Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Hellbound-The depths-Modular cave system WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2013 04:08 Edited at: 27th Apr 2013 01:21
Working on an environmental cave and cavern system.
This system is modular segments which fit together seamlessly whichever rotation is used, to build up your scenes however you want them.
It will also include rock outcrop,stalactite,stalagmite and pillar entity's.

As I have built these up in the modeler I built a cavern scene to render for preview, I have taken this a step further and created a skybox using the modules to give you folks a taste whats to come. You will find this attached at the bottom of this post, its completely usable as a skybox without the cave segments, so feel free to use it in your projects.

I don't trip over...I do random gravity checks.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BlueFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work, Rolfy. We have not purchased your Hellbound Demons yet (although BlackFox has asked me), but when we do this cave will be the perfect setting. And it gives me a place to send him when he gets out of line.

Thank you for this.

- BlueFox
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "And it gives me a place to send him when he gets out of line"

LOL. thanks Bluefox. Mine sends me to the basement

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2013 04:43 Edited at: 27th Apr 2013 01:39
Modular wall sections, each is different but each one will connect together seamlessly with another, so you don't get repetition in your builds.

What you see below is a 3x3 segment size build and I removed some walls so you can see inside it.

These are so far the mid section,floors,walls and outer corners. Any two wall segments facing would create a cave tunnel, added a mid section, and you can repeat the mid section as many times as you like to create caverns as wide as it suits you.

Next step for me just now is to create the inner corner sections.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2013 07:16 Edited at: 26th Apr 2013 07:29
Wow this is fantastic. I hope we have the ability to make platforms so we can navigate from outcrops and ledges across caverns, also ramps, perhaps some twisting so we can traverse upper and lower platforms. Also so larva sections so we can make larva pools as they make good hazards.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2013 07:39 Edited at: 26th Apr 2013 08:16
Thanks Fallen One, all the things you mention are swimming around in my thoughts already, I want to make this user friendly and retain the organic 'feel' it should have, whilst still allowing for complex builds. I know that all sounds very 'highfaluting' but its my target, and I hope to achieve it.
The segments shown above have a 1.5 segment height to allow for inclusion of platforms and ramps with a lava floor from start of concept. Further segment walls will be designed to build higher levels and therefore higher platforms and ledges etc.
This wont be limited to 'Hellish' caves I will do texture versions which could suit coastal sea caves etc as well.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2013 19:26
Great work rolfy, very tempted to get this when finished. Are these single level? Be great to have ramps of sorts to go up / down levels as well as ledges and outcrops (with gaps obviously) around the upper edges.

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Whats shown above is single level, will add mid height wall sections to make it higher.

Quote: "Be great to have ramps of sorts to go up / down levels as well as ledges and outcrops (with gaps obviously) around the upper edges."

Quote: "The segments shown above have a 1.5 segment height to allow for inclusion of platforms and ramps with a lava floor from start of concept. Further segment walls will be designed to build higher levels and therefore higher platforms and ledges etc."

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work as always Rolfy be nice to catch up sometime.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by pledging now :- http://vishnu.chipin.com/vishnu
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2013 01:21
very nice rolf, looks epic !!
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2013 03:00
Wow, nice stuff Rolfy. Been busy working and almost missed this.
Thank you for the skybox. Looks great!

"Modular sections" This kind of reminds me of the project "Dungeon Builder" from Nickydude
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2013 07:01
Super Duper

I'm addicted to programming and coffee!
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2013 13:40
Quote: "The segments shown above have a 1.5 segment height to allow for inclusion of platforms and ramps with a lava floor from start of concept. Further segment walls will be designed to build higher levels and therefore higher platforms and ledges etc."

Oops, missed that.

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2013 20:03
Another one for Cosmic's "must have" list. Can you tell me... will these match up with the parts of your environment pack as well?

Back from the Wasteland.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2013 20:14 Edited at: 28th Apr 2013 20:19
Quote: "Can you tell me... will these match up with the parts of your environment pack as well?"

If you wanted to use the terrains from the environment pack as a floor you could do so, these will work the same as any segments where you could remove or place the floor or wall as you wish. You would place the terrain and then place walls where you want them.
I reckon though that these will be better as you will have far more control in where you want to place floor segments as these will match together whatever the rotation.

If you mean as an external terrain which leads to caves then I will be making entrances, you would simply remove segments from the environment terrain to access it. That way you would have full enemy collision on both terrain and uneven cave floors in your entire level.

Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2013 20:32
Sweet! That's even better. Thanks Jim. I'll try and be as patient as possible until release. heh,heh... Rolfy Rules!!

Back from the Wasteland.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I see you got a new pack in the works yourself I will post my thoughts a little later today after I get a look, just woke up..lol.
If your doing a similar kind of thing I will send you a couple of test segments to look at for me.

Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2013 20:41
Sure thing my brother. I'm always lurking around, and ready to help when I can. And I always love new toys to play with.

Back from the Wasteland.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2013 05:11
Looking great! I'm definitely in for this one. So many uses!

Model pack 66-99 high quality items...cheap!!
"Who loves ya baby!"
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 08:00 Edited at: 25th May 2013 02:21
Back to work on this one. Creating some base rock textures with normal and specular maps and started some shader tweaks.

Screenshots in FPSC.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 13:26 Edited at: 25th May 2013 06:15
I'm so glad you are now back to work on this pack.

This is going to be an awesome pack that will fit right in with the demon pack.

-- The Playground is a Great Place for Happy Feet --
Snake675
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 17:45
@rolfy

Great work as always! Will it come out on TGC store?

Greetings, Snake67

------------------------------------------------------------
i5 2.8 GHz 64bit / 4G ram / W7 home sp1 / geforce gts 250
FPSC 120 Beta 3
Aarchduke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 17:55
Very nice, Rolfy, Great work.

-Duke.

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2013 01:46 Edited at: 25th May 2013 02:05
Thanks guy's. I expect it will be on sale through TGC.

This one wont be out any time soon as I intend to make it as versatile and detailed as possible.

Years of Service
User Offline
Man,

Like i do all days, visit these forums to keep updated about some new FPSC related stuff, and while looking at this post, i said to myself: WOW, this guy really rocks!

I think you trully deserve the title FPSC 3D Master!

Congratulations! And be sure that i will purchase this pack, even if i won`t use it in my game, but i will use it to study and take it as a reference for learning how to create awesome segments for FPSC.

Goldenye 007 N64
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2013 18:36
Fantastic! It looks stunningly natural!

...and I don't see any lighting/shadow artifacts as I get when I work with more "curvy" meshes. Is there any secret to this?

(I attached a screenshot to show you what I mean)

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
Without struggle,no progress and no result.Every breaking of habit produces a change in the machine.

Attachments

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2013 08:10 Edited at: 27th May 2013 09:07
@Wolf,
The screenshot above of caves uses ini settings of

lightmaptexsize=512
lightmapquality=50

So they are pretty standard.

The terrain model you are using is not ideal for lighting it's a twisty devil, it might be one of mine (not sure) if it is, it's part of a set of test terrains I gave out as a bonus with a Skybox pack. That thing would be very difficult to uv unwrap and so I didn't take it to the next step and simply uv mapped it with a box wrap. FPSC likely has a hard time with it, but it will lightmap if done correctly.

When you place a single light in your scene to simulate daylight, most around here go for insane light ranges, I have even seen it recommended to use a range of 3000-5000, which is way beyond the area of the grid space in any direction and even flat surfaces will suffer if not level. The default lightmap attenuation of 16 is ineffective using this kind of distance.

Lights in FPSC are radial only, so when setting lightmap quality I suspect this determines the number of rays cast (as I understand it, I might be wrong). Rays are cast 360 degrees from the light source. The further the rays are cast the further apart they become and quality is lost, so you must increase the texture size and quality aggressively over such large distances.

The screenshots below use four lights with a range of 1000 rather than a huge range single light, its best to use ambient lighting more for outdoor scenes with smaller range lights placed where you really want shadows cast.

The ini settings are

lightmaptexsize=2048
lightmapquality=90

You could also increase the lightmap attenuation a little to soften light/shadow distance and helps hide strong shadows going in wrong direction due to radial lighting, it's a balancing act.

This kind of terrain, if I were to create more of it, would be more modular so it would be easier to properly uv unwrap, making it easier for FPSC to handle when lightmapping it..

Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 17:25
Tasty stuff, great to see that you're still pushing FPSC, even to this day. Pretty elaborate structures and generally a theme that's still lacking around here.

-Doomster

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 18:14
Quote: " great to see that you're still pushing FPSC, even to this day. "

Yes, I'm extremely appreciative as well because it will be awhile before I consider moving on to FPSC-R.

However, I sure wish I could get your large spider to face the player forward rather than backward. If I knew what I could change in the code to make backward facing objects face forward I would fix it and at least put it into RPG Mod. It seems to me, though, that something could be done with the .x file to fix it. I'm not capable of working with models though.

Photo by TRCox
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 18:52 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2013 19:01
Quote: "However, I sure wish I could get your large spider to face the player forward rather than backward."

I'll take a look at them
I figure it must be something to do with the rig.

@Doomster, reckon we are all looking forward to FPSCR where we can expand our ideas, FPSC has been a great foundation to build upon when its come to modeling,scripting etc.
Once those beta's start to roll out is when we will see some great stuff being created by the likes of yourself too, I really look forward to it.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 19:00
Hey thanks Rolfy, I was hoping to get your attention regarding sooner or later.

BTW, the fpe fixnewy doens't work on it. I've tried setting it to zero and actually the spider becomes invisible. Setting it back to 180 it will be visible again. Go figure.

Also, if "pitcrawler" is yours that one does the same thing. These are just too good of characters not to be able to use.

Photo by TRCox
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 19:03 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2013 19:04
Quote: "BTW, the fpe fixnewy doens't work on it. I've tried setting it to zero and actually the spider becomes invisible. Setting it back to 180 it will be visible again. Go figure."

This is why I feel its the rigging.

It would be better ot create an all new 'Pitcrawler' character the old is just not up to standard these days, I did have something related in mind for the Hellbound packs theme along with a new and more creepy Wraith character.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 20:23
Quote: " I did have something related in mind for the Hellbound packs theme along with a new and more creepy Wraith character."

Cool. The spiders would be good within the "Hellbound" theme as well I would think. Maybe an update for them.

Photo by TRCox
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "However, I sure wish I could get your large spider to face the player forward rather than backward."

Rolfy/Flatlander :- I'm not having any issues at all with these models they face perfect for me as you can see from the screenshot.

rolfy did you change them as I am using old beta versions of these?

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.

Attachments

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 22:49 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2013 22:50
I honestly don't remember, if you want to e-mail them over to me it might help with finding the problem, although Flatlander mentions only the large spiders and that looks like medium scale in your screenshot. Thanks bro'.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 23:19 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2013 23:21
Show and tell.

The following image are the medium and large spider before they attack.

Here they are attacking. The large one attacks butt first.

They all worked fine in older versions of FPSC. I am not sure when the large spider got confused though.

Photo by TRCox
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 00:20 Edited at: 4th Jun 2013 00:21
Quote: "Show and tell."

I wouldn't say they didn't work for me if they didn't lol

Here's a picture of the large spider.

@Rolfy I will try and bag them up for you and email them as these are early betas you gave me when testing so not sure if things got changed.

best s4real

Attachments

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 00:43 Edited at: 4th Jun 2013 00:46
Hey Flatlander,

Maybe it's just that one spider. He might be little...... you know?

Is it possible to make the demons wings partially transparent? Can that be done with characters?
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "before they attack."
if I remember off hand they use the movefore= action, this may be the problem as I am sure I saw someone else have same with another model.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 01:10 Edited at: 4th Jun 2013 01:21
Quote: "Is it possible to make the demons wings partially transparent? Can that be done with characters? "

I see where that could be an enhancement, if possible.

Quote: "Maybe it's just that one spider. He might be little...... you know?"

Now, that would be scary.

Quote: "if I remember off hand they use the movefore= action"

The medium spider uses movefore as well and he's straight. I mean he moves forward in the right direction. I'll send you the files for the large spider as well to make sure you are using the one that I have.

Photo by TRCox
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 01:14 Edited at: 4th Jun 2013 01:16
@rolfy :- Not sure thats the problem as mine are using the movefore= and still work fine.

How many of the spiders have the problem ?

Seem nobody noticed my post showing the large spider working ok lol

best s4real

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 01:59
The spiders work properly for us- moving, attacking; they face the proper direction.

Quote: "Seem nobody noticed my post showing the large spider working ok lol "

We noticed. Unfortunately some do not understand the concept of saying "thanks for taking time" when receiving any type of help or info. But thanks s4real for taking time.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 02:05 Edited at: 4th Jun 2013 02:32
Quote: "Is it possible to make the demons wings partially transparent? Can that be done with characters?"
not possible with videotextures for obvious reasons.
The shader textures already have semi transparency in the wings (you may not have noticed) which can be increased by opening the texture e.g. bone_wings1_D2.dds and changing contrast for alpha, will need to do same for _D.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 02:17
Quote: "can be increased by opening the texture e.g. bone_wings1_D2.dds and changing contrast for alpha"

Awesome! I was looking at the demon in your first post and thought it would be nice to see through the wings. Not so much in that shot but with flames in the background it would be cool beans!
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "We noticed. Unfortunately some do not understand the concept of saying "thanks for taking time" when receiving any type of help or info. But thanks s4real for taking time."

Thanks Blackfox

I think I will download the official release of these spiders and see whats the difference from the ones I have as all working fine.

best s4real

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Seem nobody noticed my post showing the large spider working ok lol "
I noticed...But obviously others have problems, its been brought up before

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 02:32
I noticed s4real. It's just that it seems nobody pays any attention to the large spider not working for me properly. Elbow also has this problem. s4real, maybe you can send me your working version?

Just the large spider.

email:

Photo by TRCox
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 02:46 Edited at: 4th Jun 2013 02:47
Quote: "I think I will download the official release of these spiders and see whats the difference from the ones I have as all working fine."

Quote: "I noticed...But obviously others have problems, its been brought up before
"

The problem is you have many users that are not all on the same versions of FPSC. What may be an issue in our version may have been addressed in a newer version, and what may be an issue in the new version may not affect us in the older version. It is a pain at times to fine that "middle medium" where it satisfies all people.

I just find it strange it works for s4real and it works for us (two obvious different versions being used) and others have issues. I am curious to learn what the solution/resolve is.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I did download and check them out a couple of months back and saw the issue myself. Since I no longer have the source files for these I didn't want to start them from scratch all over again, they are after all a free pack and I would rather concentrate on newer media, the rig was custom made to suit these.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 02:54 Edited at: 4th Jun 2013 02:55
Quote: "I did download and check them out a couple of months back and saw the issue myself. Since I no longer have the source files for these I didn't want to start them from scratch all over again, they are after all a free pack and I would rather concentrate on newer media, the rig was custom made to suit these.
"

There must be something in the source(s) that is the reason. I never really put much time into looking at it myself because A) it works for us; and B) anything I post is irrelevant due to using an older source.

Oh well, I shall continue on then and enjoy my muffins.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 01:03:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 01:03:10