Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Camera Obscura - my game on Steam Greenlight

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2013 03:20 Edited at: 25th Feb 2013 19:00
Hey all,

Hopefully some of you remember me, I haven't been as active around here recently .

I wanted to plug a game I've been working on for almost two years with a small team of students from UC Irvine. We started it at a game jam through the Video Game Development club, and we liked the mechanic so much we just kept working on it.

Camera Obscura is a puzzle-platformer that revolves around a unique mechanic that allows the player to activate a camera flash so bright that it creates "afterimages" of all visible platforms. These platforms are solid enough to walk on, and they can be moved around for a short time, mimicking the player's movements. This ability allows players to cross wide chasms, reach high platforms, and otherwise alter the shape of the environment to accomplish the ultimate goal - reaching the top of the mysterious Tower. Check out this gameplay footage to get a better idea: Youtube.

We put up the game's info on Greenlight this week, and it seems like we're making really good progress, and feedback has been very positive. We're pretty excited about it, and I hope you can support us!
Steam Greenlight | Camera Obscura

NEW: Download the demo!
Demo Installer (recommended)
Demo ZIP

Here's a screenshot (see the Greenlight page for more):

The game also has a full, custom soundtrack by the amazing Trenton Ng, and we've shared a few of the tracks here:
Soundtrack

Let me know if you have any feedback or questions about the game!

Thanks all!
- Brian

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2013 04:13
Woah! That looks really cool. You have my vote!

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2013 20:41
You mean like Snapshot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xv8873czQi0

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2013 21:08
Some commenters have brought up Snapshot. While both games revolve around using a camera to capture and move objects in the game, the two play very differently. I've never played Snapshot, but my understanding from the trailer is that you can use your camera to capture a stack of objects from the level. You can capture any object on the screen with the mouse and place it anywhere in a similar fashion.

In Camera Obscura, when you flash your camera it creates a temporary copy of all the solid platforms in your vicinity. For a few seconds, when you move around, the flashed tiles mimic your movements, then they freeze. It's a tough thing to see in videos, hopefully we'll be able to put out the demo soon. The idea of moving parts of the level around is similar, but the actual mechanic is very different.

@Fuzz - Thanks a lot . Every vote counts!

http://brianmacintosh.com
"'Who's that primitive entity accessing sliding collision data from my bridge?!', the troll roared." - TheComet
ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2013 07:18
Quote: "You mean like Snapshot?"

No, not at all like snapshot.

Good job Brian, good to see this out of the UC Irvine game dev room and into Steam.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2013 07:11
Got a bit of an update here - we've just released a playable demo. Check out the links in the first post!

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2013 07:14 Edited at: 25th Feb 2013 07:14
There are rude background seams on the image at OP.

*** Merry Chuckmas! ***
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2013 00:22
You're right - I pointed that out to our artist. He has a lot of work to do still .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 17:13:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 17:13:41