Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Facebook integration help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2013 19:14 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2013 19:38
Hi everyone. I'm simply trying to get my app OK'd on Facebook so that I can just us FacebookPostOnMyWall() command. I'm having some issues and just received this from them:

Changes needed
Please address the following feedback from our review team. Once you have made the changes listed below you may resubmit for review.
Notes about your submission:
Please ensure that your banner images do not have white space around the edges.
General:
Your Android app does not appear to have Facebook Login integration. Please either implement Facebook Login or remove this integration as a listed platform in the developer app. You can read more here: http://developers.facebook.com/docs/howtos/androidsdk/3.0/login-with-facebook.

The app doesn't actually have a dialogue to login to Facebook, it simply checks to see if you are logged in before posting. I'm not sure if this is necessary.
I'm not sure what they are talking about with my banners having white space. I'm assuming that the issue is that I uploaded banners to them with as PNG with transparency.

I'm going to try to resubmit today and see how it goes, but I'd appreciate any guidance someone is willing to give that has actually got this all set up and working with Facebook.

Thanks!!

EDIT:
I changed the banners on FB and I've tried to remove the login permission, but I now get this message:
Invalid Submission
Before you can submit your app detail page you must first comply with App Center Guidelines. Please make sure you have specified how your app integrates with Facebook and have met all the requirements. Click here to update your integration.

So if I don't show a login button then I'll get rejected, but if I put a login button in then it'll be useless and I don't want a live app like that. I just want to post to wall... *pulls out remaining 3 hairs*

Check out dFenz on Google Play, Windows, or Mac:
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 16:20
The FacebookPostOnMyWall example requires you to call FacebookLogin first. However if you only want to post to a users wall you could use the direct URL example from this page and use OpenBrowser instead.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 17:47
Paul, would using OpenBrowser with the info suggested on the link you provided work with v1076 as well?

Or does the app need to be built with the facebook sdk for it to work?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 17:48
Yeah I sort of figured FacebookLogin() is a requirement. It looks like if I do want that function to work I will have to put a button in the app for FB share that is always visible (right now it cycles along with some custom ads). I have it disabled because I don't want a live app to have a non-working feature, which it will not fully work until FB approves the app. A bit of a chicken and the egg issue. I wish I could just send a beta to FB for review.

I use the URL wall post method for Windows, but it behaves poorly on Android.
What happens is the user gets a post that shows my game title as the post title (OK), the URL as simply play.google.com (not horrible since it still actually links to the correct URL), and finally the thumbnail for the post is the Play store icon for Ant Smasher... Unfortunately that's a deal breaker.
It is one of the suggested games on my app page. This seems to occur on 3 separate devices.

I'd like to hear from some other devs that have used the FacebookPostOnMyWall() command in a published game to see how they've handled FB.

ACTUALLY
I use a different URL post method than what is described in that link.
I use
http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.naplandgames.dfenz

I just tried out the example on the Facebook Feed Dialogue dev page and after some tinkering I got it to work, but it still requires that my app needs to be approved before it will show the post to anyone but developers.
It does the exact same thing that FacebookPostOnMyWall() does.

After a little research I think I may have figured it out.

This:

Will work if you set your FB app settings like this:

BUT
It currently forces the post to be shared with "Only Me" on your FB wall.

SO
I tried to submit the app with these settings and it says it doesn't meet FB app guidelines because I didn't select how the app integrates with FB. BUT I've selected "Website with FB login". If I don't select that then I can't use the dialogue feed URL post option since FB says I don't "own" the redirect uri.
*falls over*

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 17:53
@Ancient Lady
http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.naplandgames.dfenz
Method will work with OpenBrowser() and should not require anything from the Facebook SDK. It really just opens the web browser (works in windows and mac too). The only issue is that on Android it imprints the wrong thumbnail.

But if you're sharing your website instead of the app store page you might have acceptable results. I'm too picky for that.

I'm going to see what I can dig up throughout the week.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 19:10
Naphier, thank you for all your info.

I am working on the redirect pages for my site, then I'll test and see what happens. And I will post my results.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 19:28
Good luck! I hope you get it to work because I'm stumped. I also haven't tried to do it via iOS yet.

I just noticed that iTrippin has it working fine (post via URL).

xCeptDB! Where are you!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 21:03
I tried the browser method using the string from the Facebook page.

And it worked pretty good. Except, it doesn't bring you back to the original app.

It basically brings up the same dialog box as the AppGameKit bits, but in a browser.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 21:10
Did you use your own app ID?
Did you check the post to see if it posted on your wall and was visible to other users?

I meant to hop back on and mention that iTrippin' does post to my wall, but it is only visible to me unless I log into FB from a PC and change the restriction. There was unfortunately no way to change this with the browser dialogue.

So I'm assuming that iTrippin's app is not approved by FB, but maybe it is and something is off with the post via URL method.

I bet FB has cracked down a bit on allowing apps to post and that's why it's not so simple anymore.
I'm probably going to have to break down and put the button in my game without the app approved for posting and wait for them to approve it.

Thanks for trying it out and posting your results. Once we get this figured out, I'll try to clean up the method for a thorough explanation of how to do this.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 21:37
When using the AppGameKit bits, if you successfully get logged in through an app (on iOS it happens automagically if you have your Facebook stuff set in settings), the information gets stored somewhere at Facebook or on the device.

And when you try to log in, or even check to see if already logged in, you get a Facebook dialog saying "You have already authorized <name of app>." with a cancel and ok button.

Pressing the either button brings up a blank Facebook dialog box with only a cancel button in the dialog header bar.

If you assume that you are already logged in, and try to get the user name, you get a blank string and the FacebookPostOnMyWall command tries to execute, but fails and there are no return codes to let you know that.

So, the AppGameKit Facebook command appears to give you exactly one shot at doing anything and then you cannot do anything.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 21:41
ick!
I didn't see that one happen when I was testing FacebookPostOnMyWall().
Sounds like something AppGameKit needs to address.
Hopefully it can get in the next stable release, but I'm not sure what their cutoff point is for the issues.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 21:51 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2013 22:02
Quote: "Did you use your own app ID?
Did you check the post to see if it posted on your wall and was visible to other users?"

Yes, I used my own app ID and the first time it went through, it did post successfully on my Facebook timeline.

When I posted my first test using someone else's ID, it was definitely visible to others. Several people even commented on it.

I don't know about the one that went through an hour ago with my own ID, I just sent a couple of IMs to people who can see my profile asking if it is visible to them.

EDIT: I just got confirmation that the post is NOT visible to others, even though I have my privacy settings on it set to 'friends'. But, since the app hasn't finished being approved by Facebook, I guess it won't let others see it until it is fully approved. Which means I need to create a bunch of artwork and make sure all the appropriate pages are on my website.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 21:56 Edited at: 24th Apr 2013 04:51
Well that's good news for you, but what the heck did I do wrong?
Would you be so gracious as to post some screenshots of your app's setup in FB? Did it have to go through an approval process with them?
Thanks for helping to hammer this out.
I'd love to be able to include this in my update this weekend!

EDIT:
Just saw your edit. Thanks. Glad I didn't do anything "wrong".
Looks like I will be forced to do the same and just put a big fat FB button in my app. I wonder if xCept knows his doesn't work fully or if he's just waiting for approval.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2013 23:05
Welp... Looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit longer to use this. Behavior is a bit unpredictable.
Sometimes the FacebookLogin call works and I can post, sometimes it doesn't and it tells me my hashkey is wrong... If it does work it seems to always ask me to log in even though I'm constantly logged in to FB on my device. It'll let me log in though and then the post works too.

I'm wondering if this new behavior is due to the FB for Android update that just came through.

I've given up for now. Persistence has got me nowhere!

www.NaplandGames.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:16:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:16:27