Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [DBP][Box2D] Vs! (Worms type turn based battle game)

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2011 18:49 Edited at: 18th Jul 2011 23:05
"Vs" (Versus) is a game I've been working on since I got Diggsey's Box2D plugin and now incorporates much of the functionality from my previous WIP "Ker-Bang!".

DEMO: Alpha V1.0.0

Controls
Menu:
Mouse to select / change characters in the menu ("i" button not working yet)

Game:
Mouse to select weapon (or +/-)
Mouse scroll to zoom in and out
Left / Right keys to move
Space to jump
Return key to fire / select power
Tab key to change target for the Missile

Known issues
Occasional crash "Invalid Handle / ID"
The game just ends once someone has won, no restart at this point.

Aimed at AppUp but struggling to run on my netbook may end up purely PC based. I'll have to see how the optimisation goes.

Screenshot:

There is an early demo on the TGC AppUp Developers Group thread but I'll post a new one here in the near future.

The maps are fully destructable using a range of weapons including Homing Missiles, Grappling hooks and the good old Shotgun! Characters to choose from currently include Pigs, Aliens, Robots and Chickens but many more to come!!

The idea is you can play Aliens "Vs" Cows or whatever you like. Each class will have their own special weapon and eventually there will be (I hope):
-Weapon drops
-Single player story mode
-Multi-Player mode (maybe up to four teams...) including LAN and online
-Level editor (make your own levels!)-50% complete
-Character editor (make your own teams!)

Tell me what you think!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2011 20:25 Edited at: 14th Jul 2011 20:26
Cowbox likes this.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2011 21:53
No pressure, but this is one of the most anticipated games right now

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2011 22:14 Edited at: 21st Jul 2011 17:12
Quote: "Cowbox likes this."

Thanks!

Quote: "No pressure, but this is one of the most anticipated games right now"

I hope so! I'm loving it. It's getting to the stage where I can really enjoy developing it but I am going to have to do some serious optimisation over the next few weeks. First I'll get a 'working' demo version on the test level with the current weapon set, then I'll take it apart and re-build it... like Steve Austin, better, stronger, faster...

EDIT: Demo Alpha V1.0.1 attached here.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 00:11
Here is a quick gameplay video:

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 00:43 Edited at: 15th Jul 2011 00:44
This brings back some great memories... well only because for some reason I always won at Worms; nevermind any other game or sport.

I like the particle effects and the way the debris is animated. Cool job with the weapons and especially the homing missle and grappling hook. Nice fast paced movement, I tend to hate games with slow movement (with the exception of worms, since it would look odd with worms moving around like sonic the hedgehog)

Nice job

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 01:49
@baxslash
Very cool game Grappling hook was one of my favourite weapons in worms, so nice to see it here

I noticed the guns seem to move quite slowly and are controlled by the keyboard. Is this so that you can still aim accurately? If so, it might work better if you make it speed up when you hold down the keys. That way it's quick to aim but you can still be accurate by just tapping the keys.

[b]
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 01:56
You sized up the grenades, very nice! The grenade launcher is my kind of weaon.

I think this will be a hit on AppUp. Good luck with the optimization

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 09:11
Quote: "I noticed the guns seem to move quite slowly and are controlled by the keyboard. Is this so that you can still aim accurately? If so, it might work better if you make it speed up when you hold down the keys. That way it's quick to aim but you can still be accurate by just tapping the keys."

Yeah, FRAPS seemed to slow odd things down. The Box2D movement is done using hitimer() so is pretty consistant. I'll be working on aiming very soon as I'm making everything mouse controllable, including character movement (not sure how yet)

Quote: "You sized up the grenades, very nice! The grenade launcher is my kind of weaon."

Yes, good suggestion.

Quote: "I think this will be a hit on AppUp. Good luck with the optimization"

Thanks, that's going to be the real challenge here...

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 10:56
Heheheh, I never played Worms, but if it's like this, then it will be fun to play. Nice work, baxslash!
Already loving the variaty in weapons. Hope you can get that sniper scope working.
Nice particle interaction with the environment too when you blow things up. Very cool.
Let's hope you can get this to work on netbooks.

Good job!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 11:10
Quote: "Heheheh, I never played Worms, but if it's like this, then it will be fun to play. Nice work, baxslash!"

Look up Worms Armageddon it's great! The initial name for this game which was already in use was "Farmageddon"...

Quote: "Already loving the variaty in weapons. Hope you can get that sniper scope working."

There will be many more weapons. It was part of the fun of Worms, deciding on the right weapon for a given situation.

Quote: "Nice particle interaction with the environment too when you blow things up. Very cool."

All of the grass is in a secondary physics world. I turn statics near the explosion into dynamics and then apply a force relative to their distance from the explosion. Simple really

Quote: "Let's hope you can get this to work on netbooks."

I'm going to work on a massive optimisation after the first demo is posted. I could just add tonnes of weapon and levels but it would just mean more code to optimise.

I'm thinking get lean and stay lean rather than get obese and then try to work the fat off

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 11:44 Edited at: 15th Jul 2011 13:59
I figure I might as well get on with those optimisations and I didn't want people getting bored waiting for a demo so here it is (also in the first post):
Demo Alpha V1.0.0

Controls
Menu:
Mouse to select / change characters in the menu ("i" button not working yet)

Game:
Mouse to select weapon (or +/-)
Mouse scroll to zoom in and out
Left / Right keys to move
Space to jump
Return key to fire / select power
Tab key to change target for the Missile

Known issues
Occasional crash "Invalid Handle / ID"
The game just ends once someone has won, no restart at this point.

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope it helps the bug hunting: that "invalid handle" type of error always came up (for me) when i tossed someone down the hole while using the grappling hook.

Also, froze a couple times without any error messages, music still playing, i just didn't have any control over the game. I guess it may have something to do with the program not letting the next player move until a major physics simulation is ended? It looked like that because the delays between two players move seemed uneven. So sometimes somehow it happens that the program can't recognize if there are no more parts falling or something and never let the game continue...

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~35%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 16:04 Edited at: 15th Jul 2011 16:14
Thanks Quel, that does help. I didn't even think about what might happen in that situation! I'll take a look. EDIT: Fixed (Thanks a lot Quel!)

The main bug that was causing this error is now squashed. It was a simple case of checking / setting the wrong variable when using the shotgun / pistol / sniper rifle.

Quote: "I guess it may have something to do with the program not letting the next player move until a major physics simulation is ended? It looked like that because the delays between two players move seemed uneven. So sometimes somehow it happens that the program can't recognize if there are no more parts falling or something and never let the game continue..."

I have seen an error like that before, there is always a short pause while the game waits for players to stop moving and then a few minor pauses as damage is applied to each damaged player (I'll be adding sound effects here). I'll check my "all_stop()" function again.

I've been optimising and I've found a few bugs that have now been fixed. Also the game is already running a little faster.

Thanks for the bug hunting Quel it's greatly appreciated!!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 18:41
Sorry to double post but I have just been adding 'gesture' based mouse control to everything in the game.

You click and drag to move (up to jump) and click on the weapon to use it. Clicking fires weapons, click and drag to aim or change targets. It works sooo well!!

The game feels much more natural and fun to play using just the mouse (even if I haven't quite got jumping right yet, sometimes you jump when you don't want to but that's just tweaks).

I don't suppose anyone has a touch screen device they could try the new version on? I'll post a demo anyway very soon but I may add a few more weapons etc first. Optimisation has gone very well but I still need to introduce dynamic arrays soon I think... maybe not.

Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 19:14
Hi,
I played for hours Worms 2D !
it's awesome, great job !!!

I do what i do !!!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 19:22
@Captain Ouais, me too! That's why I'm loving this

Thanks

Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 19:48 Edited at: 15th Jul 2011 19:50
This is one of the most interesting DBP games I've seen so far - nice graphics, good working mechanics and of course the old but good gameplay from Worms.

Back when I first got Worms Armageddon for my PS1 I've spent countless hours creating teams and playing with my mates and just couldn't get enough of it.

However, what your game is missing, in my opinion, are the symphatic and funny characters - Worms really worked for me because of the ridiculous worms, which really weren't used in videogames before and they just looked so funny and dorky, while your characters are somehow... missing that "Awesome! Wonder how they got the idea to use these as the players!" factor.

That doesn't make this game itself any less good, but when somebody sees this by accident, they probably forget about it pretty soon, because right now there's just no detail that really sticks in mind - even if it's just something ridiculous like a worm.

But I'm sure that you'll manage to include such details before the release comes.

Good work so far, I'm eager to see more!

-Doomster

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 20:13
Thanks for the feedback Doomster. I was really quite pleased with the characters but I guess I'm seeing it from an unobjective viewpoint. Maybe I need to make the characters even more original to make it stand out.

One point to note is that teams will be editable (you'll be able to draw/import your own images) which should make it more appealing to modders and anyone who wants to blast a team made entirely from photos / sketches of their friends (or enemies)...

I'll take this to heart and think how I can improve the characters somehow.

Glad you like it anyway

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 23:41
The character of the characters did add a lot to Worms. Living very close to the Team 17 developers, I was always at home with the default voices of the Tyke worms.

I have to say, Worms played a big influence on my desire to make games. Yorkshire has been a great place to be in recent years, Game Republic gave me the chance to meet a few influential people. This sounds like a total deviation but here comes the punchline...

I got talking to a guy at a meeting one day, and we ended up talking about Worms. I mentioned Worms 3D and how it came close to being a good port from 2D, but the camera controls let it down. I'm sure I don't need to tell you what it turns out the guy I was talking to was responsible for

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 23:48
(Adding this as post 2 'cos edits don't come through on emails)

One good thing that came from meeting this guy, he recommended the best book I have on Games programming. It's AI Game Programming Wisdom 2 (ISBN 1-58450-289-4). There is a whole chapter on "Group movement, tactics and planning" which includes coordinated behaviour, goal-oriented action planning, and composite tasks, all interesting stuff for a Worms clone.

And if you pick up the book and check chapter 2.9, you'll see how I found out how I made my embarrassing mistake.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 00:51 Edited at: 16th Jul 2011 00:54
Interesting, never played Worms 3D because of the reviews.

BatVink:
Quote: "I'm sure I don't need to tell you what it turns out the guy I was talking to was responsible for "

That's how it is sometimes; although off topic it reminds me of when I was offered dessert by an usher at a wedding, and said "no thanks, its bad for your teeth", after this point I turned to the 7ft guy, who was smiling but there wasn't any teeth in sight.

Back to the topic, one other thing i liked was in Worms 2 (the last one I played), where you could configure the weapons; just for the fun of it, me and my friends used to make the weapons extremely powerful; othertimes we disabled certain weapons to alter the gameplay. It was my favourite feature in Worms 2. I prefered the level editing in the original Worms, you could do your own thing in a bitmap editor rather than being limited to the supplied level themes and music.

Doomster
Quote: "However, what your game is missing, in my opinion, are the symphatic and funny characters"

I quite like the characters, I actually laughed my head off when I saw the video the first time; the aliens look so emotionless even when they get blown up, I think it is funny; but I guess this is my dodgey humour.

Some voiceovers would certainly enhance it; being able to import photos is a good idea for personalization.

I had a little trouble jumping on the sign; the character tended to slip off of it when I tried to turn around. Needs a little delay before moving when you press the arrow key to change direction.

Perhaps it could do with something that sets it more asside from Worms, to make it more original. This is just me throwing in some random ideas; it could be more distinct with somekind of game mechanic from another genre blended into this one; or perhaps the level could be affected by gravity so that if you blow up something underneath a platform, the platforms and players on top fall down.

Anyway, enough with the chat, I gotta continue working on my projects; keep up the good work.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 11:44
Thanks Chris, I was actually thinking of making the weapons configurable in the same way as the characters so you could put your own weapon image and sound in IE make your own holy hand-grenade.

I have been playing with the idea of adding physics based weapons such as black holes, maybe it would be cool to think about 'joint' based weapons etc...

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 14:03
Quote: "maybe it would be cool to think about 'joint' based weapons"

{thinks} Trebuchet, best Physics-based weapon on the planet. How about strategically placed static weapons that can be operated once you've reached them. Perhaps even a neutral weapon that either side can use - then you have unique features not seen in Worms.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 15:39 Edited at: 16th Jul 2011 15:44
Quote: "Trebuchet, best Physics-based weapon on the planet. How about strategically placed static weapons that can be operated once you've reached them. Perhaps even a neutral weapon that either side can use - then you have unique features not seen in Worms."

Great idea! I saw a trebuchet at Warwick Castle, they fired a huge fireball around 300 yds

Static weapons were used in "Hogs of War" a similar game in concept to Worms 3D. I think it could work really well!

Thanks for the idea Batvink!

EDIT: Awesome idea to add to this, vehicles! A tank / helicopter / whatever gets dropped in a random location and you can drive it around and fire its weapons!!

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Interesting, never played Worms 3D because of the reviews."

A little off topic, but worms 3D was amazing, I thought the camera was fine I much prefer it to the 2D ones and is my favorite in all of the worms games. It NEVER gets boring.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 20:55
Here's another short video of the new gesture based control system in action. Not really obvious but everything is being controlled by the mouse here. Soon I'll have automatic zooming for the camera working better too which will be 'action' based.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2011 00:01
Nice shot at 00:28!

Quote: "Soon I'll have automatic zooming for the camera working better too which will be 'action' based."

Will there be a keyboard equivalent? I think all gestures should have a keyboard equivalent because the mouse isn't the strongest point on a netbook. But I do love the gestures and that is very clever Baxslash

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2011 01:24
Quote: "Will there be a keyboard equivalent?"

Yes there will be keyboard controls but I want it to be really easy and natural to use the mouse / touchscreen.

My 6 year old son had a go today and picked up the (mouse) controls in a few minutes which was what I was hoping for

I started work on a tank too...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2011 02:36
Quote: "Yes there will be keyboard controls but I want it to be really easy and natural to use the mouse / touchscreen."

I can understand that.

Quote: "My 6 year old son had a go today and picked up the (mouse) controls in a few minutes which was what I was hoping for"

This is a good sign for user-friendliness.

Quote: "I started work on a tank too..."

I bet thats going to be good. Will the tank have its own health or will the player always be vulnerable whilst in the tank and so can be attacked/killed while driving the tank?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2011 08:31
Quote: "Will the tank have its own health or will the player always be vulnerable whilst in the tank and so can be attacked/killed while driving the tank?"

It will have its own health and the player will not be affected until it has been destroyed ...but if you're still inside when it is destroyed you'll take a big hit.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2011 14:25
Quote: "It will have its own health and the player will not be affected until it has been destroyed ...but if you're still inside when it is destroyed you'll take a big hit."

I see, so first in first serve. You'll have to give each race its own anti-artillary or something

I look forward to seeing this evolve.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2011 23:37 Edited at: 17th Jul 2011 23:37
Tanks! Nearly ready to drive...

Attachments

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2011 00:35
And that was a quick evolution! Very nice

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2011 01:02
Quote: "And that was a quick evolution! Very nice"

Thanks! I have movement working now.

Next:
Make it possible to enter / exit the vehicle easily.
Get weapons working.
Add them to the level editor.

They drive in a really bouncy / quirky fun way. It works really nicely. Once I have weapons working I'll post another video. Maybe a demo!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2011 10:29
Quote: "Once I have weapons working I'll post another video. Maybe a demo!"

I'll be keeping an eye out for that!

Will you be adding other settings like urban, farm, underwater?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2011 11:10
Quote: "Will you be adding other settings like urban, farm, underwater?"

Different terrain types will be available soon including destructable solid objects such as 'cast' concrete blocks that can be gradually destroyed but start off looking solid rather than the 'bitty' land masses that I'm currently using (which will also remain).

I'm not planning on underwater but there may be some moon / space levels...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2011 23:05
Here's another video showing the tank in action, I had to make the wheels bigger but it looks great I think. There are problems if the tank gets flipped but I'm working on that...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2011 07:21
I can't wait to test out that tank!

Quote: "There are problems if the tank gets flipped but I'm working on that..."

I have a suggestion. Maybe you could make it like Halo, when a vehicle has been flipped the user has to get out and flip it the right way up to use it again.

Quote: "I'm not planning on underwater but there may be some moon / space levels..."

I'm looking forward to seeing those.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2011 13:11 Edited at: 19th Jul 2011 13:11
Hahahaa, nice vid, baxslash! Ow man, that guy underneath the tank must really have a headache! Heehhehehheh. Cool stuff, dude!

I like the progress, keep it coming.

Cheers

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2011 17:38
The tank is just superb, nicely implemented!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2011 17:42 Edited at: 19th Jul 2011 19:28
Thanks Batvink! I'm still ironing out the kinks but I'm nearly ready to release a new Demo...

EDIT: Multiple tanks now working. Currently up to four tanks (only two designs so far):

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2011 18:47 Edited at: 20th Jul 2011 18:48
Just thought it was time to try out iPhone resolution (AGK ordered) with the new zoom controls to see how it all looks (I'm happy):

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2011 18:49 Edited at: 20th Jul 2011 18:51
Close up view:

Attachments

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 00:22 Edited at: 21st Jul 2011 00:23
Hehe , this is really good. I had to watch the tank video 3 times because it made me laugh so much; it's going to be even more fun playing it.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 00:28
Quote: "Hehe , this is really good. I had to watch the tank video 3 times because it made me laugh so much; it's going to be even more fun playing it."

I'm glad you think so! The new demo with tanks is nearly ready but I keep finding bugs!!!

I would like to add some silly stuff too before the demo is ready but I'm on my holidays from Saturday so I won't have time...

Maybe the demo will have to wait a week, sorry if that's the case.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 17:13
I've updated the Demo in the first post to V1.0.1, you can now test quite a few new (although mostly not obvious) features including:
Tanks!
Homing missiles!
Sniper rifles with laser scope!
Gesture based control. Everything is controllable using the mouse. Some things may not be obvious like clicking on the weapon image to unholster it but I will do some tutorials eventually. Basically try clicking or dragging if something doesn't happen. Another example is click & drag to choose targets for the homing missiles...
New camera system including clickable zoom controls

The keyboard controls are still available if you get stuck! Please let me know how you get on!!

I'm off on holiday in around 36 hours so have fun and I'll check your messages when I get back.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2011 00:37 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2011 00:38
I decided to finish two more teams before I went away:

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 19:50 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2011 19:51
Added Rope-bridges! Just need to make them destroyable by explosions and add it to the level editor. It all fits neatly into a single function though so it shouldn't be hard to add a little routine in the editor that calls this function:- build_bridge(startx,starty,endx,endy)

PS. Sorry for the double post...

Attachments

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 20:53
Heheheh, this is starting to get very nice, baxslash! Its amusing to see the environment getting blown up and watch how the debri falls down. Nice!
I managed to get a tank flipped over too.
The controls are smooth, except that the players in between the trees at the top left cant jump over the trees. And, they cant use the grappling gun to swing from one place to another either.
Other than that, its superb, with lots of variety in weapons, and also great music.
Love to see more of this.

Cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 21:20:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 21:20:26