Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Connect More [Puzzke compo, DarkSDK + Newton]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2005 19:00 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2005 19:02
I had a WIP post, but the game is "done" now, so here it is in the Program Announcements!

this is a simple tetris-like puzzle-action game that uses realistic physics to make the gameplay a bit more interesting. just get 4 balls of the same color to touch and they dissappear. try for combos for extra points, and make use of the special balls (wild, bombs).

This game was written completely in C++ using the DarkSDK in conjunction with the Newton Game Dynamics physics engine which you all probably know by now. anyway writing in direct C++ makes lots of cool things possible, like the amazing material system which is used extensively in the game.

anyway the C++ source is included for anyone interested in how to make Newton and DarkSDK work together. there are even a few classes that you can readily re-use to get physics-controlled objects up and running quick.

SCREENSHOTS

last but not least,
DOWNLOAD LINK - zip archive, just extract and run!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2005 19:25
Quite nice - seems to slow down every so often unfortunately

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2005 21:28
I'd advise switching from windowed mode to full screen exclusive as currently if I click the right spot the program minimises and so obviously when I try to load it back up it doesn't like it.
Great game though...would be nice to see the rate at which the balls come in speed up more significantly though, its currently a bit easy.
Keep up the great work though !

Ravey
Retired TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2005 22:39
Hey nice work - i like this game

Regards,
Dave Milton
ravey@thegamecreators.com
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2005 22:58
Hi !!
I can say only one only thing : EXTRA !!

I of it am almost jealous,continue, you will have to make fury !!

@++

Captain-Ouais !

I am against the fact that one is not for,sometimes it is the opposite (Google translation ) :p
Atari 2600 mega-overcloked (quake 3 FPS : 80)
robo cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2005 01:43
Great game, really professional!

There is one problem I had, but I don't know whether you can fix it. When I was playing a message popped up from my firewall (nothing to do with your game) and this minimised your game. When I closed the pop up window and tried to maximize your game, it went to a black full screen. The sound and the game was still playing (and I was able to quit) but the game had stopped drawing to the screen after it was maximized again. Probably nothing too major to fix, but might be an annoyance if the judges minimise it during judging.

Simple... yet fun!
Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2005 04:11 Edited at: 24th Jun 2005 04:20
Nice work! I accidently got the black screen too.

Breaking Stuff=Fun!,Bug Testing<>Fun!, Bug Testing=Breaking Stuff, so...
Bug Testing=Fun! Hmmmm....
DOES NOT COMPUTE! SYSTEM MALFUNTION!
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2005 04:14
the minimize-thing is a direct-X issue that is a problem with both DarkSDK and DBPRo, so there's really nothing I can do about it...

thanks for the comments though!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2005 04:21 Edited at: 24th Jun 2005 04:26
I have a fix for it in dbpro(on my software anyway). But it has what a puzzle game should. Fun addictive gameplay and a jump right in control mode. Plus nice use of the physics.

1 thing that help is to run it in windowed mode. With the window the same size as the desktop and use set layout 0,0,0 it will make DB Pro pretend to be in full screen mode you just have to grab the destop size at the beginning of your program. It fixed some issues in my software it might work for you.

Breaking Stuff=Fun!,Bug Testing<>Fun!, Bug Testing=Breaking Stuff, so...
Bug Testing=Fun! Hmmmm....
DOES NOT COMPUTE! SYSTEM MALFUNTION!
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2005 07:14
Reminds me of Bounce.

-This...is my boomstick!
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2005 22:02
Walaber: what is it due to ?...if its just clicking outside the window you could try the: POSITION MOUSE X,Y command, but you may have tried that already, ah well. Good game !

p.s. theres always Keaz's method too !

fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2005 00:59
Hi walaber,

As with all your stuff this looks great and the idea is simple but well executed.

Unfortunately I can't really play it as intended for a couple of reasons.

I've had the black screen issue several times (it took 3 attempts to get past the menu screen). I keep seeing the windows menus and mousepointer flickering through the background and I've certainly never come across anything like that before. It may be worth looking at what display mode you are using as others have suggested.

Also as I'm running this on a P4 1.6Ghz GF2 beast of a PC the slowdown when I fired a ball made it pretty much unplayable. In the end I just started firing the balls at the stack of other balls and knocking them clear out of the container. Using this method I could play forever with no danger of the screen ever filling up. Is this meant to happen or a result of the slowdown confusing Newton?

Anyway I'll try it on my laptop later and see how it performs on there.

Good luck in the compo.

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2005 23:33
I continue to find it scary how much output Walaber produces. He must have 30 hours in every day or something.

Cheer if you like bears! Cheer if you like jam sandwiches!
P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 05:38
Hi Walaber
This is a really great game! Just got a few suggestions for what I would improve:

- Have an option to turn particle effects off, or an option to decrease the quality of the spheres - The game runs very smoothly until I click to fire a ball or when four touching balls disappear, when it slows down considerably.

- When I finished, the 'game over' text appeared in the top left of the screen rather than in the middle as I think it's meant to be...looked like it was centred to a 800x600 screen or something. I'm not sure what happened there.

- Just a small thing really - when entering my name for the high scores list, it won't accept capitalised letters - maybe you could just change what the users typing to lowercase with the lower$(string) command before trying to print it to the screen.

- Also, if you can let the player select a difficulty level, that would be cool - I was playing for ages and the difficulty only seemed to be getting slightly harder - kind of gave up playing after a while when my score passed 140,000 lol

Hope I helped - this is definitely a very nice game

Robin

http://www.thegameszone.tk | robin@thegameszone.tk

"You guys are so unhip it's a wonder your bums don't fall off"
shiny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 16:59
Please please make the aiming crosshair turn the color of the next block you are going to shoot! This would save allot of looking to the side to find out whats next.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 00:31
Damn good! Does need a little polishing off. Like fog says, it's possible to knock out more balls than are arriving for the first 5 minutes.

Is this a puzzle? This is going to be a difficult "categorization" in this compo, probably for 50% of the entries.

BatVink
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 02:07
thanks for the comments... if I wasn't so busy I'd add several of the suggestions made, like changing the crosshair color, etc... unfortunately I just finished a big international move, and don't have the time to work on the project any more before the deadline...

it was a great game for me though, because I learned a lot programming it.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 09:03
Walaber, Can I have your permission to review this game for the first edition of our newsletter. We will be reviewing 5 entrants to this competition and this looks like good reviewing fodder.

Thanks.

WE SHALL BECOME ALL POWERFUL! CRUSH THE LESSER RACES! CONQUER THE GALAXY! UNIMAGINABLE POWER! UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING ! ! ! ETC. ! ! ! ETC.! ! !
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 01:41
go for it! make sure you post a link to the newsletter somewhere when it's done!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 01:25
just a note that I have released on my website an updated version of the game which should fix the slowdown problems people were experiencing.

http://walaber.com/connect_more/ConnectMore_v1_2.rar

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

FXTC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 22:02
wow nice game walaber

AMD 2,4 512MB RAM,2x200GB hdd,GforceFX5700GT128MB

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:45:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:45:50