Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / STEAM FORUM's

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2015 19:33
Any help with this.

I thought I would have a look at the Steam AppGameKit forums as on these forums it mentions getting involved etc.
I have a steam account and have subscribed to the Steam AppGameKit forum but it says I can't post and there is no option to upload artwork etc.

Cheers

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2015 19:57
Quote: "Hi,

AGK2 is NOW available on Steam. We're reaching out to our experienced community and hoping you can help to start populating the community hub for AGK2. The sort of things we'd like to see;

- Your own screen shots & app artwork
- Guides to help new users get started
- Reviews of AGK2 (positive ones we hope!)
- Helpful comments in discussions

Ideally we'd like you to jump in right now and start contributing.

AGK2 Community Hub

AGK2 Product Page

Thanks!

Rick
"

This is on the Steam post but I can't for the life of me get in there to do it!

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2015 20:07
Quote: "Your account is not allowed to post in App Game Kit 2 discussions."

This is what steam says??

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2015 02:33
forget this post not bothered any more

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2015 15:36
For reference from another thread...

Quote: "Go to your TGC account page...My Products. At the top is a banner that says "You can view your Steam Keys here"...click it and watch the magic happen "

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2015 16:15
Well to be honest I am losing the will to live on here at the minute because half the sight doesn't work and can't get anywhere.

Rick says above about going on Steam forums, which I tried and it didn't work.

I bought AGK2 from this site and not Steam although I have a Steam account.

When I go into products no magic happens because there is nothing in the Steam key section.

I presume to get a steam key you need to purchase AGK2 from Steam??????

Ricks post doesn't say buy another copy of AGK2 from Steam just to use the forums which this is sort of saying as there is nothing in the Steam key then???

I take it this is another case of buy AGK2 from here and you can't use anything else eg Pascal version which is based on AGK1 and now the Steam forums because it looks like they want you to buy 2 copies of AGK2 to get it working or am I missing something.

Is this another case of broken site???

This is sooooo damn frustrating and in the end I lost my rag and threw the damn mouse on the desk and just thought forget it!

What does everyone else have in there product pages that have bought AGK2 on here?
What can you do and not do?
Why are there 2 forums with one getting answers from DEVS eg Steam and one not being bothered with other than the AppGameKit community? eg here.

Funnily enough I bought Gameguru and the forum let me on but I still can't submit artwork or photos etc as I presume you need a Steam key.

Has everyone on here that uses both forums then bought 2 versions of AGK2?

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2015 16:44
I have the keys at the very top of My Products (outside the grid)

<<It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.>> Dijkstra
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
@spectrepaul Hi Paul. I brought my copy of AGK2 on the TGC site and do not have any Steam keys for it. I haven't tried to post to the Steam forums for a while, but on those occasions I did, I never had any issues. Having said that though, I have not linked any of my TGC products to Steam.

www.polaraul.com
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2015 17:23
Yes I have checked and there is nothing in the Steam Key section, inside or out of the grid area.
I presume this is something to do with new customers, as I only bought it in Feb and the site for AGK/TGC is still broken.

I have sent an email to Rick because it is very frustrating.

If you bought this from a shop you would end up taking it back because of faults.

I am still annoyed that AppGameKit won't give AGK2 customers access to the Pascal version but this is another story as you know, however I have mentioned all this in the email so will have to see what happens here.

I just wish TGC would make their mind up where they want to go with this, as I am really pleased with the product as it does what I need and as I said before, extra features like 3D and debugger I am not even bothered about yet because I won't use them for a while but basics like the website and customer services is not acceptable in my book.

Surely after only 1 month and a half nearly of owning AppGameKit I shouldn't be feeling as frustrated as I am with the TGC team????

Thanks guys.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2015 18:54 Edited at: 6th Mar 2015 18:55
The web site works fine for me!

I would love for AppGameKit Pascal to be available, and would like to move on to V2, but Steam has made the situation more complicated, with Steam users and non-Steam users as two separate ghettos. As I said in the Pascal forum, it's a lot of work to produce the interfaces, and Jason I decided that we wouldn't bother. That may change, of course - but if we can't deploy it to ALL users it is pointless. Erik van Bilsen, the original architect, bowed out long ago because of his work load and the very slow progress on the AppGameKit engine.

It's understandable that TGC have concentrated on the BASIC system because the hobbyist is their market. The T2 C++ has always been a bit of an afterthought and, frankly, a mess. However, the graphics engine is actually very powerful, and some more advanced and elegant language interfaces would open it to more profession or advanced programmers; the addition of Python, C# and other languages would give it wider appeal, especially in the education market. It's not, essentially, very hard to do - just labour intensive!

The T1 debugger appears to be progressing. Why, I'm not sure. AppGameKit is rather simple, and an exception with the error point strikes me as adequate. The thought of new programmers let loose with break-points and the problems we'll see fills me with horror.

<<It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.>> Dijkstra
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2015 19:16 Edited at: 6th Mar 2015 19:17
Yes I just got really frustrated last night with it all. The Pascal thing is very labour intensive and I can understand about the AGK2 side of things, however I still believe that TGC should let us mess around with the AGK1 Pascal side especially when AGK2 has been purchased.
Like you said the graphics engine is good and it will just give us a bit more choice and creativity options.

Regarding Steam, I don't mind too much if it all goes to Steam to be honest as it will still be able to be updated and used off line so to speak regarding the Steam account, however having 2 forums split like it is, is not ideal in any way at all. It just confuses things more, especially when the forum on Steam seems to be updated by the DEVS more than here and you are left not knowing what to do. Have you had a look through the Steam forums, I was quite surprised people asking for things like specific tutorials and them being provided and things like Lee Bamber updating a post about someone with concerns.

Have you tried the gallery submission on the AppGameKit site? It asks you to log in and then the site messes up not letting you get further and look at the news section, it was last updated in 2013! Crazy

Well like I said I have sent an email to Rick asking about Pascal and Steam keys etc because I haven't got one in mine and can't use it as I should be able to.
Just little things like this get at me because they are easy fixes and seem like can't be bother approach.

AGK itself is great and I have no issues with it, still drawing loads of images and the Paint program is working a treat, next project to be looked at soon with the addition to the Paint program for the textures.

The Amiga and Amos were great!
Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
If you bought anything from Steam before, you should be able to post there.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Using AGK2 Tier 1
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2015 23:03
AGK's architecture is more or less ideal for different language interfaces. The powerful stuff is in a few object files. If your compiler can link to these, you can create a run-time system. The core has nothing to with BASIC - it's a series of function calls to (from your program's point of view) a series of external libraries.

Let's hope that when the dust settles or the steam condenses we can look again at the possibility to go at least twice as fast with as many extensions as you want.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 03:41
Well it looks like AGK2 purchased from here and Steam are identical 100% in every way.

AGK2 purchased from TGC + kickstarter = Steam key

AGK2 on Steam = Steam key

AGK2 from here = we don't want you on Steam, GOTO 10 buy identical version of AGK2 on Steam also in order to use forums there and have access to updates which you should have access to as an AGK2 customer anyway????

So that's your answer, if you don't have a Steam key. It means you purchased here and were not a kickstarter.

I am all for rewarding for being in on the kickstarter but surely not for a feature of a product which is identical that was purchased from here ????

I bought Gameguru and not kickstarter it gave me access to Steam forum funily enough but not artwork etc features. Just wondering now how I may be penalised for Gameguru updates too??

Good job TGC keep their customers happy though.
Oops sorry for error.

Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 12:18 Edited at: 10th Mar 2015 12:20
Hi,

No one is being penalised, we have no intention of sidelining users and we are investigating any potential problems.

I have spoken to Rick about this as it was only recently bought to my attention and I am consequently spending the day to address any immediate issues users may have.

This isn't really the place for GameGuru questions, but the ability to grab screen shots via Steam is currently inactive. We will be restoring it as soon as we can and are in contact with Valve.

We do value all of our customers and we do want to help you. I am always available to answer questions as is our support team and I will do my best to get back to all users as fast as possible.

Best,

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz (Passmark 9599) - Geforce GTX 650ti (Passmark 2708)
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 17:11
I will watch this space as I have already sent an email to Rick but I feel that if you purchase AGK2 and it is identical on both systems then you should be able to download from either and use either forum etc as it is just making things too complicated and fragmenting the site/forums for no reason.
I just think it is better to keep things simple but obviously there are pros and cons to both TGC and Steam.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm a bit surprised that TGC is still selling AppGameKit directly as opposed to just linking to the Steam page to consolidate the orders and maintenance. They are still offering a 33% discount on the official site, too (perhaps understandable since Steam takes a 30% cut if ordered there). It was stated before that Steam makes it much easier to push out updates and as such AppGameKit may get more frequent updates via Steam anyway; that is also the only venue to buy TGC's latest product, GameGuru. To me it'd make sense for TGC to give each original AppGameKit V2 owner a Steam key and just migrate all future sales and updates to that.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 18:16
Quote: "To me it'd make sense for TGC to give each original AppGameKit V2 owner a Steam key"

I have put this to them by emailing Rick, I think I went a bit mad too as I vented out all my frustrations with TGC at the same time.

Quote: "and just migrate all future sales and updates to that."

I also said I wouldn't mind this either. As far as I am concerned I just think things are getting too much split up and things need to be simpler for the forums, downloads and updates.

Different prices, forums, updates, etc just doesn't make sense to me.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 22:06:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 22:06:51