Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK 2.0 Alpha 4

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 02:07 Edited at: 13th Aug 2014 20:31
I've uploaded a new version of AppGameKit 2.0 to the downloads area with the following changes

This version has a lot of new things that need checking so I recommend all version 2 users download it and give it a go, it has been tested on XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.1. The IDE doesn't work on Mac yet but hopefully we can port it over soon.

All the tier 1 projects have been upgraded to the new IDE project format (.agk), and they are now installed in your user folder (e.g. C:\Users\Me\AGK Projects) so it is UAC friendly. The IDE includes an import option in the project menu to convert your own projects to the new format, it will automatically save the new .agk file in the same place as the old project file. Right click on files in the project side bar to add and remove them from projects.

The Android interpreter is on the Google Play store here or you can side load the version in the installer folder Players/Android. The online APK builder now works with this version. iOS users will have to compile the intepreter_ios project in XCode as usual. I accidentally included an old Mac interpreter in the build so I've added it as a separate download. For now I've left Blackberry out, if anyone is still using it can you say here so I can get an idea of how high a priority it should be.

With so many changes I've no doubt missed a few things so let me know here and I'll get them fixed.

Edit: Known issues
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 02:56 Edited at: 12th Aug 2014 03:07
awesome.... quick question.... are vertex/pixel shaders working again?

i realy wanna try one with my hockey game.

I use to be heavy in bb dev but not anymore.... they are not planning any new tablets as far as i can see so id drop blackberry completely. I find the playbooks curently on the market fairly slow at processing.

Android/ouya, ios, mac,winpc should be the focus in my opinion.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 03:03
Oooh, Awesome, tagging in to keep up to date with the latest!

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 03:07
Quote: "are vertex/pixel shaders working again?"

They should, I didn't run into any errors with them during testing.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 03:20
nope.... vertex shader didnt go.

see error message------------------------------------------>

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 03:26
It says there is an error inside the shader, can you share the shader code?
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 03:30 Edited at: 12th Aug 2014 03:36
its just a random shader i grabbed from the forums here to try.

but here it is. I wish i knew more about shaders but i dont know anything about them except they are cool! lol...

Attachments

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 03:39
In media/vertex.vs the last line tries to assign a float to a vec2, replacing it with this will fix it

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 04:39
ok i fixed that and now get an error with the pixel.ps file.... i probably should not bug you to help me with this as i know your probably busy. I will dig around on the forums to see if there are other shaders available to try.

thanks paul for the update and this is the first time trying the new ide....everything is looking great!

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 04:49
Great! Almost enough for prompt me to purchase V2 But I'll still probably wait until it's finished (depending if I'm still into app dev then)

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 05:22 Edited at: 12th Aug 2014 05:53
im not familiar with the new ide...but it will not compile my code any more with this update.

i get an error with this line... whats wrong with it as it worked fine on the old compiler?

i get the error message in the compiler

edit: i fixed it. you use to be able to have a variable name the same as an array name...lol clumsy code ...my fault!

edit: holly cow! This ide is awesome!!! its finding errors i didnt even know i had and somehow still managed to run.
Im very excited to start using this new ide!!!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 05:31 Edited at: 12th Aug 2014 05:36

The issues I faced... I suppose a video makes things clearer...

I removed any previous copy and installed R4...

Windows 8.1 Pro
Surface Pro 2

EDIT

can view it here if not using the BETA forum
Video is 22.3MB
http://www.akaneaya.com/tgcforum/VIDEOS/AGKV2VIDEOS/RELEASE4ISSUES/

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The issues I faced... I suppose a video makes things clearer..."

Try going to the "Project" drop down menu and click "Open..." or "New...".

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 06:04
Quote: "Try going to the "Project" drop down menu and click "Open..." or "New..."."

What!? did you even see the video?

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Sweet. It will be a bit before I can download and test, but is Tier 2 stuff also generally working in this release? Specifically Visual Studio--is VS2010 the supported IDE in Tier 2 Windows dev?
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What!? did you even see the video?"

Yeah, you were hitting the big "Open" and "New" buttons, but those are "Open File" and "New File" buttons not "Open Project" and "New Project" buttons . To open a project you need to go under the "Project" menu on the tool bar and hit "Open" or "New". It's kind of confusing.

Sean

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 06:23 Edited at: 12th Aug 2014 06:26
I know what you mean, but it is the same thing, and same result [ Just tried it to be sure I already tried it before the video ]

I guess Paul is in AppGameKit Dream Land so we will have to wait until tomorrow UK time for any feedback on that issue...

If anybody else running Windows 8.1/Pro can download the R4 Alpha and confirm if they have the same issue I think it would help the team a lot...

Let's try to keep this development focussed

EDIT

xCept "\Projects\Native\Windows_VS2010" Does this answer the question? or did you mean something else?

Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
I am interested in blackberry support
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 12:39
Sweet

I do need the Ouya one click apk to work before I make the move. They will be at Pax and I will do as much as I can before then. And will be 100% focused on Ouya.

yamyam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 14:55
I had the same problem as MrValentine, couldnt work out how to compile and run a project, by clicking the big NEW button, followed Hockykids advice and got it working that way, seems strange to have to go that route but it works.

One problem Mr Johnston is when i close the running program on my PC with the X in the corner, the IDE continues to run the program, not sure if thats a bug or settings.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 14:58
The buttons work fine for me, just the compiler fails on every level... yamyam did you get it to compile?

yamyam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 15:22
Quote: "The buttons work fine for me, just the compiler fails on every level... yamyam did you get it to compile?"

The project i tried.
loaded from Project,Open,Version1,Physics,Box2d

rem out a couple of lines and re-compile and it works fine.

The only issue i had was the IDE continues to be in run mode when the programs closed.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 15:27
Did you leave a previous edition on? or fresh install?

None of the V2 work...

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 15:45
The buttons should remain disabled until you open a project, that is a bug. But once you open a project you should be able to compile and run it on Windows 8.1, I've attached a video of it working. Ignoring the toolbar for a minute, do the build menu options not work either?

Quote: "The only issue i had was the IDE continues to be in run mode when the programs closed."

That is because it is still broadcasting to any potential devices, you can turn off broadcasting in the build menu.

Quote: "is Tier 2 stuff also generally working in this release?"

All the tier 2 templates were tested and worked here, let me know if you have any problems.

Attachments

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 16:00
Ahh Hockeykid, after some sleep and seeing Paul's response I went back and it now works...

Paul you must sit in the naughty corner for not making that known in an update ...

Quote: "To open a project you need to go under the "Project" menu on the tool bar "

Hockeykid this was not so clear to me until right now if you said Press ALT+P I would have got it straight away, or if you mentioned the 'file tool bar' tool bar to me is one of the floating bars, 'Desktop Publishing'

Anyway, at least Paul now knows to make mention of this in future documentation, as anybody from DBPro or AGKV1 [As if Me] would first try to use the original methods... I guess this new IDE will bring about some funnies

I actually tried right clicking on main.agc after adding it and clicking Add to project, and then after several error messages... which are not clear... I looked at Project in the menu bar and it clicked on me...

@Paul perhaps add a message to that error stating, 'click Project in the menu bar to create a new project to add this file to a project' or something like that...

Glad we got that resolved!

Thanks all...

Now I can probably start studying AGK... before all the new flashy stuff gets added, should take a week...

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 16:20
Good to hear you got it sorted, you're right it should be clearer. I think if people have to resort to documentation for the IDE then I have failed at designing a good interface! so I've added tool tips on the disabled buttons to say that a project needs to be opened to enable them (and fixed them so they are disabled at the right time). I've also modified the error message you mentioned. Thanks.
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 16:26 Edited at: 12th Aug 2014 16:46
I get the following error when trying to compile code that previously worked in agk10823b
cant seem to find how to save entire project.

Quote: "Running C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\IDE\Compiler\AGKCompiler.exe (in directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\AGK\Projects\Basic\placement editor)
error: Invalid path for CopyFile, must not end in a forward or backward slash
Compilation failed."

Edit: copied the file for the project to the new location ( C:\Users\Me\AGK Projects)and it now compiles correctly.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 16:36
@Paul, thanks

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 16:50
Quote: "I get the following error when trying to compile code"

At first I was sure that error shouldn't be possible, then I noticed the out of bounds memory access, I'm surprised it worked as long as it did. The error should be random, unless your project folder (i.e. "placement editor") is longer than 21 characters in which case the error should never appear. I'll get that fixed for the next version. Thanks.
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 17:06
Great news! Can't wait to try this out. Will I be able to install this alongside the old IDE? Also, might I suggest you post the news and change log on Kickstarter? I'm not sure how many backers visit this forum frequently and this is a mayor milestone. Might make a lot of people happy
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 17:14
Quote: "Will I be able to install this alongside the old IDE?"

Yes, although the new IDE will setup file associations for .agc files.

Quote: "might I suggest you post the news and change log on Kickstarter?"

Rick is back on Thursday, I'll ask him to post it as soon as possible.
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 17:34
Thanks Paul! I appreciate all the hard work.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
are there any bug fixes to the actual T2 libs in this release?

I think you can forget about Blackberry. They are phasing out their store and replacing it with the Amazon App store!
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 19:19
Thanks Paul!

Happy to report that the new Geany-based system works well on Mac OS through Crossover (unlike the previous system.) So, while I'm chuffed to bits that the new IDE / build tools will be Mac native, this is awesome in the meantime!
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Could we have the default syntax highlighting look like what we're used to? This default is Anyways thanks for the update! I'll have to look into it more later

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 21:58
Quote: "are there any bug fixes to the actual T2 libs in this release?"

Anything that doesn't mention the IDE or Compiler in the change log applies to both Tier 1 and Tier 2.

Quote: "Could we have the default syntax highlighting look like what we're used to?"

The only thing I added was the purple for the commands, but you can change it in IDE\Editor\data\filetypes.agk open it in wordpad and change "word3=0x9900ad" to some other color in the format 0xRRGGBB. I think Geany has some way to change color schemes but I didn't get to looking at that.
Uechi
Years of Service
User Offline
my download stops after getting to 99% - any suggestions?
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 01:08 Edited at: 13th Aug 2014 01:08
Quote: "my download stops after getting to 99% - any suggestions? "

I have the same problem. When I try to download again it say the page can not be found.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 01:12
Which browser are you using? works fine in IE, and possibly FireFox as that is what Paul uses

Uechi
Years of Service
User Offline
I ran it under IE and Chrome and Firefox. My virus protection gives me the following which may be why it stops at 99% and 1 second to go:

Infection blocked

URLhxxp://www.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_download_content.php?product=2347%26file=443|$_OUTDIR\Editor\bin\AGK.exeInfectionWin32:Evo-gen [Susp]

Anyone else get this? Any ideas how to proceed? thanks for any help.
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 01:37
I got the warning from my anti-virus program too. I'm using Avast, and it's probably blocking that site but I haven't found where to unblock it yet...
Uechi
Years of Service
User Offline
I am using avast too. Should I disable it until the download finishes?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 01:50
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=95622.0

Susp = Suspicious...

Ignore it and just allow the file... unless your system may have web based injection

Uechi
Years of Service
User Offline
I did let it continue and it stopped at 99%.
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 01:54
Quote: "I am using avast too. Should I disable it until the download finishes? "

Yeah. Just disable the web-shield (or whatever it's called) and try to download again. Remember to activate the web-shield again when the download is done.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 01:54
Disable that silly piece of pointless software... then download again... also give it some 5 minutes before cancelling... I get funny blowbacks from the TGC servers sometimes...

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 01:57
paul... i dont see the ouya template once again. Was it missed? At least the date of the folder has been un modified since i installed alpha 4. I will need this to build the new ouya player with eclipse so it supports ouya iap.

Uechi
Years of Service
User Offline
I disabled the web shield and the file protection shield and the
download and install worked. Thanks MRVALENTINE!!
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The only thing I added was the purple for the commands"

Oh. Really? Numbers were always the same color as comments? Maybe I changed the coloring long ago on my computers.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 02:19
Uechi

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 03:35:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 03:35:42