Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / AGSP: Storyteller's Adventure Game Script Pack (uses pickobject & fpgcrawtext)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2010 09:21 Edited at: 8th Jun 2010 04:33
This pack consists of scripts displaying text messages and are best suited for adventure or survivial games in the style of Silent Hill, Obscure or Penumbra.

Entities with these scripts can be investigated by targeting them with the crosshair and pressing <Enter>. To make them work 100% you need to have the latest version of FPSC 1.16 installed and use a mod that includes the PICKOBJECT condition (Fenix mod does and I have been told that every mod including AirMod also has it). EDIT: The latest version of RPG MOD also includes the pickobject condition, you just have to rename it to rpg_pickobject everywhere in my scripts.

The aim was to get rid of huds popping up out of nowhere (even while you have turned your back at the entity) and stop picking up stuff while running through the map before you even have seen what is is. Also I wanted to make the game environment more interactive.

These scripts use no huds anymore and are presented in a way that make them easily customizable to fit any game setting.

After 4 weekends of hard work I have the basic pack ready. It contains 300 ready-to-use scripts for:
- firearms & ammo
- melee weapons
- health items
- doors & keys
- blood overlays & corpses
- searchable entities
- flavour items
and some odds

In addition the pack includes 40 custom soundfiles for doors, keys, containers etc. Since I only have Windows Movie Maker to work on sounds, the quality is rather poor and you might consider to rewrite the soundpaths to use sounds from Model Packs you have. The pickup sounds for most items are scripted to come direcktly from the gamecore folder's stock guns sounds but if you use weapons from Model Packs or the GC store, then these might have better sounds too.

Here is the youtube demo vid. I had to cut it down to 10 minutes, playing the simple demo actually took longer than that:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iehQEKGfHrY

That's the download for the demo game itself:http://www.file-upload.net/download-2580329/AGSPTest01.rar.html or http://www.megaupload.com/?d=36MR5K0L--->UNFORTUNATELY THE GAME CRASHES UPON ENTERING THE WINZONE - I am working on it! You can enjoy the demo anyway, just don't enter the winzone (you'll get forewarned due to my scripts ) at the end but use ESC instead.

And here is the download for the basic pack: http://www.file-upload.net/download-2580309/StorytellersAGSP.rar.html or http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EDRQMH8V

In case someone wants to check out a single script without downloading everything first - this is an example for a stock wooden door that needs a "small key" to be opened:

Although I was constantly testing and improving the scripts, it is possible that one or the other still doesn't work as intended (or that I screwed it up during the improving process ) Also I am still not a native english speaker, so some of my text lines may sound weird (or worse). In both cases I apologize in advance and will be thankful for any feedback.

Feel free to post any questions you might have!

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2010 20:36
Looks very nice...Although a game with everything like that might drive me insane... lol

- Gorlock
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2010 21:22
Nice work, Storyteller. A lot of effort and hard work put into this pack. This is greatly appreciated, and will be put to good use from us.

- BlackFox

Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2010 21:29
wow, thanks! I'll be sure to try and use this sometime!

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2010 23:51
This looks excellent! Especially as it has no huds popping up!

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2010 23:53 Edited at: 8th Jun 2010 02:57
Thanks for the scripts and stuff. Very generous give of your time to put this together.

Quote: "Looks very nice...Although a game with everything like that might drive me insane"

It would -- except you wouldn't use this in every aspect of the game. This is a demo and therefore it is emphasizing how it works in various ways. You probably knew that already since you had a smiley at the end.

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
JUST THE RIGHT THING FOR MY FAN GAME OF PENUMBRA!

NOW YOU ARE THE MAN!! Thanks, Storyteller!

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 00:34 Edited at: 8th Jun 2010 01:41
Quote: "ColtFang:
JUST THE RIGHT THING FOR MY FAN GAME OF PENUMBRA"

That's one I am really looking forward to!

I found from the start that the FPSC X9 engine would only allow to develop 2nd rate shooters but is the best easy-to-use editor on the market to create 1st class adventure/survivial games.

Regarding your project, I am still stuck with the switches and I am sure you'll need those. It will take me a while to make the scripts 100% foolproof and still versatile at the same time but I'll get there.

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Btw, is there anyway you could make a zip with not the FPSCGdraw or something but using the "Findhud" code or something?

cause im thinking of putting Black edges at the top to make it like a cutscene

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 00:51 Edited at: 8th Jun 2010 00:52
The gimmick about these scripts is to AVOID the need for any huds

But you can easily create a "moviescreen hud" that pops up as soon as the script starts, and vanishes when the script is over or the player stopped it.

The more complicated part will be to get the HUDrelated commands into the script at the right place - and this several times for each scripts.

Personally I prefer to save up cutscenes for level intros or conversations (and not just for simply picking up a key). And when doing cutscenes it's (at least for me) easier to record 10 minutes of ingame vids and create an avi file with WMM. If you ever tried to include a dozen different soundfiles in a SCRIPTED, cutscene you know why.

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you make me a script that runs when one of yours start and ends when the script ends??

Like:

"Dogman Head Example"

You go close the Head,
Text and Edge appear "Alltogether" both at the same time

Til the end, when you end the conv (Text Dissapear)
Edges, or hud dissapear

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 01:24 Edited at: 8th Jun 2010 01:24
I am not sure if I could...and to be honest I won't even try this, because I started writing these scripts for my own projects to get rid of huds once and for all

But I am sure there a lot of people here who have more experiences with huds who can help you

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 01:37 Edited at: 8th Jun 2010 01:39
Btw, someone know what are the coordinates to put the trigger like this

Example: Bottom of the screen

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 02:15
@Flatlander

I edited my first post, so it now includes your info about rpg_pickobject

Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 02:49
Heya storyteller, will these work for x10? I am not sure if the FPGCRAWTEXT is FPSC x9 only.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 02:59
Thanks ST01. I really appreciate that.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 03:26
@Soviet

Since I don't have X10, I have no idea if frgcrawtext or pickobject work there

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 04:10
Can someone upload this to a different site? File upload never loads on my computer for some odd reason

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 04:29
Alternative downloadlinks are in 1st post, since file-upload.net doesn't seem to work for everybody.

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 05:19
Thank you. You're generosity is outstanding I think we're all grateful for all the work you put into this.

-PwP-

mAcpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 07:27
great job on this! your going to save me a ton of time, I'm looking forward to setting up some puzzles for my games

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 08:07
Thank you! Saved me a lot of time.

Abdul Ahad
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Again, coolio!!

just to set this thread up fire again

Time to see this post Blue!

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2010 02:44
This is so cool Storyteller, and absolutely generous of you! New scripting and gameplay abilities are always fun and useful, so thanks for this man. Have a great day

Cheers.

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 15:28 Edited at: 10th Jun 2010 19:18
I just realized that there is no usable small "steel bar" in the stock media.

So to be able to use my "Door Wheel Stuck" scripts that call for a "steel bar" as a key, I patched one together. The .zip contains no model or texture, just an .fpe file and a thumbnail. Its nothing more than a downsized structural stock item that takes all the necessary ressources from the stock library. The AImain however is allready set to the "steel bar" script from the AGSP.

Just dump the folders content into your FPS Creator directory and the steel bar will turn up in entitybank/ww2/items

Attachments

Login to view attachments
King Of Khaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2010 18:48
Wow Storyteller, this is very generous of you, you saved me about 5 days... I'm definately using them in my game! Thank you kindly for these!

Btw, can they be used commercially? Just wondering, the game i'm going to use them in right now i'm going to post for everyone to play. I will definately put you in the credits!

Cheers, Jake
------------------------------------------------------------
-The Marsundle Residence- (Coming Soon)
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2010 20:46
@KoK:

The attached license says of course, that everything can be used commercially.

Who could really claim an IP on scripts anyway?

King Of Khaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2010 20:47
Hah, i guess you're right. I'll still credit you though. I could never make a script like that.

Cheers, Jake
------------------------------------------------------------
-The Marsundle Residence- (Coming Soon)
Scope
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the download,excellent work.
Scope
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks! Very nice work!

Zay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 21:18
Wow this will SO come in handy with my new Horror Adventure game based on Penumbra,thanks a million!
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 16:20 Edited at: 16th Jun 2010 16:20
@Zay: I am looking forward to this, always liked that kind of games. Should you need some more complex test-scripts send me a mail and I'll see what I can do

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 17:03
Great work on these storyteller, I'm definitely going to use them when I start a project, will add a lot of professionalism to any game.

The only thing I noticed in the video, was that it took a second or so for the text to appear when you looked at each object, is this changeable?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0Ghz, 2.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz, ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 18:06
@SpyDaniel: It does take as long as it takes the player to press <Enter> as the script is only starting if both conditions

pickobject=1 AND plrusingaction=1

are fullfilled.

You could however delete the first plrusingaction=1 in the script, then the text would automatically appear - but that would have 2 consequences:
1. For pick-up objects its OK but for large objects like doors the text would jump on the screen like the old huds.
2.The scipt automatically freezes the player which would appear weird, if the player has not taken a deliberate action first.

But technically these scripts can be altered in a wide range of ways

vortech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 18:22
So to get this work i justneed to put that script to entity?

There is always hope somewhere.
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 18:36 Edited at: 16th Jun 2010 18:43
Basically yes - the entity has to be set to dynamic of course.

The pack includes a readme-file and every single script also includes some instructions in its description on how to use it.

example:

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 21:35
Storyteller, would it be possible to have more than one item stored in the script and have it choose a random item to spawn?

Also could it be set up to fail searching an item, so it could say "I didn't find any thing." but when you search again, it could spawn an item due to it picking random actions?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0Ghz, 2.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz, ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 21:59 Edited at: 16th Jun 2010 22:06
@Spydaniel:

Afaik finding different items will not be possible, because you can only put one item's name in the "if used" field of the containers properties. It is possible (the ammo box in the vid did this) to spawn several different items at once.

However I know of a "Random Weapon Chest" script that found a workaround to this. You should be able to find the thread.

Modifying the script to spawn the "if used" item randaomly or not is no problem but seriously I wouldn't use it as it will distract the player a lot. If he once finds something where he didn't 5 minutes ago, he will spend all the time re-searching every container he comes along and eventually be frustrated.

A better workaround would be to have a triggerzone that spawns the item randomly and stays active so every time the player runs through it, there's a chance the item will spawn (it can also be spawned numerous times or set to a random number in the items properties), because the player won't notice this and therefore can't deliberatly trigger repspawns.

Personally I am very carefull with the inclusion of randomness (with health or ammo items at least) as it can seriously unbalance the game.

gendestroier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2010 22:51
ohhh GOD !!! this is the best script pack i have ever seen !! NICE ONE MATE ! by the way, anyone already reported or posted any project green tutorial ? scriptlist ? just curious...

mods for creating a inteligent game,at least
vortech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 16:58
Tried with pg. It stopped moving but no text. Fenix mod isn't working.

There is always hope somewhere.
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 17:06 Edited at: 20th Jun 2010 17:36
Thanks for the feedback!

fpgcrawtext doesn NOT work with PG thats right - probably because PG hasn't been updated to 1.16.018 yet.
I allready posted this in the PB thread to ask if it works at least in PB.

But it works with FPSC 1.16.018 and Fenix Mod V1.1 - thats what I used for the youtube vid.

gendestroier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 21:56 Edited at: 21st Jun 2010 21:58
dude! I did a really cool thing with the scripts of the cash system conjured, and your narrative scripts! I blew them both! and working! I managed to create a script where you buy a gun (or anything else) without the necessity of those boring huds! so that a problem exists, there is a bug in the fenix mod where you happen to still be able to walk because of the script of legs. because this script is doing the plr have two modes, normal movements plr, and the chart moves in question, and this creates a conflict that makes the plr strange move when it should be stopped. weird huh? is it so? but in general it's all working.

even put my script in (code snipped) but I do not know how! if someone tell me, I put in the forum! okay !?

EDIT:i did this with the pick up cash script too. it is too cool !!!

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 22:04
*dude*, sounds like you did something cool...but I don't think you need my scripts for that

If everything works you should open a thread and post them.

gendestroier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 23:46
''If everything works you should open a thread and post them.''

i don't know do that too

and yeah, it's all working...

i don't know quote,put links, my situation is ugly, must be because I am noob when it comes to forums, eh ?
is my first time making part of a forum.
i'm still a little....

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2010 18:21
This is something I'm definately using in my future projects. Thanks man! You've put a lot of effort to this.

With me disaster finds a playfield
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2010 13:26
Thanks for the kind words, all of you.

If I can get a free weekend or two I'll do some additions

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "fpgcrawtext doesn NOT work with PG thats right - probably because PG hasn't been updated to 1.16.018 yet.
I allready posted this in the PB thread to ask if it works at least in PB."
It also does not work in PB. I just tried it, and nothings shows, but the player does freeze and you have to just hit around in the dark for the button to respond. Sorry long hot day, but I thought I would let you know. But as you said it worked perfect with fenix. Good job!

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2010 06:37
It works with RPG Mod.

tetrafin33
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2010 21:48
Im really confused and frustrated right now :$ can someone explain to me what I have to do to actually get this and use it? I know im a noob! Okay, so I downloaded fenix mod and I dont know what to do from there, do i also need airmod to access certain content in fenix mod?
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2010 22:47
You can use these scripts even in Vanilla FPSC as long as you have the latest Version of 1.16 installed, the only thing you'll miss is the pickobject condition. But even without it the AGSP scripts are an improvement to the huds normally used.

If you have Fenix properly installed you don't need any additional mods to use these scripts to their full extent.

For questions about Fenix mod itself, please check the Official Fenix Mod thread.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 20:38:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 20:38:34