Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Is Google Play Services on the horizon for Tier 1 and Tier 2?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2015 08:20 Edited at: 8th Mar 2015 01:14
Any idea when Google Play Services is going to be implemented in AGK.

Prove Your Worthiness
KG2Entertainment.com
ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2015 01:14
bumping...

Any idea when?

Prove Your Worthiness
KG2Entertainment.com
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
There isn't really a road map for this product I'm afraid, other than the dev blog thread on these forums. I think at present the debugger is scheduled for the next release, though I have no idea when that may be.

Given that, I don't think Play Services will be implemented any time soon, if at all.

www.polaraul.com
ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2015 07:49
Quote: "There isn't really a road map for this product I'm afraid..."

I just don't get it. Is there more to the implementation of Game Services than I realize?
I mean Apple's GameCenter was implemented, so why not GPG?

Paul, can you shed some light on when it might be done.

Tier 2 user!

Prove Your Worthiness
KG2Entertainment.com
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2015 15:50 Edited at: 9th Mar 2015 15:57

I disagree.
I am sure that TGC, Lee, and Paul have a road map for this product.
It is ever changing with the detours necessary to avoid the traffic jams caused by the technologies the product supports.

I have no clue since I am just a user and I am not TGC, but I imagine the development of this product is the most dynamic of any product they offer.
It may not be wise to let the back seat drivers see the road map when it has sections of the route crossed out with new paths added in.
Before you know it, everyone is fighting for control of the steering wheel and the result is a crash, which is not good for anyone.

AGK is here to stay!
And to any naysayers... I say nay!

Quote: "Given that, I don't think Play Services will be implemented any time soon, if at all.
"

Given what? That the debugger is the current development?
I am sure that debugger is a real bugger to work on.
Just take a little time to think about what that would require on their end.
That is a major feature full of complexities, and one that I would have waited on, so I am sure those who were asking for that feature have no complaints or uncertainty about AGK's future.

Quote: "I mean Apple's GameCenter was implemented, so why not GPG?"

For me, that is confirmation that it will be implemented, just not at the same time.
Once the debugger is out of the way, I hope Paul takes a break or gets some help or both.
He has a long list of things to do, and I am worried he may get burnt out with new feature requests piling up faster than he can accommodate them.
The features are still coming and AppGameKit is getting better and better, so enjoy it with patience.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
@conjured Hi there conjured

I am sure that TGC do have an internal roadmap for the product, however, I believe there is no public one. I do not believe that people who require such a road map are "back seat drivers", they are customers who want to base their own plans on the future direction of the product. Roadmaps should not change into feature soup once published.

As for Play Services not being implemented any time soon if at all.

Quote: "Once the debugger is out of the way, I hope Paul takes a break or gets some help or both.
He has a long list of things to do, and I am worried he may get burnt out with new feature requests piling up faster than he can accommodate them."

Paul has already stated that there will be no support Google Analytics in AGK2, perhaps it will be no different for Play Services.

I probably sound very negative about this product, but that is not the case. More than anything, I find it a frustrating development kit. I really want AGK2 to grow, I would love to be able to use it for all projects, from desktop, to mobile, to HTML5 development. I just don't know where AGK2 is heading though, and I don't feel particularly reassured of its direction.

www.polaraul.com
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2015 18:13
Quote: "I have no clue since I am just a user and I am not TGC, but I imagine the development of this product is the most dynamic of any product they offer.
It may not be wise to let the back seat drivers see the road map when it has sections of the route crossed out with new paths added in.
Before you know it, everyone is fighting for control of the steering wheel and the result is a crash, which is not good for anyone."

Nicely worded.
And there are some situations that highlight this. Updates would be slower if they were still being rolled out to Meego, which is now just a cul-de-sac in the rearview mirror.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2015 22:54 Edited at: 9th Mar 2015 22:55
Quote: "
I do not believe that people who require such a road map are "back seat drivers", they are customers who want to base their own plans on the future direction of the product.
"

Exactly!

And being a Tier 2 user I miss out on most of the community efforts because things are being done for Tier 1.

At first I didn't mind converting Tier 1 implementations into Tier 2 as I needed them, but now I'm getting tired of having to code so much.

So now with my current project it so benefits from a service like google play game services.
I can implement my own but there goes that extra coding that I feel I shouldn't have to do.

Now I guess I can switch to Tier 1 but that's not the direction I wanted to go.

So as far as 'Road Maps' are concerned, I just wanted to have some idea so I can plan accordingly.

Prove Your Worthiness
KG2Entertainment.com
arnzzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2015 23:36 Edited at: 9th Mar 2015 23:45
Google Play Game services is a pretty big thing for a mbile focused product not to have.

I'm from a LibGDX background and they have knocked this stuff out of the park, granted it takes a lot more work to get something working in that, and i understand its open source.

But maybe AGKv2 needs to allow some form of openness to the plugin department so us devs can create the add ons we need and distribute to others who need them.

imho an android game isn't a polished android game without Google Play Game Services integration
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 19:17
Additional Google Play functionality is not high on our list of priorities, however we did include the Google Play Services SDK to use the new Ad system that replaced AdMob. So if you are a tier 2 user then you could co-opt some of the Java functions in AGKHelper.java that you aren't using (such as Facebook or video) to call Google Play Services functions instead. Then when you call those Facebook or Video functions within your AppGameKit code they'll perform your Google Play Services code instead.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 00:36:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 00:36:44