Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / The Community Mod - FPS-Files Edition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 10:54 Edited at: 18th Jul 2013 16:20
To celebrate the return of FPS-Files, I have decided to update the community mod to the latest version of the FPSC codebase, and redo many of the features and fix up the features that were broken.

You can consider this as version 1.0 of the Community Mod.

Current features:
+ Bullet time that doesn't have a performance impact!*
+ Uncapped scripts, scripts can now go over 350 lines!**
+ Changeable map size (feature finally completed!)
+ Source code is split up into relevant files, organisation for the win!
+ Additional internal variables
+ HUD fadeout directions
+ Tractor beams
+ Entity cloning
+ Limb commands
+ Ragdolls are affected by impact forces
+ Windowed mode

Still to re-implement:
+ Third person
+ Top down view
+ Minimap

Additional features (may or may not make it to the release, but may be in further patches):
+ LuaMod implementation
+ H6 Mod implementation
+ Half-Life styled flashlight***

* Feature now affects decals, all animations, and physics.
** Don't go overboard though, just because a limit is removed doesn't mean you can magically abuse it
*** I actually had this feature done, but due to DarkBASIC Pro using vertex lighting, it doesn't look good, so I removed the feature. I might go back to it someday.

Contributors/People who have offered to help:
(most of the original code contributed will be replaced by code created by me, but these people have still helped me a great deal, thus they remain credited.)
Scene Commander
BlackFox
Ched80
Hell_666
F l a t l a n d e r
Section 812
s4real

-TZK

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 01:53
Sounds sweet Z Killer

gamer, lover, filmmaker
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 16:19
@seppgirty
Thanks!

PROGRESS UPDATE
I'VE DONE IT! Ragdolls now react to impact force, just like in FPSC x10. How far they fly is based on how much damage is dealt to them. I've also finished reimplementing the following features:
* Additional internal variables
* HUD fadeout directions
* Tractor beams
* Entity cloning
* Limb commands
* Windowed mode

Also:
* The expanded map editor appears to work perfectly, absolutely no bugs so far. I even fixed the "can't go below 39x39" issue. Now you can go down to as small as 2x2x1, I don't know why you'd want to, but the feature is there nonetheless.
* You can set the default window mode size and window title in CommMod.ini
* You can now get the direction of a limb in addition to its angle and position (direction is essentially the same as the angle, except it depends on the limb's angle in the animation, unlike regular angles)

I think this thing might actually be released on schedule.

-TZK

A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 17:29
Great stuff!

Don't waste your life
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good TZK the level being is a great feature but be better if you can add a counter how much ram is used in the editor.

I'm not sure how much of the editor you can change as I have not looked into that part of the source myself.

Also another good thing to help the bigger map would be to find away to have the lightmapping build separately once the universe is built, I've looked into this myself but not worked a way round it yet maybe you have fresh ideas.

All in all looking good

Best of luck

s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by pledging now :- http://vishnu.chipin.com/vishnu
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2013 00:42
Quote: "Also:
* The expanded map editor appears to work perfectly, absolutely no bugs so far. I even fixed the "can't go below 39x39" issue. Now you can go down to as small as 2x2x1, I don't know why you'd want to, but the feature is there nonetheless."

Sounds promising. First thing to ask about. We outlined here in detail about building maps. If you build a map in the default 40x40x20 and then change it, can you confirm the map you open remains at the default? In theory, if you build a map 40x40x20, save and exit, set your grid to 80x80x20, then open that saved map, it should revert to the default. Last time we tested, we documented our findings. Would be nice to have confirmation on this if you have changed the outcome.

Second thing to ask. Did you construct various levels at various grid sizes and note any build differences? In the thread I linked in the above paragraph, we noticed the build time increased if the grid was larger. Did this change at all? Can you have one map that is 40x40, a second 80x80, and a third 50x50? Was there any issue with build or game playing?

Third, do you still specify grid size according to the INI file like previous?

The above is just to get a bearing on where you're at to where it was before, in case something gets overlooked. By the sounds of it, you may have a good handle on it.

Quote: "* You can set the default window mode size and window title in CommMod.ini"

If you are using the minimap code we sent you a while back, be aware that it was mainly coded for our source. While we too have window mode in our source, we also have our minimaps "auto-adjusting" so they do not become pixelated. That may need to be addressed if you have a minimap that shows normal in full screen and looks to small in windowed. Same with any text you have displayed (either in huds or raw text). They will actually shrink when going to window mode, and we also had to add extra code to our source to compensate when window mode is called.

All in all, you are making great strides!!

Quote: "Also another good thing to help the bigger map would be to find away to have the lightmapping build separately once the universe is built, I've looked into this myself but not worked a way round it yet maybe you have fresh ideas.
"

A few of us have looked at that, and unfortunately it became nothing but a pain to try and get it segregated from the main build. We had a couple of ideas to try, but they did not work out as intended. I did have a third option (along with code to add a "replace-item-in-editor" feature), but it would require access to the actual FPS Creator interface, which was a "no-go".

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2013 06:12
@BlackFox
The map retaining its original size still exists, but I will be adding an ini flag to disable that functionality.

There appears to be no issues while playing with different sizes.

And yes, it is still set in an ini file.

I'll look into fixing the issue with the minimap and windowed mode (if it exists in my source, that is)

@s4real
Quote: "Looking good TZK the level being is a great feature but be better if you can add a counter how much ram is used in the editor"

I'll see what I can do about this, I'll have to look at the build routines to see how they calculate memory usage.

Quote: "Also another good thing to help the bigger map would be to find away to have the lightmapping build separately once the universe is built, I've looked into this myself but not worked a way round it yet maybe you have fresh ideas."

As BlackFox said, this is very difficult, however, I might be able to achieve this sorta by implementing EVOLVED's advanced lighting into the editor.

@A dude
Thanks!

-TZK

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 11:22 Edited at: 21st Jul 2013 14:49
Attached is a test release (most likely the only one, since this edition is supposed to be FPS-Files exclusive) for people to look for bugs etc.

Filename: cmfpsf-(fpsc revision)-(cm revision)-[patchnumber].zip

There is no documentation at this point (apart from a file that has all the commands in it), and make sure you back up the following files in addition to FPSC-Game and FPSC-MapEditor in case you want to remove the community mod:

Files/ScriptBank/People/ThrowRagdollBack.fpi
Files/ScriptBank/People/ThrowRagdollFore.fpi
Files/ScriptBank/People/ThrowRagdollLeft.fpi
Files/ScriptBank/People/ThrowRagdollRight.fpi

If you want to have a bit of fun with ragdoll, set an entity's destroy scripts to one of the ragdollcorpse*.fpi scripts in the destroy folder, set your weapon's damage to 9000 for extra fun.

Download

-TZK

Attachments

Login to view attachments
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 21:59
I tried the test release with the latest version of FPSC and for some reason, ragdoll scripts are working. The character doesn't die.

Don't waste your life
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 05:30
@A dude
Which ragdoll script are you using?

-TZK

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 12:54 Edited at: 21st Jul 2013 14:00
PROGRESS UPDATE
Here is the current state of CommMod.ini:

As you may have noticed, it is now fully commented.
As some of the more observant people may have noticed, there is now the ability to change the game directory. This may or may not be a hint at me adding mod capabilities :p

You may have also noticed that I've added a "ForceMapSize" option to counter something discovered by BlackFox that can be considered a bug.

Other notes:
* I have fixed a possible bug reported by "A dude" that would stop ragdolls from working by re-commenting a feature that I re-enabled in the engine earlier. However, the bug might actually have been the common "engine thinks entity is offscreen but isn't, so no ragdoll" bug.

EDIT: Here's a super 1337 leaked video of the ragdolls:

-TZK

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 14:19
That ragdoll looks pretty awesome, as well as the HD recording. If v120 is at its final, and this mod takes it a little step further, I may take this mod into my game and that will be my final use of FPSC before reloaded.

Keep it up

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download demo today!
Wheatleyy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 14:39
This looks awesome! I'm not much of an FPSC coder myself but I'd love to release a mod at some point in my life. Is it all Dark Basic? I will definitely get my hands on this when the final release is out! Great work from everybody involved.

Just as a suggestion, is it feasible to have semi-realistic liquid in the engine or not?

Cheers
Wheatleyy

THIS IS A SIGNATURE... TRUST ME... IT IS!
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 14:47 Edited at: 21st Jul 2013 14:50
@Burger
Thanks! And yep, that's 1080p stuff right there :p

Quote: "If v120 is at its final, and this mod takes it a little step further, I may take this mod into my game and that will be my final use of FPSC before reloaded. "

That'd be pretty awesome if you did that

@Wheatleyy
Thanks!

Quote: "Is it all Dark Basic?"

Sure is, 100% DarkBASIC Professional. If you want to mod the FPSC source, you'll need DBPro, DarkLIGHTS, DarkAI and a few extra dlls (EnhancementsOV.dll, and some modified DarkLIGHTS and DarkAI DLLs) to get it working.

It's very easy to get into, although it can be difficult to set up at first.

Quote: "I will definitely get my hands on this when the final release is out!"

If you want to try it out right now, there's a test release a few posts above, it has the ragdoll in it and pretty much everything I've listed as "in" so far.

Quote: "Just as a suggestion, is it feasible to have semi-realistic liquid in the engine or not?"

Not with ODE physics as far as I know. If I ever get around to buying DarkDynamix or getting my hands on that Bullet Physics wrapper that Lee is working on for Reloaded, I'll take a look at it.

-TZK

Stalker93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 15:01
@The Zombie Killer
Man this is awesome!! Great work, really Just tested it Is it based on the latest source by s4real(which should be v1.20.19c I belive)? I'd have just two little things to ask you: I've noticed that the "plrrunning" condition returns true just if SHIFT key is pressed, which should instead be true only if SHIFT is pressed and the player IS WALKING. I've told this to s4real and Scene Commander, but he said they have no time to change/add stuff. Could you fix this little thing? The other thing is could you release a test version with the half-life styled flashlight available? I'm really curious about it
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 15:46
@Stalker93
Quote: "Man this is awesome!! Great work, really"

Thanks!

Quote: "Is it based on the latest source by s4real(which should be v1.20.19c I belive)?"

Yep

Quote: "I've noticed that the "plrrunning" condition returns true just if SHIFT key is pressed, which should instead be true only if SHIFT is pressed and the player IS WALKING. I've told this to s4real and Scene Commander, but he said they have no time to change/add stuff. Could you fix this little thing?"

Sure, I'll see what I can do

Quote: "The other thing is could you release a test version with the half-life styled flashlight available? I'm really curious about it"

I don't even think I have the code for it anymore. Trust me, it isn't worth it. It was extremely buggy and the light didn't seem to actually move unless you were right next to a wall and were moving at the same time, plus it made polygons visible on walls and objects. Also, since DarkBASIC Pro uses vertex lighting, the light always seemed to look like a square or hexagon most of the time.

I WILL be releasing a new test soon however. It has the following enhancements over the previous test:

* ForceRagdoll now has a parameter, the parameter will specify whether you want the ragdoll to still be forced even if the object is offscreen
* You can change the name of the "Files" folder, customization is always good
* I added a command to toggle mouselook (for scripted sequences, etc)
* I added X10's "impactforce" setting to gunspecs, so now ragdolls aren't so reliant on damage.
* I've added (untested) the ability to shoot ragdolls and have them react when they're already dead (eg, fling them around with explosions etc)
* I've added around 4 new conditions
* The "forced map size" is now implemented
* Probably a bunch of other stuff I've forgotten about

-TZK

Wheatleyy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 17:56
Just had another idea, what about gravity control or a laser-tracer type feature? (Like the lasers in Star Wars)

Cheers
Wheatleyy

THIS IS A SIGNATURE... TRUST ME... IT IS!
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work TZK

Quote: "the light always seemed to look like a square or hexagon most of the time."

This is due to how the segments are made to get a true halflife flashlight you need to build a second universe and all the shaders have to be changed to work with the flashlight this does kill framerate a lot.

Quote: "I've told this to s4real and Scene Commander, but he said they have no time to change/add stuff. Could you fix this little thing?"

Due to Lee pushing this out we had to get more show killing bugs fixed, there is a workaround for this bug but it would be nice if you did fix it.

============================================================================

Will the mod still be open source TZK

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 07:32 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2013 07:44
TEST 2 ATTACHED
Download

@Wheatleyy
Quote: "Just had another idea, what about gravity control or a laser-tracer type feature? (Like the lasers in Star Wars)"

I guess I could do both of those

@s4real
Quote: "This is due to how the segments are made to get a true halflife flashlight you need to build a second universe and all the shaders have to be changed to work with the flashlight this does kill framerate a lot."

Yeah, because of this, I probably won't work on this feature for a while.

Quote: "Due to Lee pushing this out we had to get more show killing bugs fixed, there is a workaround for this bug but it would be nice if you did fix it."

Already fixed, but I'm not sure if it was actually a bug or not. I think the idea was originally just if the running key was pressed, not if the player was moving as well, but I guess the command's name suggests otherwise.

Quote: "Will the mod still be open source TZK"

Of course, the community mod will always be open source. The source isn't included with the test release simply because I forgot to include it in the zip file :3

-TZK

Attachments

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 07:50
Attached is the source code because I forgot to include it AGAIN.
This code is slightly newer than the compiled version above, but the only addition is that it has a new command: newshotdamage, it's the same as shotdamage, except it works even when the enemy is dead.

-TZK

Attachments

bojandurmic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 17:31
Great job , TZK !! Great job ! Keep it up ! And dont let this mod die , please finish it

Your signature has been erased by a mod, please reduce it to no larger than 600 x 120.
Susysyay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 17:59 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2013 18:28
Maybe I'm blind, but where is a download link to the mod itself? I tried going to fpsfiles.net, but I guess the link is dead? Has it been released yet?

Edit: I was blind. Found it.

-Winner of the X10 Revival Competition, Susysyay
"I'm havin' too good a time today, I ain't even thinkin' bout tomorrow."
Susysyay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 18:30 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2013 18:31
So I've tried every version of the mod posted, and all I've done is change the map size to 100x100x10 and it always stalls on 240 Building Portals. I let it sit for like 10 minutes and it never got past that. I tried making super simple maps with the "common segment". I didn't take up all 100x100 segments. I just tried a small square area of 4x4 segments in a map editor set for 100x100x10 and it still failed. Any ideas? I'm using 1.20.18 FPSC X9, obviously XD

-Winner of the X10 Revival Competition, Susysyay
"I'm havin' too good a time today, I ain't even thinkin' bout tomorrow."
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2013 14:02 Edited at: 29th Jul 2013 14:03
After a (seemingly) long break, I'm back!
Things have been a little slow lately, life does get in the way sometimes.

I plan to begin implementing the basis of LuaMod soon. Don't expect Lua to be at all usable for a LONG while though. Heck, with how Lua is progressing so far, Reloaded will probably be open-sourced and I will have moved this over to its codebase instead.

@Bojandurmic
Quote: "Great job , TZK !! Great job ! Keep it up ! And dont let this mod die , please finish it"

Thanks! And I certainly don't plan on letting this die any time soon.

@Susysyay
Quote: "So I've tried every version of the mod posted, and all I've done is change the map size to 100x100x10 and it always stalls on 240 Building Portals. I let it sit for like 10 minutes and it never got past that. I tried making super simple maps with the "common segment". I didn't take up all 100x100 segments. I just tried a small square area of 4x4 segments in a map editor set for 100x100x10 and it still failed. Any ideas? I'm using 1.20.18 FPSC X9, obviously XD"

Yeah, "Building Portals" is an issue with expanded map sizes right now. I'm looking into it though, it will eventually get past it, however it will take a LONG time. After it has initially built the portals, it will be relatively fast though.

-TZK

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2013 03:52 Edited at: 4th Aug 2013 03:53
@TZk, how are things shaping up? been a few days.

mk83 Productions
ToRRent
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there posibility to add this (http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199722&b=21&msg=2388460#m2388460) flashlight to mod ?

Thanks in advance
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 14:24
@ToRRent
That flashlight was added into the official source since the v1.20 (maybe even v1.19, I can't remember) betas. So it's already in the mod.

@MK83
I haven't worked on the mod since the last update, I've been busy (life continues to get in the way) and I've been slowly moving away from FPSC while I wait for Reloaded to be released.

I really wanted to get the community mod rewritten and finally have all the features completed, but FPSC Classic will most likely die down when Reloaded is released, and I no longer have a big enough motivation to work on the source.

Maybe I'll return to work on this another day (and maybe even get Lua mod finished and integrated), but I'm pretty sure Reloaded will be released by the time that happens.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'm not going to be very active in the community any more (however I will still be able to be contacted for help and maybe even the occasional addition to the community mod).

-TZK

unbound
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 14:49
You'll be active in the community once reloaded is released. right? RIGHT!!??

You want a sig? this is your sig!
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 09:55
@unbound
Maybe. We'll see :p

-TZK

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@The Zombie Killer :- I feel the same, there seems to be a lack of people using fpsc now and wonder if its worth the time and effort.

I spend a lot less time on fpsc at the moment but I feel fpsc will not die even after reloaded is release as reloaded will probably need higher specs machines with the shaders and extra features.

It's just a waiting game now so everyone in limbo until the first release of reloaded out.

best s4real

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 08:42
hey s4real am i allow to make a free game with waspv2? for others to play.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@michael x :- Yes that fine .

best s4real

ToRRent
Years of Service
User Offline
@The Zombie Killer
I have last beta and it's not working, maybe there are diffrent syntax, i don't know.
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2013 07:50
thanks s4real.

also I agree fpsc is outdated anyway and 120 seem to be a crash & burn. plus reload will be the fpsc we never had and more. be not going stop me from working on my game projects I have in the works. but I do see the newer mods being pointless to work on. because time any of these mod are complete reload will be rolling out. I read the blog everyday on reload and these just don't have enough candy eye to be wroth the time to work on them. reload ai system going to be something better then fpsc.reload will be on the level like unity engine but much easier to use.

Welcome to SciFi Summer
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "120 seem to be a crash & burn."

The last unofficial version seems to be pretty stable but wasp v2 is a lot faster and very stable indeed.

The source does not compile zombie killer it can't find certain commands did you use any plugin's for this mod?

I noticed you split it up I should say this would be the problem and I haven't the time to check why its not compiling.

also like ToRRent has said this don't work for me in windows 8 just crashes.

Maybe a bit of debugging needs to be done.

best s4real

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2013 01:17
you are right wasp v2 seem to be very good. but what made me want to use it is when I seen your name on who work on it. I know it got to be stable. also I have notice the mod use less memory.

Welcome to SciFi Summer
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2013 03:48
@s4real
Quote: "The source does not compile zombie killer it can't find certain commands did you use any plugin's for this mod?

I noticed you split it up I should say this would be the problem and I haven't the time to check why its not compiling."

Yes, I used the Matrix1Utils plugin collection. A link to all the plugins required should be in the comments at the start of the "FPSCreator.dba" file.

The fact that the source is split up isn't the reason that it won't compile. It's just that you don't have the plugins required.

-TZK

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think thats the problem as I have the Matrix1Utils plugin collection install and use it myself for my mods.

error message after you click compile :- Subscript must be Integer or DWORD when referencing an array at line 138.

I know the problem its because the split source not in the project you save.

You do need to sort that out if given the source as it will never compile without locating the files.

looking good anyway best of luck with it.

best s4real

ToRRent
Years of Service
User Offline
I saw that some segments doesn't appear after load (mainly stairs, walls).
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2013 04:52
Just a little update

I haven't worked on this since the last update still, as I said, lack of motivation.
I'm still considering working on a "Community Mod Reloaded" if Reloaded gets open-sourced however.

@s4real
That source is the same source I compiled with, it works fine here so I have no idea what is wrong on your end.

@ToRRent
I have no idea what would be causing that, strange.

-TZK

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 16:38:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 16:38:44