Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Smilies, Emoticons & Icons SUBMISSIONS Thread [01]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2014 17:20 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2014 19:22
Smilies/Emoticons/Icons Submission Thread #1

A thread to post your own smilies/emoticons/icons, henceforth referred to as icons.

Please read the rules before posting. Please just ignore anyone/troll who posts non-constructive comments, it's only a reflection on their own childishness. Remember the objective here is to be able to add to our collection of forum icons without linking to external sources.

Submissions:
Icon:
Link: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=2526252
Author: Benjamin (Seditious) More Info...

Icon:
Link: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=2526155
Author: Clonkex More Info...

Icon:
Link: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=2527465
Author: nonZero More Info...

Preamble (optional read):

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" -- Wise Man
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2014 17:20 Edited at: 8th Jul 2014 00:38
The Rules
There are now less than 1020 words of rules and the average adult reads 250 to 300 words per minute. So go put the kettle on, come back and read the rules, then go and make a cup of tea/coffee/hot chocolate/other. No excuse.

How To Submit Icons (read):

Thread Rules:

Rules Regarding Comments:

Submission Rules:

Free drawing software list

Now let the fun begin.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2014 19:01
Wow thanks for the spam!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 1st Jul 2014 21:02 Edited at: 1st Jul 2014 21:05
nonZero wrote: "[For Mac] > Got nothing, haaalp Yodaman, Indicium or and other Mackers out there."

Haha, glad to help!

For Mac users, GIMP is also a great asset, but there is an awesome image editor out there called PixelMator which costs $30 and has a bit more native functionality and is more on-par with PhotoShop. Definitely recommend that.

Seditious wrote: "Wow thanks for the spam!"

Eh, what's that? How exactly is this spam now?

EDIT: Oh, I think I see what you're saying, you're talking about the soon-to-be influx of images on this forum.

Come check out my new website!
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "[For Mac] > Got nothing, haaalp Yodaman, Indicium or and other Mackers out ther"

People know me!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 2nd Jul 2014 06:17

Thanks for the mention, glad to see action

I agree with mention of dead links, it gets ever more annoying when a link dies on the same day the post was made... very frustrating...

Quote: " - We will have a separate thread that I'll link to later which will
be for posting things besides icons."

happy to hear this as plans to make witty images are in the works too!

Quote: " > You must attribute the original source for images you don't own the
copyright to. Once permission has been granted"

Quote: "Sadly the upload
system for the forums doesn't treat SVGs as images in spite of the IMG
tags working perfectly on SVG files."

These work on the classic forum already?

Quote: "We don't need five
different smiling faces in only slightly different styles."

Not offended but quite amused >.<

Glad to see action, got very bored of the icons and their selection method of a fly-out, ended up using just a hand full of designs, Shall post some SVG variants here when designs are further down the line... Good job nonZero, you nailed the rules 90%! [Pretty sure there is room for some more unforeseen guidelines!, in future of course!]

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2014 21:08
@Benjamin:
Quote: "Wow thanks for the spam!"

Ditto.
In all seriousness, see @All.

@Yodaman:
Thanks, will edit the rules post tomorrow (I have to do it with a texts editor and paste it here or the alignment gets killed.

@MrV:
Quote: "
Quote: " > You must attribute the original source for images you don't own the
copyright to. Once permission has been granted"
"

Redundancy error: This was already declared above:
Quote: "
> You may not use someone else's images without permission.

> You must attribute the original source for images you don't own the
copyright to.

"

^Always parse the text in full
Quote: "...plans to make witty images are in the works too!"

I look forward to it...so long as they do not resemble the 1950's-style line-art used in adverts that took over social networks.
Quote: "Not offended but quite amused >.<"

Good, it wasn't meant offensively. It was to help prevent duplicates with little to no variance.

@All:
To reiterate, the purpose of this thread is to try and create a standardised place for icons so that they are internally-stored, not scattered about various boards/threads and QC-checked. In other words it is an attempt at trying to reduce spam, reduce "missing image" alike errors which will indubitably arise from using icons from millions of different sites and prevent each page having to connect to a hundred different servers. I'm doing this mainly for the sake of everyone else since I only enable images when it's to specifically view something someone posted.

FYI, this thread was supposed to be just for submissions. I had a "sister" for comments. But that time is passed. So, we'll have just one and I'll have to do some bowing and scraping to get the sister deleted. So, with dues consideration, let's try to keep it at least on topic. Thanks everyone. Here's to this not being a complete waste of time.

"I was in nASA before it was cool" -- Original nASA Members (nonZero, DJD and TheComet)
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2014 21:27
Petition to have a collection of meme smileys.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2014 03:05 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2014 08:34
I haven't read the rules but I think this would be a good smiley:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2014 03:32 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2014 11:32
Just color the eyes red, and you'll be good to go.

Edit Whoa, is Jeku on post mod? The board say the latest post in this thread is by him, and yet his post appears not. Things are getting tense in the mod lounge, folks.

Flash is falling out of... Flashion.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2014 20:35 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2014 22:56
Quote: "I haven't read the rules but I think this would be a good smiley:"

Quote: "Wow thanks for the spam!"

Ditto again.

"I was in nASA before it was cool" -- Original nASA Members (nonZero, DJD and TheComet)
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2014 23:35

You frighten me.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2014 03:31
Quote: "Whoa, is Jeku on post mod? The board say the latest post in this thread is by him, and yet his post appears not. Things are getting tense in the mod lounge, folks."

Haha if I ever get on post mod here, it will probably be the last you hear from me What it was is that I posted in here asking why there's two threads for this topic, then I looked in the other thread and noticed you already apologized for the other thread. Since nobody replied to me in that short time I just deleted my post... I guess that makes me appear to be in post mod

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jul 2014 04:58 Edited at: 6th Jul 2014 04:59
Jeku wrote: "Haha if I ever get on post mod here, it will probably be the last you hear from me What it was is that I posted in here asking why there's two threads for this topic, then I looked in the other thread and noticed you already apologized for the other thread. Since nobody replied to me in that short time I just deleted my post... I guess that makes me appear to be in post mod"

I CALL HAX! HAXZ!!

Seditious wrote: "I haven't read the rules but I think this would be a good smiley: [terrifying image]"

I... this was my face:

Is that an inverted image of Anne Hathaway?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 03:24 Edited at: 7th Jul 2014 03:25

Guys, seriously?! Can none of you READ?

Quote: "Please read the rules before posting."

I came here, read the rules, then scrolled down, expecting to find neat lists of custom smileys. I'm very disappointed in all of you. I thought the people on this forum had the sense to read the rules BEFORE posting. Our lovely President went to a lot of effort to create this thread, and you lot come in here and post before reading the rules?! It's just rude. /rant

------------------------------------------------------

Name: Not Impressed
Purpose: -___-
Copyright: Created by Clonkex from the standard TGC happy face
Notes: Wanted a smiley like this for a very long time, just happens to be my face right now as well.
Icon:

Attachments

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 07:32
Quote: "I thought the people on this forum had the sense to read the rules BEFORE posting."

Um, if somebody asks me a question, I'll answer it. I don't care what thread I'm in

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 07:44
Gee, are we on a bit of a high horse there, Clonkex?

My first post in this thread was a direct response to nonZero, asking me a direct question. I also responded to Seditious, then I responded to Jeku just for the lolz.

I seriously hope you're just joking and we're just failing to see the sarcasm.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 07:44 Edited at: 7th Jul 2014 07:47
Aye, it's my fault. I will admit, I did indeed fail to read the rules before I posted.

To be fair, in the rules, nonZero says this:
Quote: "Only post icons. Nothing else. No comments, no questions, nothing. We are all guilty of digression, even me. This is not The Posting Competition."
We all owe him an apology for not reading that, and hence carelessly hijacking the thread that he sacrificed his time and effort to create for the betterment of the forum.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 07:56
Quote: " I will admit, I did indeed fail to read the rules before I posted."

You're the Forum Vice President and forgot to read the rules your Forum President provided?

But in all seriousness, yes, let's get this thread back on topic. I'm not talented enough to draw my own smilies, but I can certainly keep tabs and see what's to come (if anything)!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 12:43
Get a grip guys please. If this turns into a moderating hassle then we'll just lock it. We don't need another posting competition thread or anymore forum bloat.

I am the one who knocks...
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 13:18 Edited at: 7th Jul 2014 13:31
Quote: "Um, if somebody asks me a question, I'll answer it. I don't care what thread I'm in"

Maybe that's reasonable, but nZ did say any non-submission posts should be put in the sister thread (speaking of which, where is the link, nZ?).

Quote: "Gee, are we on a bit of a high horse there, Clonkex?"

Yes, indeed I was I have climbed down now and slapped the horse and I hope never to see him again. In my defence, I think I may have a had a few too many gummy bears that night.

Quote: "I seriously hope you're just joking and we're just failing to see the sarcasm."

No... no, I wasn't joking I was quite serious, but I guess I was just annoyed that no one read the rules that nZ had spent a lot of time putting together. As I say, too many gummy bears

EDIT: Wait, after re-reading what I wrote, I remember it was partially a joke (phew, I didn't think I was THAT horrid). Not quite serious. The part about me being disappointed was definitely a joke. Even so, the next paragraph still applies.

So... I apologise to everyone here. What I said was uncalled for and unnecessary I don't often rant like that, but just once in a while something will annoy me past breaking point.

For the record, my submission was quite serious. I have wanted a smiley just like that for a long time and I excel at small-scale pixelart (even if I do say so myself). It's just a darn shame I can't draw like Simon Tofield.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 22:11
Just curious--would it be a big hassle for a mod to delete all of these silly posts, so this thread can start over? I really like and support the idea that nonZero is trying to carry out, but at this rate, this thread has no chance of going where it was intended.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 23:05
Quote: "Just curious--would it be a big hassle for a mod to delete all of these silly posts, so this thread can start over? I really like and support the idea that nonZero is trying to carry out, but at this rate, this thread has no chance of going where it was intended."

I second this motion!

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2014 00:22 Edited at: 8th Jul 2014 01:00
@Clonkex:
Firstly, thank you very much for your vehement defence of me and this thread's original principle. I know you meant well and the fact that someone actually bothered to read the rules has illuminated my somewhat dim day (long story, will rant in The Posting Competition later, tomorrow perhaps).
I am changing the rules since this thread has changed. I actually requested a delete for the sister thread because of how quickly this filled with spam. I really hoped for a submissions-only thread, but, as I mentioned in a previous post, “that time is now passed” (I really did say that, see). Such is life, you adapt and move on.

On a lighter note, I also thank you for your submission! Let this mark a sensible beginning.

@Benjamin:

“You're doing it wrong”. Here you go:
Name: Scary Frenchness
Purpose: To be Benjaminesque
Copyright: Created by Benjamin from an unknown source
Notes: Wanted to scare Easter Bunny, wanted an avater, wanted to troll nonZero's thread.
Icon:
Link: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=2526252

@All

Quote: "Just curious--would it be a big hassle for a mod to delete all of these silly posts, so this thread can start over? I really like and support the idea that nonZero is trying to carry out, but at this rate, this thread has no chance of going where it was intended."

DJD (and all who agree): I appreciate the sentiment, but the bowl can be glued back together but it's still not the same bowl. What's done is done. Let's just move on now.

Okay, where to begin. Please reread the rules after 23h59 07 June 2014 as I'm redoing them. I apologise for trying to run a tight ship when I, myself, (as opposed to “I, Obama”?) am such a loony person. Anyways, rules updated, please stop fighting, post some stuff, blah, blah blah...
Cool, let's not have a thread lock and all move on and get serious, okay? Let's remember that the fate of the forums rests in your hands.
“Help me, forum people. You're my only hope!” -- Princess nZ

Attachments

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2014 03:18
Oh cool you added it, thanks!
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2014 06:33
Quote: "What's done is done. Let's just move on now."

Good idea

I kinda feel sorry for you guys, nZ and DJD64; you don't seem have gotten off to very good start.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2014 06:55
Ima take this over to the posting comp. ^^

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 19:20 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2014 19:22
And my attempt at a smiley; one I've always wanted.

Name: Monocle (My Good Sir v1)
Purpose: To be Good
Attribution: Used TGC forum smiley for a template

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 12:31:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 12:31:00