a 3D MMORPG based on this "LITE" version. I'd like people to assist with certain aspects of this kind of thing-- a non-disclosure agreement would need to be acknowledged for all parties involved-- and the erasure/deletion of ALL PROPERTIES that were created for this endeavor AND the items I had given to base those properties upon. It's just one of those things...

I have 3 dreams: 1) Work for Atari. 2) Work for Electronic Arts. 3) Self-publish my 'epic' MMORPG based on my own RPG, "Fine Red Mist".
I'd be happy for any one of them-- especially, #3!...

Now, I know this is not the place for explanations and works in progress, but I know what I want to accomplish with this little learning laboratory: a generic, minimally-simplistic, key-pressing, fun adventure with a science fiction twist... Not many RPGs or MMORPGs can satisfy that hunger, that palpable pang, that others try to fill and fail... Not just fail, but EPIC FAIL!

I apologize for this being excessively long. I believe I am venting a bit, please bear with me. I am leaving this thread here. I will be creating a thread in the 3D DBPro area soon, but not TOO soon, as I am creating it in the Works In Progress section.
I want
Eris Rising to be that MMORPG that I want to play, that others want to play, that interact and help to become a social networking environment: across megacorporations and player-created guilds/clans. (For non-military avatars: Guilds. For military/para-military avatars: Clans.) It's all something I want to explore, like Star Trek used to: the human condition. Maybe I'll be able to, maybe not. As long as I have fun trying!...

[/url]
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2009 05:21
Here's the latest on the project.
It seems to work okay. I did alter the way it runs, and once you see your avatar's name and stats on the screen, please press any key (it takes 3 presses) to exit.
Once you see the "press key" in text, then it's done-- one more press.

Still working on the texts for the placements of the headings and the text file. Sorry that it isn't as polished as it could be, yet.

[/url]

Attachments

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 04:08
Please don't get discouraged. This is not what the doctor ordered!... lol

I will be dropping this to the Works-In-Progress forums section. I will then continue this forum discussion there...

[/url]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:03:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:03:48