Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / DarkSteamworks - Steam API Plugin

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2014 05:31 Edited at: 7th Nov 2014 03:36

DarkSteamworks is a plugin for DarkBASIC Professional, that allows you to access and use the Steam API.
This means that if you get your game on Steam, you will have access to Steam achievements and statistics.
Additionally, I plan to add Steam Cloud and Workshop support via updates.

This plugin is complete, and documentation is in progress.

View Documentation Online
Download v1.3 Trial (7 November 2014)
Based on latest Steamworks SDK (v1.30)

The trial will last 10 minutes, after which all commands will cease to function.

Special Thanks:
Mnemonic - For the Wintermute Engine Steam plugin, used as a reference for this plugin
Paril - Huge amount of help with C++, as I was still new to the language when I started this
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2014 18:04
Nice work How much do you plan to charge?

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2014 18:06
Not sure, I'm still deciding on that.

Probably around the $5 range.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
It'd be so cool to have the overlay in our games I've been working in just AppGameKit for some time now though

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2014 16:24
sounds like an interesting plugin. not sure how useful it will be since the likely hood of getting any DBP game approved for steam is not very high at all.
saying that, it it is in the $5 range, then you can expect a customer here.

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
If I could ever come up with a game idea worthy of getting it up to Steam standards, a $5 Steam DLL would not be out of the budget.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 5th Aug 2014 12:21
Hmm, can you do this for DBPro too?

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 03:26
Thanks for the kind words guys, and it looks like $5 will most likely be the price after all.

Quote: "Hmm, can you do this for DBPro too?"

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, this plugin is designed for DBPro, if that's what you're asking :p
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 11:40
Huh, I thought it was for AppGameKit lol

Ah takes one mention for that to happen, I must be tired 😫

Cool, yeah if this can work with All the features then that is cool!

Any ETA on release?

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 12:33
I'm planning to sell this through TGC, so there isn't any real ETA just yet, at the moment all you can use is the trial posted in the OP. If you need the full plugin right now, then that can be negotiated through private messaging or email.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 12:53
I don't think TGC would put it through at $5, likely £10+vat at minimum... I wish those of us who have spent half a grand would get some discounts lol

I would rather pay you the higher rate and get the download through TGC and then I have access to it easily as well as updates

One thing I would really appreciate all new plugin makers to do, is submit the source code to TGC for future usage so that they can patch broken features or issues or updates if the developer has disappeared, I would expect myself to do that as well, once I figure out how to make a plugin that is

[Could I ask you to help me with that?]

But yeah, whether I use Steam or not I would probably buy this to add to my extensive DBPro Paid Plug-In list I like to support TGC where I can... I even helped out at last years Play Expo which I am wondering if they are going to be there again this year too...

I think I deserve a TGC Minion T-Shirt ^^ or a badge at least >.<

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 12:59
Funnily enough, I actually sent TGC the code (which is now outdated, and buggy in comparison) a while ago, since I'm pretty sure they were considering using it in FPSC Reloaded.
And sure, hit me up via email and I'll send you an example VC++ project with some info whenever I can.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 13:03 Edited at: 6th Aug 2014 13:09
Quote: "
And sure, hit me up via email and I'll send you an example VC++ project with some info whenever I can. "

You should have something in a few minutes, thanks!

EDIT

Quote: "Funnily enough, I actually sent TGC the code (which is now outdated, and buggy in comparison) a while ago, since I'm pretty sure they were considering using it in FPSC Reloaded."

Hehehehe, that would help FPSC:R a lot! as there is already an FPSC:C game on Steam now...

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 13:11
Quote: "as there is already an FPSC:C game on Steam now..."

And guess who programmed the Steam API integration for it? :p
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 13:19
Quote: "And guess who programmed the Steam API integration for it? :p "

[ looks to the left, looks to the right... ]

Could it be YOU!

EPIC!

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 13:39

Also, replied with the example project.
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2014 20:35
Hi, i might be interested in purchasing this dll if the game i am developing will be accepted on steam, but, can you explain how can i use this dll to fit my game on steam? I mean, i have the exe with all the media and stuff (later i will change the directory to the steam one obviously), how do i need to change my code to be played on steam? Is your dll fully developed and working right now or is still a beta?
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 00:49 Edited at: 27th Oct 2014 00:49
I'm interested in this. I'll be following progress. Good luck!

Regards Sph!nx
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 02:25
Sorry for the late replies guys, I've been on a holiday to Hawaii :p

Quote: "Hi, i might be interested in purchasing this dll if the game i am developing will be accepted on steam, but, can you explain how can i use this dll to fit my game on steam? I mean, i have the exe with all the media and stuff (later i will change the directory to the steam one obviously), how do i need to change my code to be played on steam? Is your dll fully developed and working right now or is still a beta?"

At its simplest, to implement the DLL you only really need to call "STEAM INIT" at the start of your game/program, and then call "STEAM RUN CALLBACKS" every frame. The DLL is essentially fully developed for its current featureset, although I do plan to add other features such as Steam Cloud. Do note however that one non-essential function is bugged and will crash your game: STEAM GET ACHIEVEMENT

At the moment, the DLL is not being sold so instead you can just contact me via email and I can do a deal with you (basically email me and you'll get it free :p)

Quote: "I'm interested in this. I'll be following progress. Good luck!"

Thanks!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 03:53
Umm I cannot remember if I emailed you or got feedback lol

That non-essential element I believe is an essential part of being on STEAM...

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 04:18
The purpose of STEAM GET ACHIEVEMENT is to merely return an achievement's ID as a string, which is something you would already know as a developer on Steam, so it really isn't essential :p
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 04:47
So the only think i need to add on my exe to publish it to steam is these 2 commands? I really do not care for the momeny about achievements and stuff i only need to get worked on steam, i am only worried about that because i can program in darkbasic pro but not in c++ to develop the part that is required to put it on steam.
So with my game + this steam api i do not need anything else to publish my game on steam? (obviously once accepted)
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 04:52
Basically yes, just those two commands. You might also want to use STEAM RESET before the code that closes your game/program too if you want to be efficient.

Do note however, that you dont actually need to have the Steam API in your game for it to be allowed on Steam, it is entirely optional.
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 03:39
Version 1.3 released. See link in first post.

* Fixed crash when using the "STEAM GET ACHIEVEMENT" function
* STEAM GET STAT FLOAT will now work correctly

This should be a completely stable release, all that's left to do now
is to add features such as Steam Cloud and Steam Workshop.
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2015 06:28
Oh gawd, I just found this thread... New shiny to play with! Damn you TZK!!!

Help build an online DarkBASIC Professional help archive.
DarkBasic Help Wikia
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2015 10:48
Quote: "Oh gawd, I just found this thread... New shiny to play with! Damn you TZK!!!"

Haha, be sure to let me know if you ever release a game with this, I'd love to check it out!
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2015 17:20 Edited at: 26th Jul 2015 19:06
ok, so yeah, this is what I was looking for.
is this available?
I will buy it right now.

you know you could sell something like this on itch.io and skip TGC altogether (or even include them if you want)

I got my AppGameKit game thru greenlight, but AppGameKit totally does not support steam, so I am thinking I can re-write the game in DBP, and use this plugin to FINALLY get my game up on steam.

it's been a while since I used DBP, but it was my favorite for almost a decade...

[edit]
so it seems this was "discontinued"... WHY?! is there some legal or technical problem? Steam is the future (it's actually the present, but I live in the past, so it's the future to me, but still)

[edit 2]
I would like the opportunity to talk to you directly.
my email is
saunders
at
Hotmail
dot
com

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 09:30
DarkSteamworks was discontinued because I've since redone the plugin from the ground up. It is now a 100% free and open source plugin called "SteamPlugin".

You can get the source here, and a compiled build here

Although, if for some reason you want to use the original DarkSteamworks, then the full version can be obtained here
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 18:59
really awesome man, thanks

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 19:10
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2015 10:58
Wow! I came back to this thread to see if the plugin had gone on sale yet and am amazed to find it for free.

Thank you for your hard work and generosity, The Zombie Killer, it's greatly appreciated.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:34:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:34:50