Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Tutorial: Run TESTgame in High Resolution (Image heavy)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2012 13:41 Edited at: 26th Dec 2012 13:45
Hi all,

I repeadetly read that it`s not possibly to run the Test game in higher resolutions than 1024*768. However, this is not true, in fact it`s very easy to change the resolution for testgame, I have been using higher test resolutions for many years now. You can even have a default set to your desktop resolution automatically, which should be the native resolution of your LED / TFT panel anyway.

This is very handsome when testing your own self-textured models or retexturings, because otherwise you really would have to build the game in order to find out how good the job of yours really is, as some texture glitches can`t be seen in the lowRes game.

1. Step

Edit the Gamedebug section of your setup.ini to look similar to this:

Note that I have put a resolution of 1920*1200.
My usual developement machine has 1680*1050, my test latop 1600*900 and the presentation Panel I use for press visits
runs in 1920*1200, so the last one is my max.
Aspectratio=1 provides a more "realistic" viewfield.

Note: Flag=4 should activate AA, I had the feeling it worked, not sure anymore, however it doesnt disturb, so lets keep it there.

2. Step:

Save your file, but keep the notepad open. RUN FPSC and load your level. The screen should look like that:

Note that the editor with the opened setup.ini is next to the FPSC icon in your taskbar.
Taskswitching is the key to success here, and I`ll show you how:

3., 4. and 5. Step:

These have to be done quickly, actually VERY quickly. So read first through before trying it for yourself.
Before going on, lay the fingers of your left hand so on the right end of your keyboard that you are prepared to hit [CTRL]+[S] (for "save")

Step 3 - hit the "Test Game Button"

Step 4 - move your mouse pointer as fast as possible to the editor task with your setup.ini and klick it:

Step 5 - as soon the Editor with the ini file is open, immediately and fast-repeating hit [CTRL]+[S].

Basically you save your settings every few dozen milliseconds, and with some unholy Voodoo the engine will accept it as along as this happens throughout the "Initializing test game" step.
Depending on the speed of your machine, you have to keep hitting between 2-3 seconds and 20 seconds. When FPSC passes the "initialize test game" step, you are good.

Step 6 - switch back to FPSC and press OK

Step 7 - Enjoy your test game in full resolution:

Note that the game automatically runs in 1680*1050 with correct aspect ratio, no distortions.
It will run with the same setup.ini on 1600*900 on my laptop and 1920*1200 on my presentation panel.

If you have even higher resolutions in use, you have to enter the highest used one into the setup.ini.

Ignore the low FPS in the picture, I tinkered aroudn with my drivers before.
Resolution will not affect the framerate as long as you don`t have a VERY bad GPU.

Have fun playing your testgames highres!

Come to where the madness is:http://www.indiedb.com/games/into-the-dark
MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2012 20:48
Cool, it works, but, changes back when you close fpsc and re open it. also changes back when you close the map you on and open a new one.

mk83 Productions
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2012 12:51 Edited at: 27th Dec 2012 13:48
Quote: "Cool, it works, but, changes back when you close fpsc and re open it."

You simply let the setup.ini open in editor.

Basically you open the setup.ini in Editor always first, before working FPSC, save always when testing a game and after exiting FPSC. So you will have it always at hand with your custom settings inside.

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2012 00:17
ok

mk83 Productions
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2012 02:06
Awesome hint Ertlov, thank you !

BTW i've got a little issue after i'm doing that, my hud numerics are incorrectly displayed, as you can see

I don't have any problem when the ratio and display resolution aren't changed, the numerics displays correctly and appears well separated to each other.

How i'm suppose to fix that ?
My display resolution is 1920x1080 ( 16:9 )

Excuse my grammar errors, I'm French.
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 15:05
Honestly, the last time I didn`t use a custom Hud based on GFX was 2007 ^^

But I will look into it!

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 13:47
Awesome tip, thanks Ertlov!

I will definitely try this when i get home.

@RelMayer

What pistol is that you are using? Is it from a model pack? It looks very nice.

Unfamillia

Anubis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 14:45
Same here, great tip. I use it alot

I tried the same with Buildsetup.ini
And it seems to work there too (at least for a 1 level build), so your build game is (for example 1920x1080, Flag=4 etc..) by default after built, no need to change anything in setup.ini of the build game.
Although, im not 100% sure about this. It seems to work for me. At 1024x768 my radar is much bigger onscreen than with 1920x1080.. And my radar is small after i build a game like this. Same as if i changed setup.ini (build game dir,1920x1080, etc.) by hand.

I read somewhere Lee fixed the numeric display as well on higher resolutions (message Relmayer above). Except... for armour i noticed.. Armon=1 doesnt show well numerically, while the rest seems fixed.

What i dont understand is your (Ertlov) settings for Lightmapping.. 1024x85... if i go above 1024x18 my lightmapping hits the memcap while building..
Is it that i started this map in 1.19 and continued the same map with 1.20.10.. or too much entities (around 3000), or... i dont know, any initial thoughts about this?

Thnks&Grts
Anubis

-+- There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't -+-

[Chipset:X58 CPU:i7.950 GPU:HD5970 RAM:12GB DDR3 FPSC:1.20.10]
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2013 13:32 Edited at: 16th Feb 2013 13:33
Hi Unfamilia, no, the pistol is from Gamebanana, a friend of mine rigged it for my personnal use

Excuse my grammar errors, I'm French.
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2013 13:41
@RelMayer

Ah, ok. I really like it. I can model my own weapons, but, i really like the shape and texture on that one.

Unfamillia

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 18:52:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 18:52:51