Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Profanity on the boards

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 03:37
More than half of the software sold by TGC is 18+, Most of the FPSC model packs are 18+, sure a lot more stuff is 18+ around here. So my question is, why are so many posts edited by Mods because they contain Profanity? Should the forums not have a 13+ restricted sign up?

Basically, shouldn't we be able to speak our minds without being in fear of being banned for using the words we chose?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 03:51 Edited at: 9th Oct 2011 03:51
I can understand your plight, I mean TGC is a place where people relax and when people relax they speak freely and it would be comfortable to do so.

The forums, however, are inclusive of anybody who wishes to program or develop software using TGC products, including minors. I signed up to the forum when I was 15...not that my parents would have cared if I visited forums with people swearing like a sailor. But people of all walks of life enter here and I think what mods (and TGC) like is a level of respect amongst its members and as a result can appear rather restricted. And actually a lot of folk seem to keep managing to give away the fact they're under the age of 18.

However, given this is a forum and it's all written, reading over what you've said is doable and you can spot some swears. A 'preview post' feature might be of benefit, but I already suggested that in the relevant suggestions thread. I think the forum has a swear filter, but it isn't perfect, however, you ought to know if what words you've chosen are unacceptable.

I think the important thing, as with any forum is to know what the rules are, whilst they're down to the mods' discretion, but even then you can learn from your own mistakes. Banning is usually a last resort when somebody continually repeats offenses.

At least that's my take me ol' china.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 03:58 Edited at: 10th Oct 2011 02:13
To be fair, we can already get away with quite alot... I know that I have yet to be reprimanded for <MOD EDIT>, but then maybe they're only considered swearing in the UK?

I very rarely genuinely swear in real life anyway, too much and it takes the fun out of it. It's much funnier if used precisely, and spareingly. For an example of how to swear in a funny way, see this clip: <MOD EDIT>.

<MOD EDIT> Consider yourself reprimanded.

INH Edit: Oooh, I've been punished Blimey, that's a blast from the past. I feel all 2009-ey.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 04:02
I usually resort from swearing, unless I am utterly wasted and have thrown all respect out of the window. I would however like to see a more relaxed atmosphere here, instead of everyone who is basically speaking their mind (typing their mind) being noob slapped / banned for it.

To be honest, you can't buy any thing online until you are at least 16, as you can't legally get a debit card until then (I think?). So would need a parent or guardian to buy the goods. So in all honesty, you should need written consent from a parent / guardian to get on the forums, and if you lie about it, its your own fault for what you read on the forums.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 04:03
I don't know, I guess I look at it in a different light. While it would be nice to be able to speak (post) completely freely, what I think is acceptable may not be acceptable to others. I think profane expletives can have a place and use in everyday speech, especially when they enhance meaning or provide emphasis and even humor. Others are more strict and may find my free language to be offensive. I'll refrain from using it because I respect people, and not because I'm afraid to be slapped or banned. As for freely speaking my mind, I'm diverse and intelligent enough to do it within those self-imposed restrictions.

Brian.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 04:05
Why can't you speak your mind without using profanity? Can you not choose different words.

I will continue to edit posts which contain profanity. A 3 day noob slap is not a ban. It's an inconvenience at best, and one which perhaps will make people think twice about using profanity next time.

I'm not offended by swearing, but it's not for here.

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
I dunno... the [mod]no[/mod] edits are kind of cute in a way... xD
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 04:17 Edited at: 9th Oct 2011 04:17
I only swear on these forums when I know the mods aren't looking

[edit]

GOSH DARNIT!

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 04:31
I liked it better when you had my av and sig it meant I could be offensive on the forum and blame Neuro Fuzzy.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 04:44
I don't tend to swear on the forums, but it would feel more relaxed if you could, without people going mental and mods punishing you. I understand the current rules and always try to abide by them.

Oh yeah, by the way, I'm currently becoming more drunk and only started this thread because I was drunk

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 04:58
Quote: "Oh yeah, by the way, I'm currently becoming more drunk and only started this thread because I was drunk"

I thought the original post might have been due to immaturity, but I gave you the benefit of doubt . Now you've left no doubt.

Mr. X

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 05:45 Edited at: 9th Oct 2011 05:46
Quote: "Oh yeah, by the way, I'm currently becoming more drunk and only started this thread because I was drunk"

Quote: "I thought the original post might have been due to immaturity, but I gave you the benefit of doubt . Now you've left no doubt"

Lol!

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 06:20
Quote: "More than half of the software sold by TGC is 18+, Most of the FPSC model packs are 18+, sure a lot more stuff is 18+ around here. So my question is, why are so many posts edited by Mods because they contain Profanity? Should the forums not have a 13+ restricted sign up?

Basically, shouldn't we be able to speak our minds without being in fear of being banned for using the words we chose?
"

On this forum we are pretty much allowed to say whatever we want. We just have to watch how we say it. Look, I really prefer a "clean" language on the forums but I do also tend to swear.

The rule is here so we don't get a lot of new kids that walz in here and use street or "ghetto" language and annoy everyone.
With this profanity forum rule we dont get any 13 year olds that pretend to be Samuel L. Jackson...and it should stay that way.

Matter is energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively Theres no such thing as death,life is only a dream,and were the imagination of ourselves.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 06:40 Edited at: 9th Oct 2011 06:41

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 06:56
"immaturity", NEVER!

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 07:14
Eh, it's not that someone will get offended or anything (unless it's insulting profanity aimed at them) it's just that a lot of people would rather read clean language rather than a curse riddled mess.

http://awolthehunted.blogspot.com/
For the latest news on my FPS in development, check out my blog!
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 11:57
Forums is a public place where you discuss issues and share your opinion. And just like any other public places and meetings (whatever) you just don't swear, or do you? There are a lot of better and clever ways to express yourself without swearing. But to be honest with you, I'm not really sure this is a real problem, or is it?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 13:37
@BlackFox NICE ONE!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 15:06
Just flicked through the posts so sorry if someone has already said this.

Conveying tone within a post is hard enough as it is, now imagine the amount of flame wars that could errupt if you were allowed to use profanity. I see people draw the wrong tone out of posts all of the time. I know the smileys help but not everyone uses them.

Another problem is that if parents see it TGC could get a few complaints so it's better to be safe than sorry.

If you feel you really need to let it loose, just substitute swear words with random, non-offensive objects. I think Quik or CoffeeGrunt or someone else (I can't remember but I'm pretty sure they had an MLP avatar) substituted in the word 'shoe'. It made for quite a laugh (on this end anyway) and no-one got offended.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 15:33
Quote: "I think Quik or CoffeeGrunt or someone else (I can't remember but I'm pretty sure they had an MLP avatar) substituted in the word 'shoe'"

Quik.

I'm on the fence with this, on one hand, TGC is the only forum I frequent that is against swearing. On the other hand, it's also the most relaxed. Trolling is a bare minimum here, is that due to the swear ban? I dunno...

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't swear in real life, I find swearing offensive.

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 15:53
No preference. I don't find swearing inappropriate or anything. Swear words are simply synonyms for other more publicly accepted words (with the exception of few) and for what ever reason people started taking offense to them. What's the difference between saying crap or poop and saying the swearing synonym? I don't know. Of course if you direct any word at someone with the intent of insulting them then it's inappropriate, but there are more uses for swear words then just that.

"So hold your head up high and know. It's not the end of the road"
Switch Game Engine
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I very rarely say crap, or poop either. If I was going to say "That looks crap." It would be for something that is ripping people off for their money, so it would be used to help people out. But I don't really use any offensive words. You are mostly supposed to use helpful opinions, and I don't find any useful swear words really.

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 16:17 Edited at: 9th Oct 2011 16:18
Quote: "You are mostly supposed to use helpful opinions"

The reason I use swear words is because people find them offensive. If someone finds a word very offensive and when that word is said then it shows a new level of emotion either for positive or negative. Anyway, this forum is good as-is so no reason to change it

Switch Game Engine
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 19:05
All I've got to say in this thread is bum! BIG BUM in fact. Deal with it! My profanity knows no limits.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 19:30
I'm the kind of guy that so rarely uses profanity that when I do, people do a double take and come running to see what happened to get me upset to the point of using any kind of profanity. I might add that those occasions are usually due to some kind of emotional overflow and the profanity is like a pressure valve. It's there for security reasons.

In all seriousness, using profanity on forums shows a severe lack of intellect and self control. It also shows an extreme lack of creativity. I mean come on, just because the 'profanity' can be used as a noun, verb, adjective or any other exclamation, does not mean it should be. Where is the fun in using one word for everything?

words like Idiot, Buffoon, Cretin, imbecile, fool, moron, nitwit and about a dozen more are certainly more vigorous and evocative than the more common profanities used. But, these words also make for a good 'classification' for people that do use profanities on forums.

So, I challenge you to refrain from profanities and show a bit more creativity and boost your intellectual standing on these forums. Be nice, Be kind, Be good, Be helpful and Be SMART, or you'll find yourselves "Classified!"

Oh and sorry if I offended anyone with this post.

Cheers, carry on and have fun!

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " I think Quik or CoffeeGrunt or someone else (I can't remember but I'm pretty sure they had an MLP avatar) substituted in the word 'shoe'. It made for quite a laugh (on this end anyway) and no-one got offended."

Is it positive that I remain so unoticed? I'll sometimes use it, but 'tis Quik. The ridiculousness of it is quite funny though

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 20:02
Quote: "All I've got to say in this thread is bum! BIG BUM in fact. Deal with it! My profanity knows no limits."

Woah, that's pretty badbum dude. Totally badbottom.

Support a charitable indie game project!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 20:05
I think bum will be my new cuss word. But only on the forum. You'd have to be a pretty secure dude to use it in public.

Brian.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 20:26
Sorry, bum what?

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 21:19
Quote: "Basically, shouldn't we be able to speak our minds without being in fear of being banned for using the words we chose?"

This is not the place to speak your mind, you can do that on Facebook

On a serious note, this is a family-rated forum. All TGC content that requires a rating has a rating, and you have to enter your birthdate to access it. If you lie about your age, that's your issue. On the forums, everyone has the right to not be offended.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 22:18
Quote: "Woah, that's pretty badbum dude. Totally badbottom."
Quote: "I think bum will be my new cuss word."

Quote: "Sorry, bum what?"

All of you can bum right off.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
You little devils you.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 22:55
bum you

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 22:58
Oh Fallout you're such a bumming bum bottom.

Quote: "On a serious note, this is a family-rated forum. All TGC content that requires a rating has a rating, and you have to enter your birthdate to access it. If you lie about your age, that's your issue. On the forums, everyone has the right to not be offended."

Aye and I agree about this being a family-rated forum and I think becuase of the range of people we get (in age too) that a 'family friendly' approach is good. If you were to rate the forums, it would be PG-13. People that young do join these forums.

But the trouble is regardless of what you do there's going to be somebody out there who'd find it offensive.

For example, somebody who's VERY passionate about free speech would find such an approach to be offensive. Also, somebody who doesn't like people being contradictive might find my post to be offensive. It's a cruel world.

old_School
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 23:04 Edited at: 9th Oct 2011 23:05
In business you want to avoid "slang" which is considered profanity. The forums are also a place for "businesses" and hobbest to discuss things in a business like evironment. This basicly means a giant board meeting. I don't think Ive ever herd slang used in any business meeting Ive attended over the years nor do I think it would be accepted. So the fact of the matter is the forums are to discuss business related topics and request business related support. Business includes but not limited to TGC products, programing, game design, game concept, art and much more. When you get down to it though, this is all just business related topics to discuss on these forums. Which in return relates back to TGC and their products.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 23:05
I dont mind saying shoes..

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 23:15 Edited at: 9th Oct 2011 23:27
@Seppuku
Quote: "It's a 'bum' world. "

Corrected for you

EDIT

I agree with Old_School

EDIT

Funny while reading back on this forum I am watching
Quote: "Stephen Fry's Fry's Planet Word

3. Uses and Abuses
"

Epic Funny

EDIT

They relate Swear Words to Human Nature / Animal Nature in regards to expression of anger instead of scratching and biting as babies we evolve into using... swear words... this is what they said not me...

EDIT

Also related urm swear words to pain relief... interesting...

EDIT

They found you can withstand pain for 5 times longer while swearing versus normal word use... swear words release certain reactions from the body... something like that... just go watch the video

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 01:30
In reality, I swear like a sailor in everyday conversation... if I ever speak to you with clearly enunciated words and 0% profanity, chances are high that I am very upset about something (typically the person I'm speaking to).

Don't ask me how that trend ever came about, but that's just the way it is with me now. This is the only place where I keep profanity at 0% all of the time.

~Plystire

A rose is only a rose until it is held and cherished -- then it becomes a treasure.
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 01:40 Edited at: 10th Oct 2011 01:40
Quote: "In reality, I swear like a sailor in everyday conversation... if I ever speak to you with clearly enunciated words and 0% profanity, chances are high that I am very upset about something (typically the person I'm speaking to).

Don't ask me how that trend ever came about, but that's just the way it is with me now. This is the only place where I keep profanity at 0% all of the time. "

Don't worry, you aren't the only one

Switch Game Engine
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 01:58 Edited at: 10th Oct 2011 03:45
Quote: "This basicly means a giant board meeting. I don't think Ive ever herd slang used in any business meeting Ive attended over the years nor do I think it would be accepted."

I feel the exact opposite. The TGC forums isn't a giant board meeting; it's a community of people. A board meeting implies a much more serious and structured tone, a professional approach to discourse and people sat at their computers wearing a suit and tie.

People take away from being too 'professional' here, without trying to be offensive or grammar Nazi-like in anyway, but in a professional environment you'd be expected to communicate professionally, so you'd proofread what you've written, you'd place your apostrophes in the right place and you'd spell words correctly.

The environment here is completely different to that. If we can understand what you've written who gives a bum about the apostrophe? Or whether 'herd' is a grouping* of a specific animal. I sure as hell don't. Most people use the forums as a means to share their personal projects and ideas and seek help and advice for things game-creation related, but also use it to wind down - perhaps during a programming break.

At least this is my view, I'd personally find the idea of a board meeting to be stale and rather unexciting and not somewhere I'd voluntarily spend my free time.

*Edited because the error in my own spelling would be considered inappropriate.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 02:10
Quote: "Or whether 'herd' is referred to a groping of a specific animal."

I very much hope there will be no animal groping going on on this board

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 02:37 Edited at: 10th Oct 2011 02:40
Quote: "Oh Fallout you're such a bumming bum bottom."

edit:
ROFLMBO!
/edit
that is the best insult i've heard in a long time. That really made my day.

I grew up in a small country town in Victoria Australia. The everyday dialect down there would horrify non swearing types.

I don't swear so much these days because I've worked in a hotel for a long time now and have had to tone it down and speak politely to people.
thats found its way into pretty much every aspect of my life now. I have no problem with swearing, though I guess I do take people more seriously when they don't swear.
when every thing they say is littered with F's and C's I just assume they're a drunk bogan and speak to them with a corresponding level of intelligence.

I like the lack of swearing here, it's kinda like southparks original impact on me when I first saw it. It was a cartoon and they were clearly swearing but it was bleeped which made it kind of funnier than the real words.

since southpark has descended into full blown profanity I don't find it interesting anymore, its just gross.

i'll finish with some bum singing
"bumbumbum bum bum bum bumbumbum bum bum bumbumbum bum"[b]

Sometimes I like to use words out of contents
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 02:45
@Kezzla: You're a shoe.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@Kezzla: You're a shoe."

+1

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 03:17
@Quik: shoe yourself and your fancy pants stance

Sometimes I like to use words out of contents
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 03:23
I need pants, it would seem I never have pants, my friends keep telling me to put pants on!
Weird...
But i tell them: SHOES!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 03:24
Quote: "@Quik: shoe yourself and your fancy pants stance "

Quote: "Sometimes I like to use words out of contents"

I guess this is one of those times And is it supposed to be "context"?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 03:26
Quote: "And is it supposed to be "context"? "

That must be another one of those times.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:09:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:09:32