Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Dr. Sam

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2010 07:07
This might be a little far out there but Does anyone here remember that old dos program that acted like a counselor ? it went something like this : it would print on the screen , "hi please have a seat , the doctor will be with you in a moment" a second later it would print "hello please have a seat , how are you feeling today"
you would then type in something like "I feel awful today" and it would reply "so , why do you feel awful today ? " ect, ....
I was thinking it would be really neat to make a free app like this that instead of typing back to the person would actually talk. This could be achieved by using text to speech via everyones favorite "sam"
perhaps some the community here would care to pitch in a little with some of the common things a person would say and I could do the coding for it but before I undertook such a task I would like to know what your opinion is. Is it a project worth doing ?
comments ? suggestions ?

----------------
Gamerboots~
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 03:21
I think you're referring to Dr. Sbaitso

Senior Web Developer - Nokia
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 05:12
yes , that was the original one I was refering to. Later on someone made a clones of it and called it dr. eliza. The parser was pretty good to as I recall. Anyway, Whats your thoughts on my proposed project Jeku ?

----------------
Gamerboots~
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 14:36
I think it's a pretty cool concept, but it would be a nightmare to program! Imagine all the combinations people would try and you'd have to be able to recognize them all in your parser.

It't a large project, unless you could develop some really clever AI but that's also pretty complex I would assume.

Still I like the idea

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 07:11 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 07:13
Quote: "Imagine all the combinations people would try "
whitch is exactly why I proposed that the community would chip in as far as the parser goes, if things work right I believe it would be a simple matter of reversing some of the pronouns. The project itself could continually be revised and updated as new things that people would say and the programs responses were added to the parser.

----------------
Gamerboots~
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 12:49
Quote: "The project itself could continually be revised and updated as new things that people would say and the programs responses were added to the parser."
Was thinking it would be kind of cool to have it so if the parser is totally stumped it sends what the player wrote to a developer, that way the developer could add it to the database of responses.

Small things amuse small minds I know!

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 13:31 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 14:13
that would be interesting , but I think users would have to submit that through email, or a wip forum as I'm not skilled enough yet to make the program send me an email. earlier you were saying it would be a nightmare to program well , its really not , as the core of the parser is only 9 lines. here is a sample though try typing in "im fat" or "my wife is a [sensored]"

----------------
Gamerboots~
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 14:34 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2010 11:48
I've actually had so much fun playing with it that I have made it a
WIP

----------------
Gamerboots~
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 00:38
Darth I did send you an email on this. did you recieve or did it wind up in the spam bucket ?

----------------
Gamerboots~
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 01:35 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2010 14:56
For speech, look up one of my old projects called UltraVoice. Look at the one in Code Snippets for the plugin. You can get started on it there.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 18:01:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 18:01:21