Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / OMG look what i found

Author
User Banned
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 18:56
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2dee/1778930834?token=95ee824d

Enjoy
i think there will be a free version but i might have miss understand what the guy talked about, anyway a very very cool and help full tool.!
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 19:04
and then i found this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/finnmorgan/sprite-lamp-dynamic-lighting-for-2d-art

Apparently 2d Games will soon look even better
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 20:37
Sprite DLight creates them with almost no work so I think for most that would be the best option. Sprite Lamp requires a lot more work, but can probably give you an even better end result.

So, I'm guessing these works with AppGameKit 2?

Native Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
That is very cool

Native Technology
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 15:18
It's excellent.

can't we do somethings like that in agk v2 with shader and normal map ?
Someone has a normalmap shader (2d) example ?

We can do easily a normal map form a 2D picture with nvidia NormalMap filter and photoshop.

http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Timshark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2014 02:27
Yes, I want this. Please, some of you smart shader coders make a shader when this comes out. I will pay in your native currency and I will pay good.

What a tease!

I never want what I know.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 00:08 Edited at: 9th Nov 2014 00:09
This is based on one of the examples... it's AGKv1 though, using a shader on a plain object.

I will of course release this once I've refined it a bit. Currently it supports 3 lights.

I am the one who knocks...
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 01:13
I love you Van B
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh my this is cool. I didn't look into it, can you create normal maps with a combination of the diffuse texture and a height map with DLight? Might be able to create some pretty cool "next-gen" 8-bit style games with that trick

Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 10:04
Van B : are you just a man or something like a semigod lol ?
I'm waiting for your example which seems to be great!

http://www.dracaena-studio.com
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 10:08
I played with normal mapping on sprites but didn't got the right Light position working.

Do u guys know how to setup a normal map on a sprite? (Stage: 1.Diffuse, 2.Normal)

If there is no way..
we could just take a second sprite and except of light it, we darken it with the normal shader and put it on the first sprite..
maybe we need blending then

That way we get away of 3D planes.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 11:55 Edited at: 9th Nov 2014 12:06
As promised...

https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/2539706

There are a few programs that can generate a good normal map from a diffuse, height, or a combination of both. These Kickstarter projects look like they go the extra mile. The example is only for AGKv1 and uses a plain and 3 lights, a blue one at the top, red one at the bottom moving left and right, and the yellow light is controlled with the mouse. I haven't tested X rotation yet and it probably won't work, but I will update the shader once that's working.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 22:30
I'm really starting to think I should back v2.....

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Deee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2014 13:32 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2014 16:06
Hey guys, Sprite DLight creator here.
Glad to see people talk about my project even before it goes live.

Sprite Lamp is a very good tool and it offers a lot of control over the resulting normal maps by combining multiple hand painted lighting profiles of the subject.
For users who have the time to paint the shading several times for each sprite, Sprite Lamp will probably be the tool of choice, as you can achieve a very good quality with it, depending on your artistic skills.

For projects like games featuring a lot of sprites and animations, Sprite DLight would be your choice, as it does the normal map generation automatically, based only on the original artwork, resulting in pretty solid normal maps, adjustable with various settings.

The GIMP/Photoshop plugins and common normal map generators are good for a bumpy 'bevel' look on textures like walls, however you won't be able to create a normal map for a character or object with them, as they only process local details, without respect to the overall shapes.

#1 Original sprite
#2 Normal map created by the GIMP plugin (same as PS plugin)
#3 Normal map created by a common normal map generator with the original sprite used as height map, followed by shape enhancement
#4 Normal map created by Sprite DLight in one click

#3 is the best result you can achieve with current automatic normal map generators combined with clever techniques, although the result is still pretty poor, it's more of a bevel effect, which is randomly concave or convex, particularly at the edges of the shape.

@Van B: Very impressive effect, I hope this encourages you guys to put some more work in this.
Still I'd like to know what you mean by going the extra mile.

@swissolo: You actually don't need to to combine anything for my tool, as you can just generate the normals from the diffuse map, which can look very bumpy with the right shape volume settings.
So, next-gen 8-bit games are perfectly possible, you can just process existing sprites and create your high-end pixel art game.

Awesome work, guys, this gives me hope that we will see dynamic lighting in AppGameKit soon.

By the way, the kickstarter for Sprite DLight will be launched this afternoon at 4:00pm CST.
I'd be happy to have some of you as backers or supporters who help to spread the word.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2014 14:10
Hi Deee, I had no idea you were a member of the forum!

By extra mile, I mean a lot of normal map generators just go by the diffuse brightness which as you know isn't ideal - to get good results from a normal map generation, it has to account for shading. From the results we're seeing DLight looks to be very effective at calculating proper depth, and I'm sure we'll see some amazing looking projects using it.

Good luck with the Kickstarter

I have a thread in the AppGameKit Showcase section where the shader and demo are being refined (by other people) - so be sure to check there guys for new demos and improved shader versions...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=212423&b=48

Deee
Years of Service
User Offline
Van B, I haven't really been an active member so far
That's why each time I try to see the effect of adjustments to my forum signature, I have to wait until my edited post (which only has a new sig) gets approved -.-

Thank you very much for the nice words and wishes. I think the tool does a pretty good job for various different styles and perspectives, and I am confident we will see its normal maps used in AppGameKit, soon.

If anyone wants to try more material, please feel free to show some examples you would like to see a Sprite DLight normal map for.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2014 18:08
thats very nice Deee! i better take a look at your page!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2014 22:10
Hi Deee, as I said on your kickstarter page I would be very interested in backing this tool. It seems perfect for making what I would call "next gen" sprite based games.

It would be great to use AppGameKit as a way of showcasing it. If the current commands get refined soon enough I'd be using it right away.

Good luck with the ks campaign, I'll spread the word as much as I can.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2014 23:07
Wee! I'm the first backer

Deee:
I think your program looks awesome for indie developers that doesn't have the resources to create normal maps. I hope your project does really well. I wont be using it for my current project, but likely for my next one.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 00:56
just backed! this is actually the first kickstarter project i have backed without using paypal!

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
@Deee
Well I certainly didn't expect you to be here So essentially the lighting should be part of the diffuse to generate the normal map? (or some sense of lighting to create the shape of the character) I mentioned 8-bit style graphics because generally there is very little going on with regards to texture. The depth of an otherwise flat character could come from the normal map while still remaining simple underneath the lighting. Perhaps that's not the purpose of the tool though I'll have to look into it more before I start making suggestions. I still have to find a good time to learn more, been busy! I'll find the time though

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 10:45
I want to pledge but I don't have any spare monies!

Good luck with the Kickstarter Deee! Looks like you're going to SMASH it!

Deee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, time to get back with some news.
The Kickstarter launch went smoothly and the project got funded within 18 hours.
Absolutely awesome, and I'd like to thank all backers and word-spreaders here

@swissolo: It doesn't really matter if the used sprite has shading on it, you can also get a nice bumpy effect on flat shapes with the tool.
Not sure if that was your question, though.

I hope the success of the project encourages the codewizards here to completely implement all the nice stuff in AppGameKit soon.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 22:18
Backed... late to the party as usual!
Deee
Years of Service
User Offline
Wonderful. Better late than never, baxslash Thanks for getting in.
The project is now almost 170% funded and stretch goals are being discussed. Suggestions are welcome

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 09:59
SetSpriteAdditionalImage() has just been added to AppGameKit V2 which might make normal mapping possible for sprites as well as 3D objects
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 14:53
I made a Sprite Normalmapping shader using SetSpriteAdditionalImage()
Take a look here: [AGKv2] 2D Normalmapping

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 05:58 Edited at: 15th Nov 2014 06:06
This looks... awesome. -> https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002/770/294/086e6cf9f2079c9130525dbf2f4df174_large.gif?1413802100

I love how the light plays off of the little folds in his jacket.

Cool to see you here Deee. I will likely be backing this before it's done, especially if you decide to go for a Mac version!
Deee
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, I can't believe what is going on here. I didn't have the time to take a closer look, but what I have seen from the pictures in the 2D Normalmapping thread looks very nice.

Thank you, unlikely, the Mac version is right on top of my list of stretch goals that will definitely be done if possible.
I am still looking for a cheap Mac to test if it can be done at all. Won't take long until I can tell you more on this, though.

The Bodyguard sprite looks amazing, yes, the artist who did it is one of the best pixel artists I know and the normals turn out very well.

Deee
Years of Service
User Offline
I just updated the project with four stretch goals and the Mac version is among them!

#1 ($4k): lighting preview (goal is already reached)
#2 ($7k): Mac version
#3 ($9k): Re-rendering
#4 ($11k): Manual artistic control

I can't really describe all that in a few sentences, you just have to watch the video in the Kickstarter update!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2014 14:13
Deee, when's there going to be a beta?
Deee
Years of Service
User Offline
The beta is planned to start around mid-December, shortly after the end of the campaign.
I would love to get something out earlier, but currently, I can't do too much work on the tool itself, as I'm pretty busy anwering questions and trying to get some more attention for the project, particularly for the Greenlight campaign on Steam.

If you cannot wait, please feel free to send me some sprites you want me to test with the tool.

Deee
Years of Service
User Offline
Yay, stretch goal #2 is reached! The tool will also be available for Mac!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2014 08:56
That's great news, backed the greenlight too. I can wait till mid-December actually. Thanks for the offer though!
Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2014 10:24
Just backed the projects. Can't wait.

Thanks!!

Apps published: 4
Deee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2014 00:51 Edited at: 28th Nov 2014 01:19
Thank you guys, and happy Thanksgiving!
I have added a new feature for backers of the Pro version: an animated dynamic lighting preview for sprite sheets.
Click the image for the full update, including a video clip showing the new feature!

"Selen Run Animation", ©2014 Lunar Ray Games, animated dynamic lighting preview of the sprite sheet in Sprite DLight

haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 28th Nov 2014 05:38
cool
Deee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2014 18:17 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2014 18:20
I know, most of you are backers of the tool, but for those who haven't seen it yet:

Stretch goal #3 has been reached, and it brings a re-rendering feature for engines that do not support shaders.
This is probably not that interesting, as you guys go for the real thing, but as many of the first backers came from this forum (including the very first backer), I'd like to keep you up to date and I also want to thank you again for all the support and faith.

"Super Aged Warriors Alpha 2 HD Turbo Special", ©2014 AlbertoV (DYA Games), re-rendered for different environments with the normal map and lighting of Sprite DLight

The final stretch goal is also very well in reach, less than $500 missing for the normals-to-lightmaps-conversion option, which allows for manual adjustments to the normal map in a convenient way.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2014 02:01
thanks allot! the 3rd stretch goal is actually very usefull for those like me that are terrible at figuring out shaders and real lighting....lol

i cant wait to see what i can do with this when its released!

Deee
Years of Service
User Offline
You will be able to do a lot of crazy things - the final stretch goal has also been reached, and it brings a way to easily do adjustments to the generated normal maps.

I'm also currently working on the UI design, this is a screenshot of the progess:

Deee
Years of Service
User Offline
The clock is ticking...
There's 27 hours left for the campaign. Thank you guys, you really gave this project a huge boost!

"Skull Plant", ©2013 Kevin Chaloux, normal map and dynamic lighting preview of Sprite DLight

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 11th Dec 2014 20:33
Oh my gosh, this is one awesome looking tool!

Deee, I'm so glad you're the developer and a member of these forums! Perhaps you and TGC could strike some sort of deal and sell copies on this site too?

I can't wait until this is released, it will give my futures games an amazing look! Well done!

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2014 20:55
@Deee

I think that you should include this thread as well:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=212611&b=48
in your list of shader implementations!
Deee
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot for the nice words, Yodaman Jer

@unlikely: Absolutely. I just forgot to add it (fixed it in the meantime).
I made this first list quick and dirty, so I could put up a link on the KS page for future visitors, before the project page is forever frozen, but I will spend some more time on it, as soon as things calm down a bit.

Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2014 15:33
What an awesome project! Backing this is a no-brainer.

Twitter: @itanican

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:27:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:27:31