Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Flocking Walkers Simulator (with source) -- Corrected Post

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
FLOcking Walkers (FLOW)

This is a simulator of human self-organized walkers who use local rules to develop flocking and other (hopefully) interesting behaviors. "Flocking" is here used in the sense of Boids-creator Craig Reynolds. A 3d visualization is used to present these behaviors. The main program (computation and visualization) has been written in the DarkBasic language.

This software has been tested and runs on WinXP, Win 7, Win 8. For comments and questions mail flockingwalker@gmail.com .

Ath.Kehagias and L.Eleftheriou

PS to the FORUM ADMINISTRATOR: Dear Admin, I have posted on July 17th another announcement of this software but something has gone wrong with this post and I cannot access it any longer (in fact I think its contents have disappeared). Can you please delete this older post?

Whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent

Attachments

Login to view attachments
kehagiat
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, and some images

http://sourceforge.net/projects/flockingwalkers/?source=directory

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2013 15:48
You might find some more interesting stuff by a guy known only to the forum as "Philip the Bear". We met up many years ago and I ended up talking to him again this week. One day I will persuade him to come back and share his knowledge again.

Anyway....here is his work on flocking, fleeing, seeking, arriving, pursuing, wandering and much more. It's based on the same work by Craig Reynolds.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=68477&b=1

kehagiat
Years of Service
User Offline
I am very grateful for the link. I looked at it and obviously the Bear did a much more thorough job than I did.

Two remarks

1. The Bear is a lot closer to the Reynolds model. Specifically, his agents have mass and acceleration. I went for massless agents and constant velocity, mainly for simplicity. I think there is a certain advantage in this. I am currently mostly interested in producing "pretty videos" (there are some on YouTube, search "Flocking Walkers"). Did the Bear or somebody else produce similar videos? I would like to see them!

2. What would be reasonably useful is a dll that would make the (Bear and/or mine) functions EASILY available for DarkBasic coding (I mean as if they were regular DB functions). I do not plan to implement this (my native programming language is Matlab, DarkBasic is a sideshow) and I suspect the Bear didn't implement it either, but does such a thing exist in "DBspace"?

Thn

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 13:27 Edited at: 26th Aug 2013 13:27
I don't think a Dll exists anywhere, but Philip provided all of his source code in the hope that somebody would do something good with it. It looks like that might be you The mathematics are certainly too complicated for me.

I don't have DBPro on this laptop, but I'm sure his examples are all able to compile and run.

kehagiat
Years of Service
User Offline
I checked a couple of his examples and they do run fine.

Like I said DBPro, though a fine language, is not my main tool; so the "DBProSteer Library" is not a high priority. On the other hand, I am a professor, so I may be able to lure a student into this . At any rate the project is in the queue.

Thn

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 02:12
@kehagiat

thanks for making this

it will enhance how things will work in the games I have in mind

to move side ways - is to move forward
Since a Strait line gets thin fast

Login to post a reply