Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / upcoming game: pyTower Defense

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 17:52
Hello! First of i want to say that if this is in the wrong forums, please move this thread to the appropriate one.

My cousin and I have been making a tower defense game, which is written in Python (and Pygame). It is a 2D tower defense game. The game includes a range of different enemies, including zombies, vampires and other creepy stuff. We plan on making atleast 7 different towers and some different game modes. So it's still in early development and far from balanced, and we only have 11 different creeps (including 1 boss) and 4 different towers so far.

We have a BETA/DEMO here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pytowerdefense/

All sorts of feedback is greatly appreciated!

You can mail my cousin at baxemyr(AT)gmail(dot)com
Or me at Alexander(underline)Eriksson(underline)19(AT)hotmail(dot)com

Sprite graphics (enemys, fire effects, towers, arrows and such) is made all by me.
Coding all by my cousin (you can find him here: http://phelerox.wordpress.com )
Main menu background made by: http://tgfcoder.deviantart.com

also: We are making this game totally on our own freetime. We plan on giving it out completly free once it is done. updates are to come. what you see here is about half a year of work.

pics:

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Phelerox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 18:00
Just signed up to tell you I'm the cousin. Hello @ Everybody!

http://phelerox.wordpress.com
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 19:35
Thats a good looking tower defence game you have there.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Need a mouse to play lol, silly graphics tablet.

Ill give it a test drive at another date ^_^ though it looks good so far.

-Con

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2009 07:09
thank you guys^^ we will update with more stuff as soon as my lazy cousin gets his ass into coding

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2009 19:39
hello there, long time no see. I was just going to tell you that we've just added AOE (Area Of Effect) to the game. nothing graphical, the enemies close to the one hit will just take damage aswell. we're going to add another (placeholder) tower aswell, pictures soon ^^

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2010 19:59
sorry for bumping up such an old thread and tripple posting, but

Much has happened, including:

*9 more levels

*Area of Effect

*Tower effects:
**Ice tower slows a bunch of enemies
**Fire tower causes damage over time to nearby creeps.

*Upgradeable towers (currently the Arrow tower is upgradeable, do that!)

*A first attempt at sound effects (The basic arrow tower emits a sound when shooting, but it's delayed and thus not very neat)

*Towers no longer gain experience and levels

*An animated tower (Wizard Tower)

*The image of each individual enemy each level are randomly chosen from a pool of images. The plan is to introduce several categories of enemies, but there's currently only the "Undead" category, and we'll see how it evolves and if it was a good idea or not.

here is some screenies, i hope that some of u will download the game and have a great time playing it!

we will keep on working on this game, we have so much more to get into it!

also, we have clocked 1400 downloads!

here is a link to the download: http://pygame.org/project-PyTowerDefense-1332-2571.html

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2010 22:05
You can learn a lot from playing one of the billion flash TD games out there, obvious things you need to add:

* At the very least, make it so the first wave only begins when you press some button. I didn't have time to read all the tower info before the wave started.

* Add a button to instantly begin the next wave

* Make it so holding shift allows you to continue creating buildings of that type, mashing number keys is a bit annoying

* Redo the graphics, and make the enemies rotate more smoothly

* Add some actual maps, currently mazing is highly boring as it requires no thought

* Being able to build over the spawn/exit makes no sense

* Add word wrap to all the text fields

* Bind pause to p as well

* Display the gold somewhere else(maybe at the top? you don't need that much space for the level), as you can't see how much you have when you go to upgrade

* Use better text, when text overlaps you just get a block of yellow which is rather hard to read

* The start of the game is highly boring, all you do is construct the maze very slowly because buying so many arrow tower takes so long, other games give you a rock or boulder tower which costs almost nothing so you can quickly make a maze then add proper towers

* Building a tower that obstructs the path should be disallowed, allowing it to be built, checking it, then selling it is kind of stupid

* Why does gold appear to deduct before I've placed a tower?

* Why is the enemy selection box thing totally off? And why does it change size when they turn?

Phelerox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2010 22:46
Thanks for the feedback, dark_coder! Very appreciated.
Quote: "* At the very least, make it so the first wave only begins when you press some button. I didn't have time to read all the tower info before the wave started.

* Add a button to instantly begin the next wave"

I've already begun work on these two points. The first level currently has a wait of 15 seconds instead of 5, and the countdowns can be skipped by pressing Enter (I plan to add a button for it).

I've also considered most points you've brought up, and I hope we'll see them implemented!

Quote: "* Why does gold appear to deduct before I've placed a tower?"

The gold will be returned to you if you end up not placing a tower.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2010 10:47
Quote: "* Redo the graphics"

this doesnt help me at all, how do u mean? what is wrong? what should be improved?

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2010 14:18 Edited at: 15th Mar 2010 14:22
this is cool, one of the best games I've seen done with pygame yet.

Quote: "* Redo the graphics, and make the enemies rotate more smoothly"
I agree, you have a good style going with the gui and font, but the tower/creep sprites are sort of simple. also, in the main menu under help, i'd recommend having the help text be in the same font as the "pause/exit to menu dialog" (when you hit escape), and trash the black box.

[edit] also, you should do the same for the pause text when you hit space, but i'm assuming it's just a placeholder.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2010 14:30
iam very new to pixel art, and therefore these creeps have been hard to make, since theyre 20x20px it is very hard to fit any kind of detail into them, and the biggest ones are 30x30. iam doing as good as i can, would anyone have any tips or so it is appreciated, because saying:
Quote: "* Redo the graphics"

doesnt help me alot.

all other critts are very good and thoughtout, therefore very appreciated=)

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2010 00:14
Well if you play other similar games it should be obvious that the graphics are far inferior, the tower graphics especially stand out. It may be better to create a more detailed version(perhaps even 3D) then shrink the image down, because doing fine detail at the pixel level for such small items does require a lot of skill, so it would be best to practice before putting it right into a game.

The best bit of art is the background with the bricks, but the main issue is the overwhelming inconsistency between all the fonts and various menu items. Right now it's very reminiscent of a BYOND game, but as it's a desktop download, superior graphics are pretty much expected.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing an improved version, and hopefully you will try other such mazing TDs and do what they did right and don't do the things they did wrong. My previous post mainly covered issues with the game, even if they were to all be resolved, the game itself wouldn't really be fun, for that you'll need to look at other successful TD games and branch off ideas from them or something.

Phelerox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2010 02:09
Quote: "other similar games it should be obvious that the graphics are far inferior"

While I agree that the flash TD's I've seen have great graphics, the other Pygame TD I know of has even worse graphics than this game. http://www.pygame.org/project-Python+PyGame+Tower+Defense-1296-2574.html

I'm not doing the graphics, but I'll comment anyway. Apologies if I lack some obvious "know-how".

Quote: "It may be better to create a more detailed version then shrink the image down"

I have considered if that would be a better idea, but I'm worried (from what I've heard) that most of the detail might disappear, and the end result could look wretched since you can't even control what disappears in the same way as on the pixel level. Additional info would be appreciated. (pixel-level art is something I haven't attempted personally)

The camera view is another issue. Painting a nice-looking quadratic(!) tower from a side- or top- or top/side-view isn't simple!

Sorry about the inconsistency, there's not always enough energy left for polishing.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2010 01:04
also, if it perhaps didnt appear in our previous posts, this we do on out free time, mostly, and we do it for fun //well i do, phelerox is doing it for grades, and fun \\ and i also do it, because it is a nice and smooth introduction to game creation.

iam going to try to paint a 100x100px picture and rescaling it, we will see how it turns out.

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Rescalling is fine, My avatar was a 2k x 2k canvas rescaled to a 50 x 50 square. Of course i edited it and tweaked pixels but it generally works pretty well.

I like to work Big, more fun with the tools.

Once the gameplay is sound, then work back into the graphics. I would have used placeholders lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 08:39:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 08:39:14