Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Multiplayer Space Shooter Source

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2010 06:32 Edited at: 4th May 2010 06:49
I've been working on this a while, it uses some code from these forums...i'll give credit soon as I remember who has what, so if you see a piece of code that is yours, let me know. I also created a lot of the code myself via trial and error. I'm not the best DBP coder in the world, but I managed to put this together. I plan to do something similar in .NET, which is what i'm better with.

If anyone has any suggestions, ideas or advise, feel free to express them in a respectful manner. I know there is a big demand for this type of source, so maybe this will help a few peeps. It has the 3d vector radar, overhead cam and pointer, would very much like to improve on these as I'm still working on a good tracking method as ships are hard to find, which is why it has all 3. It also demonstrates the usage of data files. These were used to help make it highly mod capable. I'll update as I do more work. Forgive the mess, been working on this a while. Press F1 for a list of keys, also note the C key changes cam view. I'm doing this to help others and to help build the DBP space sim coding community, there simply just doesn't seem to be enough out there nowadays. You'll need the enhancement pack and latest DBP version to run it. It also uses Benj's Tempest UDP multiplayer plugin...let me know if you need a copy. Enjoy!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sharlenwar
Years of Service
User Offline
This is amazing! Thank you!

On another note, is it possible you could provide links for which enhancement pack and the Tempest UDP multiplayer plugin. It would be helpful. Of course I could always search, but for us lazy folk. :-P

This will help me ten fold in getting my head around DB Pro. Thanks again!
Spritzen
Years of Service
User Offline
Getting an error on the exe, saying MFC71.DLL not found? Is that a plugin I'm missing? What plugins does it use?
XFS Illusion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2010 16:56 Edited at: 4th May 2010 17:05
I'll see if I can find the links, I don't think Tempest is here anymore but I can provide it i'm sure. As for the error, this is common in regards to the enhancement pack, I believe its an issue with DirectX. I've attached two DLL files, extract these into your windows/system32 folder. If this does not correct the issue, place them directly in the game folder. Also make sure your running directx 9c or later, I think the october+ editions work best.

Attachments

XFS Illusion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2010 21:28 Edited at: 4th May 2010 21:29
Here is the tempest engine, i just uploaded it because i had trouble finding it's link. Put the DLL in /compiler/plugins-user and the ini in /editor/keywords. Not sure about the enhancement pack, I bought it a while back so I can't upload it since its licensed by TGC.

Attachments

Attila
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
It's great, but if you go below the planet and turn to the right the ship tilts to the left
XFS Illusion
Years of Service
User Offline
ya i noticed that, never did get around to correcting it. Its not quite a full game yet, but it wouldn't take much to get it to that point. If anyone corrects or achieves this, I'd love to hear what was done. In the meantime, i'm working on a .NET version.

Sharlenwar
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I've just purchased that Enhancement add on for DBP. I'm going to get this up and running and then I'm going to dissect this wonderful game. Then I'm going to create a tutorial from this to teach n00bs, such as myself, how to create a game from scratch. Figured it would be a great way to learn and to contribute back to the community as well. Plus if it gets feedback from the experienced programmers out here, then that will definitely get my skills up!

Anyways, thanks for posting this, and I'm going to be messing around with this right now.
Sharlenwar
Years of Service
User Offline
@XFS Illusion: Okay, today I compiled the code and found a couple errors, but that was easily fixed with fixing the ' with `. It compiled like a charm, and I was up and running very quickly. Question for ya, is it okay if I post up the complete code through the thread here, or did you want to see the changes first?
XFS Illusion
Years of Service
User Offline
Whichever, I don't mind.

Sharlenwar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2010 03:42 Edited at: 11th May 2010 03:45
I've setup a blog to document my progress. Since I'm going to be using this source to help create a space sim style game, I won't be modifying the StarFight code too much. I'll probably get rid of the gosub's and create functions, etc. Reorganize the code and probably add comments into it.

Again, I can't thank you enough for this source. It has restored my faith in the community here and has helped me leaps in bounds the past couple of days.
XFS Illusion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 02:44 Edited at: 12th May 2010 03:01
Its not just my source, I put alot of snippets together but your very welcome. This is why I used Labels...one piece at a time over the course of a couple years in my spare time. I basically took a simple flight engine, merged it with Multi-player and added on to it from there. One thing I never got around to is correcting the way it inverts once you reach a certain hight, if you figure that out let me know.

You might find this useful, it draws a line from you to your target if its off screen. Its a short snip written in Dark.Net, but should be easy enough to convert to DBP. I plan to turn it into a pointer, i'll try to remember to post it when its done. The way it is now I think its very similar to tracking systems used on modern jets. I remember what got me into this was an interest in an old animated show called Robotech, where transformable modern type aircraft was adapted to fly in outer space. Aside from that I also had interests in Star Trek, Star Wars and other space based Scifi...so I guess that is where my influence came from. My primary goal, which I probably won't hit until I'm retired, is create a space based motion simulator cockpit. I sent you an email in regards to a similar but new project i'm working on.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 17:18:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 17:18:03