Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / How do I set up a facebook app to work with AGK...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 20:46 Edited at: 5th Feb 2013 20:51
Hello world,

I've been trying, largely without success to get the AppGameKit facebook commands to work.

There seems to be very little in the forums about them, and even less in the AppGameKit documentation, so it's been mostly hit and miss.

My code is fairly straightforward. I should point out here that I am using Tier 1 basic, and Beta 8 (With the correct android player)

And then this in the main loop.

However, when I run the app I just end up with this error...

It's a fairly simple error, but I just can't find any help anywhere for configuring the Facebook app side of things.

When I created the app (Assumption #1 was that I need to create a "Native Android App"), I was presented with a screen similar to this.

The trouble is I have no idea what I'm supposed to put in the Namespace and App domains boxes in the "Basic Info" section, and am completely clueless about the "Native Android App" section

Can anyone give me a prod in the right direction please?

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 20:59
Are you trying to execute through a Player (since you indicated that you have the most recent one) or are you trying to build an Android APK (since you talk about "Native Android App")?

And were are you seeing/getting to that configuration dialog that you are displaying?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 21:05 Edited at: 5th Feb 2013 21:07
I'm using the player, and the configuration is from the Facebook developer page. "Native Android App" is one of the options for the type of App you're creating.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 21:11
Okay.

But where are you creating this app that you get that configuration page?

It doesn't look/sound like something associated with AGK.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 21:19
It's from the Facebook developers page.

In the help files, it says that you need a Facebook App ID in order to use the FacebookSetup(szID) command.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 22:05
Okay, I just reread the help page for the AppGameKit FacebookSetup command.

So, somewhere in Facebook (the site), you are defining an app that is going to communicate with Facebook. Is that right? And how do you get to that page?

I will make some guesses about what some of the fields should be (and hope that someone from TGC will help here):
Basic info -
Display Name: <whatever your app name is, and it shouldn't be AppGameKit Test App>
Namespace: not sure, what does it display when you click on the little question mark?
App Domains: this should be the web domain for your app, this assumes that you will have a web site related to the app

Assuming Native Android App (what other options did they give?) -
Package Name: This is how your app is primarily identified in the AndroidManifest.xml file and it should not be 'com.thegamecreators.agk_player' since that already exists. It should start with 'com.', then have a name specific to you as the publisher (no spaces, avoid special characters, no period within the name), then a period and then the name of your app (same rules as for publisher) and it it is a good idea that it resembles the app name (underscores can be used for spaces). See the 'Android Project and Product Name AND Fix the "Missing Class R" errors:' section (and the one after) on the AGK Wiki Templates page for how and where to change the package name - very important.
Class Name: not sure, but you might actually want to put 'android_player' here, since that is the class that executes things and is the target for both Tier 1 and Tier 2 Android builds
Key Hashes: no clue

I'm giving you my best guesses here.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 22:49 Edited at: 5th Feb 2013 22:57
Quote: "So, somewhere in Facebook (the site), you are defining an app that is going to communicate with Facebook. Is that right?"

Yes, I think that's right. On my Facebook, you get to the page by opening www.facebook.com and clicking on "Create App..." in the Developer section at the bottom of the column on the left.

Quote: "Assuming Native Android App (what other options did they give?)"

The other options are...
Website with Facebook login, App on Facebook, Mobile Web, Native iOS app, and page tab.

Quote: "I'm giving you my best guesses here."

Yeah, I've been guessing at most of this stuff. I'm surprised that there isn't more information available on the forum. I guess not that many people have tried to use the Facebook commands?

Thank you though, I do appreciate you trying to help.

>Edit<

I just found this post (I didn't think to check the iOS board) >Link< in which xGEKKOx shows how to set things up for an iOS app, but unfortunately the options for "Native iOS app" are different to the Android equivalent.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 23:33
Quote: "you get to the page by opening www.facebook.com and clicking on "Create App...""

Well, I just discovered that you need a phone that accepts texting (which mine doesn't, long story).

What does the help pop-up say when you click the question mark next to Namespace?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 23:53 Edited at: 5th Feb 2013 23:53
It says...

"The app namespace is used for defining custom Open Graph actions and objects (e.g., namespace:action) and for the URL for Apps on Facebook (e.g., http://apps.facebook.com/namespace)"

Which wasn't enormously helpful to me.

In the iOS thread I linked in the edit in the post above this one, xGEKKOx uses the display name, only in lowercase and with no spaces.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2013 00:05
That sounds like a good bet. Or the last portion of the package name might work as well.

I'm going to research getting an Android smart phone. Sigh.....

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2013 00:37
Ancient Lady wrote:
Quote: "I'm going to research getting an Android smart phone. Sigh....."

I recently bought a "Samsung Galaxy Note 2 4G" (Model N7105) for myself, a "Samsung Galaxy Note 2" (Model N7100) for my oldest son, and a "Samsung Galaxy XCover" (Model S5690) for my youngest son...

Based on my experiences with these Phones, I would stay away from the XCover model. But - I cannot praise the Galaxy Note 2 versions enough. To keep this short, they are just amazing.

Specs here:
Samsung Galaxy Note 2

And, here are a few good video links featuring the Galaxy Note 2:
Androidizen - Galaxy Note 2 Archives

This might be of some interest too:
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Playlist on Youtube

Happy hunting for your smartphone, AL!

Cheers,
AgentSam

(PS. Pick the Galaxy Note 2).
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2013 13:23
@AgentSam:

Yeah, the Note 2 is ideally the phone I want to upgrade to when my contract runs out (unless the Note 3 is out by then...) I'm currently using a Note 1, which is an amazing phone.

@Ancient Lady:
Ok, I have managed to get all the boxes filled in in the Basic Info section (Whether they are right or not is another thing).

Apparently you also need to enter a URL in the "Website with facebook login" even though I'm making an android app. This will then allow you to enter the App Domain in the Basic Info bit.

As for the rest of the data in the "Native Android App" section, I think I'm going to need to install Cygwin and Eclipse and get them set up properly etc. (Something which I have been dreading doing, and perhaps actively avoiding until I had a finished app ready)

Especially after reading >this< about generating the hash key it needs.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2013 15:46
AgentSam, that is a big phone! How is the sound quality on phone calls? (I have bad ears.)

=PRoF=, a great new post was created with excellent instructions for creating a Tier 1 apk.

And thank you for the link about generating the hash key.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2013 16:18 Edited at: 6th Feb 2013 16:21
Quote: "AgentSam, that is a big phone! How is the sound quality on phone calls? (I have bad ears.)"

Yes, it is quite large... but then again, it's something you get used to really fast. Sometimes when writing messages and using a full-size on-screen keyboard in landscape orientation, I wish it was even larger! (But using a full-size keyboard in portrait mode only takes about 1/5th of the screen area. Though, then you really NEED to use the s-pen, because the keys will be too small for your fingers.)

In all occasions I have had good sound quality - clear and loud. If I remember correctly, I think there was an option somewhere in the settings to boost the incoming sound volume further, but I haven't had a need to try it.

However, when I make phone calls I always instinctively fear that my ear presses on the touchscreen and closes the phonecall or activates some other feature that I didn't want at the time... but so far this hasn't happened. I will have to learn to trust the phone in this respect! When you put the phone near your head during a phone call, it uses a proximity sensor (possibly implemented via the front camera), and disables the touch-screen temporarily.

Cheers,
AgentSam
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2013 17:43
I own the note 1, it's realy awesome if you don't have a problem with the size of it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 13:56:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 13:56:51