Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] Why are team posts not allowed?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 00:03 Edited at: 15th Dec 2011 00:06
Why?

Why aren't team requests allowed?

EPIC HELP! EPIC PWNAGE

www.Carnageproductions.webs.com
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 00:12
Team requests are allowed but must adhere to a set of guidelines.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 00:25
Reputation also helps out. Get involved with other community projects. There are two known going on atm in the DB board and Wip board.

Become an active member, earn a badge or two and get people to recognize that you have the ability to start and complete projects. Then when your ready to create that ultimate team, go for it.

Slayer267
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 06:28
make that 3

EPIC HELP! EPIC PWNAGE

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 14:34
Aaand make that 2 again

You need to structure your team request and make it look engaging, otherwise no one will buy it... I'm not saying I'm the gold standard, but I've successfully started a project on the WIP board and it's currently being lead by 2 "managers". Maybe you should check that out and reconsider how you do yours. You have made progress on your game, you just need to present it better.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=188447&b=8

TheComet

old_School
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow when did we start allowing team requests?
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 19:41
They've always been allowed as long as they had some serious substance and were actually making progress. People just never seemed to stick to that.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Its the;

"PPL I've got this grat idea!11111! its about a guy with a gun shooting pppl and zomkbies and its going to be amazing. I need people to do the code, model, market it , level design and enviroment. Ill be direct it all and say whats right an wrong an when youv got it good nuff ill test it"

It's the, *ahem* (clears the horrible taste from writing like that)
It's the requests like that, that get canned. Start your project off, show dedication after you have a viable project, then ask for some help. Work from there and build the team up slowly, clearly define roles and what's needed/expected. It takes a while to get people to work together smoothly so throwing everyone into a mess wont help. Also give them a stake in the project, not the your name will be in the cred's.

Slayer267
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 20:20
Damn... Screw this, the rules are way too strict!

EPIC HELP! EPIC PWNAGE

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 20:38
Quote: "Damn... Screw this, the rules are way too strict!"

not at all, just preventing spammy people..

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 20:59 Edited at: 15th Dec 2011 21:00
Quote: "Damn... Screw this, the rules are way too strict!"

An that's the reason there. If your not willing to put the effort in to get the basic outline of your project going, why would people want to help you?

The rules weed out things like this to put it to a point.

Slayer267
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 21:54
Honestly I don't see which rule I broke. Anyone care to explain?

EPIC HELP! EPIC PWNAGE

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 22:50
You didn't break any rules, you just didn't fulfill all of the guidelines.

TheComet

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 22:50
Well, like TheComet said, your first post didn't have the greatest structure it could have had. It should have resembled the thread he linked to. Remember, people take team requests seriously and so the first post should reflect that as that is the first thing they see.

Also, like King Moonracer said, increase your reputation on the forums. People are far less likely to engage in a team request with someone who they don't know and haven't seen constructively posting around the forums a lot.

There is also a small "Please Read" at the bottom of the team requests page. It might be worth reading that as well.

Slayer267
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 22:54
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh >.<

EPIC HELP! EPIC PWNAGE

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 22:58
Quote: "Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh >.<"

with that attitude you wouldnt manage to get a team together even if you actually did follow the guidelines...

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
Slayer267
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 23:23
Idk man... Look, I've been having a really stressful week. So I'll see you all monday...

EPIC HELP! EPIC PWNAGE

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 23:29
@Slayer267: Sorry if my post came on a bit harshly, it wasn't meant to. Just trying to point you in the right direction.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Your team request was hilarious.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2011 02:30
Quote: ""PPL I've got this grat idea!11111! its about a guy with a gun shooting pppl and zomkbies and its going to be amazing. I need people to do the code, model, market it , level design and enviroment. Ill be direct it all and say whats right an wrong an when youv got it good nuff ill test it""

I totes want to be a part of this projekt Laz. I can't code, modelm market, level or enviro design but I can totes make up a cool webpage on freewebs and do, like, a way cool boxart with ms paint.

Slayer, no one is trying to rain on your parade but your team request in no way, shape or form met the requirements linked earlier in this thread. No one wants to start working on a project which might not go anywhere. If you have started and made a wip you might even get people interested enough to contact you theselves with offers of help.

I know David Gervais has offered people his incredible artistic talent when he's seen projects that have intrigued him. I'm sure there are others on here who have done it also but I don't know about it. This is a very generous community with people always willing to help others, provided they can see some progress.

old_School
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "with that attitude you wouldnt manage to get a team together even if you actually did follow the guidelines..."

I have to say the above statement is a bit extreme and rude. Everyone is on different skill levels and professional levels of experience. I don’t find any humor in picking on the inexperienced members of these boards and I don’t think most of the comments above similar to this could be considered constructive or helpful. Just my observation.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2011 06:20
Quote: "I have to say the above statement is a bit extreme and rude. Everyone is on different skill levels and professional levels of experience. I don’t find any humor in picking on the inexperienced members of these boards and I don’t think most of the comments above similar to this could be considered constructive or helpful. Just my observation. "

True. However, just consider the source and let it be at that. No point feeding, if you catch my meaning.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2011 09:22
The mods don't enforce these rules and guidelines because we get some sort of thrill by exercising our "power", we do it to keep the forums tidy.
The way you have conducted yourself in this forum kind of shows me that the decision to lock your thread was correct.

If you are truly passionate about your project and you want to see it through to the end, then keep at it. People will pop along and offer their help if they find interest.

There are people willing to help you out on this forum, there is even a thread about it:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=190364&b=24&p=0 (Top of the list being the one who locked your thread )

I'm going to lock this now, as I don't think anything more constructive can be said.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2011 12:14
I'd like to add that this forum once had a team request section. It was added to filter team requests into their own section instead of being posted in WIP or geek culture. That section was basically a laughing stock, with most threads being derpy requests, trolling, flame wars, insults. Practically every single team request was redundant... I don't think a single project was completed from that section.

Anyway, we have the standpoint we have on team requests based on experience, we know how they go. We are super-strict with TR's and frankly the forum is much neater because of it.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:22:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:22:50