Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / how to fix lagg

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
ok my game is very small but has some serious lagg, the sample game is bigger then mine but has no lagg at all can some one please tell me how to corrrwct this
Anime civil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2005 12:05
Try upgrading your computer.

Velocity Designs - Coming Soon
Glenn Carter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2005 17:43
Anime civil, not a very useful answer to the question. If you're not going to help, don't bother posting. Not everyone has the cash to constantly upgrade and besides which he said the sample game ran ok.

lostsoul1, there are several things you can do to reduce lag:

General things:

1. Reduce the games resolution. It says how to in the pdf manual.

2. Reduce the texture quality.

3. Turn off dynamic lighting.

4. Turn off the pixel shading.

Things specific to the game:

1. Don't have a load of enemies all bunched in one quite small area.

2. Don't have too many dynamic entities too close together.

3. Don't use too much by way of wide open spaces.

4. Ensure corriders and rooms are closed off.

5. Make sure you put a roof on enclosed areas.

7. Space out your level a bit more with long corriders etc.

Thats all I can think of at the moment, but take a look at the manual. There is a bunch of very useful tips on keeping performance high.

Hope some of this helps...

Glenn Carter
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2005 05:32
build the game everytimes you want to test

PDAC 4 Ever! http://www.pdac-online.com
Current Projects: House Maker 1.0, The Killer 3D
[url=www.pdac-online.com][img]www.pdac-online.com/PDAC%20Logo.jpg[/img][/url]
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2005 10:13
lostsoul1,

If you mean general overall slow FPS, there are some well made and well known points of advice here that are genrally specified as aiding maintaining good frame rates with game making in the indie engine world.

If you refer to the lagg poping up in rather unexplained positions there is a known prob with FPSC in that respect. Like a single floor tile or even part of a tile can make a massive difference in frame rates and player movement - taking it from an average normal to a complete stop and then back again i.e. one tile shows 27fps 800 polys - next shows 8 fps 27000 polys then next shows 27fps 8000 polys again - always moving forward and the camera view area diminising - this of course is nonsense and the level cant have a change in the number of Polys like that its simply not possible as less world is actually in view as I move forward - only a very small amount actually - thats why I get 8000 polys which perhaps is correct - not 27000. FPSC is at fault and is just making up the Poly number of its own accord like magic. In fact I have levels where there are around 50,000 Polys and I can still move around effectively, so its very erratic - there are other forces at work here. These lagg spots can move around as you build the level sometimes even clearing away when you add more content (more polygons) sometimes coming back as you build or poping up elsewhere - rather frustrating. I think Lee is aware of it and has said so. If thats what you refer to a bigger system wont make any diff - its internal to FPSC. I got a massive dual processor system and these lagg spots still pop up and FPS overall is not good anyway to start with.

I tend to get rid of the lagg spots by trial and error or close them off from the player by redesigning the level - the rest of the level then plays fine.

I have two or three in a level I am building now - addmitedly - they are at the extremes of the 40 tile level near the boundary but I get like 29 fps then all of a sudden (next tile) 0 fps and the game hangs - If I wait a minute it usually comes back and If lucky I can move back to the previous tile and everythings OK - otherwise I got a test hang - which is a pain.

Hope that helps

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 06:14:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 06:14:24