Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Team Request: Dream Editor Reveal and Team Request

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2013 04:14 Edited at: 10th Jun 2013 22:12

It tiz so flufffy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dream Editor: Project Details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Complete User Friendly Video Game Development Solution complete with Editor, Scripting Support (Lua + Interperated DBP), Visual Flow Graph (Graphic Programming), and everything else needed to make a game."

Put this here not to break any forum rules as it is a team request. Will have proper thread for actual project.

I have been working on a secret project for a while because I've wanted to show something good instead of a bunch of debugging test, picks of something very incomplete/non-professional.

I am starting a kickstarter to fund the project. I don't want this product to be "Just another editor". It is a complete game development tool.

Now to discuss exactly what the project is!

The Dream Editor is a very ambitious project i've been working on for a long while. The name has changed a lot and the look and features have been growing. I've been prototyping a lot of different ideas for at least 2-3 years now.

It is a full compehensive suite of tools all wrapped up in one editor. I am using DBP, Dark GDK 2.0, Pure-Basic (Possible), C++ (Plugin Development), and much more.

More Info: Dream Editor Thread!

What I'm looking for

Advanced DBP Programmer
Shader Programmer
C++ Programmer
Intermediate Modeler
Advanced Modeler

I am looking for a shader developer who can design some custom shaders. I do want to be able to tweak a lot of attributes like colors, hue, saturation, Bloom/HDR, and other basic full screen adjustments. The issues would be in getting two full screen shaders (same technique I believe evolved used) and getting the two systems (evolves shaders and this shader) working.

I'm looking for a programmer to help me put together this massive editor. DBP programmer or Dark GDK programmer.

I also need a C++ programmer to help work on the plugins I need for the editor.

I need a very good modeler for general assets and an experience modeler who can create characters.

Now on to Team Requests

Before you read. This is not a one time and only one project deal and i'm done, or unfair fake tyrannical company with dictator included. XD I just want anyone who loves game development as much as I do and your time investment is valuable and can be discussed fairly so no worries

Hi, I'm Kevin in case I didn't specify that before. In case anyone asks I'm 23. I've been developing games in DBP for around 6 years. Basically working on tech demos and learning some cool stuff everyday. I'm going to school for computer science and my major will be in software development and for grad school I plan to go for Game Development. I am always driven to push the bounds of what is possible and love new an innovative ideas and concepts. Game development has been a long process to learn and I wish that anyone could just quickly design a game so the programmers can just do their job and build towards an end goal instead of re-writing a billion lines. (I prob doubled that in 6 years :p ok maybe not but close)

I am mainly looking for an intermediate to experience programmer who just loves game development and innovation. Before you ask yourself if you are experience enough why not just ask me as there is a lot of talented people here. I need someone who really wants this editor to be brought into existence through a lot of hard work. If you don't love your work you might not be fit for this. Not saying programming is easy as the keyboard has had so much abuse from head banging on it. XD Ok, not really but you get the point.

I also am in need of modelers and a good reliable modeler. Assets are hard to come by these days and I mean good assets. I want to provide assets in with this editor for constructing buildings or general everyday items everyone needs. Characters are also insanely hard to come by so a character artist and developer would be on the wish list and I will cross my fingers. If the character could be modified by changing cloths and hair and maybe even the texture (skin and cloths) then that would give the opportunity for graphic artist and modelers to make accessories for these characters and give enough variability.

I'm not asking for a lot of people or anything to ridiculous hopefully and hope to find some really great people to work on this project with.

Feel free to comment here or ask for any specifics in email.

Thanks so much,

Kevin

A.K.A DigitalFury

Once prototype is complete I will try for my first Kickstarter!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 02:35 Edited at: 10th Jun 2013 10:18
More Details:

I do love the DBP language but as everyone can agree it needs some improvements. I bought Dark GDK 2.0 as it was the first multi-threaded solution out there which has been limiting me for quite some time. I do plan on using Pure Basic to make it easy to develop the editor. (http://www.purebasic.com/) I have nothing against DBP as I'm prototyping it in DBP but I would like to get the it as close to Dark GDK 2.0's build with multi-theading + language improvements.

Logo Idea:

If you thought the last one was fluffy!

Check this one out:

What do you guys think about the editor idea? Do you think DBP needs an editor? If so what features would you be looking for?

Thanks,

DigitalFury

Attachments

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 11:04
Quote: "Do you think DBP needs an editor?"

DBP needs optimization and perfomance boost... Handy, stay on topic, stay on topic! When I saw screenie with cube I thought how about have an object creation tool ripped from 3ds max's "poly edit"? It would be cool to have such tool also with better unwrapping feature. I can write a detailed wishlist for such tool. 3ds max is great but they release it every year at high price with minor changes...

«Just because you’re unique, doesn’t mean you’re useful»
«If you contributed to the reason for locking, you may now find yourself on moderation, or in extreme cases in the grave»
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 11:24 Edited at: 31st May 2013 21:11
@mr Handy - "It would be cool to have such tool also with better unwrapping feature"

Could you point me to any youtube vid, tutorial, or documentation on this feature. I will try my best to figure it out.

"DBP needs optimization and performance boost." That actually is something I'm going to invest a heavy amount of time. I'm actually making new commands such as Closest Object (which actually is insanely slow as the object count goes up) but I have an algorithm using point grids. I also am learning finite state machines and writing my own version multi-threaded down the road.

The Screenie you saw actually is dbp :p I just have some cool textures.

DigitalFury

Attachments

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 15:20
Unwrapper is a tool that makes texture unwrap. Like if you want to make a lightmap. For example, if you want to make a tree, it is easy until you want to texture it, then it goes insane. Poly edit can't extrude (tree branches) with automatic texturing.

«If you contributed to the reason for locking, you may now find yourself on moderation, or in extreme cases in the grave»
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 15:55
Unwrapping is kinda like taking the model, and making a paper version of it that you might fold up to recreate the model again.

It depends on how complex the model is, but the major benefit with unwrapping is that the UV map isn't distorted or irregularly scaled - it tries to keep the model intact with all the polygons at a uniform scale, so when you draw the texture, there's less chance of having stretched parts. Really it can take hours to do a proper and exact UV map, it's difficult, time consuming, and can take just as long as it did to make the model in the first place.

The big issue with unwrapping complex UV maps, is that often the polygons have to overlap - unless real care is taken, and the model is split up into smoothing groups, and even then there's no guarantee. But an unwrapped UV map is still a better starting point than most techniques - better to spend 10 minutes fixing an unwrap, than 3 hours trying to get exact results using cylinder and plain mapping.

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 20:36 Edited at: 10th Jun 2013 10:25
Considering the issues with this you can basically breakup the UV map like i've seem in some models. In complex models like a character for instance i've seen issues fixed by detaching certain limbs.

It might be a good idea to check for overlaps and maybe even break up each limb.

I've played around with UV's for a while in my UV painting plugin i'm working on so it could be possible for me to wip something together.

I can add it to the wish list

Posted more features and progress :p
I got a lot more done then what I specified so far. Keep the requests coming. :p

DigitalFury

Attachments

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 03:46 Edited at: 10th Jun 2013 21:02
I'm going to be my own publisher on kickstarter.

Which one of these logos do you guys like?
New Logos coming soon

Any suggestions of a direction for the logo's design?

Thanks,

DigitalFury
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 09:25
Why don't you call the company Digital Fury? That's a far better name than DX Games.

I don't entirely understand what this editor is for. Will it be like Unity 3D?

The difficulty in learning is not acquiring new knowledge but relinquishing the old.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 09:38
Digital fury is good yes xD DX Games are... does DX stand for anything? Otherwise it sounds silly - like an attempt to "sound cool"

Quote: "Now to discuss exactly what the project is!
"

Can't just be me who felt like.. you said that - and just went on with the team request - you didn't actually shed any light onWHAT you are going to make

Whose eyes are those eyes?
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 10:08 Edited at: 10th Jun 2013 10:21
There is a link which was the point of the X. I added X at the end of products I created before like the X-Engine which I worked on 6 years ago. I use: X, Fury, Chaos, Digital, and Limitless interchangeably so I meshed two of them. I might rework the name as requested as DX does seem randomly chosen.

As far as the team request goes I will fix it up :p I striped out a lot of the bulk from the request and I didn't notice I left out a lot. Thanks for pointing that out.

DigitalFury
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 11:30
Quote: "Which one of these logos do you guys like?"

None of them. Just bunch of photoshop effects putted together.

Digital Fury is a solid name. DX sounds like dick's games.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 11:52
I kinda agree with Handy, none of the logos would entice me to give money to a kickstarter looking like that. Honestly I think you'll have a rough time getting any funding for an editor made in DB.

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 21:16 Edited at: 10th Jun 2013 21:17
@Phaelax - What is FPS Creator Reloaded made in? Isn't that DBP code or is that Direct10 like FPS Creator X10.

The reason for funding is that I'm making a few deals for assets, programs, tools, utilities, and more.

I want to get everyone free assets included with the editor so everyone has assets to get them started. That is why I'd need to pay a modeler. I also am going to made a deal with a content publisher to get discounts on assets.

There is another piece of tech that cost money called Brekel Kinect in order to get full motion capture working in DBP.

The final product is going to be heavily multi-threaded in Pure Basic or C++ using Dark GDK 2.0 (A lot of commands are going to be tested and replaced). In order to get the games running as fast as possible they should be written in Pure Basic or C++ (Dark GDK 2.0).

I do want to re-write any of the slow commands and replace them through plugins.

I'm also planning on adding imports of more model formats included an asset protection format i'm working on. I might get FBX, BVH, and other file format support. I also want to export it to 3D World Studios, Leadwerks, Unity, FPS Creator, AppGameKit, and more. I also will have automatic loading of FPS Creator Assets, Model Pack Assets (TGC), and other content stores assets standard. (That requires a lot of processing of animation, sizes, textures, ect) There will be a utility to convert and restructure a model pack to make it easy to load into the editor. I also will add a checkbox to specify if you want it to create the asset protected file formats as well.

There also is going to be a lot of plugins added with this product to make the development process easier. I might even bring over nav meshes. There also will be model painting. There also will be templates for every single game type. This way in a few commands you can have that game type setup.

What I was hoping would happen with DBP is that within a year or two Dark Basic Elite would be created so I can port it over to what DirectX version they are using.

The future of this product is to strip down all the code that is linked to DBP and make plugins that will work for any engine. I'm going to slim up the code and have shell function calls where the code for the other engine will be dropped in.

I think I might be able to get funding for this project as there are a ton of features anyone would want to see like integrated motion capture, object painting, texture editing, terrain editing, and just about everything else.

Tell me what you guys think?

Thanks,

DigitalFury
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 21:41
Quote: " What is FPS Creator Reloaded made in?"

No idea, never used it.

I think you still need a more straight-forward explanation of what this editor does. 3D modeler and texture? 3D map editor with scripting? Either a single sentence or a short, condensed list of the basic features. So that in a quick glance people have an idea what this does.

Quote: "What I was hoping would happen with DBP is that within a year or two Dark Basic Elite would be created"

I might be wrong but I think they dropped the idea to focus on agk.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 21:48
well then - here's the most important question - you want to get funding- how much exactly?

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 22:05 Edited at: 10th Jun 2013 22:07
If you low on money (or skilled as Phaelax the Silver Codemaster) you get DB or Unity, you don't need more, if you want something extra special you get UDK. Where do you want to fit your "not just another editor"?

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 22:07 Edited at: 10th Jun 2013 22:13
@Quik -

There are several purposes of getting funding:
- Provide Pre-Order and rewards
- Daz, Poser, Vue, Maya (Free Educational version), DMM, and other content providers + Research. I am looking to provide free DMM objects that you can break and destroy. I am looking into the decimator (Daz) of objects to reduce the polygon count of 3D characters so that would be a content store for characters for games. I notice certain content stores have model packs only for Daz, Poser, or Vue such as buildings. I want to get this working.
- City Generation: I want to buy a license and export free building packs for DBP if possible. There also is a suicidator city generator.
- Research into Modular Character Creation like Daz Studio.
- Brekel Kinect: Motion Capture Research and Plugin Development
- A lot more.

I will get a full list of costs here soon.

Rewards:
- Discounted Pre-Order
- Membership to Asset store for a year (Discounted from $350) Had to work out a deal with the owner.
- Bekel Kinect + Face Motion Capture (Working on bulk discounts) - Direct Integration into the Editor.
- Free Asset Packs ($ will goto paying a modeler)
- Multi-Player Server for a year
- Tutorials
- Others. (Have a full list somewhere have to find it)

I'd be happy to get $1000 into research from pre-orders and kick-starter. If I need to pay anyone for help would need a bit more. Goal isn't to un-reasonable and I'm sure the goal will be exceeded.

@mr Handy - "Where do you want to fit your 'Just not another editor'" Don't know what u mean :p

@Phaelax - Good suggestion.

DigitalFury
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 22:15
@DigitalFury
I mean that if you want serious funding (heck, even the Carnage and FPSCR are failed!) you need to make your program "most wanted". For now I don't see anything to explain why I should support it on KS. No offence, bro.

Here:
Quote: "I am looking for a shader developer who can design some custom shaders."

We already have Shader Pack and Dark Shader.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 22:18
indeed - you need to make it wanted, and to a broad audience, how many here do you think, not just wants this - but NEEDS it? and are willing to pay for it?

you want 1000$ - that's atleast reasonable, so i wont argue with that though - just saying, marketing - will be important..

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 22:42
@mr Handy - Look at Maya's Uber Shader and look at the quality of what can be created with it. Shaders aren't just 10 common shaders. There is a whole world of shaders. Also, shaders can't be combined easily. Good reasons to expand that. Shaders are what give us the level quality and always can be improved.

@Quik - I'm working on marketing by making a few videos. Short simple and show what can be done in the editor. Might add dubstep :p

I am marketing this product to any common person who wants to make a game but doesn't care to program. Eventually I will have nothing but scripts and Visual Flow Graph files (Visual programming + Scripts). I want to make this as painless as possible for the start up developer or the common person. I realized no one wants to write FPS Creator scripts that is why most of the common people didn't go with FPS Creator.

I want the editor to be all you need to make the game. It can export the code to the compiler (if you buy Dark GDK 2.0 or DBP). There finished game all finished visually. Maybe some lua scripting required but i will write all the functions and plugins needed to accomplish the bulk of it.

There's the product :p

DigitalFury
Le Verdier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 23:40 Edited at: 10th Jun 2013 23:48
Quote: "I do want to re-write any of the slow commands and replace them through plugins.

It can export the code to the compiler (if you buy Dark GDK 2.0 or DBP"

Here is, IMHO, the flaw of the project
WHO really want to buy and to rely on an unfinished, unsupported gdk2 ... ??? or a DBP which doesnot have a clear future ???
If You are making complete authoring system, you should consider writing first your own library(or use a free/royalty free one). That will expand your market from a few DBP fans to ... anyone

And keep dbp for prototyping and some parts of the editor, but not the runtime of created games

Some links:
http://devmaster.net

http://polycode.org

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 02:34 Edited at: 11th Jun 2013 05:47
@Le Verdier - True. I do want to move to another possibility but I don't want this to be like a 5 year project though. lol

I will continue this project to support other game engines after this project is done. I can recycle a huge chunk of it.

DBP actually can handle quite a lot. The problem is inefficient code and using DBP instead of Dark GDK 2.0.

This is usually why you have issues with speed:

Also, slow commands that DBP provides can cause unexpected slow downs when using them a lot. Replacing them is my plan for now. Dark GDK 2.0 has multi-threading so that will also help speed it up quite a bit.

I also wrote some performance code which keeps the game from taking on to many tasks per second and caps it off. Unlike sync it actually is very accurate and you get CPU reductions.

In the end of this project you should be able to create some pretty decent casual games. If a more powerful engine is required I will dive into that engine and recycle a lot of my old concepts and code (considering most of it is plugin based) and move on to that engine.

Thanks for the input,

DigitalFury
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2013 20:40
I find this funny how i've made so much progress myself. Ironic team request seem. lol

Ok, seriously it is a lot of work. Any help I can get is greatly appreciated.

Any suggestions of commands, ideas of features, pointing me to resources, or things I could add to the Dream Editor would greatly contribute to my editor.

Anything you guys want could be added to the editor. You guys just need to let me know and I'll take the challenge gladly.

DigitalFury
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2013 02:17
Quote: "I find this funny how i've made so much progress myself. Ironic team request seem. lol

Ok, seriously it is a lot of work. Any help I can get is greatly appreciated.
"

On most projects, 20% of the people do 80% of the work. thats pretty much a general rule

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2013 03:36
@thenerd - I know but is it fun XD

Been such a crazy challenge. 4-8 hrs a day and 15,000 lines then converting it to C++

XD

Lol

DigitalFury

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:03:08
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:03:08