Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Public Test - DarkBASIC Professional Editor 7.5

Author
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2009 12:53 Edited at: 27th Dec 2009 20:34
Hi Guys,

I've been tasked with addressing a number of issues with the DarkBASIC Professional Editor while the 7.5 beta period is running. Lee has given me a list of problems reported by the community which I hope that I have addressed, but would like your feedback while I still have time to spend working on it.

The original list is:
* Fix bug causing some variables not to highlight correctly (in forum thread)
* Double Click in Code View should switch keyboard focus to text editor (for scrolling up and down)
* Replace TAB Characters With SPACE option does not work (try; #CONSTANT lee 42)
* Speed up detail population in Code View to avoid refresh taking several seconds (only insert rather than entire refresh)
* For large projects, redrawing the code view is a huge distraction, should manage the list rather than wipe it out to rebuild
* Add feature to make a single .BAK backup prior to saving a .DBA file by default (to keep legacy support with old editor)
* Folded functions should display the function name
* Add a CANCEL OPTION (escape key) during compilation (to end compilation of large projects)
* When error line identified, hitting RETURN should not delete the whole line, but position the cursor on a newly inserted line (legacy behaviour)
* Search Suggest feature; Find Text dialog stores history of searches, and auto-fills previous seatches based on entry (legacy behaviour)
* Ensure no RCX???.tmp rogue files do not appear in the DBP project folders as a result of using the editor
* PRINT option from the FILE menu does not work with 'Encountered an improper argument'
* When leave a modified project, should prompt with 'do you want to save?', otherwise user looses their work when loading new project
* The 'Automaticaly Insert Closing Block Statement' functionality is inserting additional closing blocks if I insert a new line after the opening block!
* New compiler option to show VERBOSE (all parser error output) instead of just line 3
* Change CTRL+F to F3 by default, and allow the find dialog to work at same time as regular text editor (legacy behaviour & like notepad)

I have additionally fixed:
* Double clicking an error line in the output window will take you to this location in the source
* Added an additional option to control parsing of all source files on project open
* Modified keyword building to prevent crashes

It also includes fixes from Synergy Editor which have been occuring between the DBP release and now.

26th December 2009

* F3 will carry on search when source code has the keyboard focus
* Warning if an error occurs on a line that Synergy Editor knows it has changed
* Default version initalised correctly
* Create new project deletes existing temporary file (WARNING: Behaviour change, make sure that this file does not contain important code)
* Line concatination off by default
* Settings saving optimisations

27th December 2009

* Boolean values now written correctly to settings file
* Option to disable Windows 7 Taskbar integration

Synergy Editor - Available for free HERE!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2009 13:11
Is this bug fixed editor part of the 7.5 beta upgrade, or is it available separately?

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2009 13:13
Currently, it's only available here. I will send the source over to Lee later next week.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2009 13:16
Groovy, Thanks.

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
this code, SynergyEditor is err.
old editor is good.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2009 14:16
Very nice, this fixed most of the problems I had with synergy!

One little thing: try typing "perform checklist for files" into the editor with "show the intellisense list automatically" checked. You will find that you can't because the second space selects the first item in the list. Can you make it so that only tabs and returns select list items, not spaces.

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Garbage sticks to an edge

Attach

Attachments

SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "* Change CTRL+F to F3 by default, and allow the find dialog to work at same time as regular text editor (legacy behaviour & like notepad)
"

For clarification with regard to this function, it isn't that F3 should operate like CTRL+F to open the find window, it's that F3 should perform a 'Find Next' function inside the text editor with the search being based on the last value entered in the find window... just like Notepad and other code editors. If the user presses F3 while editing code (find window closed), the editor finds the next instance of the value last searched.

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2009 06:21 Edited at: 25th Dec 2009 06:22
why?

Attachments

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2009 13:29 Edited at: 25th Dec 2009 13:30
I started in SynergyEditor.
An old code is displayed.
Why?
Setting is "Create new project".

Attachments

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2009 17:00
Update in first post addressing some of the issues.

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2009 02:20 Edited at: 27th Dec 2009 02:21
Still having problems with tabs been classed as seporate applications in windows 7... which is realllllly annoying To fix it I should be able to run in compatabillity mode for vista which would stop the annoying bug... but if I do the editor says I have to disable compatabillity mode and restart... PLEASE STOP THIS. It's sooooooo annoying...

Here's an image to show...
I have one project open with 6 tabs open, yet windows 7 thinks im running 6 applications

Yours
N3wton

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2009 04:10 Edited at: 27th Dec 2009 04:18
Synergy Editor is not internationalization.
DarkBasic compiler uses a character set of MS-DOS-style.
Multi-byte character set, MBCS.
It does not Unicode.

Garbage sticks to an edge

Attachments

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2009 20:36
Update in first post addressing some of the issues.

pcRaider,

Thanks, will address this issue shortly.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2009 20:44
John Y I don't know someone ask for it to open only one help file tab, but now if you press F1 only one tab is open and the command help file is displayed, if you press F1 again on another command the first tab is updated, instead of another tab being opened.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2009 21:05 Edited at: 27th Dec 2009 21:07
This is looking and working really good. Now that some of the issues have been take care of (and esp. the ability to use the F3 key) I will probably start using it for real projects.

The Visual Studio 2010 color scheme is really cool. Thanks for including it.

You said: Option to disable Windows 7 Taskbar integration However, the option itself is disabled. OR, were you making an intelligent decision as to whether or not to enable it? Like enabling only if we have Windows 7 installed. See view button.

-----------------------------------------------
OliveTreeGames

Attachments

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2009 21:15
Quote: "f you press F1 only one tab is open and the command help file is displayed, if you press F1 again on another command the first tab is updated, instead of another tab being opened."

I was wondering about that myself. What is the reason for the tabbed source and help files? Although I do like that idea, I was actually expecting the ability to be able to have more than one project open and more than one help file to remain open so that I could revisit what I have been seeking help on. Personally, it's not crucial because I do like the fact that I can at least see the command help I was having trouble and not have to reopen it. All I have to do is go back and forth between help and the source code.

-----------------------------------------------
OliveTreeGames
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2009 22:32
Quote: "John Y I don't know someone ask for it to open only one help file tab, but now if you press F1 only one tab is open and the command help file is displayed, if you press F1 again on another command the first tab is updated, instead of another tab being opened."

Tools>Options...>Help and select 'Open a new tab for each help document'

Quote: "You said: Option to disable Windows 7 Taskbar integration However, the option itself is disabled."

It will be disabled if you don't have Windows 7

Quote: "I was wondering about that myself. What is the reason for the tabbed source and help files? Although I do like that idea, I was actually expecting the ability to be able to have more than one project open and more than one help file to remain open so that I could revisit what I have been seeking help on. Personally, it's not crucial because I do like the fact that I can at least see the command help I was having trouble and not have to reopen it. All I have to do is go back and forth between help and the source code."

See the comment above. Also, you can drag tabs downwards to create a new row of tabs. So, you can view help and code side by side See attached image.

Attachments

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 00:02
Thanks for the windows 7 option

Yours
N3wton

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know if its been addressed or not but when I used this editor (reverted back) their seemed to be a compiler fail every once in a while if I had more then one tab open of projects that were not associated with each other (something like that, been a while)

nhx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2009 22:57 Edited at: 30th Dec 2009 22:58
nevermind, posted this in the wrong thread. but thank you for addressing the search feature - i'm excited to try it out.
MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 05:50
Hello...

I recently posted about ordering my source files in the W.I.P. Thread for Synergy, and have decided it's better to keep all of my constants and globals in the Main Source File (.dba) and just call the needed functions inside my __Main() function for my projects, then to use the #include "Whatever.dba" to append those other functions from other sources to the Main .dba...

However, that is not why I am posting today.

I don't know what's going on with this new Build for Synergy (I think the about box says Jan 26, 2010) because I used to be able to scroll just fine, but know I have to actually click and hold the scroll bar or buttons to view unseen code in the editor...weird, I know!

Also, just thought that I would confirm that the garbled mess to the right of the Project Properties pane on the left of the screen described in an earlier post on this thread does exist. It's very annoying! I feel like I'm back in Visual Basic 6.0 with the scroll bar issue again. I HATED that!!!

An update would be nice, John Y...although I understand it might take a little longer to address this seeing all of the other requests that are being made is eating up your time. I'm not trying to push.

Thanks.
Duke E
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 09:14 Edited at: 24th Feb 2010 09:27
Edit: Should read the original posting dates , did not see it was s a revive of a old thread, however the bugs are current.

Few things on the search function.

- "Auto-fills previous seatches based on entry (legacy behaviour)" broken again, worked in December 24?. It fills the combo list but does not retain the last search word if you close the search window.

- Left margin after a search has scrolled the window right on a line wider than the code view should be restored to the zero column on the subsequent searches, see picture.

- The "Look in" combo should Not default to "Selection" unless a whole line or more is selected in the code view. If I select a single word and hit Ctrl-F i hardly want to search only that selection.

- Follow up on above, if i select a word that word should be automatically copied to the "Find what" box (suggestion).

- Replace is broken, does not replace single or all.

Regards

Attachments

MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 20:20
OK...About my previous post with the scrolling issue.

It turns out it's not a bug as I added more lines to my code and was able to scroll until the EOF. I guess this is more of a personal request for a feature.

John Y, is there anyway to check off an option allowing me to scroll past the EOF using mouse scroll? I'm so used to being able to do that in the old editor, and it's really frustrating to sit there like an idiot trying to scroll when the EOF isn't even past the bottom of the screen...(the source code is so short that I can see all of its contents entirely on my screen!)

I hope that's not too much trouble.

Oh, and I think I can deal with the garbled lines and what seems to be like text on the right side of the Project Pane on the left of the screen.

Sorry I had to post again, it's just I wasn't sure if an edit to the previous post would be noticed when there was another post after it by someone else.

Thanks,

MickeyIII

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:15:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:15:26