Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Nuclear Glory and where NGC is headed

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 09:22 Edited at: 9th Jun 2005 09:24
I would like to start by saying that we're working hard to bring you the new NGC and a new set of tools.

I'm actually in the middle of writing something at the moment and started feeling (strongly) that I needed to give some justification for our actions over the past 8 months.

I'm a strong believer in keeping personal and business issues separated. However, I don't know how to give justification without getting into the personal end of it.

Additionally, I'm not fond of the idea of admitting the situation with NG since people (generally) seem to think of us as a big corp. (that forgot about them). In reality, however, we're a 1 or 2 man operation with no corp. building that are continually thinking about our clients.

Before I get started, know this is not a sob story. I just want to show the logistical side of things so you can see why things happened the way they did. I will end by addressing where we're headed in development and how close we are.

We first announced NGC here I was fairly young, only 17 or 18. I was still with my parents. Things went well for awhile (with a cable connection). My Dad went cultish and crazy. My mother, my sister, and I all had to get out of the house and find a place to live (after he drained the bank accounts). The entire family sided with my Father and all our 'friends' vanished. We landed in a small house with the help of HUD. Then I designed on launched NN over my new dialup connection (14.4). A little time passed as we got some new NG projects up. Things started happening with the house (flooded basement, gasoline smells, etc..) and the landlord (and HUD) pinned it on us. My Mom's attorney told me I need to get out of Dodge before everything caved in (and they went after my bank accounts).

This puts us into Sept. of last year. I called around to find someone to stay with (I had no car either). No takers. The first person to say "yes" was in Alaska.

This sticks me in Alaska. NGC3 is written and released and the contract with TGC is signed. The person I'm with in Alaska starts wanting more and more money (taking advantage of the NG rise) so I gunned it, changed everything over to wireless, bought a car in Long Island on eBay, and flew to Long Island, NY.

I'm in LI, the guy with the car wants to know my story. He hears the story and thinks I might be a criminal (this is NY) and is afraid to let me drive the car away. (since he's between two police stations).

I stay the night in a L.I. train station in Dec. (cold) I reach one of my contacts in LI and he picks me up and takes me to the DMV so I can get the car up to par. I drive the car around the corner and my tailpipe curls up under the backend of my car almost clipping my brake line. I go and get a hacksaw and saw off my tailpipe. Later I find that the gas tank leaks too if you put more than half a tank of gas in.

I spend about 4 or so days driving from New York to AZ. I meet up with my 2nd in command and stay with him as we get back on our feet.

That's where I am now and have been since the beggining of Jan.

I'm 20 y.o now and surrounded by people that all want to see NG succeed.

Since that time we've redone the site and have been working on our new engine (we cannot survive off the NGC alone and everything got over-extended before). The engine floats somewhere around 30,000 to 50,000 lines in size currently.

My 2nd in command has been on a dialup connection all of this time. We're just now getting a DSL connection (within the next week or so) and will see the revivial of NN and all of our other tools.

In appreciation to all of our buyers (when we release all of our new tools) we're going to give all of you a chance to get the tools at half-price in addition to some possible freebies for waiting.

We're coming around the corner (finally) with our engine and the new NGC is on the horizon.

To put it simply:

As long as I'm alive, so is NG

If we're down, we're working on it.

If something is wrong with our software (and we know), you can bet we're working on it already.

With software we sometimes have a tenancy to get absorbed with making something work perfect and forget that 3rd parties are waiting to see updates. We're revising how we handle this so you all, too, can see that the balls are to the walls.

There you have it. I hate about 80% of the above text cause it's not saying "NGC has this now" and "NG is working over here to bring you this" and "We're doing this to resolve problems A, B, and C".

This is probably the only post you'll see like this. I hate the idea of looking like we're "whining" in place where we're to present ourselves professionally.

Now. Back to the a-bomb.

Lead Programmer/Director
Powerful Collision DLL for DBPro and DBC: http://www.nuclearglory.com
Lightwave Scene Exporter to .X also at: http://www.nuclearglory.com
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 09:37
Sounds like you've had more than your share of troubles!
You should be really proud of yourself for accomplishing so much at such a young age with NGC. I was a buyer of version 3. I'm 24 now and haven't ever really accomplished anything. If I made a product I could actually sell, as you did, I wouldn't know what to think of myself.
I imagine you feel a lot of pressure with it, but maybe if people realize you aren't some huge team of 20-50 people they'll lay off a bit and let things be.
Best of luck to you, and hope everything starts looking up a bit more for you. I'll be sure to help a little and get the new NGC when it arrives. I look forward to seeing it.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 09:57
Long time no see! It's nice to read your story as there are a lot of faceless companies out there! I'm glad to hear that things in your life are going up--- just remember that there's a reason for everything in life

--[R.O.B.O.I. and FireTris Coming Soon]--
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 09:59 Edited at: 9th Jun 2005 10:00
God how I miss Alaska...

-This...is my boomstick!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 10:31
It's great to hear from you, and to see you've got a lot of passion for your programming. Congrats for pulling through and I hope things will keep improving. Looking forward to new NG products ...

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 12:40
Welcome back Matt Great to hear from you again, was getting abit worried! Glad to see your on your feet Cant wait to see what new and exciting things come out of NG, as Im sure they will be superb

Welcome Back!

RPGamer

Click here to join our forums and get updates on game progress sooner!
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 15:55
I was so lost and confused when I saw the new site. Your story is both a relief and an inspiration. I'm excited to hear what you guys will accomplish in the future.

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: A Redneck game
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 18:29 Edited at: 9th Jun 2005 18:30
Just to repeat what I said in the other thread...nice to hear from you!

BatVink
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 18:35
The same, sorry about the hard times.

Dumbo and Cool

WIP Board!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 19:14
Hold the phone, I think I need some clarification here... what exactly is 'NGC'?

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 19:23
His collision library.

NG Collision I think

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I hesitated before I first posted this topic, thinking I might be shooting myself in the foot. So I appreciate not being gunned at

We're really just trying to move passed this point. I didn't want to post this in the journal as I don't want to advertise "hey look, we had rough goings once" to our new clients as we move into the future. I just thought it right to give the TGC community a reference point since all of you have been supportive in helping us get on our feet in the first place.

The NGC cashflow at the time is what paid my gas money when I drove across the states. And the TGC community has made NGC the success it is. So, without all of you I don't know what would've happened. Literally...

But, to a more positive point, we do have some super cool stuff slated. So hopefully we can make NG worth your time and patronage (all over again).

------

Thanks FakeBlood. V3 users will receive v4 for free, but we won't stop you from donating

Hey Jeku, good to hear from you again as well. That's pretty funny because my 2nd in command always says that.

@Mouse
Thanks

@RPGamer
Hey man Worried? About me!? Ha

@BearCDP
That's good to hear. I was prepared to get flamed so all of the above posts were refreshing.

@BatVink
It's good to see you again! And thanks. Yes, v3 turned pear shaped, all of our new stuff will not be. That one was our dud. If it had to be compraed to something.... Microsoft had their millennium and we had our NGC3.

@Drew Cameron
It's cool.

@Exeat
What JohnY said.

Lead Programmer/Director
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 22:23 Edited at: 9th Jun 2005 22:25
I'm afraid I've never heard of it...

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 22:39 Edited at: 9th Jun 2005 22:40
lol, I guess I'll have to start rampaging "tech support" again so you you'll remember it.

P.S.
...wanders off whistling some tune about DSL

Lead Programmer/Director
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 00:37 Edited at: 10th Jun 2005 00:40
Exeat: I cant believe youve never heard of it...theres been to many threads about it

Matthew: Do you have a link to the Lightwave .x Exporter? I know someone who needs it.

Click here to join our forums and get updates on game progress sooner!
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 01:55
Wow looks like you have gone through alot.....makes me want to donate to the cause(sp) but iam broke....well good luck with NGC!

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 02:08
Hey man,
Good luck with your future endevours into the game engine, and I hope that NGC integrates nice and tightly into it

Have fun doing what you love to do, and don't let the world get you down!

As the Monty Python boys say;
Always look on the bright side of life

Jess.

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 02:31
I look forward to my free V4 !

I bought V2 and V3 and still not written one program with it.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 02:43
Hehe the NGC DLL was the first third party app I purchased for DBP, but like Spooky, I've never had to use it yet. I don't even remember which version I have--- probaby 2

--[R.O.B.O.I. and FireTris Coming Soon]--
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
@RPGamer
The page is here: http://www.nuclearglory.com/lw2dx.php

Ignore the fact it's on the old template of the site. As soon as the DSL setup arrives and is cookin' I'm going to change over the whole site. It's pure suckiness to debug & test a storefront system over dialup.

Thanks Oneka

@JessTicular
Yep, the NGC will actually be a custom write for it and then we'll mod-it-out for the other engines (like DB, etc....)

Thanks for the words of encouragement, it helps to know that the "Knights who say, 'nee!'" are backin' me up.

Actually, I'm trying to get geared up and ready in-the-event the my Mother dies. My sister's only 11/12 and is terrified that she'll have to go back with my Dad if my Mom dies. So, in that case, I would have to go up there and fight him off with a legal stick. My Mom had a fluke and sudden 105 fever so she started getting on my case about it all, that's what brought it up. She's fine now, but I don't want to be asleep at the wheel.

@spooky
Yes, but it's all about knowing it's there, isn't it?

Lead Programmer/Director
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 03:03
Quote: "Hehe the NGC DLL was the first third party app I purchased for DBP, but like Spooky, I've never had to use it yet. I don't even remember which version I have--- probaby 2 "

Same. I bought 2 at the time (the one that came with the demo of the guy walking around wit hteh elevator).

Didn't use it much, but recently for a few thing it's been invaluable.

Didn't pay to upgrade to 3 though, heard at few things about speed. Will 4 be faster?

Facts are meaningless.
You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 03:06
I bought it and use it every time I need collision. It's WICKED AWESOME.

Maybe you chaps are scared to use it... it's ok, it warms up nicely. Just don't pet it against the grain.

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Will 4 be faster?"

Yes. To put in bluntly, when v3 was designed I didn't know assembly, and now I do. I can tweak the plugin clear down to the hex level.

I will see to the fact that it's mind blowing.

I want to add physics to it as well, but the TGC blokes haven't provided me with the direct integration information I need. So you'll all have to suffer seeing the awesome physics it can do in our engine

Thanks Jimmy. We need "Jimmy's 'WICKED AWESOME' seal of approval" now. Wanna make one?

Lead Programmer/Director
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 03:44 Edited at: 10th Jun 2005 03:48

Attachments

Login to view attachments
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Perfect. I'll use that here when we launch v4.

Is Mussi still around these days?

Lead Programmer/Director
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 04:34
Good point, haven't seen him around for a while.

Facts are meaningless.
You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 04:39
Shut up and code

-This...is my boomstick!
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
@David T
I heard he was working on a demo or something for some company or organization or something. Maybe they stole him.

@Cellbloc Studios
I'm working on the docs for N3D. There's a butload of commands (500+) I come back and post ONLY after completing an entire section (the last section was short). I don't want to miss anything anymore. I've got a big section coming up after the next one, so I'll probably be gone for a few hours. Think you can cope?

Lead Programmer/Director
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 05:13
Yeap. Thanks!

-This...is my boomstick!
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 05:49
Great to see you back, i'm sorry to hear about the hard times you've had! Hope everything goes well for you in the future, and looking forward to further versions of your software!

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 06:18
Quote: "I want to add physics to it as well, but the TGC blokes haven't provided me with the direct integration information I need. So you'll all have to suffer seeing the awesome physics it can do in our engine"

Let me know what sort of information you need and I'll see if I've got it.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 06:52
I too am a firm believer in not posting my personal life on forums, but every once in a while it's gotta come out.

Anyway, glad to see you're back and doing some great work. I've been curious about N3D for quite some time. I'm sure it'll be quite popular since it seems you have DevCPP support as well.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 06:54
Wow, it sure sounds like you've had a tough time
I'm not gonna say I'm buying your software because I feel sorry for you(although I do), but simply because it's...

WICKED AWESOME!

I'm planning to but NGC very soon. But if I pay for version 3, then can I get version 2 until verison 4 is released? I'd love that. And I'm quite exited about that NG3D Engine thing of yours, sounds nice.

But good luck in the furure!

*** PANZERGAMES ***
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Merix!

Quote: "Let me know what sort of information you need and I'll see if I've got it."

A: Object rotation matrice information. Either we need direct access to the object matrices in the engine OR we need to know EXACTLY how they compile their rotation matrices in DBP (the order being very important)

B: A direct method of accessing the object mesh information (both retrieving the object mesh data info AND setting the object mesh data). We need the first one to load the mesh information into the engine for collision and we need both of them to do the real-time physics. Example: Making the verts in a cloth object move around.

With physics at the mesh level it's important that we don't have to go "the long way around" to make it happen as we're currently doing in both v2 and v3.

Anything you could dig up would be greatly appreciated.

@MikeS
Yes, she is a very nice work in progress. She's unglorified at this point since we've been wroking our way from the bottom up (clear down to the icon and image formats, windows image handling, etc...). Once we add the 3D I think it'll get a lot of exposure. It's cool because the 3D is in the next update, so it's all around the corner.

@KLU 007

Thank you

--- clip from email ---
If you purchase v3 we have no problems sending v2 to you for free. You will still also receive the v4 upgrade for free.

So in short, you could look at your purchase of v3 as getting you v2, v3, and v4 all in one swing.
--- end clip ---

Lead Programmer/Director
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 08:20 Edited at: 10th Jun 2005 08:21
Quote: "V3 users will receive v4 for free"

Yay, I've not used it much, but then again I've only had it since Christmas

Well done in geting through that and to a stable position.

Banjoman says:
I love Richard Davey
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 09:08
Quote: "V3 users will receive v4 for free"

Fantastic ! Ive only just started using Nuclear Glory and im most impressed though i still use a mix of this and sparky's dll.
What im wondering is about compatibility, When version 4 is released will I be able to just replace version 3 and instantly reap the rewards of faster collision (which will really help jazz !)? or will there be a fair bit of fixing to do.

If you want to rate it on a scale then lets say it ranges from total plug and play all the way down to DBC to DBP upgrade
Thanks

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Neofish.

@Baggers
It falls in the category of "almost plug n play". If you ever used the DirectX SDK you'll know what I mean. 95% of the system is the same, a few commands are removed (or renamed/restructured), and usually new commands are added.

The NGC interface, from the start, was designed for backward compatibility. It uses an NGCollision.dba file allowing us to just modify the "brains" and "interfacing" on that level making the work you have to do minimal.

To make it short: No, you will not have to suffer through a series of command changes or restructuring.

Lead Programmer/Director
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 11:02
Awesome thanks man, cant wait for it !

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 17:41
When the new site is up and running will the old forum threads be restored or are they lost?

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 18:22
i feel since this extension is valued by a lot of users that it warrants to be sticky for a few days so people can view this thread

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself 
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Indi

Quote: "When the new site is up and running will the old forum threads be restored or are they lost?"

All of the forum posts are still there. Our forum software will be updated before re-activating them however. Additionally, many of the later "where are you guys?" "what's going on?" posts will be deleted to make way for future ventures.

We left the forums down because that's all we were getting for posts. We will not re-activate the forums until NGC v4.0 is released.

Lead Programmer/Director
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
If everything goes according to plan, re-design of the DBP version of the NGC should start anywhere between June 21 and June 24. A special thanks goes out to Sparky for sending me, what looks to be, exactly what I need for direct integration of the new dll.

We have to run some tests on exactly how DBP updates vert information, and should everything be up to par, v4 will be NGCP. (Nuclear Glory Collision/Physics)

All of the core functionality will be designed and tested in N3D first, so I will have running examples for you all before the DBP version is actually finished.

I have an idea for a demo where you can load up any of your worlds and test collision of one (or more) ellips moving around, etc... That should give everyone a chance to test what the "brain" can do in it's unrestricted form.

If any of that is lost on the conversion over to DBP it's due to that fact that they just don't have a command for it plugged in yet (ie: we don't have access to something).

Just keeping you all posted.

Lead Programmer/Director
Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2005 09:22
Glad your back on track!

I skipped NGC v3, but I'll get v4, I'm sure.

- Rpg Cyco

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2005 11:56
it might still be a while before I'll buy NGC, because I'm going to buy BlueGUI tomorrow. But I'll still get NGC, that's for sure.

*** PANZERGAMES ***
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2005 08:20 Edited at: 13th Jun 2005 08:20
Thanks all

v4 will not increase the price of the NGC either, so you don't have to worry about missing out price wise.

Everything's on time. We/You should see some cool things happen with N3D this week in preparation for the NGC development.

Lead Programmer/Director
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 00:40
Quote: "v4 will be NGCP. (Nuclear Glory Collision/Physics)"

Mmmmmm... yum, ngc collision AND physics all in one package...

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 11:12 Edited at: 14th Jun 2005 14:33

DSL access now working. Been awhile since I had my teeth in something this juicy

Edit:
It's going to be a good night.

I'd like to say THANK YOU again to this community.

I hereby dedicate the song "Fall Back Down" by Rancid to you all. Those of you with a decent net connection can watch the music video for it at http://www.launch.com for free.

Will likely have news in the A.M. and live help back up shortly.

Lead Programmer/Director
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 21:33
NG,
Glad you're back on track now, mate

It's a great feeling when everything falls into place after you've worked so hard for it, isn't it?

You truely are dedicated, and it shows in the quality of your releases, which are about to be topped by your own work once again!

Good work

Jess.

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 11:59 Edited at: 15th Jun 2005 12:01
Thanks.

Quote: "It's a great feeling when everything falls into place after you've worked so hard for it, isn't it?"

Yes it is. What's amazing is that contacts (some of which we haven't actually communicated with in 2+ years) suddenly all showed up. (Within the last 7 days)

I couldn't have asked for better timing.

-----

The new N3D release happens tonight.

Live help is back up. It's manned, so live help will be available (almost) 24 hours a day. There's an off chance I could be asleep and the "beep" won't wake me up, other than those times live help will be available for anyone who needs it.

If you want to see (just for the heck of it) go to http://www.nuclearglory.com, click on the girl, and give me hell

I'll keep everyone posted on progress.

We started to fall behind schedule (do to a whole fleet of bugs we found at the last minute and had to fix) but we're catching up quickly.

Lead Programmer/Director
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 15:54
Quote: "There's an off chance I could be asleep and the "beep" won't wake me up, other than those times live help will be available for anyone who needs it."

Don't let it wake you up lol. There aren't many things that can't wait 6 or 8 hours

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 12:06:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 12:06:17