Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Project: One Model Equals One Thousand Textures

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 04:49 Edited at: 27th Jul 2010 17:44
It's a new year and it's time to start a new 3d project. After a few days of planning I finally have come up with a project that will help me improve my texturing skills and may even help the TGC community in the process. You may remember my 100 models in 100 days project. In the project I built over 200 texture maps, yet each one was rushed due to time limitations. So now I'm going to do it different.

The project is called: One Model Equals One Thousand Textures.
This is a reword of the phrase: A picture equals a thousand words.

That's basically what I'm going to do, build 1000 different textures for one model. I also encourage the community to join in the project, submitting their own textures for the model. I think this could be not only fun, but educational. I'm also not going to have a deadline, this will be an ongoing project until completion. Wish me luck, and good luck to anyone who joins up!

Project Start!

Project Progress: 2.0% Complete

The Model:Humanoid Mesh(200 Triangular Polygons)

The Download: Humanoid Mesh(UVmapped)

https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/1934095

File added to the post as requested.

The Textures:

0001: Base UV Data

0002: UV Data Color Coded

0003: Wrapped Up Again!

0004: Nice Shirt

0005: Ninja!

0006: Asian Henchman

0007: Mecha Suit

0008: Obi-Wan!

0009: Zombie

0010: Captain Picard

0011: Old Snake

0012: A REAL Spy/ Sam Fisher

0013: Red Eye'd Ghost

0014: Waterman

0015: The Warrior

0016: The Incredible Zombie!

0017: Spider...er...8 Legged Man!

0018: Blood..wth?

0019: Red Creature...might be a demon.

0020: Kick A(green super hero!)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 04:50
I like this idea, i will probably do some.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 04:54 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2010 04:54
Very cool. Just a side note to everyone, once your done with a texture, post it here and I'll add it to the list. I think when this project is done I'll provide a single download for everyone.

Last side note, I've left a good amount of space at the bottom right of the uvmap so people can add extra details, say you want to give him a weapon or some type of gear, you can set the uvmap for that object to the same map.

Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 04:59 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2010 05:00
AWESOME is this the one from your tutorial? The headless one?

i might do some

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 05:07
Yah this is the model from my tutorial, which I'm rewriting atm. I'm also creating a video version. I won't be posting these until I acquire some new webspace.

Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 05:20
Lol okay, i was looking at your tutorial, and i said ill skip to the end and figure out how he did the head but then !!!!!!NO HEAD!!!! LOL

anyways, hope to see the tut as low poly characters would be awesome as im making a fantasy 'rolling hills type' rpg.

(like the land in games like fallout or far cry 2,,, open.)
and low poly minions would be better as the fps will drain with my modeling techniques... cough cough .... im a subdivision (rimes with smore) .... cough cough....

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 11:56
Josh, the mediafire link just keeps timing out for me.. the texture links work. Maybe just add the mesh as an attachment here?

Cheers!

P.S. This is a great idea and I hope many of the community members join in. I'm gonna give it a go once I get the mesh.

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 12:06
Cool idea, i think i would participate with a few textures.

"Fromage Cake"
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 13:04
Master:
Kul times. Once the textures get up there in the numbers you'll have no trouble gathering a small army of rpg characters.

David:
Added the mesh to the main post. Not sure what is wrong with mediafire.

Cheese:
Can't wait, and your sig...epic!

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 13:54
I have started on a texture, may be done tomorrow

wind27382
Years of Service
User Offline
wow this is good idea In fact its pretty close to my new years resolution. yah

wind
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you mind posting a .3ds or other importable version for max?

It'l make my pipeline alot easier, correcting seams and the on fly texture updates max does will make my life cake. It also dosnt help that i dont have a .x model viwer lol

Also adding weapons would be quicker and alows em to make more unique chracters.

Just made a 19 poly 20 vert sword for it.

It is literally a flat sword, but it will look good on the back or holstered. Same with the bow am about to make.

Ill proably make a whole armory when im bored and looking for practise.

Thanks for the great opertunity anyway. Might kick Bigg Add into gear with our database

-Con

Attachments

SJHooks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 21:20
So can we do something like add a specular map, and normal map as well, or is it only a texturing thing?

Typos, they can't live without me.
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 21:59 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2010 22:14
could you email me the model as my dad has blocked the word
download.

[edit]
email is in the email button next to profile XD forgot.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 23:51 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2010 23:55
This is generating buzz faster then I expected, and there's only two textures.

SJHooks:
I should clarify this, if you make a multilayer map for the model, say a texture with normal map and specular, I'll be considering that as 1 texture. Or else we could get away with only 333.3 textures as 1000. Though that doesn't mean don't make them if you want to add that much more detail to the mesh.

First post has been updated with the new downloads, which include an x and a 3ds file.

For visual reference, here is the base mesh with the color coded uv map applied:

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks josh, ill start playing with them after this episode. ^_^

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Dammit, dont know if its just me but the .3ds isnt importing to max. spent a good hour messing with settings on my end, so i think its the file. Sorry to be a nusscience lol.

SJHooks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 02:06
Sorry for the double post, but I have one final question: are we allowed (by your rules) to alter the geometry of the orininal mesh? Like adding a nose like shape and ears?

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 03:00
lazerus:
dang...not sure what is wrong then, I've been able to import it into wings3d and into DBP with no problems. Here, I'll attach the wings exported model, see if that will work.

SJHooks:
No, you cannot alter the model, you can only create a texture for it. This is all about creating and improving your texturing skills. Besides, the texture must be compatible with the original model or else it won't be any good.

Attachments

lil marioman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 04:01
Someone should make a program that flashes between all the textures when this is finished.

Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Count me in!

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 06:14
I can import your latest .3ds in max but the model is really tiny, it's like 0.15 units tall. But anyway, wouldn't it be best to post some texture guidelines? Like resolution, if we can make a normal map etc. Leaving it to the user's discretion may not be the best idea.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
All good here, ill start after i finish this sheet.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 15:04
dark coder:
That's wings3d for you. When I export from TS, the model is to scale, but when I import to wings then re-export for some reason wings takes the scale down by 100x. The latest file was the original wings export, I usually import into TS and rescale it before exporting it for the final time.

As for texture guidelines, I wasn't really going to set any as I would like people to have creative freedom. I think the only guideline I'll set is the final texture must be able to be applied to the original model.

Though I'm always open for suggestions.

lazerus:
I'm glad you can finally use the model. I seriously am not sure why it wasn't working for some people.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 16:05 Edited at: 4th Jan 2010 17:30
Ok, Since you unwrapped your model, I thought I'd just wrap him all up again.. My Contribution is..

Attached is a zip with the original model. I edited the texture file name in the /x file and resized the texture to 512x512, more than adequate for this model imho.

I didn't spend too much time on this and it's not perfect, but I'm mostly happy with the result. I think parts of the model would have been better box mapped or decal front/back type thing.

Cheers Josh!

Attachments

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 16:38
Nice!

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I like it!

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline

Mine, texture 512x512.

Texture is attached.

Attachments

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 17:12
hah, nice xD
both of you =D

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 21:19 Edited at: 4th Jan 2010 21:21
So close...

Will continue tommorow, i need to sleep early for the 7:30 wake up for class. Ive been sleeping in since 1ish lol

Spent about 2 dedicated hours on it so far, i was playing call of duty and working on other things at the same time so.

Tele naow.
edit;
Ohh so its 1024x1024? ill drop to 512 on the final version.
-Con

Attachments

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2010 16:36
Very cool guys! Laz, your's is looking very sci-fi robotish. Updated the first post.

I'll be uploading my own textures this week. Weekend was a hassle at work because of the new year.

Keep them coming guys(gals)!

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2010 16:48
Looking nice laz, one thing i noticed was at the moment the shadows and highlighting are quite monotone, maybe some slight colour variation?

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
No worries Asteric its meant to be in realitive greyscale for this version, from it i can apply new gradient maps for camoflauge, rust and slight hints on blues/greens/grunge bache ect ect. So this will just serve as a template. Its something i picked up a while back when mass producing chracters and re-skinnings/colouring.

Ill get back to work on this as soon as ive relaxed a little more.

-Con

Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2010 19:57
i like your style lazerus,, it reminds me of castle crashers in a way

SJHooks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2010 02:18 Edited at: 7th Jan 2010 00:41
Finished mine, sort of. I was almost finished with it, when the larger, layered version of the image get messed up and saved somehow, so I had to stick with the final flattened version of the whole thing before the whole thing screwed up. Image is attatched. Unfortunately, I'm a HORRIBLE renderer, so if someone could render that for me, that would be good. EDIT: Just noticed the TGC image got blurred a bit, so I reposted it on imagefire: Also, I think I'll be making several more, because 1) this project is kinda fun, and 2) This is majorly helping me learn new stuff about texturing and improve my skills, like with the ninja one I learned how to make a fabric like pattern.

Attachments

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2010 04:21
Added to the list. Once we reach 10 I'll post a collage of them and pick my favorite. Maybe give it a medal or something fun like that. Could give people incentive to make more.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2010 05:25 Edited at: 6th Jan 2010 05:29
*applies glue*

Seems like a fun project! I might give a texture a go!

Maybe some keen animator could whip up an animated version?

Quote: "Thanks for the great opertunity anyway. Might kick Bigg Add into gear with our database "

Good Shout! Completely forgot about that. I'm sort of switching between ideas of hosting it externally or on TGC, both have their problems (But I had a pretty neat system when I first became a mod), might revise it a little though... Still needs some work.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2010 05:33
Wow, thanks for the glue, er, does it come out of cloths?

I'm looking forward to the database myself, so can't wait to see what you have in store.

Alright, back to working.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2010 11:43
THIS is AWESOME now i can train on my texturing skills without having to make the base model myself^^ ill see what i can come up with^^

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2010 15:40 Edited at: 6th Jan 2010 15:41
Here is mine, I dont know what to call it. But i suppose Asian Henchman would suit
Attached to post.

Will make a zombie version, so you get an extra texture to the collection

Attachments

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2010 16:59 Edited at: 6th Jan 2010 17:02
Well heres mine,

Catagory : Scfi

Meca Armour #1

I used a highlight strokes on the texture, but i was undecided which to use, so the filtered one is in the Dl. *Filtered used in render

Ill start work on the different versions now.

-Con

Attachments

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2010 18:54
Looks good Laz,

Reminds me of the suite out of crysis. Good stuff!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2010 23:24
Very cool guys! Added the latest ones to the list. Plan on having once completed myself tonight. Took the kids to the Cincinnati Museum, I didn't want to leave.

Almost at 1% completion!! Be cool if we could do that by the end of tonight...but no rush, take your time and have fun.

SJHooks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 00:57
Lazarus I'm curious about the style you used to make that model; did you use a tablet and some sort of brush that looks like paint and then virtually paint that texture? Cheers.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 01:10 Edited at: 7th Jan 2010 01:13
Just recently finished watching the first season of Darker Than Black, so I'd thought a fan texture was in order.

Almost finished.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Im not entirely sure but i think its called matt painting or is it airbrushing? Bah i just draw.

Since i use a graphics tablet, and have always been a traditional artist i literaly draw what i want. As i would with any art piece i draw the basic outline then build up from it. That ended on 50ish layers though i average about 100-150, when i am really motivated, like the dragon texture it did it can be 300+ Even though it was a hack job from the reference istill needed it to work with the mesh so i ended up redoing it from the ground up.

The brushes? just the standard with a faded smooth edge. Since i use photoshop they allow greater control of stokes. Pressure sensitivity works with most tablets so i can decide the thicker sof stokes. For this i used a 20-40% opacity with 60% flow and just buttl up the details using several colours. Would you belive that i used blues and greens in it ^_^

Ive put up a picture of what i mean by the strokes, Ive used the standard fade at 20% opcaity and 60% flow, colour- Pure black.

The black dot is the brush size.

Its easy to build definition when your at 300% zoom on a 1024 canvas. Though you can see the motivation + res drop on the arms ^_^"

An Josh what a brilliant anime Darker than black is, i finished series two, two days ago. Intresting branch storyline.

Heres a link to them.

http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/darker-black-ryuusei-no-gemini-online

The site must pay royalties since its legal to watch for free.

Oh I gave up on the stupid colour changes, they were'nt working- or i wasnt- so ill just do seperate textures. Feel free to change or add stuff to it, just dont forget to credit

The .psd is attached with each part already split up for you's

-Con

Attachments

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 12:12
Nice Laz, but you really need to push those main forms, get some more shadows on there to make them pop!

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 14:01
cant load model in max, it says: "improper file formath"
and in ms3d it says: ERROR (13): ERR_READING_FILE: Error occured while reading file

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 15:11 Edited at: 7th Jan 2010 15:13
Quik are you importing ? you cant just load the model you have to import it in max. Im using uptodate max 9 and its loading fine for me.

And fine okay, ill give the shadowing better attention since am not making re-colours

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 15:48
yes ofc iam importing=P

[Q]uik, Quiker than most

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 03:01:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 03:01:56