Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Unexpected Vertex Animation instead of Limb Animation!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everybody, I'm new to the forum but I'm playing with DarkBasic Pro for a while. Recently I stumbled into a problem with animated meshes in the directx ".X"-Format...I made a little test-object in Blender3D including a 2-Bone-Skeleton and correct skinning. Then I made 2 simple animations (the first one from Frame 1 to Frame 40 and the second animation from Frame 41 to Frame 80) and exported that object with it's animation to a directx ".X"-File. In DBPro I simply loaded the object and whenever the user presses 'a' or 's' the first or the second animation is played. Normally the animation should show a rotating limb (as would normally happen with bone-animation), but instead the animation is a simple vertex-animation like a morph. Is this a problem of DBPro, or is it a problem of the Blender X-Exporter? I have attached both files (DBPro Source & X-File) so you can test it by yourself. I hope someone could help me with that, because if there is no solution to that problem I have to completely skip my little game-project.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 19:50
Apparently works, but does strange things.I had a look in my viewer
(Deep exploration), and it moves as you problably done, but once in Dbpro it looks like vertex just displace and not rotate...

It works ok from frame 0 to frame 20 then it star displacing vertex.Try to make a more complex object with more bones, and try againg.

cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 21:03
If you are using the basic default exporter with blender 2.4x it turns up all sorts of these wonky scaling/stretching errors when exporting/importing to DBP.

If you are not already, try using Kira's exporter in the link in my sig, it works wonderfully in 2.49, I havn't tried it from 2.5 yet myself but I hear good things.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 21:27
The animation works fine here. I'm using U7.5.
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 22:24
Quote: "The animation works fine here. I'm using U7.5."

I`m still using U7.4

I have opened "bonetest.x" with Deep Exploration, and just save it again with a different name, and now it works so smooth.

Download example.

cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 22:44
Thanks Chafari.

The animation ran so fast that I didn't notice the flattening halfway through the animation.

It was me that was confused.

The animation runs OK in DX Viewer so it looks like DBPro does something silly.
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2010 01:23
@Green Gandalf
DonĀ“t worry...at first I thought it was ok , until I realized that the animation was not correct . When I save the object to x again, something occurred to file and seeing both objects moving, we can see which one moves correctly.

Cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2010 02:13
Quote: "something occurred to file "

Have you compared the X files to see where the critical change is?
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2010 02:34 Edited at: 27th Sep 2010 02:37
Quote: "Have you compared the X files to see where the critical change is?"

Not exactly...just saved from Deep exploration . I do not know why, but most converter use to change something inside the file that makes sometimes it works even better.

re-edited
Have you found out where ??

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
ShinZo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everybody! Thanks for the responses. Tried Ortu's directx-exporter for Blender 2.49 but there I got similar problems...if I switch "Export Animation" on and "Export Armatures" off, the exportet X-File hast only the Mesh and no single Frame of animation in it...if I additionally switch "Export Armatures" to on, I get a X-File with Mesh, Armature and Animation-Frames in it, but DBPro is not capable of playing the animation. However, I'm not sticked to a specific file-format, so is there a reliable way of getting Meshes with Bone-Animation from Blender to DB-Pro??? Or is there any other FREE and EASY TO USE Software, where I can import my meshes, rig them, animate them (with IK/FK) and export them to DBPro???
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2010 05:30
If you want to post up the .blend file, I can take a look at it and compare the setup to some other objects which I have exported successfully.

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2010 11:59
@Ortu: Does that exporter in your sig negate having to apply scale and rotation after every edit in Blender?(Ive had succesfull exports since 2.37a but have to apply scale/rotation after every edit to avoid the distorted appearance when exporting animated armature rigged meshes but its so annoying to have to do)
ShinZo
Years of Service
User Offline
Made a couple of tests now with lots of different export-scripts. None of them seems to work proper enough to create an animation DBPro is able to read. I have attached the blend-file now, so you can take a look at it...maybe I made a mistake in rigging or animating the figure.

Attachments

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2010 22:34 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2010 22:39
Ok it looks like it just needs a couple of simple changes. Doing this I got it exported and loaded into DBpro correctly.

Hope this helps!

@James: I don't recall having to apply the scale/rotation, it's a habit to do it every now and then anyways so I'm not really sure. It should be a pretty simple thing to test though

ShinZo
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, it did...just making the mesh "real" (whatever that means) seems to help in all cases. The animation is now a real rotation as intended. Thank you for that hint.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 01:11:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 01:11:24