Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Looking for da converter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 17:22
Hey folks! I'm recently getting good results working in different engines than good ol' fpsc. But well...I have a huge problem:

My entire model collection is in .x format. These are 5 years of collecting and creating on my harddrive... converting these 1 by 1 is an impossible task for me. So I was wondering if anyone could link me to a model converter that can

A) convert multiple models. I just need to drag them in it or point it to a folder and it converts all of them.

B) Supports at least 3ds and obj format. Or even better: Collada and FBX files.

Is there anything out there? I would even pay a small price for it.

-Wolf

I make serious coffee - so strong it wakes up the neighbors.
http://serygalacaffeine.deviantart.com/
Twitter:@Serygala
Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 18:20 Edited at: 21st Aug 2011 18:21
Deep Exploration is the cream of the crop for this kind of stuff. I bought a 3 year license with them because I ended up relying on it for work at the time, clients often wanted models in various formats and it was easy to just convert them with this.
If it's not out of your price range I would highly recommend it. It's not really just about the amount of formats it supports, it's mainly to do with that I never had any problems with any conversions. Models went in and out exactly the same, which is a rare with a lot of model converters.

During my c++/directX fiddling I noticed that it came included with a command line based .x converter, I never used it so I don't know what the deal is with it but it might be worth checking it out.

Also never used quick3D and it doesn't mention anything about batch conversion but it can't hurt to give it a try, it's also a hell of a lot cheaper than Deep Exploration.

I'm also sure that with the right libraries it wouldn't be too hard to create a quick batch conversion program, maybe someone on here has already done something already?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 10:52:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 10:52:46