Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] My temporary retirement from FPSCreator

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2010 05:57
Hi!

Well, some of you might noticed that I announced the release of Euthanasia yesterday. Thats correct! And after ages of buildgame processes and "wonderful" errormessages. A whole bible of errormessages -> I finally managed to get a stable build running.

For the record: Building a somewhat sophisticated level with FPSCreator v.1.16 is impossible.

In 1.15 you can build only one level, the second one will crash while loading.(In 1.15, the save/load system is one single big bug, btw)

And still...in those builded games: The whole lightmapping failed since numberous entities where overbright and unlightmapped.

It took me hours to add all the missing files so the game will run correctly (hands for guns/sounds/huds etc.)

this imageblock idea is the worst thing I' ve ever seen in fpsc since I can't merge seperately builded levels together without losses.

I have 4 (!) different builded Versions of Euthanasia on my harddrive and non of them runs correctly.

I had the same thing with Shavra (6 Levels...wasted time) but I kept going on.

Don't get me wrong. FPSCreator is a great creative hobby, but as long as I' m unable to build my final product... I leave.

I don't say that Euthanasia or my other Projects will never be released. I just say that all of this is too frustrating and too time consuming for me to keep going with it. Maybe 1.17 will do the magical fixes but I don't really believe in it.

So, keep being creative people, and don't forget old Wolfi

-Wolf

God Helps the Beast in Me!
nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
WoW you just made me to want to leave too....I Might leave too and others should follow aswell this bugs must be fixed i mean ok every engine has bugs but not that many i haven't released a single game cause of this bugs.....demn it

WWIV Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2010 06:30
I'm speechless that the engine has turned away one of the greatest developers here. This must be fixed or we could lose other great members as well.

(img)http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/sandboxjunction/fenixmodlogo.jpg(img)
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2010 06:32
See you when you come back; all the best.

-Keith
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2010 23:46
I have emailed Lee about this. I'm hoping he can take a detailed look at Wolf issues.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2010 04:53
V117 makes some significant moves towards more stability in the build process and better management of the virtual address space during intense light mapping. There is also an actual measurement of virtual address fragmentation as you build added to the prompt so you know when you get close to the 2GB theoretical limit for a 32-bit application. There is also resource meters in the map editor and also in the test game (when you press TAB). Hopefully these measures will help V117 combat the age old issue of build game crashes, which up to now had been caused by the virtual memory running out at any point in the build where new memory was requested (and denied).

I would like the opportunity to take Wolf's entire project and run it through the grinder here with our internal V117. With this, I can ensure (a) it compiles the desired standalone game, and (b) act as a super stress test for everyone else who have similar concerns over the build process. Wolf, if you are interested email me at lee@thegamecreators.com and we can sort out the best way for you to send me your project files (I know it's gonna be big)

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Im sorry to hear this Wolf, I suggest to take Lee up on the offer.

To Wolf and any other users who it may concern.

Over the past couple of weeks, I too have incounted holdups with the build process. However with the assistance of ErrantAI and Lee,
plus alot of testing I may have a solution for people to try.

Lee is correct in saying about the 2gb memory. And if you have large detailed levels, u may only be able to build a couple at one time. If you have smaller less detailed levels maybe more.
The idea of how to get around the build problem I have included below. This is a trial and error option and may take some additional time, however from the tests I have done so far, it has proved good results.

1. Build levels seperate, under different build names. IE: ???1, ???2 etc. (if possible build 2-4 levels in a group)

2. Keep the original build file/folder as the main.

3. Rename each level in the other build folders to there required level numbers or order. And copy these into the levelbank folder. Plus also adjusting the original Build folder's Setup file, to include the additional levels added. Keeping to the structure order you want. (if your not sure, copy the Level 1 structure and paste/rename the level number and so on.

4. *this is the trick.
Once you have that complete. In the Main build folder (that you have just added everything to) Delete the Image Build file. (this is the file that stores the texture details.

5. Reload up all you saved maps for your game, 1 by 1. and with a pen and paper, copy down all segments and entities used. Keeping a list helps you not add something twice later.

6. Once you have your list. Start a new fresh map in the editor.
Not following any form of level design. Start by adding segments first. only need to place 1. making sure that at least one wall/floor is used. Then place all your required entities.
*Now depending on quanity, you may need to split this up into 2 or more new maps. Making sure not to exceed the 2gb memory etc. So its something that may or may not work depending on length and detail of the build.

7. Once you have these new maps saved (such as ImageB1 etc) the build those maps into a new seperate build. Once complete, copy the imageblock file from that folder and place in your pre build Build folder of your combined game build.

*If done correctly, you will then have you textures complete.
Also I suggest do a small test first to try it out first, as I did.
Plus from what I could understand, I did not need to include lights or cutters. the pre built levels included these.

Good luck to all, as this thread is locked. Please feel free to ask for examples in a new thread. If its ok.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:31:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:31:43