Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Alt video texture damage (AI character)- Free download-

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2013 01:24 Edited at: 1st Feb 2013 01:48
:

I don't trip over...I do random gravity checks.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Excellent work as always Rolfy.

Glad to see the progress you've made with this one and thanks for the contribution.

SC
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The scripts used are just my own way of making this work and I am sure some of the good scripters out there could tighten things up better than me."

Why? When it works, it works. Nothing else matters

Great work and thanks for this

Corno_1

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2013 14:02 Edited at: 28th Jan 2013 14:06
@Scene Commander, thanks for all your help with this one, your delayed ragdoll destroy was a great addition to the source

@Corno_1, although I get by, scripting's not my strength, I just know it can be simpler, that's your department. Less lines means less stress

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2013 15:22 Edited at: 28th Jan 2013 15:26
Here are less lines/stress
Test it before, maybe I make a mistake!

Hope everthing works like you want

Attachments

Login to view attachments
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2013 23:19 Edited at: 28th Jan 2013 23:45
You used this in your scripts....
:shotdamage=1:usevideotexture=2
:healthless=5:usevideotexture=2

This is the format (simply leaving the state out), I was trying to remember for an always condition/action within script....duh!, haven't tried it out yet but thats exactly what I believe would work to cut down on script lines (and work)..thanks

I always try to keep scripting clean and to a minimum, when you got a lot going on, it keeps cpu use low as possible and helps fps in the long run.
Its fine when testing individual scripts but different for someone trying to build an entire game.

I only altered four scripts to go with this
(passive,cautious,cover10,shootclose10) but anyone wanting to alter the others to use it should use these lines.

Like I said....play around with it

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 00:46
Nice work Rolfy. Cathy is working on a project similar with robot characters and animated textures. Nice to see another use the feature.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 01:11
Cool beans! Thanks.

Brian.

!retupmoc eht ni deppart m'I !pleH

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 02:57
Quote: "Cool beans! Thanks."

What? You got beans? How did you get that? I downloaded this and all we got was this AI Robot. Tried to program him and he ended up making a mess in Cathy's kitchen, destroyed a batch of blueberry muffins, and poured my coffee down the sink.

I'll trade you- the robot for the beans.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 03:31
No. They're magic beans. I traded rolfy my cow.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 03:38
Quote: "No. They're magic beans. I traded rolfy my cow."

What? We offered to trade a cow for some feathers to stuff a pillow. He said he did not need a cow. Now he trades the beans for a cow? What, Canadian cows not good enough?

That's fine. Cathy says no blueberry muffins or other baking then if we can't get beans.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 03:50
Hey, I've seen your three legged cow. I don't blame him.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 04:09 Edited at: 29th Jan 2013 04:14
Yeah last time I got a cow from those two I had to buy a trolley wheel for the poor wee soul, still it gets by and can run like the wind.

Quote: "What? You got beans? How did you get that? I downloaded this and all we got was this AI Robot. Tried to program him and he ended up making a mess in Cathy's kitchen, destroyed a batch of blueberry muffins, and poured my coffee down the sink."

Worked like a charm then

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 04:13
That's fine. When the pine beetle come to infest the clubhouse, I know where we'll be sending them.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 04:16 Edited at: 29th Jan 2013 04:18
Since I gonna be moving into the clubhouse, ya can send em wherever ya like....so there

Wait a minute.... ya not meant to take over our own threads....move along.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 13:37
BlackFox, rolfy and xplosys - The Three Stooges, or The Three Amigos? It's hard to tell sometimes lol

Once again, thanks for the chuckles!

(On Topic) Nice work rolfy, thanks

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 14:41 Edited at: 29th Jan 2013 14:45
@Rolfy - Thanks for the download. I am sure this will come in very handy.

@Corno1 - Thanks for the scripts

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2013 04:56 Edited at: 30th Jan 2013 04:59
For those who already downloaded this I just noticed an error in the delay destroy script.

One comma too many.
:state=0:state=1,delaydestroy=5000,(,)suspend,coloff,ragdoll

You can change the timer to higher value to remove ragdoll enabled characters from the level after a longer period, thought I should mention this.

Fixed this for download those who have it can simply edit to work properly

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Its really not my style to get pissed off at these sort of things but I am in a foul mood today

When you get 300 views in a thread with a free download and only six people take the time to say thanks, three of them being your own buddies, then ya know your wasting your time.

There will be no more free stuff from me from here on in....so y'all can stick that in yer pipe and smoke it

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2013 00:59 Edited at: 1st Feb 2013 01:14
Quote: "When you get 300 views in a thread with a free download and only six people take the time to say thanks, three of them being your own buddies, then ya know your wasting your time."

No, not wasting your time. Some do appreciate the work put out by others. The lack of appreciation- we call it ignorance. And you are not the only artist here that knows this or has had this happen. We've seen Willow and Cosmic go through it too.

Quote: "There will be no more free stuff from me from here on in....so y'all can stick that in yer pipe and smoke it"

Even though I don't have a pipe (I do have cigars though), we're more than happy to pay you for your media. For all the effort and work you do provide, it is well worth it.

If we need extra money, the Donk said he will turn over his piggybank.

**EDIT** Cathy just got home and read your post. She said a few comments that I will not say here, but she did say that she will send you some homemade baking to cheer you up.

Akanto10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2013 06:38
Thanks, rofly! I didn't think I'd ever be using the AI character, but now I think he's one of my favorites.

Thanks,
Akanto

raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2013 00:30
Quote: "When you get 300 views in a thread with a free download and only six people take the time to say thanks, three of them being your own buddies, then ya know your wasting your time.

There will be no more free stuff from me from here on in....so y'all can stick that in yer pipe and smoke it"

Hopefully not man! Your stuff is awesome. I wouldn't take it too personally. I haven't had a chance to download it yet but I have read the thread a few times (inadvertently adding to your frustration I guess ). If I use my phone when I'm out to see threads it counts as a read but I can't actually post anything. Or sometimes I'm just reading other peoples comments to see if it's something I want to download or if it's working. A view doesn't always mean a download so I hope that simple number doesn't discourage your contributions to the community. Especially since 6 or 7 seven of them were me and I haven't even downloaded it yet...

This does look sweet and could be of use when maybe an enemies shield gets taken out like in Halo or something.
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2013 22:02
I got the chance to download it but didn't get around to commenting. I really like these new video textures, I'll have to incorporate them into my game at some stage. They're quite creative, and I'll have to learn how to most effectively use them.

As well as that I may have looked a this thread more than once, perhaps to read then later deciding to download.

Quote: " A view doesn't always mean a download so I hope that simple number doesn't discourage your contributions to the community"

I agree, but it does seem a little bad.

Anyway, just my two cents.

"I'm inspired by my own wise quotes, thank you." - Burger, 6/7/12
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2013 12:00
It's a shame as I didn't get my chance to see what this is like. But, I'm pretty sure it was good. It's just that I don't roam these forums too often and when I do, I usually go on the WiP or the Showcase section to check those out. But, I can understand where you come from. This happens not only with models, but with actual games. WiP screenshots get way too much attention, but put something up for people to download and you'll lucky if they notice and leave a comment on the showcase section. It's weird, because you'd think that it'd be the other way around.

Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2013 20:06 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2013 22:30
Quote: "And you are not the only artist here that knows this or has had this happen. We've seen Willow and Cosmic go through it too."

Boy is that the truth! Diana, and I love all your stuff Rolfy. And I know just how you feel. I just gave away nearly 400 models in my starship kit, and the comments never got off the first page. The last community pack I started, only 4 members pithed in.

I know it's hard not to feel discouraged, and it does really make you feel like throwing in the towel. I've felt like that more than once lately. I've given away "literally" Thousands of models since I first joined this community. And the lack of posts either to say "Hey this is great, Thanks", or "Hey this sucks, but thanks anyway", makes you feel like your just being taken for granted, wasting your time, and no one gives a damn.

I don't know what's happend around here. It wasn't this bad a year or two ago.

Haven't checked this out yet bro, as we are still using 1.18 (soon to change), So I can't tell you much, But if it's anything like all your other stuff it's bound to be awesome.

Hope you choose to carry on, but would'nt blame you a bit if you chose not to, as I am at that very crossroad myself. Regardless, All my best to you Jim.

Back from the Wasteland.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2013 23:04
I just caught this thread, and feel for rolfy. I can see his point.
Your work was always meticulous and precise. I'll miss it.
best
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
What most don't get is why this is such an issue. I am an artist, I was an artist long before I joined this community. I have worked in the Arts for most of my adult life and have a broad range of skills right across the board that have nothing to do with what you see around here, I don't have to do this to get my kicks.

Anyone creative will tell you it's not about making money, though we all have to support ourselves, and sometimes the work we do to earn a living can be tedious and extremely boring, even in the Arts, I am one of those lucky ones at a certain level where I can design and plan my own projects.

Here's a heads up for those that don't get it, artists need to feel that people enjoy and appreciate their work, its not ego, its a strong desire to create and share that makes them feel they are contributing to something bigger than themselves. Its what makes us feel like we belong to a community, if the community shows no interest in this then we can always go somewhere else.

I know that the ratio of views does not correspond to downloads but still reckon there's a good number who don't take the the time to type two words. Often I will say thanks to folk who offer their work for free around here even though I don't download, if anyone around here thinks I need free media they are very mistaken but I still think its important to offer encouragement, after all, what else can you offer to someone who gives out freely.

I miss the old days when there was a sense of community around here and a whole bunch of folks all willing to share media,skills and ideas with each other. I know that there are fewer around here now than used to be but still a fair amount that ought to know better. If you are into creating games then you are an artist and as such should know better than to grab and run from a fellow artist.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 00:28
Quote: "If you are into creating games then you are an artist and as such should know better than to grab and run from a fellow artist."

That's a very good point, and I admit (to my shame), one that just hadn't occured to me before. So, from one artist to another, THANKS

Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 00:39 Edited at: 4th Feb 2013 00:49
rolfy: Well said, and spot on.

Back from the Wasteland.
Wicked Blood Gaming
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 06:41 Edited at: 4th Feb 2013 06:47
I tend to lurk more than post, but I also rarely download too. But, time to change that. I've had two accounts on here so far and I have looked into everyone on here before I could even figure out how to even use fpsc lol.

That was years ago, but I really see what you mean Rolfy. I guess I should just throw in my two cents and say, I've always admired you. I use to grab and run, but let's be honest here, everyone DID. Younger and younger people come to see these things like FPSC everyday and start to want to become a game designer.

But to do so you need media, and where do we go when we need that? Here. But I've gotten old enough to realize something we all do when we grow up. I appreciate you. And your work.

Look at it this way, We all hate cops in our teenage years. We take what we need from them when we really need it but we hate them because they make us play by the rules. Like when people get pissed that we have to pay for your skyboxes or someone elses modelpack. But as we get older, we realize you put time and effort into these things and you deserve the money.

As the cops make us play by the rules because they're there for a reason. Eventually everyone will learn how much artists like you mean to us.

That's when the kids stop pirating and actually have a job to pay for these models. And stop by and say, hey...thanks. So this is me now saying Rolfy,

Hey. Thanks. For everything you have done for the community. Never stop doing what you're doing. Also, you have my full support on any paid products you make. You have my word, and I will be willing to buy anything from such an artist. Have a good night Rolfy, you've earned it.
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 13:52
Rolfy,

I think you hit the nail on the head with the description of what artists are after. I myself gave away a few models (Not even worth mentioning in comparison to you and comsic) But, i watched the downloads and views increase (I uploaded it to 4shared which tells you how many times its downloaded) and i must of had about 3 people actually leave a comment.

I haven't downloaded the media in this thread, but, i do feel guilty as i haven't commented my self until now.

I have kept a keen eye on the thread though as its a very interesting feature and you have utilised it very well. Well enough to inspire me to try my own hand at it.

Please don't be down heartened by the lack of thanks. Try to be happy knowing that people are taking it and using it.

What i think might be an idea would be to put a password on the .rar file so that they have to contact you for it. Then , if they don't say anything afterwards, you know who the non commenters are! haha.

Unfamillia

BlueFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 23:44 Edited at: 5th Feb 2013 00:25
Quote: " Diana, and I love all your stuff Rolfy. And I know just how you feel. I just gave away nearly 400 models in my starship kit, and the comments never got off the first page. The last community pack I started, only 4 members pithed in.

Hope you choose to carry on, but would'nt blame you a bit if you chose not to, as I am at that very crossroad myself."

Quote: "Anyone creative will tell you it's not about making money, though we all have to support ourselves

Here's a heads up for those that don't get it, artists need to feel that people enjoy and appreciate their work, its not ego, its a strong desire to create and share that makes them feel they are contributing to something bigger than themselves. Its what makes us feel like we belong to a community, if the community shows no interest in this then we can always go somewhere else.

I miss the old days when there was a sense of community around here and a whole bunch of folks all willing to share media,skills and ideas with each other. I know that there are fewer around here now than used to be but still a fair amount that ought to know better. If you are into creating games then you are an artist and as such should know better than to grab and run from a fellow artist."

I will add my perspective on these two points. I can understand (having been taught how to make media from people like Cosmic and Willow) how much time is taken to make something- from the model portion to the texture work, right up to importing and testing in the engine. Then there is Rolfy who spends time making fabulous prefab environments and I can only imagine the amount of time he had spent on them. I had my husband email him to ask about a desert prefab (we even offered to pay whatever price) and he did so for me- no charge. We also asked about a skybox alteration (again offering to pay) which he also refused. He has earned our respect for his actions. There are artists like Disturbing13 and Rosstradamus that also have done a lot for the community and myself particularly. They never ask for anything in return, but they have our gratitude as well.

Then there is my friend Willow who spent countless hours making a couple of media packs. She got many *praises* and comments of "I will certainly buy" only to be disappointed when the release actually came. As Rolfy pointed out, it is not about money but some of us do have to make a *small* living sometimes. I was very disappointed for the sudden "lack of interest" that was the opposite of what she was told.

I get the sense that people would rather have "free" media than "to be purchased" media. When we spend countless hours on any pack to be released, we hope that we will at least make a few happy with the work. Now some release free media and even then there is a lack of respect and gratitude. No wonder some of us have packs sitting on our computers waiting to be released and just do not feel like releasing them. I would rather just scrap them and go on to something else, like cross-stitching. At least my husband and kids appreciate my time.

If my opinion and comments appear "sour", then they are. I am disappointed with the actions of a "community" that cannot even take a few seconds to thank someone for their time and effort spent. Many of us have hit the crossroads in situations like this and get frustrated or discouraged. Then we come back and release media only to go through it all over again. I choose to get off the merry-go-round ride and let people make their own media.

- BlueFox
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 23:53
Well said BlueFox.

No more to say on the matter.

Unfamillia

raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 02:51 Edited at: 5th Feb 2013 03:03
Quote: "Here's a heads up for those that don't get it"

Hope my post didn't make you feel that way. It was not my intent. I was just trying to make you feel better. Maybe I should have just posted a smiley instead (I'll try that now) Did it work?

You're correct however. If someone can give you hours of labor on an asset, why can't you post a few words when you download it?
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 03:04 Edited at: 5th Feb 2013 04:27
Quote: "Hope my post didn't make you feel that way. It was not my intent."

Not at all, you didn't even download it, my comments are aimed at those who take the time to download and install but don't seem to have the time to type a couple of words.

@All
There are a few around here that I would give my time to and they are those that actually contribute to this community, not just media but knowledge and skills. Not everyone can do this however but I know who the good people are, good manners cost nothing and its better late than never. I can be very forgiving and don't hold a grudge but if you dont want to thank the artists who give generously of their time for your creation then you deserve the same when you release your game.

As for those who purchase media its me should be thanking them and I do appreciate it.

But free stuff? Heck, I don't even ask for credit a simple 'thanks' is all, it dont need to be a novel.

If you think others will post so you don't have to then read again the first paragraph.

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 05:52
It seems like USA is not the only place that has lost the simple courtesy of manners. We need to go back to some old ways of thinking when simple manners was the rule.

Again thank you for you time, effort, and knowledge.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 15:41 Edited at: 5th Feb 2013 15:43
I think the problem with giving away free media, is that, because people haven't had to pay for it, they don't feel that they owe any kind of gratitude either.

I think it's part of modern, penny-pinching culture, in that we grab whatever freebies we can. "Ooooh freebies, gimme gimme gimme!"

I'm not in anyway trying to suggest people don't give away free media, and I'm most definitely not trying to excuse the lack of manners. I'm simply trying to explain why there is a culture of ingratitude where free media is concerned.

I have been guilty of not saying thanks for things I've downloaded, even though I know I should. But it is all too easy just to 'click-and-run' and move on to the next thread where something is being given away.

It shouldn't have taken someone like rolfy stopping giving away free media, for me to realise the error of my ways. My parents always taught me that manners cost nothing - a lesson I seem to have forgotten.

SOLO DESIGN
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Rolfy,
I was followign this great work of yours, but I cannot see the download of the robot, only the scripts.

Also I thought there were more pages to this instead of 1, what happened?

Great stuff as always though!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 05:20:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 05:20:20