Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [Released] [Android] NeoParticle

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 04:22 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2014 05:47
Hey all,

After several months of more-or-less continuous work (and recently, many late nights), I have finally completed my first app for Android! *cheering and clapping*

Now available on:

Scroll down for screenshots and video.

The game is, simply put, Tesla Toy for Android. It's not called that, obviously, it's called NeoParticle, but that's basically what it is.

The idea came to me while I was experimenting with the particles in Unity for a different game. I thought, "Well, I need a simple idea for my first app, and this fits the bill; it'll be easy!". Never been so wrong. I started by trying to get it working in Unity, using Unity's built-in Shuriken particle system. That proved nearly impossible because I really didn't know how Tesla Toy achieved the effect you get with four fingers (the particles swirling in a circle). I was convinced I needed a physical simulation; I just put a gravity attractor at each finger and hope it worked. It didn't, the particles just either sucked into a tiny ball on one finger or sucked into a tiny ball in the middle of all fingers.

To cut the story a bit, I spent $50 on a different particle system only to ditch Unity in favour of creating my own particle system in AGK.

It was slow, tedious work trying to get the particles to behave how I wanted, and still I could not succeed. One day it finally hit me: bezier curves! Instead of trying to suck the particles to each finger point in turn in the hopes that they would form a circle, I would create a bezier curve between my fingers and suck the particles along that! Brilliant!

Except that now I had to write a bezier curve library. That was a bit of a maths nightmare, but it worked. The link is in my sig for all to use.

So after that all was good. It was horrifically slow work, but I got there. A month or so later, I realised I needed a GUI library. Nothing else did it for me, so I had to create my own: MarbleX. Once again, the link is in my sig.

Finally, the app was finished. It ran beautifully on PC, if a little slowly. I tested it for the first time (shutup!) on mobiles, and... 11fps with 50 particles...nooooooooooooo! So I set about converting the entire codebase (including bezier curve library and MarbleX) to C++. Noooooooooooooooooo! That took forever, but it worked. On PC, I could run 6000 particles at 60fps and on my Nexus 7 I could run 900-1000. Good enough. My S3 could do 1500-2000. Excellent.

I set up a merchant account and bought a dev account for Google Play, and started working out a description for the app. I uploaded the APK (we're just skipping over the trouble I had generating that APK). I realised I needed screenshots, so I started it up on my phone. I thought, "Hmm...I'm sure it looks better on my Nexus...why does it look so weird on here- OH." I had just realised the S3 wasn't displaying the particle trails. It was force-clearing the backbuffer! Noooooooooooooooo! This was even worse than before! This meant I had to find a new engine. Nooooooooooooooooo!

I started looking around, and decided pretty quickly on Cocos2D-X. I downloaded it, and almost as quickly dumped it again. It was horrid to use. Apparently very fast, but written by Chinese people who don't speak English very well, and...horrid.

I was stuck, until I finally found Gameplay3D. Perfect. Super easy to use, really fast, and ridiculously easy to compile for Android. I then spent the next week converting the code from AppGameKit to Gameplay3D. Took ages, and I had to write my own sprite manager, renderer and a whole depth-based render-queue system.

So. Technically this app is no longer AppGameKit, but it was originally written in AppGameKit and is identical to the G3D version, only it works on mobiles Screenshots and video:

The video is done! You can view the video on the Google Play Store (in a couple of hours when it updates), or you can watch it right here (now):

More screenshots on the store listings. Now available on Google Play and the Amazon Appstore!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aXeHeadGames.NeoParticle

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L4QK3MO/ref=mas_pm_NeoParticle

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 09:52
Would love to see a video of it in action. We usually just make our videos with Fraps and post them on youtube so they can be listed with the app. You'll have better success if you can show it off. I think the actual license for fraps to remove the watermark was $40. Too bad you couldn't find an alternative for the trailing with AGK.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 12:40
Thinking the same thing Naphier, they look superb and would be really interested in seeing it in action.

Heck, I'd make an asteroids shooter game just to showcase those

I am the one who knocks...
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 13:10
Quote: "Would love to see a video of it in action."

Sure! I'll do that now I didn't do it already because I forget sometimes that most people don't give a second thought to opening a video, whereas for me a single YouTube video can use up more than a day's worth of peak download.

Quote: "I think the actual license for fraps to remove the watermark was $40."

I already have Fraps for recording Minecraft

Quote: "Too bad you couldn't find an alternative for the trailing with AGK."

Yeah... Now I'm torn between AppGameKit and G3D for my next game. I now know G3D is really easy to use (for rendering, at least) and gives me the flexibility of C++ (AND the library is open-source, AND it's super easy to compile for Android, AND the resulting APK is smaller, more lightweight and uses only the permissions it needs). On the other hand, I know AppGameKit a lot better, it's faster to develop with, has easier file handling and a more straightforward approach to sprites, and I know I can use every aspect of it without trouble (as opposed to G3D, where, for example, I may struggle with its collision systems, etc.).

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 13:26 Edited at: 26th May 2014 13:27
Quote: "Thinking the same thing Naphier, they look superb and would be really interested in seeing it in action.

Heck, I'd make an asteroids shooter game just to showcase those"

What look superb? The screenshots?

What does an asteroids shooter have to do with NeoParticle....? *confused*

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 13:43
If my particles looked as pretty as that, I'd use them in more than one game... like a retro style shooter or one of those mad bullet-dodge shooters that only Asian gamers seem to be able to play.

I thought this was a separate particle system. To me it looks too pretty and took too much time to just feature in 1 game.

I am the one who knocks...
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 14:06 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2015 08:44
Quote: "If my particles looked as pretty as that, I'd use them in more than one game... like a retro style shooter or one of those mad bullet-dodge shooters that only Asian gamers seem to be able to play."

I see.... hmmm...

Quote: "I thought this was a separate particle system. To me it looks too pretty and took too much time to just feature in 1 game."

Haha thanks

No, not really a separate particle system, it's really just the game, although it is entirely (yes, a year and a half later, I realise there was a spelling mistake - "entire") my own. It resizes and colours the particles based on speed, and uses what I call a "glowmap" to multiply the widths and lighten the colours based on how many particles are stacked in that area. Pretty fast and looks great.

I hadn't thought about that fact that I'd created a huge particle system just for one game. Still, the particle system is the game, so I suppose I wasn't creating a particle system, I was creating a game.

I'll consider making a new game from it...interesting idea, thanks.

</div>
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2014 16:05
It's really quite fun to play with and runs great on my Samsung Galaxy S4. Really great work! I agree this system would be very interesting to see being used in a game.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2014 06:14 Edited at: 28th May 2014 07:01
Quote: "It's really quite fun to play with and runs great on my Samsung Galaxy S4. Really great work! I agree this system would be very interesting to see being used in a game."

Awesome! Thanks! Couple of questions.

Question 1: Do you find the settings button and the text to be too small on your screen? 'Cause I told a friend about it and he immediately bought it, and had trouble pressing the settings button on his S4.
Question 2: Did the auto-particle system seem to remove more particles than was necessary for the current framerate?

Anyway, the video is done! You can view the video on the Google Play Store (in a couple of hours when it updates), or you can watch it right here (now):

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2014 06:24
Man, that's some intense stuff!
Video looks great.

Your embed code in your post isn't working.
I think it is

Would be awesome to have this utilized in a game. Have you seen Beat Hazard?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2014 07:00 Edited at: 28th May 2014 07:03
Quote: "Man, that's some intense stuff!
Video looks great."

Thanks!

Quote: "Your embed code in your post isn't working."

It works on the beta forums. Hangon, I'll try yours and see if that works. Ok yes, that works, thank you

Quote: "Would be awesome to have this utilized in a game. Have you seen Beat Hazard?"

I'm running through some ideas in my mind. I hadn't seen Beat Hazard, but I've heard the name before and I just went and had a look. My brother may even own it, not sure.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2014 15:53
Quote: "Question 1: Do you find the settings button and the text to be too small on your screen? 'Cause I told a friend about it and he immediately bought it, and had trouble pressing the settings button on his S4.
Question 2: Did the auto-particle system seem to remove more particles than was necessary for the current framerate?
"

Question 1: No it seemed fine to me once I noticed it
Question 2: There are literally thousands of particles on my phone. Can't see any being removed.

Didn't see all those modes before, maybe a down arrow to indicate there are more options would make it more obvious?
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2014 16:45 Edited at: 8th Jun 2014 17:16
Quote: "No it seemed fine to me once I noticed it"

Hmm. Ok, then, I'll leave it as it is.

Quote: "There are literally thousands of particles on my phone. Can't see any being removed."

Great! Even so, I have problems with the system removing waaay too many particles on my phone, so I'm going to rewrite it so it's more reliable.

Quote: "Didn't see all those modes before, maybe a down arrow to indicate there are more options would make it more obvious?"

Umm... there's supposed to be a big finger image that indicates you can scroll down. I think it needs to pulse and/or be a lot bigger. It tends to go unnoticed, not helped by the fact that you only have to touch the screen once and it goes away Sure, it comes back next time, but people want to find the additional modes the first time around.

I'm not happy with the way the settings menu is laid out. It was fine to begin with. Because I created it on my PC, everything was a lot smaller and fit much better into the screen, and you could easily see what settings were available, but as soon as I started testing on mobile, I realised everything needed to be a LOT bigger to actual be readable and usable. Currently, you have to scroll for miles to get to all the settings, and it's not good. Gameplay 3D has a pretty good GUI built-in that would save me from having the write all the necessary features to make the current GUI better, so I'll look into using that.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2014 11:58
Looks really beautiful

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2014 06:27
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 4th Jun 2014 06:49
Video looks great!
Would you be interested in swapping installs and giving me some feedback on Hardest Math Ever Full?

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2014 08:08
Quote: "Video looks great!"

Thanks!

Quote: "Would you be interested in swapping installs and giving me some feedback on Hardest Math Ever Full?"

Yeah sure, why not I'll email you in a minute.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 21:40
Very nice indeed !
following this thread

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2014 16:49
Quote: "Very nice indeed !
following this thread "

Thanks! The first update will be out soon (I hope!) with great improvements to.... well, most stuff!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 08:53 Edited at: 12th Jun 2014 09:00
UPDATE!

FINALLY just released an update. It should appear in Google Play in the next couple of hours or so. I'm also making a new, better video to show off the new interface, but it takes time. For now, be aware the current video is outdated.

Changes:

1.1.7 - 12/06/2014 - The Late Update
- Redesigned settings interface, now much easier to navigate
- Can now use Back and Menu Android buttons to navigate menu
- Automode is now precalculated for far better results
- Settings are now saved automatically
- Lightning zaps now appear for all fingers and look better
- Hopefully some performance improvements
- Many other minor fixes and changes

1.0.0 - 25/05/2014 - Initial release.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 10:59 Edited at: 12th Jun 2014 11:00
Cool, look forward to it. Congrats on making it to position 13 in Top New Paid Games on Android! Quite the achievement!

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 13:58
Quote: "Cool, look forward to it."

Hope it improves the experience somewhat. There's still a lot of things I want to do with it, but.....you know, time and all that

Quote: "Congrats on making it to position 13 in Top New Paid Games on Android! Quite the achievement!"

Thanks! It's doing considerably better than I expected I'm not kidding myself, though. Once the first 30 days is up, it'll probably disappear into the depths of the Play Store

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 13:15 Edited at: 17th Jun 2014 13:24
If you have not yet voted, vote soon! Voting ends in under 17 hours! (19:04 Standard Mountain Time on June 17 2014)

You probably haven't heard of it, but these forums actually have a president. Currently it's Seppuku Arts, but that's soon to change, as over on the Geek Culture board there's been some stirrings. The whole thing is kinda pointless, so don't worry if you missed out, but it's also fun. So GO VOTE! And when I say that I mean vote for

Just go to this page and post "I vote for nonZero". Do it.

If you're really curious, vote first, then go to this page for the original post.

Also, nASA (nonZero, Presidential Candidate, and Dark Java Dude 64, Vice Presidential Candidate, are nASA) have a contact thread, where you can discuss policies.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Beautiful app! I'll probably buy it this weekend and can test it on a range of Androids to see how it does (Kindle HDX, Elipsis 7, TouchPad, and several phones and older tablets). Pity AppGameKit couldn't perform well enough for the production app--I've done that in the past too by prototyping apps in AGK/DBP before reluctantly having to go to another engine.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2014 02:21
Vote for Mr Valentine!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2014 04:20
Quote: "Beautiful app!"

Thanks!

Quote: "I'll probably buy it this weekend and can test it on a range of Androids to see how it does (Kindle HDX, Elipsis 7, TouchPad, and several phones and older tablets)."

That'd be awesome if you could test it on that many devices!

Quote: "Pity AppGameKit couldn't perform well enough for the production app--I've done that in the past too by prototyping apps in AGK/DBP before reluctantly having to go to another engine."

Well, probably, it would have been fine in AGKv2, but I simply didn't have any money. Admittedly, it would have run slightly slower, but would have been far easier to program, me thinks.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I bought this yesterday and played around with it on three tablets (haven't tried phones yet). It's very cool. However the auto calculation seems flawed on two of the three devices. Both my HP TouchPad and Ellipsis 7 only enable 5 particles by default. The Ellipsis 7 is a quad core 1.2GHz w/ 1GB RAM and 720p+ display. If I disable the auto setting and manually adjust the amount it can easily show 4000-5000 without noticeable lag. The TouchPad can display around 1000 before it starts to lag a bit.

The Kindle Fire HDX is a beast of a machine and has no issues even at 10,000 particles! By default it had enabled around 4,800 but I still saw no lag at 10,000. On that note, consider publishing this to Amazon as you can upload the same APK as you do with Android and opens up the market much more. Anyone with Kindles or any number of other tablets that don't support Google Play can currently only obtain it via rooting and other hackery. Whereas having it on the Amazon Market allows anyone with that app to find and install it.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2014 07:28
Quote: "I bought this yesterday and played around with it on three tablets (haven't tried phones yet). It's very cool."

Awesome, thanks!

Quote: "However the auto calculation seems flawed on two of the three devices. Both my HP TouchPad and Ellipsis 7 only enable 5 particles by default."

Hmm, I thought this happened once during testing on my Nexus 7, but it stopped doing that and I never found the cause. I'll have to examine the code more carefully. Err- Oh, I wonder... could you start it up on your TouchPad or Ellipsis 7, turn on Display FPS and set the particle count to 5, please? Then tell me what framerate you get. Some devices limit the framerate to 30, which would stuff up the calculations.

I'll add code that detects if the auto-calculation resulted in only 5 particles, and ask the user if they would like to recalculate using a 30fps mode. Or something along those lines.

Quote: "If I disable the auto setting and manually adjust the amount it can easily show 4000-5000 without noticeable lag."

Wow, that's impressive. I have no devices (other than my PC) that can handle that many particles.

Quote: "The Kindle Fire HDX is a beast of a machine and has no issues even at 10,000 particles!"

Wow. Wow!! That's incredible! I never thought any mobile device could handle that many! And with a denser-than-1080p screen I'll bet it looks spectacular! So jealous

Quote: "On that note, consider publishing this to Amazon as you can upload the same APK as you do with Android and opens up the market much more."

It hadn't even crossed my mind that there might be other Android-based stores! What a brilliant idea! Thank you! I just... hadn't thought of that. I'm looking into it right this second!

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2014 10:51
Just to let you know, I'm having the same issue on my Huawei Ascend Y201, although it starts getting laggy about 500 Particles.

You might find these useful as well:
http://appflood.com/blog/ten-alternative-android-app-stores
http://www.onepf.org/appstores/

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2014 15:27
Quote: "Just to let you know, I'm having the same issue on my Huawei Ascend Y201"

Well I would assume that that phone would be vsynced to 30fps. Definitely have to see how it goes with the new calculation mode.

Quote: "You might find these useful as well"

Awesome, thanks! Those are really useful Can't believe I didn't think about other non-Play Android stores!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2014 16:52 Edited at: 19th Jun 2014 16:54
Update!

Some people had issues when their devices were limited to 30fps (as a lot of older/cheaper Android devices are), so hopefully this update will solve those problems. The update should show up on your devices within a few hours.

Changes:

1.1.8 - 19/06/2014 - The Tiny Update
- Auto calculate should now work on older devices, or those with weak GPUs (so you should get more than 5 particles by default )

1.1.7 - 12/06/2014 - The Late Update
- Redesigned settings interface, now much easier to navigate
- Can now use Back and Menu Android buttons to navigate menu
- Automode is now precalculated for far better results
- Settings are now saved automatically
- Lightning zaps now appear for all fingers and look better
- Hopefully some performance improvements
- Many other minor fixes and changes

1.0.0 - 25/05/2014 - Initial release.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
The TouchPad is fixed at 30 FPS it seems, the Ellipsis supports 60 FPS. I tried the update and it did the "Recalculating at 30 FPS" and then calculated 905 particles.

I understand better now with the FPS why the limits are as they are--at ~1000 particles the ellipsis drops to 30-40 FPS, and at higher than that it dips below 30 FPS so it may not be as smooth then with more particles.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2014 03:31
Quote: "I understand better now with the FPS why the limits are as they are--at ~1000 particles the ellipsis drops to 30-40 FPS, and at higher than that it dips below 30 FPS so it may not be as smooth then with more particles."

Probably, as I suspected, your Ellipsis has a poor (or non-existent) GPU and the rendering itself is taking the FPS below 60. This would cause the system to remove particles right down to the minimum of 5 as it desperately tries to get the framerate above 55fps. That or some part of the code is pushing the limits of the slower-than-average CPU so much that even at 5 particles it still can't reach 60fps. Either way, the new "recalculating" mode will help with that, as it stops targeting 60fps and instead targets 30fps.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
That's good personally I think 30 FPS works equally well for this app to the untrained eye! I checked the Kindle HDX with framerate visible and at 5,000 particles I get a steady 60 FPS, at 10,000 it drops to 30. Using more than one finger also drops it quite a bit but it's still perfectly usable especially at 5,000.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2014 05:07
Quote: "That's good personally I think 30 FPS works equally well for this app to the untrained eye! I checked the Kindle HDX with framerate visible and at 5,000 particles I get a steady 60 FPS, at 10,000 it drops to 30. Using more than one finger also drops it quite a bit but it's still perfectly usable especially at 5,000."

Goodo

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2014 17:24
Hooray! Now available on the Amazon Appstore as well!

Now available on:

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2014 17:51
I get similar results, 55-60fps with 10000 and 27-30fps for 5000 on Samsung Galaxy S4.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 12:32 Edited at: 19th Aug 2014 12:33
So yes, I AM going to spam most of the threads I have created recently with a message (I don't post very much at all, so don't panic, this will not be a habit):

VOTE FOR RTA! The voting is down the bottom of the page and does not require a login.

Rush To Adventure is an awesome retro Zelda-style 2D platformer made with AppGameKit that's already doing really well on Android mobile devices and Ouya. It's created by Digital Awakening, who has put a huge amount of work into this game; it's well worth checking out and VOTING FOR. Go. Now. Vote for RTA!

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 15:12
Thanks Clonkex

I need all the help I can get. Super Renegade Response is killing this competition right now!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:57:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:57:01