Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Nomad Mod (Dynamic Lighting) Official Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2014 23:40 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 01:05

What is Nomad Mod?
Nomad Mod is a high end graphics modification for FPS Creator which provides unified dynamic lighting, flashlights and other graphics enhancements.

Nomad Mod Features:
Unified Dynamic Lighting
Bump, Specular, Illumination
Water / Window Refraction
Cinematic Bloom / Motion Blur
Depth of Field / Cell Shading
Film Grain / Sepia / Noir
HUD Damage / Health System
Camera Movement Effects
Light Shaft Effects / Fog Effects
Animated Texture Effects
Improved Blood Effects
Fully Working Flashlights
Support for Dual Wielding
Compatible with S4Mod Zeta

Which version of FPS Creator does Nomad Mod use?
Nomad Mod uses FPSC v1.20 BETA17A however this is not a source modification so you can apply it to other mods providing they are built on a recent version of the source code.
http://files.thegamecreators.com/betafiles/FPS_Creator_V120_BETA17A.zip

Why use Nomad Mod?
Nomad Mod provides a fully integrated dynamic lighting solution to allow consistently realistic lighting effects throughout your game from static and dynamic lights with static and dynamic objects. You can also use a number of post process effects such as cell shading or film noir to give your games a totally unique look.

How can I get Nomad Mod?
Nomad Mod has now been added to Black Ice Mod and will no longer be supported as a standalone package. You can download Black Ice Mod here:
http://www.blackicemod.org/

Nomad Mod License:
Nomad Mod is free to use for commercial and non-commercial projects. There is a license restriction on the music track provided and this can only be used in games made using this mod unless purchased separately.

Credits:
Original Shaders - Bond1, CoZ, Dark Goblin, Uzi Idiot
Models - Errant AI, Jon Fletcher, Maniac Modeler, Uman
Textures - Rolfy, Madcow, Shim Kangrey, Xplosys, Starmind
Scripts - KingofMk98, Ncmako
Music - Nickydude (MadLadDesigns)

YouTube Video

In Game Screenshots

Updated 01/09/2014 - Nomad Mod is now compatible with S4Mod Zeta and supports dual wielding.
Updated 06/09/2014 - Nomad Mod v1.0 is now available and can be downloaded from my website. Click my forum banner and it will take you there.
Updated 21/09/2014 - Nomad Mod demo launcher is now available with playable demos.
Updated 06/10/2014 - Nomad Mod v1.1 released
Updated 22/11/2014 - Nomad Mod v1.2 released
Updated 24/12/2014 - Nomad Mod v1.3 released
Updated 11/06/2015 - Nomad Mod v1.3.5 released

Tomik18
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2014 01:13
Looks great nice work man

My PC specs: Intel Core i5 2430M 2,40Ghz
4 GB RAM
GT 540M
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
GREAT...!!!

thank you Nomad...
This brings fps c to new life....

can it works with lastest unoffical beta v.120 final e??
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
This is looking great can't wait .

best s4real

Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2014 18:02
Nice. Very,very nice Nomad Soul.
Looking forward to it.
best

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 17:44 Edited at: 21st Nov 2014 16:40
Thanks for the comments guys, I should have the installer uploaded on my website within the next couple of days.

Quote: "can it works with lastest unoffical beta v.120 final e??"

I'm sure it will work with any of the V1.20 BETA17A builds but I've not personally tested them.

I recommend doing a fresh install of FPSC then install the V1.20 BETA17A update and then Nomad Mod. You can make a backup of the 'FPSC-Game' and 'FPSC-MapEditor' files before trying other builds.

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 02:26
Nomad Soul
Just played your demo. Some good stuff, fun to play.
The "Color Correction & Sharpening" really caught my eye.
Felt clean and crisp. Loved it. My system took a little hit on fps
(have an older card) but still playable.
Thanks, best

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Nomad..why another postpone??

every time time left is little there is another postponr LOL

I really your mod LOL...

wait in struggling..LOL
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 23:56 Edited at: 21st Nov 2014 16:42
@ncmako
This mod is quite demanding from a graphics perspective so a dedicated mid range card (must support shader model 3.0) is required but I will probably include an alternative post process shader for lower end machines.

Also you will be pleased to hear I've just finished testing Nomad Mod with S4Mod Zeta and not only is it compatible but I get a performance boost from 60FPS to 150FPS.

@JC LEON
My apologies for the delay. I wanted to include a flashlight with the mod and spent some time over the weekend putting one together. I also wanted to make sure Nomad Mod is fully compatible with S4Mod Zeta and after consulting with s4real I added support for dual wielding.

JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
dont worry Nomad... I was joking and I'm very excited that Nomad mod is fully compatible with S4mod Z which I'm attempt to buy (I'm waiting info from S4real) and if we can use lightmapping from S4mod Zeta with Nomad mod features is GREAt...

wait impatiently----

thanks again for your effort...
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2014 19:55
you guy are doing big things with fpsc. good job.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried the demo today and it was great... only noticed that flashlight glow is maybe too large and bright a great portion of screen.. it can be reduced eventually during mod use mofifying some setting or parameter??
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2014 23:15
@michael x
This community has been very helpful so its nice to give something back.

@JC LEON
Thanks for the feedback. You can change the color and brightness of the flashlight using the MUZZLECOLOR R,G,B values inside the gunspec file. The default values are 255 for solid white but you can change these as you wish. It's not currently possible to change the area of the flashlight but tweaking the ambient lighting and flashlight values should work well.

I'm getting the mod ready for release now and writing a quick guide so my deadline is to have v1.0 uploaded and available this weekend.

JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@JC LEON
Thanks for the feedback. You can change the color and brightness of the flashlight using the MUZZLECOLOR R,G,B values inside the gunspec file. The default values are 255 for solid white but you can change these as you wish. It's not currently possible to change the area of the flashlight but tweaking the ambient lighting and flashlight values should work well.

I'm getting the mod ready for release now and writing a quick guide so my deadline is to have v1.0 uploaded and available this weekend.
"

thanks to you for your explanation and your effort..
cant wait to use the mod...
The Big ZK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2014 04:09
I'm really looking forward to this! I'm hoping it will allow me to add very dark levels to my game but have the use of the flashlight to see. Now I have to go see what this S4mod Zeta is all about...
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 22:34
@The Big ZK
Yes, you can lower the ambient lighting and have areas where the flashlight is required to explore dark areas. I've done a quick screenshot to give you an idea.

Nomad Mod v1.0 will be available to download over this weekend.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2014 21:19
Nomad Mod v1.0 is now available to download from my website. Just click my forum banner and it will take you there.

A couple of things to mention before you try it:

- You must install the FPSC v1.20 BETA17A update before installing this mod for all the features to work properly.
- Ensure you set the FPSC map editor preferences to best quality / full shader effects before testing the game.
- There are 2 example maps provided in the mapbank/nomadmod folder. The nomadmodzeta map has dual wield if you have S4Mod Zeta installed.
- There is a Nomad Mod v1.0 guide which installs to the FPS Creator Docs folder and gives more information about using the mod with your own games.

Have fun and I'm really looking forward to seeing what the community can do with this.

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2014 23:23
Thank you, Chrome flags it as being potentially malicious... maybe you could do something about this, like an alternative zipped version ?

Sorry if i may seem paranoid, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

"I like to keep this handy, for close encounters."
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 00:21
@Madcow
I've replaced the download with a .zip so it should be fine now. I also just tested with Firefox and Internet Explorer which are both downloading without any warnings etc.

No harm in being paranoid but you can trust me the package is clean!

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Great work on this mod Nomad Soul , works great many thanks for the time put into this.

@Madcow :- I downloaded this and its is clean.

best s4real

Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 01:17
awesome

mk83 Productions

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 01:38
Thank you Nomad, sorry if I bothered you.

A buddy told me that if Chrome displays the warning, it is because the file is really recent.

JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 03:15 Edited at: 7th Sep 2014 10:59
thanks and great work

only a question.. after run the installer.. I cannot specify another installation folder and this is a problem for me since I have another fpsc installation to test mod and for special pourposes and only if all works fine I install them into fpsc folder original folder

can you please make the installer that can modifiy the installation folder ??

thanks,..

btw..GREAT:::
The Big ZK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 06:12
Thank you for all your hard work! However, I'm going to have to agree with JC LEON. I'm unable to install the mod as it defaults only to "C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\FPS Creator" and I have FPSC installed on another hard drive. And thanks for the demo pics above, exactly what I want to do!
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 09:22
I have used this modification. And I agree that this mod is very much graphically intensive. And also, nice work with the character shadows. But I would like to state a bug in the example map that the enemy characters tend to float or disappear during the game (maybe it is my PC). But in every other way, it is a super cool mod.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 00:32 Edited at: 8th Sep 2014 01:31
@Madcow
No problem. I hope everything is working for you now.

@JC LEON / The Big ZK
I've updated the installer so you can change the default installation path for Nomad Mod. I made this read only to keep things simple but it makes sense for people to have multiple instances of FPSC and to use other drives. Please download the latest installer from my website.

@Mriganka
Nomad Mod does not make any changes to the Dark AI system other than adding the blood spurt effect when enemies are hurt as part of the graphics modifications. I'm using FPSC v1.20 BETA17A with S4Mod Zeta and have not experienced any issues.

Edit - You can download the playable demos on my website which use FPSC v1.20 BETA17A and S4Mod Zeta to see if you get the same problem. If the answer is yes, it will probably be a performance related issue and if not I would recommend a fresh install of FPSC with the v1.20 BETA17A update and the mod.

The Big ZK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 06:49
Thanks for the new installer! I had installed it to the default directory and then copied the files over to my other hard drive earlier today. But I'll do a reinstall with this one just to be sure everything is where it should be. It works great on my level except for one room, I'm guessing I'll have to modify the assets for that room. I'll play around with it tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks again for putting this together!
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 12:13
I am currently using FPSC version 1.20.018 with your mod and the mod has presented me no bugs. Maybe it is just the spawning system of the engine. And nice graphics capabilities, especially with the dynamic shadows of the juggernaut. But the gun shadows don't seem to be appearing in some weapons. And also what are the various components needed to make a model shader friendly with your shaders?

JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
downlaoded the new installer ...thanks a lot....
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 18:13 Edited at: 8th Sep 2014 18:38
Great job. Installer works fine for non standard folder installs. Graphics look awesome. Will test this on a level I have to check out the improvements. Lots of re assigning shaders, but I am sure it will be worth it.

Thanks again for all your hard work on improving the game engine.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 22:11
@The Big ZK
Your welcome. Glad to hear everything is going well and let me know if you have any trouble getting your assets to work with the mod.

@Mriganka
The juggernaut character is spawned using a script which is directly based on the standard dark AI script to activate an enemy but also removes the old FPSC shadow blob decal to allow dynamic planar shadows.

My guess would be the other weapon you are trying to use does not have all the textures required to use the shader properly but I would be happy to take a look for you. There is a table on page 6 of the Nomad Mod user guide that shows which shaders and textures to use for each asset. The guide is located in the FPS Creator Docs folder in PDF format.

@JC LEON
No problem. It was a good suggestion and everyone seems happier with this option in the installer so thanks for that.

@Pirate Myke
Thanks for the kind words. There is a bit of work to make a level compatible with the mod but it gets quicker each time and the benefit of having unified lighting is worth it. Let me know if you need any help to get things up and running.

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 10:20
Not that bad in changing the shaders, about an hours worth of time on a large level. Which all are for the game we are doing.

The result in game build are worth the time it takes.

Will we in the future be able to maybe not use motion blur or have the ability to shut it off in scripting?

Also is there a way to change the bloom settings.

Other then that I am sold on this mod and am hoping to incorporate it in the current project I am working with. I have sent a build off to Mr Game for Insomnia is coming to get his thoughts on it.

If approved then I will be redoing 13 maps changing the shaders.

I will see if he will allow a video of the tested level with and without the mod for visual differences.

Very nice work indeed. Thank you for this mod and the improvements it brings. It is a great addition to the fantastic work that s4real has been doing.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 15:23 Edited at: 9th Sep 2014 18:12
I will may sound harsh but, after looking at the files, it seems to be just a compilation of free shaders laying on the forum, right ?
Surely it will be handy for newcomers, since most of them doesn't seem to do a lot of things with the engine. For confirmed/curious users it will not be very useful, because we can do our very own "Nomad Mod" by ourselves. :/

Let's end on a more helpful note : the refraction shader is mis-used, the second texture should be a normal map.
Feel free to use mine for any subsequent release, no credit asked. ( PNG format )

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 16:01 Edited at: 9th Sep 2014 16:02
@madcow: I beg to differ.

After putting together levels for 4 years and maxing out the memory with the shader setting at mid range settings, to be able to include a moderate amount of stuff. Being able to crank the shader setting on high and have a build completed and looking great is a long welcomed task. Not only in a build game but test game also.

Maybe you should try and improve on it then. Shaders are a major part of making FPSC look good. only a few people have been able to do this over the years, and then give to the forum to enjoy and used for commercial purposes without charging for it. Thank you Bond1, CoZ, Dark Goblin.

Maybe a little more respect or constructive comments to ways which Nomad could improve on the shaders would have been a better choice of words.

@ Nomad Soul, Got permission to capture video and post it. I will get right on that.

JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
After putting together levels for 4 years and maxing out the memory with the shader setting at mid range settings, to be able to include a moderate amount of stuff. Being able to crank the shader setting on high and have a build completed and looking great is a long welcomed task. Not only in a build game but test game also.

Maybe you should try and improve on it then. Shaders are a major part of making FPSC look good. only a few people have been able to do this over the years, and then give to the forum to enjoy and used for commercial purposes without charging for it. Thank you Bond1, CoZ, Dark Goblin.

Maybe a little more respect or constructive comments to ways which Nomad could improve on the shaders would have been a better choice of words."

quote EVERY SINGLE WORD

thanks again Nomad

@Madcow..

change drug dealer
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 23:09 Edited at: 9th Sep 2014 23:17
@Pirate Myke
Am pleased to hear you've been able to get your level setup with the mod and can't wait to see the video. I've got a couple of improvements in mind for v1.1 and will include a version of the post shader with no motion blur.

There is a script in the scriptbank\posteffects folder called 'nomadmod.fpi' which can be used with a trigger zone to active the post shader. You can swap other post effects in and out using trigger zones in this way.

@Madcow
Some of the shaders were not released on the forums for free and I had to get permission from Bond1 to include them as part of this mod. I then had to personally update them to support dynamic lights and ensure they all work together nicely. Therefore I think I have a valid claim on introducing a mod which provides consistent quality graphics with unified lighting for FPSC games.

The purpose of this mod is to provide all users with the tools to have nice graphics features in their games without requiring a source modification as it was also very important to have compatibility with the excellent S4Mod Zeta which improves every other aspect of FPSC. All of the additional work I did was to implement a custom flashlight to demonstrate the unified dynamic lighting, an example map which people can use as a template to understand how to use the mod, a user guide and the installer for convenience. I wanted to make this mod as easy for people to use as possible.

You can use a normal map for the refraction shader texture but I personally like the effect this way. I modified the alpha channel from the original version by CoZ so more of the refraction effect is visible. If you don't mind I'll include your texture as an alternative version in the next update.

@JC LEON
Thanks. Its nice to know you are happy with the mod and that its proving useful. If we start to see more people using it with their games I will consider it a success.

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2014 00:46
Quote: "If you don't mind I'll include your texture as an alternative version in the next update."

Sure, go ahead.

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2014 09:27 Edited at: 10th Sep 2014 09:39
Video of one of the levels we are working on. This is a population and animation test. This has been assigned the shaders from the nomad mod.

Some of the characters attack, some are not scripted yet. That is not what we are here to see.

Atmosphere and graphics are what we are here to see.

Also note that none of the textures have been redone yet to fit the new shaders. so some of the wall textures do not have the specular that I desire on them yet.

I am sure this is not a complete graphical representation of the full capabilities of this mod. As in all aspects of this engine, you get what you put into it.

A separate shader for the decals maybe in the future and dynamic entity illumination with no bones. But not to worry as all the bond1 shaders still function the way they did as before. So the lamps on the ceiling are using the bond1 spec_Ill shader.

First video is using Nomad mod:
Mature content, so you will have to log into youtube to see it sorry. Don't want any hassles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0CXz6vNEQ8

I could not help myself. After I changed the shaders for the segment stuff I wanted to add all the lights for the candles.
I also moved my main light for the sun around to where the bright spot in the skybox is so as to make it the right direction. what I am saying is the scenes are not fully identical.

Second video is of FPSC using bond1 shaders.
Mature content, so you will have to log into youtube to see it sorry. Don't want any hassles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WKyJbUUTVA

I want to thank all my model making artist that contributed to this level. To many to list, as other then environment, I do not make the character meshes, I just rig and animate them and get them into the game engine. So if you see something that is yours, I hope I gave it some justice.

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2014 12:48 Edited at: 10th Sep 2014 12:49
Using Bond1's shaders seems to make the game darker.

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2014 16:32 Edited at: 10th Sep 2014 16:34
There are 25 less lights in the bond1 shader one. I have switched the shaders of the segment stuff to nomad mode. So as I don't want to go back and forth changing settings, I am waiting to see which direction we are going to take, because we already have 11 levels finished already. Changing these all and re adjusting textures will take about a months worth of work. not bad for the quality that we would be gaining.

My feeling is that with the new shaders it is more difficult to see the differences between static and dynamic objects, they blend together much more naturally with out having to double up textures, one for static and one for dynamic, that will be a significant saving on resources right there.

Normally I would not have populated with so many lights at this stage, as to finish getting all the required assets in the level and seeing if it would still build with out going over mem cap. I just could not stop myself from doing it, Plus I need it light semi proper for the boss to make a decision.

Plus I still need to reserve space for the final scripting and sounds and triggers needed to get thru this puzzle.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2014 01:04 Edited at: 11th Sep 2014 01:06
@Pirate Myke
I really like your game, it has a great atmosphere and the monsters are some of the best I've ever seen in FPSC. Thanks for sharing the videos and comparing the results. My opinion is a little bias but I do slightly prefer the mod version.

One of the benefits of the mod is the consistency you get between static and dynamic entities so I'm really pleased you noticed that in your tests. Am looking forward to hearing if you get a green light to continue updating the rest of the game but understandable if not given it will take a month.

I've attached a version of the post process shader which disables motion blur so all you need to do is replace this in the effectbank\ps_2_0 folder and give it a try.

Attachments

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2014 11:26
Got the green light to use the mod for the game. Going to look great. this level shown is the simplest one. The rest hardly use segment walls at all. they will look great.

They like the bloom and motion blur, but it is still nice to have control over the stuff.

Are you planning on doing the atlas textures shaders also?

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2014 23:08
@Pirate Myke
Brilliant news on the green light. I'm looking forward to seeing how the project develops so please share more pics / videos. If there is anything I can help with let me know.

I'm planning the nomad mod v1.1 update at the moment. Here is what I have in mind so far:

- UV texture fix on the ventilation shaft door
- Dynamic entity illumination shader (non character)
- Water refraction for windows (from my water level thread)
- Alternative window refraction texture (contributed by Madcow)
- Alternative post effect shaders (e.g. no motion blur) and scripts

I will also take a look at the atlas texture shader. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2014 05:27
Sorry for bugging in (I have been bugging a lot of things in this thread). Well, from the unified dynamic lightning feature in the shaders, when I fire a gun, after the shot, the front side of the character, which is lit up for an instant, comes to its default look, but, the back side (or the opposite side from where the shot has been taken), still has the lightning effect on it. So, is there any fix for it?

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2014 18:40 Edited at: 21st Nov 2014 16:44
@Mriganka
I've not had any issues like that when using the mod with FPSC v1.20 BETA17A or S4Mod Zeta. Please can you confirm which version of FPSC you are using?

Also please try the playable demos in the links below and confirm if you still get this issue.

Nomad Mod Playable Demos
http://www.dabalisticsoftware.com/files/NomadModDemoLauncher.zip

am Crytikal
Years of Service
User Offline
@Nomad

Thank you for making this mod (I am waiting for your next update though), maybe you can put up Donation option on your site and people who will use this for commercial games can donate in the future (when they sell their game at least haha).

I am used to UDK and still new to FPSC (demoing it) and I was searching for something like this mod but only found threads where authors never updated threads (or allowed commercial use for free by default).

Few things:

1) I wonder if the mod can have option to automatically lower settings to give players playable FPS all the time (40+ FPS).

2) Will you be optimizing this for low end PC's/Laptops?

3) Can the motion blur can be turned off? (a LOT of gamers hate MB the most, after DOF).

4) Any way the mod can allow FOV adjustment easily? Maybe FOV and player bobbing adjustments? (both of these are important and can result in players getting headaches)

Thanks.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 00:34
@am Crytikal
Thanks and nice idea about the donations. I can support the mod in my spare time at the moment so maybe something for the future.

1) The mod does not automatically provide lower settings but you can use the normal FPSC settings to reduce texture or light mapping quality etc. I recommend using S4Mod Zeta with Nomad Mod as it improves engine performance and has a better lightmapper which reduces memory usage. Resolution is also a big factor on performance so lower this if required.

2) Nomad Mod is already quite optimized. One of the benefits of this mod is reducing the number of shaders you need to provide a high quality and consistent visual experience. The minimum requirement is a shader model 3.0 graphics card but I think this has been standard for a number of years now.

3) In Nomad Mod v1.1 there will be an alternative post process shader which switches off motion blur so this can be used instead of the default version. There will also be scripts so these can be swapped during the game with other post process shaders.

4) You can change the FOV using a command called CAMFOV=X which was introduced to FPSC by Airmod. I've attached a script to this post you can use by adding a trigger zone in the level and assigning this to the AI Main field.

Attachments

am Crytikal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 02:33 Edited at: 16th Sep 2014 15:27
Nice, thanks for FOV script.

1) I will give Zeta a try after at least I am done working on this project (for now, I am more than happy with your mod tbh). I'll definitely look into it though, opening up worlds would be nice without performance drops.

2) I believe you. After posting I actually tried out your mod on my i3, GT540M Laptop and I actually got more FPS running your custom map than default FPSC. On my i7 I am getting constant 60 FPS so I believe you when you say it's optimised.

3) That is really nice because people complain about MB a lot and I myself prefer it off in every game (it makes things blurry and nothing else).

I have a question (maybe it's off topic but I am not sure), is there a specific limit for texture resolution on models and on surfaces in FPSC using your mod? I believe I can go upto like 8192x8192 for textures (I am not but my biggest texture is 2048x2048).

Similarly, does your mod allows us to use more polies on models? (I am not sure what is the polygon limit for levels in FPSC though).

Another thing (yay more questions), will 1.1 update allow us to adjust the Flashlight properly? Few things Flashlight is missing (I hacked these features into flashlight for UDK but would love to have it here):
- Dynamic shadows from flashlight. Shadows created by Flashlight can actually result in a lot of scares since every object casts a shadow (and people mistake them for shadows of monsters). But the dynamic shadow shouldn't be too dark, it should be adjustable how dark or light the shadow is going to be.

- Range of light being cast from player. Right now, when we use Flashlight it looks like we are carrying a lantern in our hand since it illuminates area around you as well. Flashlight should illuminate area in front of you at a distance (and maybe distance can be adjusted?).

- This is the reference I used to create Flashlight in UDK >> http://i.imgur.com/xPJuja9.jpg

Gonna mess around with FOV now.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 03:37 Edited at: 18th Sep 2014 23:14
@am Crytikal
I believe the largest texture size you can use in FPSC is 4096x4096 but the largest I've seen is 2048x2048 and usually reserved for characters. In most cases textures of 1024x1024 are used for detailed models, 512x512 for segments and 256x256 for smaller objects.

Meshes need to be optimized before importing into FPSC. The highest poly model in Nomad Mod is the juggernaut character which is 4,401 polygons and uses a 1024x1024 texture. I noticed the .x file is 15mb which I can compress to 2mb but FPSC seems to compile to around 11mb for its native .dbo format in both cases.

Unfortunately dynamic shadows are not currently supported in FPSC and this would require a source code modification. It has been attempted a couple of times but we still do not have a general purpose solution for dynamic shadows in the engine.

You can adjust the brightness and color of the flashlight but adjusting the range is currently not possible. I will have a chat with s4real who maintains the FPSC source code to see if it might be possible to add some commands in the gunspec to extend this functionality. In the meantime I suggest tweaking the MUZZLECOLOR R,G,B and ambient light values to achieve a good balance like in the screenshots below.

I have started work on the v1.1 update and just fixed the UV texture issue on the ventilation shaft frame. This was really bothering me and will benefit anyone using these in their games.

Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 06:25
Nomad Soul, since you have decided to chat with s4real about the topic of extra gunspec commands, could you please keep in mid if it may be possible to bring in another aspect of the gunspec, like a grenade command, which requires a key to be pressed to throw a grenade. I might be same as the melee spec, just instead of the heading melee, you have to put something like thrwgrnd or something. I tried scripting it, but have not been successful in putting in the correct logic altogether. Also, the dynamic shadow feature that is already there in the engine can be optimised. Too bad that it only works with dynamic entities and not characters. And for the few problems that I have been getting, I just had to turn postprocess on, and for some reason everything seemed to pull back together. And very much thanks with the mod and the proper illumination map and model of the stock ceiling light, which was a total screw up when used from the stock media.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:43:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:43:10