Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / SteamMod - Steam integration for FPSC!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 12:03 Edited at: 29th Jan 2014 08:41
SteamMod
Steam integration for FPS Creator Classic

DOWNLOAD
ZIP | RAR

What is SteamMod?
SteamMod is a mod that allows you to use the Steam API with your FPSC games. This includes stats, achievements, and more!

What version of FPSC is it based on?
SteamMod is based on the latest unofficial version of 1.20 (beta 19i).
It is recommended that you use v1.20 beta 17a with this mod.

It turns out that there is a bug with beta 19i, which stops
savegames from working. Therefore, in the next release I will be
reverting the mod back to the latest official beta until this is
resolved, so please refrain from releasing games with this version.
Developing with this version is completely safe however.

How did you implement Steamworks?
I had to write a plugin for DarkBASIC Professional to use the Steam API. The current version of the plugin has been released for free here

So what's the feature list so far?
SteamMod currently features the following:

FPSC IP support
If you own FPSC IP v4.0, you can use it with this mod with no problems.

Full Steam integration
Steam stats, achievements, DRM and pretty much any other Steam feature you would expect!

Uncapped scripts
Your FPI scripts are now able to go over the 350 line limit. Just remember, just because the limit is removed, it does not mean you can have 10+ 500 line scripts and expect no slowdowns.

How do I handle achievements and statistics?
Achievements and stats are handled through FPI commands.
Before your game is on Steam, you can use a test game called "Spacewar" (app id 480). To do this, you create a text file called "steam_appid.txt" in your game/FPS Creator's folder with "480" in it (without quotes).
Please note that steam_appid.txt is for development only and should not be included in the files for the Steam release of your game.
Spacewar includes five test achievements that you can unlock through FPI commands. The new FPI commands and conditions included with SteamMod are:

Where can I get it?
If your game is free, then you can use SteamMod at no cost. You can download the latest version at the top of this post.
If you are going to sell your game, then you must purchase a license to use the mod. Prices and methods of payment are currently under consideration.

How much will a commercial license cost?
Prices and methods of payment are currently under consideration.
I'd estimate around ~5 Australian dollars per game.

Can I get my hands on the source code?
SteamMod is currently closed source and is most likely to remain that way.
I may consider including source access with a commercial license, but there are still many things to consider if this is to happen.

The mod crashes straight away!
Make sure you have msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll in your game's folder AND FPSCreator's folder. If you still get any errors, try installing the Visual C++ 2010 redistributable
Also note that the Steam API will use up a bit of your RAM, so try to optimize your levels as best as possible to prevent your levels from crashing. For the majority of levels, this shouldn't be an issue.

TodeGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 12:38
Man! This is Awesome!!!

I love to make games

http://www.youtube.com/user/thespicy847
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 13:06
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
The Zombie Killer done great work with this well done m8.

Best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by Donating now :- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208057&b=21
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 22:13
Wow! That's awesome.

Don't waste your life
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 00:52
s4real wrote: "The Zombie Killer done great work with this well done m8.

Best s4real"

A dude wrote: "Wow! That's awesome."

Thanks guys!

News
The mod has been built, and works, now all I need to do is upload it and put the link in the OP.

Please take note of a few things:
* At the moment, your games will not work in offline mode/without internet connection, this is because I currently make the engine wait for statistics to be available before actually doing anything.
I will fix this by either adding a check for offline mode if I can, or by removing the wait for stats completely.

* The mod is currently provided WITHOUT documentation. However, the information in the OP and the information you can get from the Steam partner website should pretty much give you all the info you'll need.

Stalker93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2014 13:14
@The Zombie Killer
This is awesome! I can't belive it's real! I'm gonna try it btw, I've seen you've built Steam Mod upon beta_19i..I've find out with the help of s4real that beta "i" was compiled using an old version of lightmapping.dll, therefore causing problems with memory usage after the lightmapping process (like 400MB+ in very big outdoor areas...for example, same map, with 1.20.19h mem used was around 1100MB, with 1.20.19i around 1700MB). "j" beta set everything back to normal. Could you recompile Steam Mod on latest version? Thx for work anyway, fantastic as always!

p.s. I've used your Community Mod FPS-Files Ed. until some weeks ago. That was a great mod too, very useful features! What about merging it with Steam Mod? Oh and I don't know if you remember, but the CM Mod in one of it's early version was suffering from a bug causing the water plane to cover only the original 40x40 grid size, even if the map was set to bigger dimensions. Well that problems seems to happen even in the lates FPS-Files Ed. version. If you merge the two, could you fix it?
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 02:54
Quote: "Could you recompile Steam Mod on latest version?"

I'll see, I'm not sure which LightMapper.dll is the latest.
I'll have to ask s4real for it, and see if there were any source changes in beta 19j too.

Quote: "p.s. I've used your Community Mod FPS-Files Ed. until some weeks ago. That was a great mod too, very useful features! What about merging it with Steam Mod?"

Not a huge priority at the moment, although I may consider it later.

Quote: "but the CM Mod in one of it's early version was suffering from a bug causing the water plane to cover only the original 40x40 grid size, even if the map was set to bigger dimensions."

I'm pretty sure I fixed it by making the plane be the size of the map, plus an additional 40x40 area on the outside. It was originally set to double the map size, but it caused performance issues.

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Great what you make possible with fpsc

Games make the world better
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 16:43
Let´s cut it short: It works. See the Pic
But Steam will nibble a little bit of your available RAM, so you shouldn´t be on the edge of crashing before you include this EXE.

Producer @ Mipumi Games
CEO Homegrown Games
Come to where the madness is:http://www.indiedb.com/games/into-the-dark

Attachments

Login to view attachments
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
During testing TZK and myself did notice a spike in ram but this was fixed to use none, so not sure what he changed to have the spike again.

Best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by Donating now :- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208057&b=21
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 00:20 Edited at: 27th Jan 2014 00:21
damn, this is an awesome achievement. it would be so awesome to be able to distribute my game on steam for free. this opens up a whole new avenue of possibilities for the common fpsc dev to get discovered. a round of applause for you guys

Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 01:04
@Ertlov
Quote: "Let´s cut it short: It works. See the Pic"

Awesome! Glad to see my work paid off

Quote: "But Steam will nibble a little bit of your available RAM, so you shouldn´t be on the edge of crashing before you include this EXE."

That's a note I should probably add to the OP.

@s4real
Quote: "During testing TZK and myself did notice a spike in ram but this was fixed to use none, so not sure what he changed to have the spike again."

I'm pretty sure what we fixed was CPU usage, rather than RAM usage. We were also testing it in a demo rather than FPSC itself, there's also the fact that the demo didn't run "steam run callbacks" every frame like this does. Even though the demo probably should've done that (it does in the latest version of the plugin).

@Bugsy
Quote: "damn, this is an awesome achievement"

I smell a pun

Quote: "it would be so awesome to be able to distribute my game on steam for free"

If you can pay the $100 Steam developer fee, then go ahead, it'd be awesome to see more FPSC games on Steam!

Quote: "this opens up a whole new avenue of possibilities for the common fpsc dev to get discovered. a round of applause for you guys "

Thanks!

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm pretty sure what we fixed was CPU usage, rather than RAM usage. We were also testing it in a demo rather than FPSC itself, there's also the fact that the demo didn't run "steam run callbacks" every frame like this does. Even though the demo probably should've done that (it does in the latest version of the plugin).
"

Yup you was right there my confusion.

Best s4real

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 17:10
Wow The Zombie Killer. Very, very impressive.
Great job.
best ncmako

You know you're a bad gamer when you're able to run out of infinite lives.
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 09:52
Unfortunately there is a major issue.

Savegames can´t be loaded anymore, either they crash during loading with an "Array out of bounds" error ot they load, but the player is stuck and can´t move anymore.

Producer @ Mipumi Games
CEO Homegrown Games
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 09:55
I haven't changed anything that should cause that, do you get the same issue with the stock version of beta 19i?

If all else fails, I could try inserting Steam again without the FPSC-IP support, as that MAY (however unlikely) be the issue.

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 14:28
thx for the fast fix !

Producer @ Mipumi Games
CEO Homegrown Games
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Unfortunately there is a major issue.

Savegames can´t be loaded anymore, either they crash during loading with an "Array out of bounds" error ot they load, but the player is stuck and can´t move anymore."

This is not a problem with The Zombie Killer mod it is in fact a problem with the beta.

Not sure when this problem has arrived but I'm looking into at the moment.

@Ertlov :- What version was you using to make your game ?

best s4real

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 08:39
I ended up going back to the latest official beta, which fixed the issue.

Once FPSC-IP is back in the codebase, I'll be just about ready for a new release, the main improvements are:

* FPSC Bugfix: turning off dynamic lights no longer crashes the engine
* FPSC Bugfix: turning off shaders when water is enabled no longer crashes the engine
* Offline mode now works with games, and they start up slightly quicker (removed "stat wait")
* New commands:
+ ActivateOverlay=Type
+ ActivateOverlayToPage=URL
+ SetOverlayNotificationPos=Position
* Ragdolls can be affected by weapons

Todo:
* Add FPSC-IP back in
* Add new "language=x" condition, for multilingual subtitles etc
* Implement certain features from the community mod, full implementation is being considered, but not certain at the moment
* Custom game directories
* Custom app titles
* Steam cloud integration (this is a todo for the Steam plugin, but it still has to be implemented here too)

Much later:
* Modding capabilities
* Script encryption (so achievements can't be unlocked through editing scripts)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:54:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:54:42