Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Tabulara Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 05:55 Edited at: 13th Feb 2011 05:55
Hello,

I decided to make a WIP on my latest project to show everyone what I’ve been up to the last couple months. It’s a game engine that at the moment is named the Tabulara Engine (Tabula Rasa Software is the unofficial name I use for what I make, so I shortened it to Tabulara for the engine).

The Tabulara Engine is a collection of “modules” containing functions related to that module to make game development easier. I started making it because I was never able to work on one project at a time, so I have a bunch of half-finished projects sitting around. So I decided to make a game engine that could be used to make creating all of them easier. The engine will probably be used to create both the games and editors for the games. I’m not sure if I’ll actually ever release the engine’s source itself, but I’ll hopefully be releasing what I make with it, which could include game editors for modding the games made with it.

Anyways, enough talking, here’s a list of the current modules and their estimated progress:

I have several games I’m planning to make with it:
-Pirates of Port Royale
-Pirates of Port Royale World Editor
-Modern Conflict
-Post-Apocalyptic Co-Op Zombie RPG
-Police Game

The problem at the moment is it’s difficult to show most of the features, because (as you can tell by the module names) it’s hard to show many of them because they handle a lot of behind the scenes stuff (which is really the point of the engine – to make all of that stuff easier). I'll make some more progress videos soon, but here's 3 to start with, along with the code that was required to make them using the modules I've created (to show how relatively simple it is):

Physics

Required Code:

Destruction

Required Code:

User Interface - Windows and Toolbars

Required Code:

And what documentation I have done on the engine commands if anyone is interested:

I'll keep you posted on progress, just thought I'd go ahead and post a WIP to encourage me to keep working on it and to show off what I've done so far. Thanks for reading!

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
The destruction and physics are easily my favorite of what you've shown so far! Nice work.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 09:40
This is some really cool stuff! Is that destruction stuff live (and works on any model)? If so, that's awesome!
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 13:24
Sweet god! Epic! Will it be commercial or free?

In progress of making Archery Simulator... Or maybe not simulator x]?

@There'll be a sig @
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Impressive!

http://lossofanonymity.wordpress.com
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 18:17
Woah! Very impressive. How does the destruction work? Is it calculated for any model or do you have to make a smashed wall model and a smashed roof model?

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 19:05
Quote: "Is that destruction stuff live (and works on any model)? If so, that's awesome! "

Not exactly, unfortunately. It is pretty simple to set up, but it's still only pseudo-dynamic. What you have to do is split your model up into parts, and save each part as "base_#" where base is the model name, and # is the part number. Then you make a destroyed version of the model and save it as "baseD_#", where the # is the same as the corresponding non-destroyed model. The nice thing about it is you can add as many parts as you want by doing this without adding any code, and it's all handled by the engine if you just save the models with the correct name.

Quote: "Sweet god! Epic! Will it be commercial or free?"

Thanks . Well, I don't know if I'll be releasing the engine, but I'll probably be releasing editors made with the engine. I already have LUA scripting support, so the idea is that you should be able to have a lot of flexibility with an editor.

Thanks for the positive comments!

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Why not try the CSG commands for your destruction?

http://lossofanonymity.wordpress.com
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 01:07
Quote: "Why not try the CSG commands for your destruction?"

Hmm...what are those?

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Using a mesh you already have, you can place it over an object and use the csg commands to cut a hole out of the object, the exact size and shape of your mesh. It fills in the geometry too, I believe (might be wrong!).

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 02:33
Gil, impressive as always. What do you use for physics?

A 3D marble platformer using Newton physics.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 03:41
Quote: "Using a mesh you already have, you can place it over an object and use the csg commands to cut a hole out of the object, the exact size and shape of your mesh. It fills in the geometry too, I believe (might be wrong!)."

Hmm, cool, I'll have to look into that.

Quote: "Gil, impressive as always. What do you use for physics?"

Thanks . I'm using the Newton Wrapper for the physics.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:03:01
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:03:01