Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Oh dear oh dear... Ubisoft, what have you become?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 18:18
Ah... further confirmation that the Anvil engine one of the worst new-gen engines:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-assassins-creed-unity-performance-analysis

And furthermore, once again instead of taking out the abundacne of half-assed side activities. Guess what, they put even more into it, the franchise has become incredibly bloated and in dire need of a good clean reboot. I loved the series... until the Kenway saga and it pains me to see what it is becoming: microtransactions and ubisoft accounts to OPEN CHESTS , inoffensive stories of pure mediocrity and all powered by an engine that can't run on anything... and that's before I even get started on bugs.

Actually, I'm going to be here all day if I try to circumnavigate the amount of profanity I want to spew right now. So in short my points are: if you ARE going to buy it, buy it pre-owned (then Ubisoft don't get the money and you can still experience what it's like) or use the money you've saved up (I know I have) to buy something else...

Here's the eurogamer review, in case if you're not up to speed: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-11-assassins-creed-unity-review

Sorry if I've sounded immature or ungrateful but I've just never been so mad at a games publisher before. It's not the devs fault, I actually kinda feel sorry for them. They probably didn't want to release it this year, or include the micro-transactions, but it was probably somewhere in the contractual agreement with Ubisoft.

In any case, they've lost my sale this year. I guess I'll be sticking with Shadow of Mordor for the meantime.

Not that I have any problem with that.
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 18:30
Wow, 24fps? I don't understand why they wouldn't lower the resolution if it runs that slow. 1080p would be fine with me, 720p would even work alright.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 18:50 Edited at: 12th Nov 2014 18:56
LOL at new emasculated computers consoles and their emasculated users.

Srsly, they wanted "next-gen" because PC power is so far away, but now they have "new" old consoles for a new long period. They have enough resources to make better games but THEY CAN'T RUN THEM. Face-palm.

With sadly famous PC disease called "OS, drivers and hardware compatibility" PC still a better platform to play.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 21:06
Quote: "Wow, 24fps? I don't understand why they wouldn't lower the resolution if it runs that slow. 1080p would be fine with me, 720p would even work alright."

Didn't you hear what they say, 24 FPS gives you the most cinematic experience.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 21:52
Dunno why, but this makes me mad. Not AC in particularly, but whole modern gamedev.

Very silly argument from them.

1. Rendered 3D frames are not equal movie film frames. 24 FPS Movie has perfect temporal aliasing. Games can't afford it nowadays.

2. 24 fps was movie standard for over 80 years. It is freaking OLD! American television is broadcast at 29.97 fps, while European television is broadcast at 25 fps. The new Hobbit was filmed at 48 FPS.

New 4K TV screens are cost not too much (especially to a gamer). And the game has locked resolution to 1600x900.

What is a CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE? HD+ @ 24FPS??? Idiots.

3. Why not 12 fps as in cartoons?

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 23:30
I usually do catch glimpse of movies seeming "jaggy" - because I compare it to games. (and when you play gamess and activly think about FPS, it becomes an issue) and I see no reason to why we shouldnt up it. Other than editing being a bit more of a pain.
higher FPS videos only look weird because we're not used to it yet

Heck, youtube just included 60fps support... Get at it movie industry, and gaming really needs to quit this whole "but it's more of a movie feel lolz" train; No it doesnt. The only reason it doesnt run higher is because you, as a gamedeveloper cared more about visuals than performance. That's the ONLY reason to ever cap it at 30 or lower (except those times where animations are tied to FPS,, which is also stupid and outdated)
Heck, some games (the evil within) tries to cap off parts of the screen, for that "movie feel"
Again, No, you only did that so that you dont have to render more pixels than necessary.

SO many excuses when the real reason behind ALL of this is; The new consoles are simply not up to the performance we HOPED they would.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 00:56
Quote: " PC still a better platform to play."

I agree, except when I want to play ports from consoles that inexplicably have controller support stripped out. Good thing for programs like joy2key.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 01:37 Edited at: 13th Nov 2014 01:54
Quote: "because you, as a gamedeveloper cared more about visuals than performance"

No, it is not a developer but teen customers that want new better graphics every year (month, week, DAY).

*** A bit muffled post, sorry ***

Never heard of: "I don't want to play this game, the engine is 1 year old!!!"?

Or, related to AC: "New Assassin's Creed have SAME GRAPHICS like in previous part, released year ago? 1 point out of 100, ever would not bother to play it. Even for free. Game is ruined."

The "indie" games are not so popular because of... graphics. I mean $$$ GRAPHICS!!!

The sad thing about AC that dev's just milking the series, trying to sell graphics instead of gameplay. This time they have run into wall: new consoles can't allow them to sell only graphics.

All that means only one thing for me: we, PC players, will get downgraded (cutted) games (ports) to not to make consoles look useless.

Just take a look at the Toy Story 3. PC got... Wii version! Compare PS3 and this... even no shadows... (but great perfomance LOL)

Quote: "tries to cap off parts of the screen, for that "movie feel""

LOL I don't mind of this thing and at the same time I found it completely senseless.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 08:28 Edited at: 13th Nov 2014 08:31
Quote: "Didn't you hear what they say, 24 FPS gives you the most cinematic experience."

Ah, but 24 FPS will not give you an acceptable gaming experience. Let us not forget that when a game runs at 24 frames per second, its entities update 24 times per second, limiting the response rate from I/O and event triggers; where the best solution is to compensate for the frameloss with time management.

A 24 FPS response rate is 41.6 milliseconds; this is much slower than playing a multiplayer first person shooter over an internet connection on a PC. For all the money they are earning, their gamers deserve better. But I do not think it matters, people will still buy their stuff; and that keeps them in business.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 18:55
I think the game looks amazing graphically. Although, I've seen far better lip syncing to the dialog.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 21:58
Quote: "A 24 FPS response rate is 41.6 milliseconds; this is much slower than playing a multiplayer first person shooter over an internet connection on a PC."

My ping is that low in my dreams.

In LoL I average 100ms with spikes up to 200ms.

The framerate arguments for 24 fps are total crap and they know it.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 23:29
Just a random but somewhat relevant fact about my weirdness: when I used to be an ultra hardcore MineCraft gamer, I would always limit the framerate to 35 FPS. My computer was easily capable of achieving 120+ FPS on that game, but I was always ultra paranoid and irritable about the random FPS drops so common to MineCraft. Thus, I figured that setting the framerate low enough that the drops wouldn't occur anymore, and getting used to said low framerate, would make my life better. It did indeed!

Being used to playing a game on 35 FPS for weeks on end, then seeing what it looks like at 120 FPS just for fun, is an amazing feeling.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 14:10 Edited at: 14th Nov 2014 14:11
Watch in Chrome or better download and watch in VLC

MLP @ REAL 60 FPS (76.3 MB)

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 14:50
24fps to compare:

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 16:33
bitjerico.... lmao!

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 20:50
And I bet 1000000000 bit that silly clip's authors are look exactly as those toy guys.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 21:57 Edited at: 14th Nov 2014 21:57
for mr handy (who's name I really hope has nothing to do with his love for ponies):

Attachments

Login to view attachments
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 22:42 Edited at: 15th Nov 2014 12:45
ModEdit: That term is not appropriate for this forum

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 12:45 Edited at: 15th Nov 2014 12:46
Can we keep the MLP stuff to its own thread please

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 17:50 Edited at: 16th Nov 2014 20:30
We were following the Community Leader (weak excuse lol)

OK, how about "I don't like this offensive silly clip but I really hate persons with pony obsession disease because they make me look like them which I am not"

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 18:45
It sucks, but people vote with their wallets. And it'll only change if enough people care about what's happening. Since most people are stupid, I don't see that happening.

Quote: "OK, how about "I don't like this offensive silly clip but I really hate persons with pony obsession disease because they make me look like them which I am not""

Sounds good to me.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2014 05:08
Quote: "OK, how about "I don't like this offensive silly clip but I really hate persons with pony obsession disease because they make me look like them which I am not" "

Totally necessary to let us know that tho

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2014 08:20 Edited at: 16th Nov 2014 08:20
Here is how consoles should look like (like a PC)

http://coub.com/view/40lki

p.s. flatout ultimate carnage

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2014 10:29
Glad I didn't get Unity, then. I have never really been a fan of AC but I enjoyed Black Flag.

That brony video was hilarious.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2014 04:51
Quote: "Glad I didn't get Unity, then. I have never really been a fan of AC but I enjoyed Black Flag."

Really? Assassin's Creed is one of my favourite series of all time! It's just a shame they're going all "big-publisher" on it...

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2014 06:11
I had only played AC, AC2 and a bit of Brotherhood I think and I never finished any because I ended up getting bored and the future animus stuff is like the worst thing in a game I've played and takes me right out of the experience. I bought Black Flag because, you know, pirates.

It also feels like AC is becoming the COD of adventures games or something.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2014 07:13
Quote: "It also feels like AC is becoming the COD of adventures games or something."

It is rather. As soon as I get some free time (ha!) I intend to go back and play at least AC1 again, just to relive the amazement of the mechanics I'd never before seen

FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2014 08:23 Edited at: 17th Nov 2014 08:27
Quote: "play at least AC1 again"

What a coincidence! I started playing it again myself, although on this playthrough (unlike the previous 5 (long story)), I have decided to do EVERYTHING, apart from flags.

It's probably 1 that I've ended up playing the most, it's just so simple and focused: you're an assassin, find facts about your target and kill him. No gambling, no pirate ships or anything like that. Just. Killing. Although I did also play AC2 alot, really liked Revelations and Black Flag was alright I suppose (but I still think it shouldn't have been an Assassin's Creed game, however that is a rant for another time.) But yeah, Assassin's Creed one is just as I remembered it. Along with all the benefits of the PC port as opposed to my original PS3 copy ('cause dat screentearing man.)

So yeah, play the old ones, they're just as good now as they were back in the series' prime.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2014 16:49
Quote: "Assassin's Creed is one of my favourite series of all time!"

Love the concept of AC
But it got old quick, because they're barely doing anything to innovate, after 7+ games I would really hope it'd gotten further than this.
As it is now, Unity is still the same game as the first game, but with an updated engine - and a few quirks added.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 13:57:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 13:57:04