Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2015 20:38 Edited at: 29th Jan 2016 21:07

[EDIT]
Number of downloads to date:
22/01/16

iOS - 30
MAC - 146
Google -
Amazon -

Total:

Well now I have finished Paint Pot for now, I thought I would have a mess with my palette and menu system to create another app in a similar style to speed things up a bit and to get another app out for kids.

I still intend to do something on the lines of a game also whilst doing this but here is a quick picture for you to see where I am going with this.
Not 100% sure where I am going to go with this myself yet but there will not be any flood fill on this one as it is a Doodle Drawing app hence the name!

More to come when I am sure where this is going

This is a concept image at the minute as only the colour and menu palette/icons work yet

</div>
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2015 21:03
Nice! Add some doodle tutorials and it could be like an Art Academy for kids!

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2015 22:01
Quote: "Add some doodle tutorials"

Will have to look at that but it's a good idea Cheers

Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
kaband
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2015 02:01
Hey SpectrePaul,

Would you be willing to share how you handle the drawing? I'm trying to figure it out and doing a lousy job w. it. Doodle draw looks great btw.

Thanks!
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2015 02:53
Quote: "Would you be willing to share how you handle the drawing? "

If I ever come up with a good enough way of doing it then most definitely. At the moment the image above is a concept and not fully working yet.
I have a working version using memblocks but this has problems on mobile devices due to the dreaded slow get image from memblock command.

I have a theory that pixel shaders may do the job but I dont't know how to use them yet. I am researching though

Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
kaband
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2015 04:57
Cool. Hope you figure it out. What you are trying to do is way more complex than the simple pencil drawing I'm trying to add to my app. The best I can come up with (due to some examples I've found via google) is to draw a line between the Current X,Y and the Last X,Y then repeat. It works fairly well, but it does do some weird things I can't quite figure out yet.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2015 18:58 Edited at: 13th Jul 2015 22:35
I have a memblock version working with a simple draw method which is similar to Daniel Foreman's version in this youtube clip of his below.
It might be fine for you but is not very good for mobile.
Works fine on the PC though.

Still looking into though

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2015 19:24
You can draw sprites to a render image using DrawSprite(), draw the same sprite many times between the users last pointer position and the most recent.

You then use a shader to take this image and place it on top of the composite image of all strokes drawn to this point.

The reason you do it like this is because you can use different shaders to subtract latest stroke for an eraser, or blur etc

It is very fast on mobile, it can get a bit slower when adding masks or other more advanced features.

There is more info on this technique somewhere on this forum, if you can't find it I will have a search for you.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2015 19:59
Cheers Matty, I will have a search in a minute, as I said I have a memblock simple version working however memblocks are not great for the copy image from memblock on mobile devices and the FPS gradually goes down and down until around 1 or 2 fps but works fine on a PC.

I was thinking of doing a version with DrawSprite() as I did this with Paint Pot copying all the sprites to a render image to then save a picture however was unsure how to get it working fast and fluid on a mobile device.

It seems these shaders are a great way to go with AppGameKit, will really need to look into them as they seem quite powerful.

I seem to remember someone doing a drawing app with AppGameKit, can't remember what it was called now but maybe that used shaders.

Searching..............

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2015 21:01 Edited at: 8th Jun 2015 21:16
Questions for a painting app (eraser tool...)

Okay, just found this link on the forum to a shader paint routine.
I just tried it on Windows and it seems to work great, however when I broadcast it to the Android Tablet it also copies a lot of mess on the screen too as well as the brush.

Will this only work on the PC as the frame rates are very good 300 fps on PC and around 92 fps on the tablet.

I am a lot puzzled

First I don't fully understand the shader (will really have to study it) but the messed up screen is strange when it works on the PC.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2015 21:22
Blimey shaders are mashing my brain! lol

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2015 23:34
Ok, I have got rid of the shader and started to use CreateRenderImage() and have realised there is something wrong with this side of things and not the shader causing the problem of corrupt screen.

Sprite is being pasted at funny co-ords also as if offset. Think this may be something to do with the power of 2 thing?

Screen res is 800 x 1280 however the drawing area is 800 x 1100, I have created a render image the same size as the drawing area.
Dos this sound like the problem.

Once I get this going I can then try and get the shader on it to see what happens with that

[href=http:leap.my-free.website/]My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here![/href]
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2015 11:41
Yes, this is a problem on android. Render images must be power of 2. So your render image may be 1024x1024, you can scale the sprite up to cover the whole screen or just have a border either side.

You could also maybe create many render images at say 128x128 and place them together in a grid. I'm not sure if this will run faster, it would definitely use less memory though, but it would add complexity to an already complex process

I think there is also a problem on android, ios and windows work fine but on android the aspect of the main image increases/decreases for some reason. I have spoken to Paul about it and he will be looking into it. Let me know if you get this issue at any point?

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2015 14:02
Yes I am having all sorts of problems with render images, no matter what I try either the screen is corrupt or the pasted sprite is pasted at the wrong location due to aspect being wrong.
I can get it to look good on the PC but as soon as I broadcast the game to Android it corrupts.

I really think AppGameKit needs some native drawing commands, not many but when you look back to the days of Amos it was so simple to do this stuff with a double buffered screen.

Commands needed:

Floodfill(x,y,r,b,g,a)
PixelPointColor(x,y)
PlotPixel(x,y,r,g,b,a)
PasteSpritetoScreen(x,y,scr) - paste to any screen or screen sprite.

A lot could be done with memblocks but the the get image from memblock is useless due to slow speed in a game loop.

Render images should be able to be any size and be able to be shown on any screen.
The draw sprite should be able to just paste onto any screen or even to be pasted to a screen sprite which would be even better.

All the above commands would be great to be able to work on a srite image so the screen sprite is updated instantly.

Really not sure where to go with this now, I even got the shaders working and great work with that Matty by the way.

Anyone out there got a working drawing method on the Android system in tier 1 who would like to share methods?

Cheeres and back to the drawing board scratching head time.

Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi spectrepaul,

I made something long time ago:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=193886&b=41

Not sure if you can use any of that, dont think the code will work in agk2 so many things has changed for the better , but it worked by recording from and to points, so a straight line would only use one sprite, it resized and rotate the sprite to fit the line.

function line( l, x, y, xx, yy , r , g , b , s)
SetSpriteColor ( spritelines[l] , r , g , b , 255 )
SetSpritePosition( spritelines[l] , x , y )
dx = x-xx
dy = y-yy
di = sqrt( (dx)^2 + (dy)^2 ) // calc dist
setSpriteSize ( spritelines[l] , s, di )
SetSpriteOffset( spritelines[l] , 1 , 1 )
sngAngle = aTanFull( dx , dy )
setSpriteAngle ( spritelines[l] , sngAngle )
endfunction l

Hope you can use some of it.

best regards Preben Eriksen,
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2015 16:35
Cheers Preben will have a good look at that, I am sure that some of it will be handy

I think I am stuck in the 90‘s because I am missing Amos

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2015 19:19
Looking at some other examples etc, this is what I have without a shader using the Render Image. A brush image is attached.

Although this works on the PC and to a certain extent on Android 4.4.4, on Android 4.2.1 it gives a corrupt screen.
On Android it also draws the sprite at an incorrect position but I am not sure if that is due to the render image size not being a power of 2?

Works quite well other than that. lol

Attachments

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2015 19:35
@Preben, here is your code working in AGK2 so I have tried it and saw it running on Android now
To be honest it didn't need much changing and was just a couple of Syntax things which must have been since AGK1.

Works quite well with the lines etc, will have to see if I can take out just the drawing commands and see what that is like

Cheers.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2015 20:24
Still looking at this at the minute but does anyone know how to get Render Images to work in Android, I think it is very bugged!

Answer I have got from TGC via email at the moment is, have you tried memblocks and the Render Images dismissed.

I have already tried memblock but the copy image from memblock is very slow and makes it not very usable on mobiles with screen sizes of 1280 x 800.

Lot's of issues.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2015 19:44
Well Paul Johnston has sorted the render image issue out and the drawing method works great now!

@kaband

here is the code so hope fully it will help you with your drawing app too You will need the attached brush to test it.

Also there is a nice bit of code by CJB here which is another way of doing it.

and then there is prebens method in his routine which is also another great way of drawing to the screen.

So I think now we have a great working way of drawing to the screen and shaders will then be the next thing to add to it

Watch this space for further updates of Doodle Draw.

Attachments

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2015 23:22
Well I have implemented the new code into Doodle Draw and it is working good!

I have a few things to iron out and thinking of how to implement some of the brush tools etc now but this app is getting there, will try and upload a video soon of it working.

Cheers Paul Johnston for your help

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 23:09
There seems to be a bit of a strange thing happening with the draw code when broadcasting it on Android which I didn't notice before and that is the colours start to fade and bleed into each other, especially near to the top of the screen.

Very odd.

It seems Android is a bit hit and miss with these render images still.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2015 23:41
Okay update:

I have decided to release this on iOS only as Android is really not working how it should and I don't want to turn this into a monster of an app. The reason for this is that I just wanted to release a fun, quick app based on some of my work with Paint Pot.

So, I have done a bit more to it and now have drawing with the finger working using 4 different brush sizes. This could be more as it uses one brush but resizes the drawing brush when you press some buttons on the menu pull down bar.

All the colour brushes work as per Paint Pot method for choosing colours, however this time I am getting rid of the grey brush and having a multi colour brush, so every time you touch the screen it draws with a random colour. Gets some good colourful effects as this is also working.

Clear screen and undo work so nearly everything is working now but have to draw and modify a couple of new icons for it and also at the moment I have a strange thing with the save picture part.

I use the print image command to save the picture on iOS which works fine but when I check it in the gallery instead of having a black background it has a white one

Anyone got any ideas? This is a bit of my code for the save screen.
Clear screen colour is set to black and the screen looks black in the app, just white when look at it in the gallery.
Bit strange as I use a similar method in Paint Pot but that saves correctly.
Just wondering if this is also something to do with the render images.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 18:28 Edited at: 6th Jul 2015 18:29
This will now be my entry for:

Attachments

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2015 22:40
Here is Doodle Draw working so far, it is supposed to be finished for NAGACREMO in August but I have nearly completed it now lol, however just watch the save feature which saves the picture with a white background instead of the black. Any ideas. Look below for sample from code for the save.
I use the same technique for saving as Paint Pot but that saves correctly so not sure what I have done

Clear screen colour is set to black.

I do have to create an icon for the iOS app store yet and also splash screens so might still be August yet lol

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yes, this is a problem on android. Render images must be power of 2. So your render image may be 1024x1024, you can scale the sprite up to cover the whole screen or just have a border either side."

This issue is what has caused me to generally use other engines when having to deal with precisely-sized render textures. Other engines have always handled it just fine, where you can create a render image/texture at the exact screen dimensions or any other value and it will behave properly.

Quote: " Well Paul Johnston has sorted the render image issue out and the drawing method works great now! "

Great! I haven't had much a chance to play with AppGameKit in some time but this is good news if the renderimage display issue (multiples of 2, etc.) has been solved.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2015 23:56
Not so sure now to be honest as there still seems to be a problem on Android only, works well on everything else I think so far although the PrintImage command I am having a little trouble with and not sure if the RenderImage is the fault?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=214917&b=41

This is why I am just releasing this on iOS when done and not Android but then I am going to leave using RenderImages and MemBlocks for my future projects in favour of using Sprites instead.

Having a big rethink to how I code but just for my first 2 projects I picked I had the idea in my head that I could use this like Amos or DBPro lol. I think I have picked the hardest projects to start with that I could have done!

I have a book with around 15 to 20 ideas and sketches for future projects and they all use sprites now haha.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2015 22:16
Well the program is finished now for release on the iOS store and the icon is complete. Just need to create the app from AppGameKit and then do some screen shots and it will be on the store to download

Just a shame couldn't get it to work correctly on Android but never mind.

So completed it for nagacremo but there will be about a few weeks delay before it appears on the app store, 1 because it's my wedding anniversary and the Mrs won't take kindly to me missing it so have a week off and 2 because of the wait time then for the app store to accept it lol

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2015 16:26 Edited at: 21st Aug 2015 16:27
Well Doodle Draw is complete and awaiting review on the iOS app store

Will wait around 2 weeks now for it to upload on the iTunes store.

Attachments

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 22:29
Well same for Doodle Draw as Paint Pot Lite here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=213305&b=48&p=3

2nd time rejected on iOS, 3rd time lucky

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2015 00:59 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2015 01:07
Well 3rd time lucky and Doodle Draw is now available on the iOS app store.

Here are a few free download codes if anyone want's to help out and download with some nice reviews

Thanks guys!

CODES:

PWLWXY79EY9W
EAXL36E4R6JX
RYTLLL7JPELA
XKJ79L94TPKK
JN7X3TP9WL9K
PHPHJT47R3T3
XA6LNF7FKERW
XJ7NM6NWLPA7
69LJJHL76HF7
J7FTJXRFNEWW
33JL7L96KPLX
YEH7R4497PJE
4F3WAJFL3WKM
T77MHPJX3RLF
JATJ7RW6M4JL
TMR6EW3FP4FJ
NY6FYLAWMYXP
X6K6REMTYHEF
4X3FXLHRKAHX
FF4XFHXAMJMX

If you intend to do a kids app and want to have a button linked to your store, it is worth looking at this app to see how I managed to get it accepted!!

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2015 01:10
Quote: "Well 3rd time lucky and Doodle Draw is now available on the iOS app store."

Congrats on Success!!!

I will have to take advantage of a free download

Beta Test Age of Knights:https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_AgeOfKnights
Download JellyFish Dive:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 09:19:39
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 09:19:39