Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [NaGaCreMo '11] - Menu Maker

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2010 17:53 Edited at: 8th Feb 2011 19:55
MENU MAKER

Introduction
I’m participating in this years national game creation month. I’ve decided to finish a project I began working on not to long ago. The project is a menu editor. The point of the editor is so I don’t have to hard code a menu every time I create a game. This is just a little section of a larger editor I’m working on. Of course I’m not gonna finish the whole editor in a month. So I shrunk my goal. What the menu editor is supposed to do is basically allow me to drag and drop text and images to put together a menu. It will even handle buttons. After I’ve finished the menu I’ve desired I can create it which will create a folder with a notepad file and media folders required for the menu. In the notepad file will be a function which I will be able to copy and paste into my project I needed the menu for. It’ll then run the menu in whatever section I pasted into.

Progress
Finished Product
Working on it
Simple concept

Text
Create text
Edit text
Drag text
Edit text Font
Edit text Size
Edit text Style
Edit text Color
Edit layers

Images
Load image
Drag images
Edit image Transparency
Edit image rotation
Edit layers
Edit image size

Buttons
3 button states(idle,hover,clicking)
Different images per state if desired
Different text per state if desired

Options
Be able to change dimensions(3D or 2D menu)
Edit Resolution
Edit Background Color
Clear menu
Save current menu
Load a menu
Create Menu
Preview Mode

Known Bugs
Clicking on text lengthwise
Selecting images or text by layers
x and y seem to shift a little when loading a menu

Screenshots
Quick Menu

Image Rotation thanks to Latch

Links
NaGaCreMo forum page - NaGaCreMo
Download link - Menu Maker

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
DUDEEEE!! That's awesome stuff. I hope you finish it! It would be a great help for people who don't know how to make a menu(or are too lazy).

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you and yea, my whole idea behind was how time consuming the menu was and how i wished i could just get into the game mechanics. So i decided something like this could come in handy

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 07:04 Edited at: 28th Dec 2010 08:08
I got the text size to change and the style to change for each individual piece of text. I'm having trouble with the font changing indivually. guessing its dark basic having trouble with. I also got the drag image part working. you can now select the image when it opaque or transparent. Next up is getting the font to work and putting layers in so it displays the correct images in front of each other and depending on layer. it selects the top most image.

Edit: Got text font working . Now just layers

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Can the menu make play like videos? Because just a grey background is a bit boring. Plus can we have custom buttons?

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 19:40 Edited at: 28th Dec 2010 19:41
Never thought of videos. i could add that. and what do you mean custom buttons. to create a button, you would add you're own images to make the buttons form, or you could make a button without any image at all and it could just be a word

Edit:
and the background can be an image so it doesn't have to be grey like in my example above

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahh. I would put an image for the buttons.
How would you put the menus in your game?

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
the menu maker would create a folder with a notepad and all your media in it. in the notepad would be a function that all you would have to do is copy and paste into your game and it will run the menu. and of course, your going to have to move the media to the same folder as your game, or project... whatever lol

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 20:18
Will this work in DBP as well?

TheComet

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
i could probably manage that. at the time its just for dbc, but it wouldn't take to many changes to make the function work in dbp. now gdk. thats out the window. i wouldn't know how to do that.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 22:38
OK, sounds awesome Nice project, I will definitely use it for my projects if you finish

TheComet

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
haha thanks just gotta get it finished. I plan to add more then just whats up there, I just set my goals a bit lower so i can get it "finished"

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 19:50
Great idea! This will be useful to many people.

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
@CoffeeCoder
Thanks for the comment and I hope it comes in handy.

@All
New updates:

Got the images rotation working thanks to Latch. Settled for cutting the amount of images aloud in half but i'm pretty sure none of you will worry about using 30000+ images anyways. wouldn't have much room for the rest of your game.
I'm also currently working on layers which i'm running into a slight dilemma with but should be working by the end of the night as well as the image sizing should be done by the end of night.
All that would be left before the demo would be saving and loading of menus but hey i might even release one before that so people can get used to it although you will all have to forgive me if i do because it isn't very clean yet.

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
@All
Update again:

Finished the sizing of images and layering of text and images. Now Just have to do buttons then possible a demo

Here's a picture of a santa being rotated

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2011 18:50 Edited at: 7th Jan 2011 09:01
@all
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've finished the buttons and having different states per buttons. I also added a little feature that allows you to preview the menu. I'm actually not sure if it will work, I haven't tested that part, but I'll have that figured out momentarily. It also might be a little buggy in places you'll have to forgive me. Please leave C&C.

Here's the link:
Menu Maker

There's also a download at the bottom of this post, at the bottom of the first post and a link on the first post.

EDIT 1:
Did a little debugging myself and found 2 bugs.
1)Changing text size then clicking on it
2)Buttons working on the preview mode

EDIT 2:
Bugs:
1)Clicking on text lengthwise after changing size
2)Layer clicking of images and text

Fixes:
1)Clicking on text height wise after changing size
2)Buttons now work in Preview mode (though not in the attached demo) I'm gonna wait till I get saving and load done before I do another demo

Attachments

Login to view attachments
pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay first. I wanted to appologize to everyone about the messed up link. I used the url shortener on the wrong page when i was copying the link but now the links are updated. Sorry again. Also I got loading, saving, and clearing done. Everything should work perfectly. Besides the few bugs. I'll have a video up tomorrow

Bugs:
1)clicking on text lengthwise when size is changed
2)when loading a menu the x and y positions seem to shift a little
3)clicking on text and images by uppermost layers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:46:43
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:46:43