Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Put paying adverts into your game [Google Adsense]!

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2011 18:19 Edited at: 4th May 2011 18:21
I have some free code to add "Goodle Adsense" adverts into your DBP game. I was working on this for the AppUp DBP Developers Group but as it's something not specifically AppUp I thought I'd share it here too!

Some of you might not like the idea of selling out to "the man" but I get on quite well with him these days. So if you want to put paying adverts into your game you'll need BBB Gui plugin, your own website (or someone willing to let you put some pages on theirs) and a Google Adsense account...

Here are the steps:

1-Set up an Adsense account here: Google Adsense

2-Create a banner using the wizard (it's pretty simple to do but I'll make a full guide soon) using image only adverts. Copy the code it produces into notepad or something temporarily.

3-Add the code to a page on your website with nothing else in it at all (save the url)

4-If you don't have BBB Gui yet then download and install it for free from here: BBB Gui

5-Include the BBB Gui constants file in your project

6-Add the following code at the start of your code somewhere:

7-Add these functions somewhere after your loop (While positioning allow for 10 pixels either side and 15 pixels top and bottom in addition to the size of the banner when positioning the banner):

8-Anytime you want to show or hide the banner just use the show/hide functions I added!

That's all!

Here's what it looks like in my demo for "The Last Stand":

Who likes the fact that I have an Anti-Virus add in my Zombie game

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2011 18:57
Quote: "Who likes the fact that I have an Anti-Virus add in my Zombie game"

Not very, concidering they are taking over most all the net with scams. first they offer fake downloads, then when you download what ever they are offering and open it it gives you the very virus they promiss to clean out for a price.

I would never, ever ever ever advertise in any game I created as it looks bad and tackey.

my signature keeps being erased by a mod So this is my new signature.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2011 19:11
Quote: "Not very, concidering they are taking over most all the net with scams. first they offer fake downloads, then when you download what ever they are offering and open it it gives you the very virus they promiss to clean out for a price."

I actually have never had a problem with AVG (nor have the 25-30 year old software company I work for)... sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

Quote: "I would never, ever ever ever advertise in any game I created as it looks bad and tackey."

I don't think ads are tacky in free games especially if you are offering the game free of ads for a price. You aren't asking the user to pay anything for something you worked hard on, just to look at or ignore an advert in (for example) the main menu or loading screen.

Most people don't even notice adverts most of the time. I bet you drove past 50 on your way to work today and didn't even notice them.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2011 19:23
Adverts in games are great, it allows the user to play games for free and the developer to make some money for all their efforts.

The user will usually have the option to buy the game without ads so I don't see a problem.

Great work baxslash.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2011 19:42 Edited at: 4th May 2011 19:44
Glad to see you got it working.

Have you got this approved already? I haven't got as far as getting my campaign OK'd yet, I'm wondering what they will think. I've created my page in PHP so I can deliver different content when it's viewed online rather than in-game, it might help to get the ads fine-tuned too if some of the page views have other text in them.

Quote: "I would never, ever ever ever advertise in any game I created as it looks bad and tackey."

really? have you looked at all of the in-game ads lately? On every platform? Many with the sponsors name in the title or strapline? When somebody buys WWE Smackdown or F1 Racing they've purchased a blatant advert in the game title itself, yet they have bought it because it's "WWE" or "F1", and not "Lets Wrestle" or "Fast Cars".

I can say from the experience of others, that advertising in-game can be many times more lucrative than charging for the game (to a magnitude of hundreds). I have in-game ads for my fundraising games, the games earn about £20 on the day, and £200 beforehand in advertising revenue. If you're making games just for fun then ok, but if you want to make money then it's worth thinking about.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2011 20:13
Yay! It's good idea

Especially when you want to make lite version of your game/application which supports google adsense ads and pro version without them. It's just some kind of idea .

Anyway, i don't see other use for that .

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2011 20:42
I can see if you are going to let people play it for free, I did not think of that when I wrote what I did, I guess it is pretty neat to do this if you get payed for it that is.

I would not do it myself But im shure there will be people that do it, this is a good idea in the end.

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't advertise Adsense, it's a bunch of hooey... they will never pay you and in the end you support a bigass mother F-in company.

And of course, there is nothing more disgusting than ads in a game.

Just make something very popular and then put ads on the game's website.

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~12%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2011 21:37
Quote: "Don't advertise Adsense, it's a bunch of hooey... they will never pay you and in the end you support a bigass mother F-in company. And of course, there is nothing more disgusting than ads in a game."

1) It's more customizable by the person hosting the ads than any other ad system I know.

2) They will pay you.

3) So just because they are a large company means they are not worthy of support? Google are about as good as you get compared to something like Apple or Microsoft. Almost everything they do is free, the code is open source, and you can even extend it.

4) Your view that ads are disgusting in game is not held by most of the population. Many games intentionally put fake adverts in just to make the scene more realistic.

[b]
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2011 22:59
Quote: "2) They will pay you."

They never payed me? not one time so I quit advertising for them.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2011 23:00 Edited at: 4th May 2011 23:02
Quote: "Don't advertise Adsense, it's a bunch of hooey... they will never pay you and in the end you support a bigass mother F-in company."

They pay me, and what's even better they pay me in my currency now. I was losing quite a bit in the conversion previously.

to answer a question in the other thread...
Quote: "Any idea how it compares financially? I know you have to chose between money per thousand impressions and money per click."

My preference would be for pay per click. In the past I've had 4-5 pence GBP (about 8 cents USD) per click on average, but once in a while you hit lucky and can get up to £5 for one click. It's also the fair way to do it, I'm not sure if Google will be massively keen on this concept so you'd want to stay clean and play fair. If your game is refreshing the ad every 60 seconds from the same IP address, it will look like a bot, and technically it is. Google own Admob too which is their advertising for games, but that's aimed at flash and mobile games.

Right now my ads are mainly on the hi-score screen (although I've also done exactly what Baxslash has done on the menu!), the high scores are also delivered on the page. This should make the page more "normal" in terms of content for the ads to be generated from.

The next challenge is getting the ad to open in a new window when clicked, which Google do not like either
[EDIT] Baxslash I see you've already managed this! Is it an option now, it's been a few months since I set up a new Adsense campaign?

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2011 23:06
Quote: "They never payed me? not one time so I quit advertising for them."

I'm no expert but are you sure you reached the minimum amount required for a payment? They may be crediting your Adsense account but not transferring it to you until you rack up enough.

Quote: "which Google do not like either"

Talking of which... I'm quite keen to get this working in my games but I was just signing up to Adsense and I couldn't help but notice this:

Quote: "Google ads, search boxes or search results may not be:

Integrated into a software application of any kind, including toolbars."

Is this going to be a problem?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2011 23:50
Quote: "Is this going to be a problem?"

This is why I primarily added it to my HiScore page, all of which is a web page. This makes it a web page conveniently displayed in a web container in my game. I hope this is sufficient to fit into their terms. It would be a bit like the TGC Store and other apps that are driven by web content.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2011 08:57
Quote: "Have you got this approved already? I haven't got as far as getting my campaign OK'd yet, I'm wondering what they will think."

Haven't even looked at starting a campaign...? I just followed the steps to make a banner and put the code into my webpage. Is there something I missed?

Quote: "I've created my page in PHP so I can deliver different content when it's viewed online rather than in-game, it might help to get the ads fine-tuned too if some of the page views have other text in them."

Some advise on this kind of stuff would be great as my knowledge of php is zero

Quote: "The next challenge is getting the ad to open in a new window when clicked, which Google do not like either
[EDIT] Baxslash I see you've already managed this! Is it an option now, it's been a few months since I set up a new Adsense campaign?"

I didn't think I had managed that but I do have an idea how. I'll take a look.

Quote: "I'm no expert but are you sure you reached the minimum amount required for a payment? They may be crediting your Adsense account but not transferring it to you until you rack up enough."

Yeah, you need to make 1000 hits before they give you anything.

Quote: "Google ads, search boxes or search results may not be:

Integrated into a software application of any kind, including toolbars"

Didn't see that. I'll look into it, isn't Internet Explorer a software application?

Quote: "This is why I primarily added it to my HiScore page, all of which is a web page. This makes it a web page conveniently displayed in a web container in my game. I hope this is sufficient to fit into their terms. It would be a bit like the TGC Store and other apps that are driven by web content."

That's all I'm doing too really, just happens to be that all that's on the page is the banner...

Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2011 11:52
This is genius. I'm rich!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2011 14:40
Quote: "This is genius. I'm rich!"

Might take a while to get rich. I wouldn't try making a bot to refresh the browser either as Google might get a little annoyed with you, being a huge company they only need to flick a little finger and you'll end up bruised.

I'm still looking into the legality of using this in a game the way I have it shown here so don't use it just yet...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2011 15:01 Edited at: 5th May 2011 15:03
This is under the heading "Your Responsibilities"
Quote: "
5.2 Google reserves the right to investigate, in its absolute discretion, any activity that may violate this Agreement, including any use of a software application to access Ads, Links, Search Results, or Referral Buttons or to complete any Referral Event, or any engagement in any activity prohibited by this Agreement. You shall cooperate with any such investigation in good faith.
"

This doesn't say you can't display the ad in a software application, just that they reserve the right to investigate your useage of it. This means if you are refreshing the browser / ad on a regular basis when there is no genuine requirement to do so (such as the user pressing a refresh button) they will consider it a misuse.

Here:
6.1 You shall not, and shall not authorise or encourage any third party to:

(a) directly or indirectly generate queries, Referral Events, or impressions of or clicks on any Ad, Link, Search Result, or Referral Button (including by clicking on “play” for any video Ad) through any automated, deceptive, fraudulent or other invalid means, including through repeated manual clicks, the use of robots or other automated query tools and/or computer generated search requests, and/or the unauthorised use of other search engine optimisation services and/or software;
"

See what I mean?

(c) frame, minimise, remove or otherwise inhibit the full and complete display of any Web page accessed by an end user after clicking on any part of an Ad ("Advertiser Page"), any Search Results Page, or any Referral Page;
"

This part basically means that the user must be able to click on the ad and get a full web page of the result. I will write a small addition to the code to allow for this.

You can look at the full terms here: Google Adsense T&C

I see no reason to make this into a working and legal ad bearing these factors in mind unless anyone else sees it differently?

In the meantime I'll be making a simple browser in BBB Gui (using the given example probably) which will be opened if the user clicks on the add, that way I am personally satisfied that the T&C are met.

Personal disclaimer
I will be using these ads in this way and in no way encourage anyone to do it my way or any other way without first ensuring that they are satified that what they are doing is not in breach of the T&C above!

You can make up your own minds, but my personal opinion is that this is not in breach.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2011 16:39 Edited at: 5th May 2011 16:45
You make a good case! Seriously though, it's like you say. If these apps are getting Google legitimate hits/views, even if they investigate, why would they bother taking action?

Quote: "In the meantime I'll be making a simple browser in BBB Gui (using the given example probably) which will be opened if the user clicks on the add"

Much as I admire your intension to build a web browser, wouldn't this be easer?

This way, the user gets it in their chosen browser too.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2011 17:00
Quote: "Much as I admire your intension to build a web browser, wouldn't this be easer?"

Ha! I didn't think of using "execute file"! Thanks. That's rather a lot easier...

I'll post my edited code ASAP.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2011 12:33 Edited at: 6th May 2011 12:34
Quote: "Some advise on this kind of stuff [PHP Hiscores] would be great as my knowledge of php is zero"

This is where I started,it explains it far better than I could...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=170586&b=1

from there I opened up the PHP help files for the syntax and started hacking away. The most important addition is the hash key which I added to the forum thread mentioned above. This prevents people hacking your scoreboard and adding their own scores. You also need to "clean" the url. I don't have the code to hand but Google"PHP SQL injection clean" and you'll find it.

This is my Hiscore page in display mode, it looks extremely basic in a web page, but integrates into the game quite nicely. The extra PHP that I still have to add will include the Google Ad and also a different presentation of the page for people browsing rather than looking at it in-game. That will be controlled by the url parameters, the example here is the in-game parameters.

http://www.devink.co.uk/hiscores/scoredisplay.php?g=PileUp&l=1&f=FFFFFF&b=000033

Quote: "Ha! I didn't think of using "execute file"! Thanks. That's rather a lot easier..."

Be careful, this makes it software automated. I have been trying to get my head around this for a while, but your example that opens a new window solves it. This was never possible before. Clicking in your game will spawn a browser window in Windows.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2011 12:56
Thanks Steve, I'll keep working on this and I did try to do the online scoreboard that way but I got lost.

Quote: "but your example that opens a new window solves it."

I didn't specifically do a version that opens a new window, I assume that some ad-links open in a new window while others don't. Maybe there's a way in BBB Gui to ensure that links are always opened in a new window. I'll ask on the BBB thread...

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2011 01:14
So long as an ad pops up either during a loading, or perhaps a level failed splash screen, I think this is a great idea.

Ads during gameplay = really, really bad. So careful where you place them within your games.

Help build an online DarkBASIC Professional help archive.
DarkBasic Help Wikia
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2011 09:00
Quote: "So long as an ad pops up either during a loading, or perhaps a level failed splash screen, I think this is a great idea.

Ads during gameplay = really, really bad. So careful where you place them within your games."

I agree completely. I don't think I've ever seen an ad appear over a game. That would be ridiculous.

Maybe if it was on a billboard you were driving past, that would actually be quite cool. Anyone have any ideas how to turn the contents of a BBB window into an image that could be used as a texture?

miso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2011 10:41
Quote: "Ads during gameplay = really, really bad."

I've seen ingame ads in the asian mmorpg 9Dragons from Acclaim. It was a long time ago, and I think they removed it after a year because of the player's pressure.

No place like 127.0.0.1 .
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2011 16:10 Edited at: 7th May 2011 16:13
Quote: "I don't think I've ever seen an ad appear over a game."

That seems to be the norm with free mobile Apps, and is atrocious. Just when you need to fling a disgruntled bird you get an ad blocking your aim.

Quote: "Anyone have any ideas how to turn the contents of a BBB window into an image that could be used as a texture?"

I do indeed, I have ingame ads in a racing project, but I haven't gone as far as grabbing them from the internet. I'm not sure it would be possible using Google AdSense because of the wa it's delivered and the way you get the clickthrough address. But if you used something like Tradedoubler you would select the ads you want to display (rather than getting something random) and use their image content and a stable URL. How you would click on a url in-game I don't know!

To make this work I think you need to put the image content on your webspace and a text file with the url link details. You could retrieve both of these to put a clickable image texture into your scene. You can change the ad at any time, or perhaps retrieve a list of current ads from which you choose.

Anyway...the code. For the montage cover of the last newsletter I got Paul to give me a csv file of user names and avatar URLs. From this I wrote a DBP program (of course) that grabbed all the avatars from the t'internet (some were TGC avatars, but most were spread across the intraweb) and save them to a folder. A lot is hardcoded because it was a one-off, but you'll get the thrust of it.

Again I apologise for the lack of comments but this was a one-off job just for my own use:

and when you realise I had 100 avatars to collect, you can see why I did it this way!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2011 23:24
I hit a bit of a quandry. I was using BlueGUI WebBrowser but it always gave me scroll bars, so I tried your BBB Gui code. The BBB Gui WebBrowser crashes my game. I'm on Win7 32-bit.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2011 20:54 Edited at: 9th May 2011 10:58
I'll have another look as soon as I get a chance. It was working on Vista (I think)...

EDIT: Can't check this today as I forgot my flash stick (which has my DBPro installation and projects on it), I'll try to take a look tonight.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2011 10:59
OK, I sorted my problems, and so here's a couple more tips:

1. Blue GUI scrollbar (and possibly BBB Gui once point 2 implemented)
This can be solved using CSS in your web page (thanks to Diggsey). The css is added within the <HEAD> section.

2. Borders around ad

Quote: "allow for 10 pixels either side and 15 pixels top and bottom in addition to the size of the banner"

Again this can be resolved using CSS, so that the ad fits in a window of exactly the same size as the ad.

So to include both, here's the code:

3. Focused ad content
I've also added meta-tags to get the right types of ad in my game. Previously I was getting a lot of text ads and completely irrelevant stuff as there was no content for the AdSense to pick up on. Now, I get game adverts only and my page looks more "normal" to Google.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2011 12:18
Thanks Steve!! That's some really handy info.

I'm just having a go at implimenting it now...

Cheers!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 14:50
Can anyone out there with any experience of BBB Gui help me to resolve my last few issues with this?

The only problem I'm having at the moment is that clicking on the advert doesn't open the user's default web browser at the location in the link.

I'm trying to get this together in time for this month's newsletter and any help would be greatly appreciated. BBB Gui could get some good exposure from the article too if that helps?

Attached is the test project at it's current state...

Thanks anyone!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 16:14
Quote: "clicking on the advert doesn't open the user's default web browser at the location in the link"

I tested and it doesn't do anything for me either. My default browser is Chrome. I can't mess with the code and test because BBB browsers crash for me when I compile.

The same process works perfectly for me with Blue GUI. I have no special coding,it just works when I click, opening a new browser. You could narrow the problem down...

1. Test a standard HTML link, just throw together a quick html page. You might want to try target='_blank' too in your link to see if changes anything.

2. Try Google text ads, see if they work. The one I get is a Nokia Flash-based ad. The cursor changes to a hand, so it knows it's clickable.

3. Install Fiddler and see if you are getting any communication at all when you click.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 16:23
Thanks yet again Batvink, I'll see what I can work out from those suggestions.

If anyone who can use BBB reads this would they mind taking a look too?

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 21:47
Quote: "If anyone who can use BBB reads this would they mind taking a look too?"

Sorry for not responding earlier, university stuff is currently killing me so i don't have time.

Here is modified version: when i click on a banner the new web page opens in firefox, so i suppose it works now.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2011 10:38
Thanks a lot Brendy Boy!!

I'll take a look and let you know how I get on

basjak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 05:13
is what am reading true or not.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 09:12
Hey, my avatar is on that newsletter cover!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 10:37
Quote: "is what am reading true or not."

That depends on what you're reading?

Quote: "Hey, my avatar is on that newsletter cover!"

Good for you!!

Did this just become the place to put random posts?

Lucky you did post here anyway guys because I should have posted an update.

Update
This is something I had to drop because while trying to get clicking on adverts working Google suspended my AdSense account for 'unusual clicking' activity. If you are going to try to get this working make sure you warn them what you are trying to do. They didn't even read my appeal I think...

Batvink appears to have something working in "Pile 'Em Up" but I'm not sure if it's using this system or something slightly different... anything you can share Batvink?

basjak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 14:34
however, google disapproved my application yesterday because my website is incomplete.

what am really looking for is the best root to start selling games. I've been selling services before but can't find the best root for selling games.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 15:07
Quote: "what am really looking for is the best root to start selling games. I've been selling services before but can't find the best root for selling games."

For DBPro games the best route is currently AppUp in my opinion.

I started a group of developers here that can help you. Check out this thread, the first post contains details for how to get your game on AppUp: TGC AppUp Developers Group

We even have our own website which is dedicated to advertising our games: ADG Games & Applications

In order to get your game on our site all you have to do is get it published on AppUp and then we'll give you a User Account and Password so you can add your own Game Listing. The only other requirement is that subsequent games include a link to the site from within the game menu. This is just to improve everyone's exposure through each other's sales / downloads.

I hope that helps!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 18:35
Quote: "Batvink appears to have something working in "Pile 'Em Up" but I'm not sure if it's using this system or something slightly different... anything you can share Batvink?"

I'm using Google AdSense in a web container. If you right-click an ad in my game and view the source you'll see how I added certain code to gear it towards game ads. I get 100% ad delivery from the network.

I tried AdMob, owned by Google but seemingly not working under the Google ethos. I get zero delivery of ads and absolutely no help whatsoever from AdMob. Their Google Group is almost static and all the cries for help go unanswered.

Baxslash I think it may be worth appealing again, they may listen if you are persistent.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 19:34
I implemented Google Ads in the RADAR Demo and Google seem to have approved my first months worth of payments (amounting to the grand total of ~£2.50) so I think my method worked without generating suspicious looking clicks. And I should hope so to as I went to some lengths to ensure that I met Google's T&C!

The method I used was very similar to the method at the top of this thread and that used by BatVink but I added some extra features. When you click on an ad, it is supposed to open in the same window, not a new one. Therefore when you click on an ad in the RADAR demo, it will expand from it's little place in the corner to fill the screen. You can then choose to close the add and return to the game or to open it in your web browser. Feel free to give it a try, the demo is free to download from AppUp. I have a little DBP library of code for this so that I can use ads in future games so if people are interested, I can throw this together with some basic instructions and put them here.

I couldn't make head nor tail of AdMob.

@basjak
They rejected my website for lacking content about 3 times as well but I just kept expanding it until they were happy. I think the clincher was when I uploaded all the documentation for modding RADAR and for working with my LineMap Plugin to the site because that gave the word count a mighty boost. Anyhow good luck getting approved next time.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 21:30
That's great Lucas, could you post some code? It would be a really handy!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 23:23
Quote: "When you click on an ad, it is supposed to open in the same window, not a new one. Therefore when you click on an ad in the RADAR demo, it will expand from it's little place in the corner to fill the screen. You can then choose to close the add and return to the game or to open it in your web browser."

I tried it when I played your demo. It's good, although it confused me at first. My method for getting around this problem is to monitor the url of the web container. I ignore *.devink.co.uk and the google address, but if any other address appears in the web container I hide it and launch an external browser. This gets around an additional "feature" whereby Flash ads already open up in an external browser, which I can ignore.

basjak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 23:47
thanks baxslash, I did read about your membership website before but I was waiting to finish my first game before I get back to it.
however, I would still be trying to get a adverts paying games. I wish TGC can help us connect to them in one way or another. even though it doesn't sounds as reasonable question.
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 23:51
@BatVink
That's quite clever, I didn't think of that. I tried the ads in your game and they worked nicely. It's all semantics really as your method caused the web browser to open in front of the game and so the effect was identical. If fact it was more useful as I could immediately start browsing in my favoured web-browser rather than having to click on another button.

@baxslash
I've attached a zip file with my DBP library which I've added some comments to along with a template for the html page for your website. If you have a look, you'll see that it's mostly the same as you and BatVink posted earlier. As I say, I just added a couple of extra functions.

In case you don't want to download it, here is the DBP library:

and here is the html page

Hope some of that is useful. The functions allow you to have multiple ads around the screen which you can hide and show as in baxslash's first example. The ads are managed by the HandleAds() function that should go somewhere in your main loop. It will "pause" your game when it needs to by running its own main loop but this can cause problems with timer based movement so watch out! Also for people not familiar with BBB GUI, it's worth remembering that positioning ads is the same as positioning BBB GUI Windows and so the position is based on the actual screen resolution; not the virtual one created by DBP. Thus DESKTOP WIDTH() and DESKTOP HEIGHT() can be useful for placing them.

Attachments

basjak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 00:04
thanks lucas. I will take you advice.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 01:06
The HTML metatags in Lucas' script are important. Because you have no other content, the only thing that AdSense can use to work out what is relevant is the metatags. It will of course also use the players's browsing history but you have no control over that aspect; it's better to make some strong suggestions about games in your script.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 10:44
Quote: "I wish TGC can help us connect to them in one way or another. even though it doesn't sounds as reasonable question."

I spoke to Lee about one of the ad components being included in the appup dll TGC made and they didn't have time with AppGameKit (nor did they rule it out), but Lee did send me the C++ code for the appup dll.

I have been playing around with it until a few weeks ago when the ADG website took priority.

The problem is I haven't done an awful lot in C++ even though I use C# at work. I got it compiling using the latest SDK but that's as far as I got.

Quote: "I've attached a zip file with my DBP library which I've added some comments to along with a template for the html page for your website. If you have a look, you'll see that it's mostly the same as you and BatVink posted earlier. As I say, I just added a couple of extra functions."

Thanks Lucas! I'll take a look and appeal to google again when I get a chance.

basjak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 20:07
hello baxslash, can I be greedy and ask you to submit the steps clearly one by one, once you've done all for yourself. Thank you. am glad I have revived this post again.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 20:34
It might be best for someone who has an active Google Adsense account and working code to do that, Lucas maybe?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:39:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:39:53