Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Bugsy's ''0 Ambience'' Lighting Tutorial

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 22:34 Edited at: 16th Jan 2011 00:16
BUGSY'S "0 AMBIENCE" LIGHTING TUTORIAL

Light is difficult to reproduce in a game, when it's really just a colour applied to surfaces. in reality, is light tangible? is there proof that light isn't just a construct of man to explain the absence of dark? or vice versa? is there even really dark? either way, in a game, light must act the way it does in real life, like a wave. yes, light waves are transverse waves that have all of the colours of the specturm in them, colourful lights have more or less of one spectrum colour, and no light in the universe, no matter how pure, is white. that's the first rule of FPSC lighting, unless under special circumstances, or direction of a professional, no white lights.

Transverse light waves bounce off of anything, walls included. there is no such thing as absolute darkness the same as there is no absolute light. this is an impossibility. a proper light illuminates the whole room, but can keep certain areas darker and others lighter. like so:

imageflock.com/img/1273260215.jpg[/img]
notice that while the outer edges of the room are darker, and less inviting, the light remains bright in the center

A popular style is very whitish, or vibrant lights covering a very small light zone, creating essentially the same effect I did there, however, completely unrealistic in that it does not refract off of the outer walls. this is logically impossible in nature. an example of nooby, unrealistic lighting is so:

imageflock.com/img/1273260430.jpg[/img]
notice the vibrant light making an good colour, but leaving the evil darkness monster to engulf the rest of the room. this is impossible in reality.

the proper way to create excellent lighting refractions and reflections, and keep the number of lights down, is to use a very dark lighting colour, and give it a big range. I won't be naming colours here, but if done correctly, a very large dark light can illuminate an area unbelievably well, and also create a vibrant colour near it's center.

imageflock.com/img/1272671763.jpg[/img]
skype = isaacpreston. I want to talk to YOU
WWIV Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 22:47
Great tut!

Current Game Progress: War Diaries 4%
Secret Project 2%
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 23:09
thank you WWIV studios!

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 23:15
The lighting in the first screen looks a lot better and more realistic than the second one. Good work

[b]FPSC MIGRATION: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 23:21
thank you marc steene!

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 15:09
Thanks, great tut! Still, darkness is occasionally cool... what you call unraelistic, I just call it cool.

Heimo Vesa ROCKS!!!!!
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, but it fully depends on the scene.

Good tut tho.

mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 16:18
I have to agree with Red-Eye, it realle depends, although good job!

Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 17:41
Remember however, more or less darkness can be created by darker colours and different ranges. I will agree however, that it CAN depend on the scene, but for the most part, unless under direction of a professional, I would suggest sticking to this tutorial. some people just don't understand how to use darkness properly. thanks for the replies guys!

Leaning Objects To The Side
Years of Service
User Offline
Bugsy, what you said in your''0 Ambience'' Lighting Tutorial makes a lot of sense. i now have a better understanding on the FPSC lighting system. Awesome JOB! Thanks. I hope you guys have a great day.

-Tanya.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2010 18:24
why thank you Tanya.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:10:50
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:10:50