Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9 ] Test Tubes

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2011 02:57 Edited at: 6th Dec 2011 06:36

It's not fun being a clone. Especially one trapped in an decrepid, underground factory, riddled with puzzles and controlled by an insane scientist. How many clones have been processed through the factory's test chambers before you? No one knows, but will you be the clone that breaks the cycle?

DEMO ===========================================================
Download Levels Training, Chamber01-Chamber08: here

VIDEO ==============================================
Trailer + Tutorial Level

Chamber 03

===============================================================
The game is a weaponless puzzle game inspired by Portal. Puzzles are solved with the use of side effects resulting from drinking energy drinks:

ZAPT - electrifies things,
Coolsters - freezes things/prevents death from fire
JumpAde - increases jump height

My idea is to build up a large number of levels which you will play through in a random order. Each level will be very short (less than 5 mins). I'm restricting the level size to 10x10x10, but if I can I'll be limiting them to 5x5x5. The size restriction is self imposed due to the limitations of the laptop I started this project on, but I also like the challenge.

===============================================================
Media created by the following in addition to the stock FPSC media:
Anayar (gun locker)
Dick Hetherington (soundscape)
Doomster (various segments)
Fenwolf (various items from Ghost Hunt Pack)
Henry Ham (cloning tube,fork-lift)
Kravenwolf (table lamp, shopping trolley)
The Cosmic Prophet (cloning table & machine, arches, trash cans, lights, tables, benches, etc.)
Vent (red generator)
Xplosys (vent)
[If I've missed anyone off the list please let me know]

Developed using FPSC x9.119 own mod.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2011 03:09 Edited at: 7th May 2011 03:44
Here is a collections of training rooms (edited from original post):

[url="http://raptr.com/No_Turn_Right?src=em_forum"][/url]

Attachments

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2011 16:01
Looks good Ched; nice to see something other than a shooter. I assume you're using the latest RPG Mod? Have to follow this one.

-Keith

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2011 20:15 Edited at: 7th May 2011 22:30
cheers Keith,
I'm actually using WASP mod v2. I'm using it mainly for the frame-rate benefits although I may use a few of the other features in later levels.

I'm using RPGmod on another project, but I need to upgrade my system before I can kick that off properly.

Just a short update to include the first test chamber:

Attachments

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2011 04:10
That looks fun... Reminds me of a 2d game on the ipod where you have to get a bar from one side to the other by moving other bars out of the way. But this is 3d, so 3x the challenge This looks great. If you want I can make some entities, textures, or anything really if you need it.

Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2011 09:34
I played both and its a very cool concept and it was very cool and unique. Although I the first level was waaay to short. I hope the full versions will have several tests in one game.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2011 10:14 Edited at: 8th May 2011 10:18
Thanks guys - the feedback is really encouraging!.

@Design Runner - Thanks! I'm currnetly making some energy drink can entities and I'd appreciate some feedback on them. If I send you them - could you let me know what you think? I've only done the mesh so far and I'll be having a go at texturing next week.

@Gorlocks suggestions - Thanks. I agree that chambre 1 is very very short, I want the different sized chambers to set the pace for the game. The first few levels will be very short, introducing the various concepts beyond what you see in the training level. Plus I'm still learning how to design puzzles so as I make more, the levels will probably get longer

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2011 17:34
Quote: "It's not fun being a clone"

Propably what all the Alice clones said when Wesker pressed his reset button.

BUT!
I'm gonna download right now, but visually it looks good, maby some improvement on the lighting, but overall, looks good.

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2011 19:39
Quote: "@Design Runner - Thanks! I'm currnetly making some energy drink can entities and I'd appreciate some feedback on them. If I send you them - could you let me know what you think? I've only done the mesh so far and I'll be having a go at texturing next week."

Sure thing. My email is on the bottom of the posts(but you probably know that already). Need anything else just shoot me one. I may send you a few random pieces of media if I get bored or have extra time.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2011 00:41 Edited at: 9th May 2011 00:42
Second chamber completed - another shorty as I'm still figuring out what work and what doesn't. One more and i'll combine them into a single demo.

Attachments

Dark Frager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2011 18:30
This is a fun little game Ched. Good job.

All alone in my room, haven't been outside since 1992.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 20:37 Edited at: 11th May 2011 20:38
Thanks Dark Fragger.

Just a not to say chamber 3 is now ready.

I'm now going to combine the first four levels into a demo so that i can test how they flow together.

All these chambers are really just introductory parts at the moment, and they also help me learn how to design puzzles.

Attachments

Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2011 03:58
Really awesome! I give you extremely good props because im sick of all the horror and shooter games. This is really unique. I think a lot more games should be fun and unique.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2011 19:31 Edited at: 15th May 2011 19:33
Just an update to say Chamber 04 is now ready and so is the demo containing all the chambers created so far.

C&C welcome as usual.

Attachments

Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2011 20:24
Looks like a cool chamber

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2011 21:54
Alright, I tested and here are my bug findings/advice:
1.Level procession sporadic. I found myself playing a level, then going to another, then going back to that level, and this continued, so the game never ended.
2.Freezing the player every time you display text is rather annoying. I would recommend removing it.
The puzzles are good, but a little too easy. Bring it on!

Sting
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm with Design Runner.

It's a great concept, and I hope you learn alot from the experience. I look forward to playing a more detailed version!

Keep it up!

Want your games to look professional?Website! - Thread!
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2011 08:07
Thanks for the comments guys,

The sporadic level progression was intentional for the moment as I was testing out the "nextlevel=" commands to see what could be done - and yes the game never ends at the moment Eventually I want the level progression to be slightly random, but that'll need something more complicated than what I have at the moment.

I take your point about freezing the player - it was added to prevent the Tutorial from locking up, but I have thought of a better method now.

I also agree that the chambers, so far, are very easy. That's partly because I'm still learning what works and what doesn't in puzzle design and also because these initial chambers will serve as an extended tutorial. The next chambers I'll be working on will be a little more complicated.

Payam
Years of Service
User Offline
Well,well,well...

The idea as an FPSC game is good.
Level designing is so basic and the quality is not good.
Bad using of textures and models made a very bad look.
Lights are the worst part.
If you want I'll re-upload your screens and tell you the problems on them.

Have our guns was a mistake!!!

I am PaYaM
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2011 18:56
oh dear, you can't please them all.

Please let me know where & how you think I could improve the visuals.

I agree with the basic design comment, that is my aim at the moment, complexity will follow.

Payam
Years of Service
User Offline
Here you are:
Sorry for bad quality,I wrote everything on the screens but after saving they become like this
If any part is not readable tell me.

I hope I could help you.

I am PaYaM
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2011 22:55
@Have Our Guns: I am not having half of those issues on my computer. I think it may be a problem on your computers behalf.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2011 23:21
Design Runner,
PaYam is just commenting on my own screenies and some of the issues (silly texture useage, light placement/radius) I agree with and my next chamber should show that - the light mapping oddity I think i've solved and the weird white bits come from converting the bmp,s to jpg,s in GIMP and the default transparancy settings that i keep forgetting to change.
Some of the other comments - i disagree with, but that's just personal preference.

Thanks for commenting PaYam - you have made me think more about my texture and segment choice.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2011 02:16 Edited at: 18th May 2011 02:17
Just thought I'd show my energy drink entities.

I'm struggling with making them FPSC ready - I can get the mesh with the top and bottom parts of the cans in, but the main can texture does not. Any ideas?

Attachments

Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2011 03:42
Email them to me at
Quote: "Gorlock911@live.com"

Make sure to include the .X and the texture file.

Payam
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Thanks for commenting PaYam - you have made me think more about my texture and segment choice."

I am happy that I helped you.

I just watch game trailers a lot.
For example I watched Black Mesa trailer which is about 3 minutes then I talked about good things of it about 40 minutes just by pausing it's trailer each second.
Because of this when I see a screen or trailer of a game I see every problems at one look.
I know my WIP game (GreeD)has some problems but I am working on it, then don't tell me " "

I am PaYaM
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2011 16:23
Sorry I got to post this so late but I received you models and textures and I found your problem. You have 3 textures for one basic model. The reason you can't get them all on there is because you can only have one texture for the model. You'd have to be real advanced to get this stuff down but the program I use (blender) has a scripts that combines all of the textures into one picture. The problem I ran into is that these models I guess were made in Google Sketchup? The models have already been UV mapped and when imported into Blender it does not UV map the object correctly. As you know UV mapping is supposed to unfold and object. This is my major issue right now because blender is a dumbarse when it comes to that because it doesn't Unfold the object correctly.
[
b]ex.[/b] It puts the faces in random order.

I would probably contact Kravenwolf because he is really advanced in Blender and should be able to get this down. I am sorry I was not able to help you get these textures all together. You can also add those other textures all together but it would take a while and could be painstaking. This is some advance shiz. Thanks for letting me take a shot at it though and im sorry I could not succeed. Really wish I could help.

ex. It puts the faces in random order.

tokyomage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2011 18:55 Edited at: 19th May 2011 18:55
Great to see an fps creator game that isnt a shooter! I hope this game gains some popularity, I loved portal and im sure that il love this!

-Toykomage

.....the feel of solitude hurts inside....
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 08:12 Edited at: 8th Jun 2011 21:14
Just a bump to say I've made a new demo with 8 levels. I've changed the way you move between levels and I've also added my custom energy drink cans to all the levels.

Feedback, as usual, would be great.

EDIT: Had to pull the demo because when I re-tested it chamber 7 was unsolveable and the new level progression did not work. Apologies.

EDIT: Corrected demo now available again.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 01:36 Edited at: 28th Sep 2011 01:52
Just a bump to say I've now made a short trailer and a new demo, now with 9 levels, for this.

I've also moved away from WASP mod for the only reason that I intend to enter this game into the DTO Comp.

C&C welcome as usual.

maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 12:16 Edited at: 28th Sep 2011 12:18
Quote: "I've also moved away from WASP mod for the only reason that I intend to enter this game into the DTO Comp. "

so where is the problem? x9,x10 or with any mods, all allowed for defys contest.

Quote: "You may only use FPSC (x9 x10 or modded) to create/submit a game/demo entry. Multi Player games are unable to enter, due to judging requirements.
"

stay with wasp, its a great mod and the magnet/gravity-gun could be very nice for your game, also the armor and force-emitters would fit perfectly into this enviroment and kind of game
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 13:40
There's no technical problem with WASP, but there is a licencing issue concerning the Free version. The Free version of WASP is not licenced for commerical games and the comp rules only allow games with commercial licences to be used. So since WASP Free is only for non-commerical games, I can't use it to enter the competition.

Otherwise I agree, that the additional WASP features would have worked with my theme.

spudnick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 14:16 Edited at: 28th Sep 2011 15:01
Quote: "I'm actually using WASP mod v2. I'm using it mainly for the frame-rate benefits although I may use a few of the other features in later levels."

Why are you using a Mod.
Can't things be done in Normal Fpsc,

As I don't like to use mods as one would have to depend on third party for solutions and fixes if bugs arrise.
Don't get me wrong, Mods are verry good from what i have seen,
But surely with your skill at scripting you could impliment/make such scripts that all standard fpsc users can benifit from,

Even if you sell the scripts that can do the same sort of things
then it would not be moding but upgrading/adding.

Well thats is my opinion. As i spend a lot of time for solutions to aid in things to work in a standard Fpsc install, and therefore othe can beniffit without modding.

Anway back to your game. And i would say that it is looking realy good, and the concept of using just the items that are around to be used as a weapon as such is a verry good idea.

Question, Do any of the enemy characters have weapons, and can they pick up objects and use them to attack you?

I look forward to seing more from the script master

I'am not GOD but i can make you see again by taking my fingers out of your eyes and i can make you walk again by taking your beer away, but if you take my beer you will not walk again
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 15:53
Thanks spudnick,

Although I see your point about support I rate WASP mod very highly and the support from Scene Commander and the rest of the WASP users is very good. As I said the decision to change to Vanilla mod was purely based on the rules of the DTOC.

There is only 1 enemy in the whole game, currently a zombie, but this is just a place-holder while I re-skin a different stock character. This enemy is carrying the only weapon in the game (as shown in the video) and the challenge is to kill them without a weapon. All the items that you pick up in the game are just generic items that you pick-up, throw and climb on, only the energy drink cans do anything special.

I'd be interested to see what people think of the actual game-play, now that I have several levels strung together.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 23:24 Edited at: 28th Sep 2011 23:46
I am a little undecided about the setting.

One thought is: "Now that's thinking outside of the box"
Another thought is: "What a lame excuse to build levels that lack every bit of realism"

I am curious how I will think about it after playing

And here's the download for a Beer Can - should be easy to retexture: http://fps-files.com/download.php?view.97 (sorry Fox, you don't seem to have them )

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Help bugs!
Years of Service
User Offline
this looks awesome

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 20:08 Edited at: 6th Oct 2011 20:11
Cheers guys, any feedback from the demo would be appreciated.

I take your point Storeyteller, there is an element of randomness about the game. I'm trying to link the energy drinks into the mad scienctist story by changing some of the levels.

Here is a screenire of one of my previous levels - I've now added containers that (will) be re-skinned to be cargo containers for the drinks - as will the wooden boxes. Also going to make one of the levels the drink manufacturing facility, but i've not started that yet.

Attachments

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 22:55 Edited at: 6th Oct 2011 22:57
Quote: " I've now added containers that (will) be re-skinned to be cargo containers for the drinks "

Why do all the work yourself? gencheff has allready made these cool models of drink vending machines:http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=181334&b=24

They are available in 3 colours (along with 3 matching fridges) and they are allready included in the Modern Warfare Community Pack

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 00:13
Quote: "Why do all the work yourself?"

Isn't that part of the fun of making a game?

I have that amazing pack, but I want to make the entities more relevant to the energy drinks made for the game. It's not a lot of work, just adjusting Gencheff's textures.

Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 05:58 Edited at: 7th Oct 2011 05:59
Very interesting. I like it

Looking at the pictures, I cannot let my ugly generator sit in the scene like that with it's horrid texture.

So I threw this together (attached), and I encourage you to replace it, if you want I'm sure it'll look much better.

Attachments

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 06:57
Quote: "And here's the download for a Beer Can - should be easy to retexture: http://fps-files.com/download.php?view.97 (sorry Fox, you don't seem to have them )"

Or did I move them to my refrigerator? LOL

We love puzzle games, and wanted to try this one out. After playing through, we have a few things that jumped out at us for your review.

1. The music- it just does not seem to "fit" (although it could just be me at my old age). As I was playing, BlueFox looked over at me and asked what the heck I was watching. I showed her, and she said "it reminds me of either elevator music or that music you hear when you are on hold calling a company".

2. There is a door that has flames in front of it. I did not get any damage when walking through it. Perhaps a hurt zone there- it is fire after all.

3. Your storyline in the first post. Perhaps a way to expand it, or even provide more in-depth when the player is in the game. For example, using huds to give more information on the structure, what company information might be available, anything to give the player more insight to where they are, what they are doing, why they are doing it, etc.

Overall, we enjoyed the concept. We feel you have a good start going and will be watching this closely.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 08:04 Edited at: 7th Oct 2011 08:06
Cheers Vent,

Here's the re-textured model in-game:

Thanks also for the cheeky customisation

Cheers Blue & Black Fox - I agree with al three points and I'll taken them on board before I release my next demo.

Attachments

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 05:54
If you still need the cans, Id be more than happy to create a couple for you

Anyways, this game looks great. Its refreshing to see something unique compared to all the generic SAS and Zombie shooters The lighting and graphics could use a bit of improvement, but great job all in all and good luck.

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 15:51
Cheers for the comments anayar. Thanks for the offer too, but I'm going to stick with my Sketchup cans. Got a few more custom entities and textures to test out in my next demo too. I'm really new to modelling (I'm more of a coder at heart) so I'm using this game as a excuse to practice.

I agree with the lighting - I need to spend some more time moving away from pure white light sources and I need to turn off the global sun light.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 22:04 Edited at: 8th Oct 2011 22:17
I just tried to play it but can't open the door on the right - while the door on the left displays a hud and reacts to enter (btw love that humor!), the door on the right does neither

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 22:26
Ah - good point. for some reason I used a switch for the left-hand door (just to the right of the door) whereas all the other doors in the game are the normal "enter to use" type.

Really sorry for this - I'll change it.

Glad you like the humour.

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 06:21
Quote: "Thanks for the offer too, but I'm going to stick with my Sketchup cans.Got a few more custom entities and textures to test out in my next demo too. I'm really new to modelling (I'm more of a coder at heart) so I'm using this game as a excuse to practice."

No problem mate! Love your spirit! Hope you get everything working well and you learn a mint about modelling int he process

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 21:00 Edited at: 18th Oct 2011 21:02
Update

Got the containers re-textured to reflect the three energy drinks in the game, but decided to go for the stock sci-fi container as I preferred the open door.

Here's a little preview of the cargo storage area.

Attachments

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 21:08 Edited at: 19th Oct 2011 21:09
Here's a preview on my next entity set: the vending machine.

I was happy with JZ's vending machine model, but it's not for commercial use. So; needs must!

This will be the last model I create in Sketchup as I'm beginning to get annoyed with it's limitations. I am properly UV mapping it, but not in Sketchup. I'm using 3DCrafter the was given away with DB Pro recently. Will post pics of the models in game when ready.

Attachments

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2011 00:09
Finally managed to get my vending machine textured and my friend generously created an atmospheric soundtrack for it. So to test the sound scape and entity I recorded a play-through of chamber three:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 10:01:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 10:01:11