Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Entities invisible until up close

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there,
Currently using 1.19.003.
Noticed today in building test levels that wall items like standard ww2 wall decor switches are invisible until walking close to them.
They function right, but no not appear until close by, and disappear when walking away at the same distance.

Tried adjusting dynamic/static lights to make sure not same old shader issues in earlier versions.

Using GTX430 FERMI with no fps or speed issues and all shaders look nice.

Please advise.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
This is because objects are now culled to increase framerate in line with many modern engines. You can change the cull range and type of culling using the follow:

cullmode=X - 0=Legacy culling, 1=Legacy+dynamic entity cull based on entity size- default, x=1
and system calculated cull range
cullrange=X - when cullmode=1 sets the range the entity will be culled at, overriding system
defaults
hide - hides the current entity
show - shows the current entity
cullmod=x - where x is the multiplier for the new culling - x=default 400, while entity size
dependant 100=approximately 1 segment
cullevenifimmobile=x - allows the current immobile entity to be affected by the cull system, off by
default.
cds1234
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Scene,

Thanks for the answer.
I've been reading up on the cull mode, state, global, etc.
I know about cull and understand the concept, but haven't found any use of commands that changes or fixes the state.
I tested at v1.18 as well and same issue.

I was able to fix the issue with one item- gold, from ww2, by changing state to immobile. I guess undoing any distance variable fixed distance drawing.

Weapon grenade is a good example of how cull is described to work right. After reasonable distance it fades out.
With the error, including switchb wall decor ww2, it simply flashes on or off, and any entity or global cull change does not change effect. I noticed two switches very similar to each other, I believe "d" and "g", one works the other disappears. No information difference between the two except the mesh "x" is unique. If changing to the other's mesh, the problem stops. This shouldn't change anything if it were a cull issue.
It isn't a shader or non-shader, lightmapping issue either, and is not dependent on static or dynamic light, 1.18 or 1.19.
I upgraded to 'official' .009 but still issue.
Not graphic card specific either- happens on Quadro FX1500, 3400, GT430FERMI, and integrated amd chipset.
Books (non-weapon) The Scary Thinker have same issue, but regular melee weapons are fine.
Health items remain drawn always w no culling.
So, why some switches fine and others not?
Why immobile fix one item and not another?
Also, texture alternative versus a single command doesn't make a difference.
I thought maybe needed to be png?
I changed from dd2 to tga to png in images and fpe's and started fresh with bin and dbo.
Nothing fixes this.

Anything else to fix issue?

If it were fixable by cull- where is the command placed?
Do I create a cull command in fpi to go in the object's main? I see there are test fpi commands with cull on, 400, 1000 etc. and I have tried them specific to entity and also the global on I changed parameters to test- nothing helps.
Would love to actually work on building the game instead of fixing disappearing items!
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
You can override the engine culling by changing the cullrange in the entities appear script.

Immobile objects appear as they are not automatically culled, to take doors and windows into account.
Sting
Years of Service
User Offline
Culling = Best thing for FPSC's engine since EA (not sliced bread).

// EOF

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:02:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:02:39