Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Alpha Project styled objective marker - are there any others out there?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 10:11
I have played the demo for the Alpha Project and early in on the game I noticed a very cool blue rotating arrow guiding the player where to go. I reckon this would be a great feature. I tried to search on the forums but couldn't really come up with anything. So then I was wondering if anyone has a similar item available that others on the forums and I could use it.

Thanks
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 16:53 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2012 16:58
its easy to do. use a glas-entity and alter the texture with an equal alpha, then put the entity into the game and enlighten it directly with a lightsource and use following as the appearscript:

:state=0:coloff,spinrate=4,state=1

done.

but watch out, too many alpha-channeled entities bring down your fps.

if you are not familar with gimp/photoshop/paint etc. and dont know about alphachannels, tell me what you wanna get displayed, i do it, its fun and easy. just tell me shape (circle/rectangle), colours and what to display.

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 06:58
I am familiar enough with paint.net, but I'm not quite sure how to get equal alpha, and when I tried to mess about with the textures of windows I got no change. I was correctly referring to the right file and all, and I have made changes to textures before so I'm not quite sure here. If its not too much to ask, could you make an light blue arrow pointing downwards. Much like the player start marker, but blue. Its no worries for me to set that script as the entities main. Thanks

I'm inspired by my own wise quotes, thank you.
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 10:23 Edited at: 5th Jul 2012 15:45
i will do a pack for this thread today evening. hold on until tomorrow.

edit: bluearrow.dds attached as alternative texture. hope its ok, entity-pack with this comes tomorrow (wrong machine atm).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 13:27
That's fantastic, I can work around the scale of the entity. Another thing though, I wanted the arrow to disappear as the player got close so I assigned this to the main of the arrow
. I have set the destroy part of the arrow to fade, but it doesnt fade when I get near. I've got to go so I thought I'd just leave this post here quickly.

I'm inspired by my own wise quotes, thank you.
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 15:07 Edited at: 6th Jul 2012 15:12
yes, set scale = 100 (percentage) inside a copy of the used fpe, very easy to alter. you now see why i use the stock-glass, its shape is defined with the alpha, not the model itself.

try to change state in your script, may help (add ",state=2" after destroy-action). some entities tend to keep appeared for a random amount of time before "blinking" out with this script (maybe alphachannel, maybe 2d-x-file, maybe transparency that interferes). look at the windows-destroy-script and look how its written, delete decal and sound and use a copy of this.

so you got it how to setup? then i can cancel the pack (its really not that hard to build, isnt it?) because i dont had time yesterday.

Lewis
VBOTB Developer '10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 20:15
Here guys, Hope they help you.

Navpoint, floating + spinning

Navpoint, just floating

Navpoint, Just spinning

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2012 09:53 Edited at: 5th Aug 2012 11:18
Post from the big guns, sweet. Thanks, this will really help to point the player in the right direction.

"I'm inspired by my own wise quotes, thank you." - Burger, 6/7/12

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:52:13
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:52:13