Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Blitzwerks Terrain

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2011 09:58
A new plugin has been released for DarkBASIC Professional - Blitzwerks Terrain.

Blitzweks Terrain allows you to load and render high detail terrains at very high speed. Blitzwerks Terrain features level of detail terrain rendering along with its own rendering engine to provide super fast terrain rendering.

For more details please visit http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2286
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2011 11:42
Oooh, nice!

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Sweet

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2011 23:04
Do we know what size terrains can be produced? or is it just a memory limit?

[url="http://raptr.com/No_Turn_Right?src=em_forum"][/url]
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2011 23:23 Edited at: 31st Jan 2011 23:25
It's based on heightmap size (4096x4096 max) and the scale factor you use. Beyond that you'll have to test and see what specs are needed to support the terrain you want to create.

Ordered and waiting..

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2011 00:03 Edited at: 1st Feb 2011 00:03
Thanks everyone for your comments! And thanks KISTech for buying!

Quote: "Do we know what size terrains can be produced? or is it just a memory limit?"

The size can be as big as you want. The amount if points in the terrain is limited to 4096x4096 due to DBPro image size limits. You can make a very large, high detail terrain with just a 1024x1024 heightmap.

The demo which was used to take the screenshots for the product page is nearly ready for release. I just tidied up the code so it is easily readable. It should be up sometime this week.

Guido Italy
Years of Service
User Offline
I buy Blitz Terrain , but i recived this error (Attachment)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2011 15:52 Edited at: 1st Feb 2011 15:59
Quote: "I buy Blitz Terrain , but i recived this error (Attachment)"

That's an error for not having the correct Visual C++ runtime library installed. Try downloading and installing this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=bd512d9e-43c8-4655-81bf-9350143d5867

"So hold your head up high and know, it's not the end of the road"
Impulse Game Engine
Guido Italy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank !!!!
GeeBee
Years of Service
User Offline
1. Can Blitz Terrain handle lightmapping or will a shader be required for shadows?

2. Any demo version planned? I am shy about paying for something that didn't fulfil expectations - particularly the "render terrains...at very high speed".

Habits can get you into trouble sometimes (unless you are a nun....)
The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2011 16:00
1. Lightmapping can be applied if it is baked into the diffuse map. It is also possible to use shaders on terrains generated by BT.

2. The free version of this plugin is available here: http://blitzwerks.co.uk/download.bw?BT201R1_DBP&zip

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2011 17:30
Quote: "1. Can Blitz Terrain handle lightmapping or will a shader be required for shadows?"

You can use L3DT to generate a lightmap and mix it with the texture which is what I did when creating the terrains for the screenshots/video.

Quote: "2. Any demo version planned? I am shy about paying for something that didn't fulfil expectations - particularly the "render terrains...at very high speed"."

As The Wilderbeast said, you can download the free version.

Heres a link to a demo comparing Blitzwerks Terrain with Advanced Terrain, It includes compiled executables.

Quote: "http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=download&file=5056"

GeeBee
Years of Service
User Offline
Wilderbeast /kaedroho

Using the exe's in the ATBT_WaterDemo, I go from 16FPS (Adv Terrain) to 20FPS (BlitzTerrain). Statistics taken from the initial load point to try to give a common point of reference for comparison.

At this stage I cannot see a measurable benefit - but would dearly love to be convinced otherwise. Any thoughts?

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2011 23:25 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2011 23:29
GeeBee, heres a link to the thread for that demo. It shows benchmarks from many other different people with different computers:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=164760&b=1

It mostly depends on your spec really. If you have a very old pc, then the FPS will not rise that much (since most of the work would be in the shader and not the terrain). Some people with newer pcs are getting FPS increases of up to 5 times as much!

PS: What are your specs?

GeeBee
Years of Service
User Offline
Core 2Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz
3GB RAM
NVidia GeForce 7050/nForce610i (onboard graphics)

Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
How many levels of lod can you have?
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2011 16:59 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2011 17:00
You can have up to 255 LOD levels. Very few people use more than 5 though.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2011 22:19
I will be releasing the first update sometime this month. I will be adding new features and speeding the engine up. Please let me know of any requests.

Also, please feel free to ask any questions about Blitzwerks Terrain.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2011 22:58
Anything you can pass on about how to make use of color heightmaps?

I understand the concept, but might need a little clarification on how to take a color heightmap generated by something like L3DT and convert that to your format.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2011 23:21 Edited at: 4th Feb 2011 23:56
The colour heightmapping feature simply takes the value of the green channel to fine tune in the value on the red channel for extra accuracy. I will create a program this weekend which converts RAW files from L3DT into these colour heightmaps.

For now, use this code I just quickly wrote.

Simply, compile it. And put your RAW file in the same directory and call it "heightmap.raw". Run the program and it will produce a new file called "heightmap.bmp" you can use this in Blitzwerks Terrain for increased accuracy. I have attached an example heightmap to show you what colour heightmaps look like.

Areas where the gradient of green is large is usually where stepping would occur. The green channel fine tunes each vertex to to make sure stepping doesnt happen.

[Edit] I forgot to say that these heightmaps should be backwards compatible with older versions of Blitzwerks Terrain and Advanced Terrain. Since most terrain engines only read the red channel anyway.

Attachments

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2011 19:52 Edited at: 5th Feb 2011 19:52
A new demo is available,

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=181322&b=1

This shows Blitzwerks Terrain rendering gigantic terrain (2048x2048).

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2011 12:59 Edited at: 25th Feb 2011 18:07
I'm hoping to get an update out this month. Let me know of any requests you have. Heres a list of what will be included:

New functions:
BT MakeTerrainObject TerrainID,LODLevel,ObjectID - This will create an object for a terrain and make each sector as a separate limb. This is for simpler collision. [done]

BT DisableTerrainNormals TerrainID - This will prevent BT from generating normals for a terrain. This will improve load speed and RAM useage and should be used when lighting is precalculated on the texture.

BT EnableAutoRender Enabled - This will make BT automatically draw everything in the sync command without the user needing to use any update/render commands. This is easier but may be slower.

BT UpdateObjects - When you have positioned, scaled or modified your terrain, this function will apply those changes to the collision objects generated with BT MakeSectorObject or BT MakeTerrainObject.

New features:
Ability to set the amount of Smoothing or Reduction to be done on a terrain.
Add flag to BT MakeSectorObject and BT MakeTerrainObject to make BT keep track of these objects and update them when needed.
Add Painting functions to Realtime Terrain modification.

Optimisations:
Restructure render code to make multiple camera rendering even faster.
Add ground plain to frustum culling system.

Bug fixes:
Fix holes which sometimes appear when using Reduction.
Fix normals bug reported by smass (not been reproduced yet)
Fix normals bug reported by KISTech [done]

Your signature has been erased by a mod please reduce it to no larger than 600 x 120.
Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 06:49 Edited at: 13th Feb 2011 07:03
Is there a list of functions anywhere? That would give me a better idea of how flexible it is.

Right now, it looks like it handles only the terrain object itself (Which it seems to do very well) and generates normal maps. Do you have any plans, or does it already, handle any of the terrain related texturing needs such as texture layering, detail textures, detail normals, etc? If it does, I'd love a set of functions that would allow me to fine tune the normal and detail normal map. It would allow me to script a brush that could 'paint' small erosion and indentions and such into my terrain to add detail without adding poly's. I can do that now (And plan to), but something integrated into Blitz to ensure that it's as efficient as possible would be wonderful and ensure that any changes that I make to the normal maps don't get overwritten by Blitzterrain during a map update.

The ability to alter the landscape in real time is great for blowing craters in the ground, but I see a potential problem in using that in an actual game. While the landscape may update very quickly, there's a good chance that there will be trees, grass, rocks, houses, trolls and jedi knights all standing at that spot.
While a few of them may have physics to let them fall into the new hole, many probably won't. If we have to set every tree and bush to be a physics object, then the game will lag. If we don't, they'll be floating above the hole. We could script a function to find any objects floating where the ground used to be and re-place them, but in order to do that accurately and quickly we could use some pre-made Blitz function that was designed to do that automagically.
BlitzResetObjects(CraterCenterX#, CraterCenterY#, CraterCenterZ#, CraterRadius#),
or even just
BlitzResetObjects() if Blitz already knows what it is busy lowering.

Those are my thoughts on it so far. I'm still saving up the cash to buy it, so some of this may already be there. Most, if not all, of those ideas could be done the old fashioned way. Mostly, it'd be to help out beginning scripters to make their own terrain and for any potential speed improvements from having them built in.
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 11:54 Edited at: 13th Feb 2011 12:00
With all the time you guys put into developing this plugin, don't you think you could have spent a few extra moments designing a logo that didn't blatantly rip off the Unreal logo?

You guys should have taken a page out of Roger Dean's book. He has wonderful organic fonts. Perhaps you could have commissioned a logo from him. That would have been awesome.

Rant asside, I'll probably buy this plugin (annoying ripoff logo and all).
Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 12:22
The Unreal logo? I'm not seeing it.
There are a few Unreal logos. I have them in my Photobucket account for easy access when I'm needing to give them credit when I'm discussing any of my UDK programs.
I won't post the images here since it's not relevant to the thread, but if you go to Unreal's website and look, it's just a stylized U on a shield.

But, back on topic...
I just noticed the new function you mentioned, kaedroho:
BT DisableTerrainNormals TerrainID
That got me wondering; Is there a function that will allow me to set the normals size for my terrain, or is it always one set resolution?
I ask because I may need to adjust it to make it compatible with painting detail normals into the surface. Basically, my detail normal will be very high resolution with only red and green channels. I'm hoping to be able to save out the detail normals as a series of normal maps so that I only need to load the maps closest to the camera. Then, I need to layer my detail normal over the main normal so that they make a single normal map. Being able to alter the resolution of the main normal map may help me ensure that the two will be compatible together.
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 13:00
Wyldhunt,

I have attached a pdf with the functions that you can use in Blitzwerks Terrain.

The normal map detail is set to the detail of the heightmap. So if you have a 1024x1024 heightmap, the normals will be 1024x1024 as well. If you want higher, you will have to use a shader.

For collision, I have created a system in Blitzwerks Terrain which communicates with the physics engine and updates the collision when the terrain gets altered.

I think a solution to this problem and the problem to do with having to reposition collision objects when the terrain has been repositioned would be to add a flag into make sector object which makes BT keep hold of it, and handle all the updating, etc. This feature is on the list.

For the trees, you can use BT GetGroundHeight and it will use the new height.

Tapewormz,

I haven't seen the original Unreal logo until now. Its a coincidence that we used the same font. I'll get the logo redesigned.

Attachments

Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 15:10 Edited at: 13th Feb 2011 15:16
Yup. I'm sold. That is a very thorough instruction manual.

The only thing that I would consider to be a fairly standard option in most high end terrain editors that this one lacks is normals that match the detail map or get layered over the full normal map.
The difference in quality from better normals really is extreme and often a must if anyone wants a really high end graphics game. It looks like you are creating the base normal that follows the existing terrain for lights, but an extra layer of normals can do this:
[http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TerrainAdvancedTextures.html#NormalMap Textures: Adding bump detail]
//EDIT The link won't work in the forum because of the spaces in the name. Just copy paste everything in between the brackets.
Scroll down a tad and they have before and after pics. All they did was layer the red and green channel of a detail normal over the base normal.

Regardless, I'm adding this to my wish list of goodies so that's just meant as a first critique and maybe a feature request for some future update. The program looks awesome.
BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 18:38
@kaedroho - You don't need to change the logo, I think your logo and font looks fine.
Tapewormz comment is out of line. He can use whatever font he chooses for his own logo, he doesn't even own Blitzwerks Terrain yet.
Similarities are bound to happen with so many products on the market.

I purchased Blitzwerks Terrain last week and I look forward to using it on my next project.

I am really interested in the crater/landscape deformation aspect tied in with DarkPhysics in my new game.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 20:19 Edited at: 13th Feb 2011 20:21
Don't worry about the logo. It's fine.

While this example isn't textured up with shaders (yet) and is pretty basic and uncluttered so far, it's what I've been able to accomplish with Blitzwerks Terrain. This is a 1024x1024 color heightmap and 4096x4096 texture created with L3DT. I used the BT settings for a horizontal scale of 8 and vertical scale of 4.

This is an outstanding add-on!!

Attachments

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 15:46 Edited at: 14th Feb 2011 15:57
I've just downloaded this and I'm having a major problem.

Whenever I try to complie any of the examples I'm getting the error msvcp100.dll missing. I've downloaded the missing dll and installed is into my system32 folder where I assume it's supposed to go, but I still get the error. Image attached.

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 7 - 64 home edition.
DBP u77

*UPDATE*

DBP is compiling other source without any issues

http://jimjamsgames.yolasite.com

Attachments

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 16:02 Edited at: 14th Feb 2011 16:05
Thanks Wyldhunt, BillR and KISTech for the comments!

Scene Commander, you need to install this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@kaedroho

Thanks for the very speedy response, that has solved the issue, many thanks.

On a side note, I've got to say how much I'm looking forward to using this, I've tried previous versions of Blitz terrain in the past and found them to be excellent. Given it's pedegree I'm expecting this to be one of the most useful DBP addition I've purchased.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 16:36 Edited at: 14th Feb 2011 16:43
Scene Commander, Thanks! I am glad that it all works now.

I have created a new function.

BT MakeTerrainObject. This makes a DBPro object for a terrain, this is used with collision.

The next function that will be added is BT UpdateObjects. When you have repositioned, scaled or modified your terrain, this command applies the changes to your collision objects which were created using BT MakeSectorObject and BT MakeTerrainObject.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 16:38 Edited at: 14th Feb 2011 16:40
Sorry, back again.

It worked the first time, now if I try to compile any of the examples I'm getting this

A simple this program has stopped working. I've tried reinstalling blitz terrain with no luck

Attachments

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 16:44
Does it say which module the error is coming from?
Is this the full version or the free version?

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 16:50 Edited at: 14th Feb 2011 16:53
Hi, This is the full version and no, it just says that the program has stopped working.

I've just discovered that everything works fine in the old editor, so it's not BT but the editor that is crashing. So the issue must lie with an editor compatibiltiy issue.

The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 19:16 Edited at: 14th Feb 2011 19:17
[Edit] Never mind, just saw the version info you posted.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 20:17 Edited at: 15th Feb 2011 00:22
I'm having a strange issue with lighting the terrain.

It appears that the lighting of the terrain is coming from 90 degrees off from the actual position of the light. (ie, standing facing the sun/light position, the shadows are falling to the right of the hills)

This happens whether I'm using DBPro lighting, or a shader to light the terrain.

I thought it could be the normal map being generated by L3DT, but I just generated a new one using the NVidia Photoshop plugin and it did the same thing.

[EDIT]
Nevermind. It seems it's happening to ALL of the objects in the scene. Not quite sure how THAT works. I can see the sphere I created and placed where the light is supposed to be, and the sphere is in the right spot, but the light is coming from a different angle..

Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2011 06:38 Edited at: 15th Feb 2011 06:40
Quote: "you need to install this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84"

A quick note:
Any customer who buys or plays your game will also need this Redistributable Package installed. If you use any other dll's that require redist. packages, the customer will need to install those also. I'm not sure if it's possible to make a dll that doesn't require a redist package. But, try to keep track of which packages any dll's use because you'll have to make the customer install them all to play your game.
There's separate packages for 2005, 2008, 2010. And, each of those have a X64 and X86 version.
If you're not careful, it seems like you could
wind up with a program that forces your customer to install 6 packages to make your dll's work...

On that note;
@kaedroho
Do you know of any way to compile that can avoid that problem(On our side or yours)?
I know that a lot of program installers flash a screen by that mentions updating my redist packages so that it's invisible to the customer, but I can see a tangle happening when we combine dll's from different Microfail editions that all require different stuff to run.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2011 18:17
@Wyldhunt

It's really simple, all you need to do is include a single redist package matching your version of VC++. The x86 one should be used even for people running 64-bit windows because it refers to the mode which you used to compile the dll, not the user's OS. This redistributable can be included in your installer and can be made to run as part of the installation process. To the end user it will be invisible.

The tangle with different versions when using shared dlls like this used to be a problem before windows XP, when MS brought in side-by-side assemblies, which basically means that windows makes sure that different versions of shared dlls don't conflict with each other.

[b]
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2011 19:43 Edited at: 15th Feb 2011 20:23
Ok. I resolved the lighting issue with the other objects, but the problem with BT still exists.

The X and Z coordinates of the lighting are flipped.

Here's a quick code snippet to show the problem. Watch how things light up just ahead of the light, but on the wrong side of the hills.

If you save this as a project in the same directory as one of the BT examples it will find the needed media.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2011 21:26 Edited at: 15th Feb 2011 21:39
KISTech, I can't really see whats wrong here. I can see that sometimes a face is lit when its facing the opposite way, but it all makes sense when you think about the directional light.

But it looks like you overridden the directional light...

I will have a go at flipping the normals around a bit to see if the lighting gets solved.

EDIT: You were right! I swapped the x and the z normals and it looks much better now, thanks for reporting this! (image with corrected normals attached)

Attachments

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2011 21:48
Cool. Feels good to get one right and have it not turn out to be something I did wrong.

Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 00:22
@Diggsey

Let me give a better example of my concern:
I don't know which packages the other dll's need because I've not been asked to install a package for them, so this is hypothetical.

Let's say that I use DarkAI in my program and it was compiled by TGC with Visual C++ 2005X86. I also use a gui plugin and it happened to be compiled with Visual C++ 2008 X86. I use BlitzTerrain and it's Visual C++2010 X86...

Anything I compile in DBP that uses those 3 plugins will still need those packages (The Blitz demo still needs the 2010 X86, for example).

Now, every customer who plays my game needs 3 packages installed to make my game not crash. I can't go in and re-compile them all myself to make them match, I don't think.
Needing to install 3 different redistributable packages may be enough to turn off customers.

So, I guess what I'm asking is if there's some way that kaedroho could recompile in the same version as the other main dll's, or get TGC to re-compile his code and dll's so that the versions of all the official dll's for TGC website match.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 01:04
I understand and agree, but it's not likely to happen. Some of the add-ons are coming from sources that may really be outside of TGC's control.

Besides, if they were going to recompile all the add-ons to bring them all to a common DLL base, I'd like to see all the bugs fixed too.

Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 01:15
As far as I know, most of the other dll's that TGC sell are 2005 X86.
Third party dll's will always be outside of TGC control. But, Blitz has been adopted into the realm of official now.

I bet Lee would be willing to open the code and hit compile for the sake of less headache on the end user... Assuming that kaedroho is willing to share his code, and that it'll even compile in an older version of Visual C++ of course.
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 11:24 Edited at: 16th Feb 2011 11:27
In about a year almost everyone will have the 2010 redistributable installed anyway. In the next year most of the programs and games that will be released will be using it.

I am installing VC++ 2008 express so 2010 will give me the option to compile with the 2008 redistributable. Thats as far back as I can go.

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 12:42
I have a problem in that when I try to regester Blitzwerks terrain it tells me
"product unknown"

Its a bit frustrating since ive cut and pasted my activation key straight in there.

anyone else had this problem?

how do I fix it?

Sometimes I like to use words out of contents
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 12:54
Quote: "I have a problem in that when I try to regester Blitzwerks terrain it tells me
"product unknown"

Its a bit frustrating since ive cut and pasted my activation key straight in there.

anyone else had this problem?

how do I fix it?"

Have you updated DBP since BT came out? Might be that's the problem...

Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 13:05
Quote: "In about a year almost everyone will have the 2010 redistributable installed anyway. In the next year most of the programs and games that will be released will be using it."

True. Perhaps I should be asking Lee Bamber to have you re-compile all the TGC stuff.

I've been testing the free version while I wait for money to appear so I can buy the full version.
I'm impressed. Can't wait to see what I can do with the full version.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 03:28:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 03:28:31